Otis

Otis's Cookbook of Superior Baked Treats

I'd appreciate spending some time going over most of the items you listed out in the OP, but especially refining my thought process around coming up with a plan, adjusting the plan as initial deployment and engagements unfold, and taking advantage of opportunities. Extra kudos if you are able to make it support/autoloader-centric since I am inconsistent about turning damage into wins in those types.

I'm generally on or available from 9/930pm until 1am or so EST, most days of the week. I too am hard-capped by little ones' bedtimes! 

Worked with Otis a few weeks go and just wanted to drop the recommendation for his services.

First, as advertised, he went through a couple mediocre replays I sent him and laid out in frank terms what he was thinking as he was watching. Often I was the special snowflake when he would say "At this point I expect you go X" and of course I'd head over to Y and do dumb things over there instead. Really, kidding aside, he made helpful criticism to point out some of the many things I was doing wrong, and more importantly, to me at least, things I was missing ENTIRELY. Like shots on tanks, being in lines of fire, over extending, etc.

Next we got together on TS and he did an in person review of another replay, where my decision making continued to confuse his elite unicum methods, and more lessons were dropped about reading teams at the start of the map, and then paying attention to flanks for better shots and protection. Even though I wasn't going where he would have gone in similar situations he took the time to talk about how to make each decision better, and once committed how to make each position I did take more useful, which was equally important to me.

Anyways, after that I platooned up with him and one of his friends and we ran through a group of tier 9 medium tank matches where he had me call out team dispositions at loading and say "I'm going here because X" in order to evaluate just what the fuck I was thinking. Having to say what I was doing out loud like that pretty much instantly made me make better decisions. Anyways, been a couple weeks since and have seen myself making constant improvements to my game as I continue to refine the processes he pointed out.

I'll be back for a round two sometime soon to help me out some more. But in the meantime, Otis thanks again!

Hey Otis, I have a few somewhat specific questions, a friday evening coming up, and the other requirements. Think you'll be available for a bit? I'll probably be on around 7pm EST.

edit: This forum shows your in game name. How nice.

I can has refresher course in tonks?

No, I'm being serious. I've been playing like shit ever since I got back, would like feedback on my play to re-attain my level of skill being going on hiatus.

Just hit me up in TS sometime and we can platoon a bit or go over replays as necessary.  I'm pretty sure I did some stronks with you during your eval process and I don't have any impression of you, which is neither good nor bad.

Otis, I'm not sure if you are still doing this but if you are, I need help.  From the stretch of around 3k-5k battles, I felt like I was making improvement, I actually got up to a 54% recent at one point.  As I have gone up in tier, my improvement first stalled, and now has plummeted.  Last 60 days (350ish games) 45% :# .  I'll understand if you'd rather not platoon with fail-lord, but if there is any chance you could watch a few replays or any contribution to helping me out of this slump.

Thanks.

Otis, I'm not sure if you are still doing this but if you are, I need help.  From the stretch of around 3k-5k battles, I felt like I was making improvement, I actually got up to a 54% recent at one point.  As I have gone up in tier, my improvement first stalled, and now has plummeted.  Last 60 days (350ish games) 45% :# .  I'll understand if you'd rather not platoon with fail-lord, but if there is any chance you could watch a few replays or any contribution to helping me out of this slump.

Thanks.

If you send me a PM with the replay links I will watch them and critique.  I will also try in-game mentoring if necessary but lately my play time has been restricted so replays are typically easier.

RIP [AWFUL] heavy pushes without Otis!

I will truly miss yelling at people to push, it was my favorite part of calling.  RIP _Nordic when the next campaign hits.

Out of curiosity, when it comes to sending replays, which kind of replays do you find most useful to critique? Good ones or bad ones? I ask because at my current skill level I find I tend to alternate between 3000-5000 WN8 games and 500-1000 WN8 games, with few in the middle. I would assume that the bad games would be most useful since something clearly went wrong, but often that means that the game ended early for me, so there wouldn't be as many decisions to critique.

I tend to prefer seeing either an average game or slightly above average game.  Outstanding games can be occasionally useful, but from what I've seen a lot of those outliers are caused more by what the enemy did than by the player's actions.  Seeing a replay of the enemy driving in front of your gun at reload intervals isn't exactly going to be useful.  The potato games are usually pretty straightforward as to why you died, so there's typically not much to say.

That said, you can learn something from almost any game.  What I typically ask people to do is just play a 5-10 game session and send me the replay's for three of them.

Sounds good.  I saw them but I have been busy this week so I haven't had the chance to look at them.  I should have some time tonight and I will get you some feedback.

Edit:  I am a terrible person and didn't get to it this weekend.  I just wanted to let you know that I didn't forget about it, I just got busy with the campaign and whatnot.