Oxmathus

Why Pub Matches Are Not Fun

lol yankee couldn't even get more than 2k dmg.

lol

There was something that an old friend of mine said that quit this game a long time ago. It goes something like:

"There comes a point when you get too good, so your expectations rise, but eventually, your expectations rise so high that it gets harder and harder to meet them for you to become satisfied. Thus you start to enjoy yourself less and less and you become more easily frustrated as time goes on. This eventually leads to the disappointment"

Something like that.

Anyways, when we started this game, we usually would never feel this feel. Like back then we wouldn't care about winning or losing, we just wanted to play tanks and shoot stuff. Now we all wanna win and get high dpg's and wn8 but the amount of retard in pubs denies, so this no = fun.

so accurate

Keep in mind the reason you have high stats is because there are so many clueless bastards who just get outskilled. If you would be playing every game against people of the same skill the wins and wn8 would fluctuate

Can no one have fun in this game anymore? I've had as much fun as ever in the past 2 months. The WZ-111 kills mission was a fun way to expand my garage and farm mad credits and decent WN8. These individual missions have been another chance to just say "fuck it, lets run a LT arty platoon and laugh as we click people to death". Shit get a T49 and feel the warm brace of RNJesus. For every 5 misses at 60m, you get that 1 shot where you set a T34 on fire for 1400 dmg and just trololololololo. The pubbies have been right all along, play4fun. The envelopes of DPG, WN8, etc have been explored. And the teams were retarded 2 years ago, just as they are today! 

But as I said in my status update a few days ago, if like 200 people on Ox's, Jacky's, etc level can quit, I can be the best in WoT (not really jacg will always be better and will likely never quit because he plays4fun)

Oh my gosh yes. I started running full HE only in my T49 and the roflderps have made the game so much fun. Especially when I run across say a 131 who doesn't expect a 910 average roll. trlolololololo!!!

I'm basically with Crab at this point. It took me a year to claw my way to below average uni overall. I was hitting 3k recents for extended weeks. Then I said "why"? I didn't have an answer. So now I chase missions and play whatever tank I want to out of my 200 plus. The medium yolo rush against the enemy arty to get that mission done yesterday was more fun than I have had in months. I spend entire games looking for 3 tanks close enough to splash. At least it's more interesting than playing my pref 8 op mobiles endlessly.

Can no one have fun in this game anymore? I've had as much fun as ever in the past 2 months. The WZ-111 kills mission was a fun way to expand my garage and farm mad credits and decent WN8. These individual missions have been another chance to just say "fuck it, lets run a LT arty platoon and laugh as we click people to death". Shit get a T49 and feel the warm brace of RNJesus. For every 5 misses at 60m, you get that 1 shot where you set a T34 on fire for 1400 dmg and just trololololololo. The pubbies have been right all along, play4fun. The envelopes of DPG, WN8, etc have been explored. And the teams were retarded 2 years ago, just as they are today! 

But as I said in my status update a few days ago, if like 200 people on Ox's, Jacky's, etc level can quit, I can be the best in WoT (not really jacg will always be better and will likely never quit because he plays4fun)

Seen you in a match on steppes the otherday in your Fv304 and I was in my LeFh, was a good game. even though we lost. But even after we both died you were joking around in chat with the pubbies, and I was like I'm sorry crab I tried to tunnel my inner puffmo. I agree though, the missions are something fun to work towards. and when your solo pubbing in arty, what can you really do? yeah some maps you can hope you can carry in, but others its more fun to tickle a tog to death =P

* I didn't tickle a tog to death, no togs were injured in my recent gameplays, only a churchill 7. Because dat 152mm front to hard to pen* :D

Some of the most enjoyable runs are with other purples like Crab or jacg - people who are good players, will try to win, but don't care about the win TOO much.  We run around in fun tanks with terrible platoon compositions and shoot red tanks and still seem to win 70%+ which is sufficient in my book.  (ps - we still need to do triple T49 platoons)

Was gonna ask when did Crab stop caring too much about wins and generally being a tryhard, but he already answered. :doge:

But it's good to see more good players figuring out what i've been saying for a while. Almost makes me want to play the game again.

Almost. :serb:

+1 to Crab's posts. I try to win (you'd never know from my stats), but always have a lot of laughs when a KV2 points that pipey-looking thing at me.

And , by the way, if about a 1,000,000 of you would quit, I can be the best in WoT.

I've found the perfect way to fend off the frustration with pubbies, arty, random little lag spikes and just flat derping out. I pick a tank I want to work on and then takes notes or doodle between games, just to put a buffer between each game, especially if they were bad. If I just bounce from game to game, the frustration accumulates, I don't settle into a groove and I shit the bed. But if I draw silly cartoons about the stupid shit I see (or do, let's be honest), it lets me laugh about it so I can't stay mad. After awhile, it makes me want to see stupid shit, just so I can doodle about it.    

Games like keep me interested. Pulling things like that off are just too much fun to pass up. The "FU HACKER!!" PM i got from the T54 made it that much better.

I think with WoT, the following statement is true:

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

Whether you like the game or not, enjoy playing it or not, after a certain playing it for a certain amount of time most of the emotion you have towards it will probably be negative...

Long ago somebody asked me "don't u feel good carrying bad teams". to which I replied something to the extent of "do you find it fun to outdo 10000 racers in a 100 mile marathon only to have an invisible concrete wall smash you in the face 1 inch before the finish line?"

that's what I equate this game to. you can do it all, you can do your best, and you will still lose when the odds are stacked against you. you can define the odds any way you want, too much typing to go in detail.

Was the El Halluf before or after this session of 5 games?

4 players over 2k on my team and 2 players over 2k on your team.

*edit* welp, this confirms it. I can't read for shit. It was the 3rd screenshot.

@OP (Mr  Oxmathus)

How would you feel about a LoL system, where you had a choice of random pub matches, or ranked games which only contained players of a similar ranking to yourself (but randomly allocated to teams - maybe where you get 3 mins to work out between you who is going to play what tank?).

Sounds to me like you might enjoy the latter more than the former, and if stats were kept separate then you'd have two sources of epeen ? 

Sorry, last time I read this thread was a few days ago, stats to me, at this point, mean nothing, I've reached everything I wanted to, I surpassed 80% win ratio with 300+ games being during the personal mission shit, WN8 amounts are so changeable it's easy to go from 5k playing my 140/62 to 3500 playing heavies/tds. But the point is that the problem with that "skill based" system is that how would it be ranked on? Recent wn8? win ratio? tank damages? individual tank win rates? what about overall win ratio/wn8? There also is no way there would be ~30 people in the ~.1% to even create a battle within any sort of reasonable time. Well the point besides me giving a shitty response is that it would never happen and even if it could there are so many ways around it, there would be more issues than fixes it would have

I think there's a very simple explanation for what's wrong with solo-pubbing in random battles:

1- You depend on cooperation with other players.

2- Without voice chat, there's no way to effectively coordinate in the randoms.

That's it, that's the great mystery unraveled. Of course this is just the humble opinion of a tomato skreb and I don't expect anyone to take it seriously. Still, whenever I debate to myself "should I play tanks today?" it feels like the answer is always that there's more to lose than there is to gain. Unless the situation calls for the use of something blatantly OP to club seals with, team dependence is the one stumbling block that cannot be overcome. And golly, isn't it a fun one at that. What could ever be more rage-inducing than needing someone else just to not be AFK for a few consecutive seconds, and watching them drool over their keyboard.

At this point, the game is just a means to an end. If the only way to have any fun is to abuse the OP tanks, so be it.

I think there's a very simple explanation for what's wrong with solo-pubbing in random battles:

That's it, that's the great mystery unraveled. Of course this is just the humble opinion of a tomato skreb and I don't expect anyone to take it seriously. Still, whenever I debate to myself "should I play tanks today?" it feels like the answer is always that there's more to lose than there is to gain. Unless the situation calls for the use of something blatantly OP to club seals with, team dependence is the one stumbling block that cannot be overcome. And golly, isn't it a fun one at that. What could ever be more rage-inducing than needing someone else just to not be AFK for a few consecutive seconds, and watching them drool over their keyboard.

At this point, the game is just a means to an end. If the only way to have any fun is to abuse the OP tanks, so be it.

That wouldn't fix EU, we have like 2 two servers and 40 languages, sure a lot can speak English but most don't. 

There is game chat, there are map pings, it's not that hard to communicate with people without actually needing to speak to them.

But the point is 90% of the playerbase don't look at their mini-map, a huge proportion have chat turned off, most don't notice it and the rest probably don't care. 

You can give all the communication tools you like, it won't stop the 400 WN8 only heavy tank on your team camping behind arty, because that is all he knows, because once in 2010 he got 4 kills from that position and because he is grown man/arrogant child and won't be told what to do by some random in a game. 

That wouldn't fix EU, we have like 2 two servers and 40 languages, sure a lot can speak English but most don't. 

There is game chat, there are map pings, it's not that hard to communicate with people without actually needing to speak to them.

But the point is 90% of the playerbase don't look at their mini-map, a huge proportion have chat turned off, most don't notice it and the rest probably don't care

You can give all the communication tools you like, it won't stop the 400 WN8 only heavy tank on your team camping behind arty, because that is all he knows, because once in 2010 he got 4 kills from that position and because he is grown man/arrogant child and won't be told what to do by some random in a game. 

This certainly has a huge factor on bad pub matches or even the ability to properly evaluate a mini map. If only the average player increased their ability by a very low percentage on map knowledge and evaluating the situation match quality could increase. Teamwork, blah never going to happen to many ME’s to form a fighting unit.

Im sure as hell not ``waiting for`` voice com, im not even using ts in platoons, infact, i only know 2 people who use ts often when platooning.

Im playing for myself, not for the 14 turds in my team, sure i hate losing, and i thus wanna win, but im not gonna make a tacticool pluton with tektiks, voicecoms and other crap, the day suchs cooperation is needed is the day i quit wot

ps: and i doubt VOIP would work on RU server, too much ragers, let alone on EU, every game atleast 10 different nationalitys, of which atleast 4+ are hating eachother, trow in drunks, kids, trolls and you get total madness, from a ``trolling POV`` it will be nice, but game-play wise?

ps ps: those with an EU account, go read the general chat once in a while for the lolz (and those are the above average players, not the 45% suicide bat chats who rage on ``noob teams``...)

EU chat confirmed far more ridiculous than NA. NA gets spergy, but the true morons are either quiet, or spread out more than EU....and everyone on EU knows you're cheating, just ask them. Also, in the few matches I have there, the gold spam rage is hilarious. Had an IS-6 flip the fuck out about me spamming HEAT from my 34-3 through his UFP to finish him off. Like I'm gonna sit there and slug it out with him, or try to snipe his hatch.

As for GM's comment about drunks, that's the only way I play this game for extended periods of time; drunk. Some people aren't super spergy drunks.