vonTeslacx

Investing more in SEA server?

I've been playing the game for merely 5k battles, and I've started to consider spending more real money in the game for both premium tanks and premium account, as well as most importantly time to grind high tier tanks 8-10. However after spending some time reading through this forum and other communities, it has come to my attention that SEA seems to be considered as 'second class' server in comparison to EU, NA or RU in many aspects, both subtle and rather clear one. There are fewer clans because of fewer player overall and so on. One cannot help to wonder if one has missed something by simply being in SEA server.

I don't know about the viability of moving to EU or NA because the ping to there might be worse. But do you think is it worth it to invest more in SEA server? Or should I rather keep spending to minimum and look for opportunities to create account in other server. 

Thank You 

If you enjoy the game, keep playing/paying for it.  Doesn't mater what server you're on.

But I'm starting to doubt if I will continue enjoying the game in the future by only playing random battles. I like to try coordinated battles but it seems most of the existing clan in SEA that do so is already at the highest skill level, or require specific language other than English as a requirement.

Why don't you create an account on NA/EU/watev and see it for yourself? There are tools that can mod your SEA client to connect to other servers without having to download it again.

As for latencies, it really depends on where you live as well as your ISP to an extent. Some consider anything above 200ms to be unplayable but others like Retia can get 60% WR on that much ping so it is really up to you to decide what is more important.

As for organised play, sadly SEA can be a bit lacking on this apsect, however from what I read here NA is not faring much better at the moment.

I've been playing the game for merely 5k battles, and I've started to consider spending more real money in the game for both premium tanks and premium account, as well as most importantly time to grind high tier tanks 8-10. However after spending some time reading through this forum and other communities, it has come to my attention that SEA seems to be considered as 'second class' server in comparison to EU, NA or RU in many aspects, both subtle and rather clear one. There are fewer clans because of fewer player overall and so on. One cannot help to wonder if one has missed something by simply being in SEA server.

It would help if you could point out exactly what aspects those are, I'm in the minority of people who has played on both servers and most people are talking out of their ass without any proper statistical basis or even anecdotal evidence.  For example, to use the player population point you raised, it hardly matters that ASIA reaches 25k-30k PCCU(peak concurrent users) when during your primetime NA West and East combined only hit 10k PCCU( regardless of the fact that NA has a PCCU of 40k when you are sleeping/unable to play)

See for further pub match impressions

In terms of server management I'd definitely rank the WG ASIA staff as being far more incompetent than NA, but the follow on effect that this has on the exclusively pub-game playing. population is minimal, it is mostly the competitive endgame that is on the receiving end of this sort of mismanagement. 

I don't know about the viability of moving to EU or NA because the ping to there might be worse. But do you think is it worth it to invest more in SEA server? Or should I rather keep spending to minimum and look for opportunities to create account in other server. 

Thank You 

You have to give more information about yourself, i.e, what timezone you are active in,what languages you speak and what specifically you are looking to get out of world of tanks (not just "organized gameplay" - but whether or not it is tournaments, clan wars, strongholds, etc).

As it stands I don't know what exactly you want to get out of the end-game. If for example, you live in GMT+7 and live by an atypical working schedule, it's going to be hard for you to get Clan wars or tournaments in North America outside of weekends.  

If timing isnt an issue, and you care about your hardcore CW and e-sport competitive endgame, NA is a preferable server due to a multitude of factors - relatively better management, better rewards, unified community (on the basis of language), more CW depth spread across fewer timezones (conversely more on-map and off-map interaction) and opportunities for players of all skill levels to participate in the tournament format (skirmishes). That is provided you can overcome a ping handicap that will impact med/LT gameplay and your RL schedule doesn't clash with it. 

My advice is to stay away from SEA. The main reason is that NA you get alot more cohesian in the teams. Better gameplay and better strategies. Teams can actually work together sometimes.

It is so funny watching NA streamers complain about either server but particularly about west coast, if they played SEA they would think NA west was heaven.

The main reason for this is language. At least on NA you all pretty much speak english but on SEA there are at least 9 different languages. That is why I would recommend NA over EU also as I hear they have similar problems but not anywhere near as pronounced as SEA.

If you play from Australia (especially eastern seaboard) then definitely play NA. The packet loss to SEA (even though it has a better ping) is quite frankly insane. When 30-40% of your packets disappear once they hit Singapore the rubber banding can cause you to pull your hair out. 

I have recently rerolled NA and it is a much more pleasant experience.

But I'm starting to doubt if I will continue enjoying the game in the future by only playing random battles. I like to try coordinated battles but it seems most of the existing clan in SEA that do so is already at the highest skill level, or require specific language other than English as a requirement.

Agree with what others say about location and ping, which definitely matters. 

I'm pretty sure it takes a lot less, tank wise to get into the SEA competitive arena, especially if you're playing in the far east TZ. Beyond that, I'm not really sure about how the NA CW meta works, but yeah clan choices can be pretty limited by language. 

Thanks for your input guys. I'll create account in NA server just to try how it feels. (Staying most of time in OZ) 

On the other hand I really wish I knew I could have chosen which server to register into instead of mindlessly accepting WG recommendation that I should go to SEA server.

I switched over from NA to SEA, it's not that bad really.  And some clans requirements are actually more flexible than they seem (Petco, I'm looking at us).  Also if you get on to NA to do Clan Wars you're going to have to play at some awkard times of day

I play on both NA and SEA, trust me, while the difference may have been night and day when SEA first opened, the gap has closed considerably.

The pubbie skill level on USWest is barely any better than SEA, USEast is considerably better but the ping an make that server difficult for people in the SEA region.

People claiming that NA is so much better than SEA are likely basing that opinion on playing there 2 years ago, much has changed in those 2 years.

I play on both NA and SEA, trust me, while the difference may have been night and day when SEA first opened, the gap has closed considerably.

The pubbie skill level on USWest is barely any better than SEA, USEast is considerably better but the ping an make that server difficult for people in the SEA region.

People claiming that NA is so much better than SEA are likely basing that opinion on playing there 2 years ago, much has changed in those 2 years.

Na IS better than SEA. For the simple reason you can ask at the start "anyone rushing hill?" and you will get a "fuckoff noob" back instead of @#$$%%^. Yes you have some skillful people at SEA but the cohesion is better at NA when you get to mid to upper tiers than it is at SEA. Yes NA players there is worse than NA west and it is called the SEA server.

Also you rarely get bots at NA, you still see them at SEA and you rarely get a game (once past the gold seller tier) where a tank doesn't leave cap (even it is just to move to the corner to snipe). At SEA I still regularly see up to 4 premium tanks just sitting at cap collecting credits. 

Na IS better than SEA. For the simple reason you can ask at the start "anyone rushing hill?" and you will get a "fuckoff noob" back instead of @#$$%%^. Yes you have some skillful people at SEA but the cohesion is better at NA when you get to mid to upper tiers than it is at SEA. Yes NA players there is worse than NA west and it is called the SEA server.

Also you rarely get bots at NA, you still see them at SEA and you rarely get a game (once past the gold seller tier) where a tank doesn't leave cap (even it is just to move to the corner to snipe). At SEA I still regularly see up to 4 premium tanks just sitting at cap collecting credits. 

It is, it definitely is.  And the number of bots in the mid-tiers (are they bots? or just really really bad? regardless sub 100 WN8 players) can be frustrating at times, but personally, knowing both, I don't think I would deal with the reroll, grinding all the tanks again, rebuying premium, and dealing with at least 220 ms ping (sometimes it jumps to over 300 baseline ping and at that point you just can't play period) to taste the difference.  Plus the guy wants strongholds and clanwars and maybe platoons? and I think a lot of the clans wont' be active when he's on unless he has a weird daily schedule.  The entire reason I changed to SEA was to play Clan Wars because I couldn't find a clan in NA that suited a normal schedule.  The time zones in NA for clan wars are  11pm GMT to 3 AM GMT which is 10 am to 2 pm for Sydney.  

It is, it definitely is.  And the number of bots in the mid-tiers (are they bots? or just really really bad? regardless sub 100 WN8 players) can be frustrating at times, but personally, knowing both, I don't think I would deal with the reroll, grinding all the tanks again, rebuying premium, and dealing with at least 220 ms ping (sometimes it jumps to over 300 baseline ping and at that point you just can't play period) to taste the difference.  Plus the guy wants strongholds and clanwars and maybe platoons? and I think a lot of the clans wont' be active when he's on unless he has a weird daily schedule.  The entire reason I changed to SEA was to play Clan Wars because I couldn't find a clan in NA that suited a normal schedule.  The time zones in NA for clan wars are  11pm GMT to 3 AM GMT which is 10 am to 2 pm for Sydney.  

Watch Barks_Internally's stream http://www.twitch.tv/barks_internally he plays from Adelaide at 230ms ping when streaming and he does REALLY well. Personally I get 170ms ping to NA west from Brisbane using Telstra cable. I have iinet at the office and it is pretty bad to NA and even SEA seems to get more packet loss than my bigpond cable.

The big difference is the packet loss. The Rubber banding that we take for granted when playing on SEA is non existent to NA west. East is also better but the ping is a bit too high. I have done multiple traceroutes from iinet, bigpond and TPG and they all say the same thing. Packets start disappearing when they hit Singapore. You would be surprised just how high the average packet loss is. It is about 30% on average but there are times when it is 50%. You don't realize just how bad it is until you start playing NA.

As for re-rolling I agree with you, I am not going put all that effort in and spend money on another account. I will be playing non premium and I imagine I will get tier 8 max. I am happily working towards the bulldog  and I may leave it at that. The t67 is proving lots of OP fun and if the pixel tanks actually had a German crew I could train up I would get the RU.

Incidentally if you are going to reroll now is the time. Just pixel tank for the win. My USA crew are working their way through the 4th perk and my russian and french both have 2 perks and working through 3rd. Even if you think there is a slight chance you might eventually reroll NA play the pixel tanks now and get the crews ready.. Then let them sit there until you are ready.

I feel sorry for the guys who started on NA and were lured to SEA under the false pretenses. They really should be allowed to move back to NA but Wg being the arrogant dickheads they are won't allow it. Even though they have basically ripped these guys off.

edit: incidentally barks tried rerolling SEA and came up against the wall of rubber banding/packet loss and half bot teams and gave up on the place. He did ok while he was there though.

qY5ciEM.png

Yeah I played 7.5k games on NA and still keep my account there. Most of hte time ping to NA west was ~230 ms to east ~270-280 and it's actually fine there.  I did notice I would hit shots that looked like they should've missed, far more often then I did things like put shells into walls while rounding corners (didn't use server reticle because v0v).  It's quite fine.  And I don't know what the Aus experience is like playing on SEA at all since I'm in Cambodia.  

I'm glad to keep a hold of the NA account, not that I seemingly had an option of transferring.