Derpinator2013

yellow/green/blue/purple = fail

I've tried guys.

You've been there, in a battle, with a guy like me.

We say something like, "I'm new, please help. Tell me where to go because I'm 'top tank' and don't know how to help most."

And you say nothing.

So a percentage of your fails with "fail teams" are due to you not answering.

Just happened to me. I had 8 players on my team better than me but I was "top tank" e.g. the only T7 in the match against only 1 other T7.

And when I asked, no one answered.

So remember this: you lose a few times a year by assuming you will win without listening to the ones asking for help.

-Derp

Just telling you what part of the map to go to won't help. You are going to have to do some reading outside the game to figure out what to do.

EDIT: Go to get started. Also make sure to look up vision mechanics. Learning how to abuse those has had the single greatest impact on my performance.

It would be nice wouldn't it? If someone could just pre-package victory in a 30 second countdown? The truth is you have to do like these guys already responded. It's the work you do outside the game that will make the difference inside. Watch videos of other players, read the map guides and put your videos up for others to critique, and review them yourself. You'll learn more that way by analyzing what you did wrong and what you did right to figure out the things in game that you can control. Do yourself a favor and don't come back here with the whiney attitude though. You won't last here if you do.

I'm usually busy enough trying to figure out what I need to do.

If you're in a scout on Malinovka, I'll ping where the magic bush is.  If you're in a very obvious situation, like a T29 on Murovanka, I will ping the hills for you, but you're not going to get a dissertation on what you need to do, because it is a bit more involved than moving to a location on the map.  Furthermore, pinging the wrong place before the game (even if it is where people should be going) can cause some seriously strange lemming trains.

It is almost as annoying as having someone complain that I am not going to the meatgrinder location where they think I should be going (E-75, top tier but several big 8/9 TDs, I go north on Arctic Region and catch crap.... why?)  I've had people complain that I am not taking my FCM 50t in to direct peekaboo combat with Tiger 2s. Brilliant. Just because it's a heavy tank.

Bottom line: If you ask, I may try to help a bit, but it's actually probably not worth my time to give you a good response, because it takes me a little while to figure out what I should be doing myself, and that time is better spent, for me, on me, than a player that may not have the slightest idea what to do when they get there - players in the 44-47% range generally, but not always, lack the basic skills needed to perform in combat in the game.

It's better to ask for help than not, just be aware that the players most inclined to give you help are quite possibly not looking at chat, but rather looking at their team's composition compared to the enemy team.

Also try platooning with more experienced players. Find out if they use Teamspeak or Ventrillo and ask to join them in it. By doing this you'll pickup some new techniques and strategies. This also gives you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.

Battles are to dynamic for us to just tell you, go here or there. Because you're new, most of us aren't gonna be able to help. You learn the game by reading up and just experiencing the game. Almost everyone here has said the same thing. Also pointing you in the right direction isn't going to do a whole lot if you don't have the knowledge to exploit the positions. Sure you can point and shoot, however I can't trust you to move to good specific places of cover and be useful. There is nothing wrong with this because everyone needs to learn but its not something we can just magically grant you with by typing something in.

So you think I'm asking for a packaged plan in 10 seconds?

I see where I went wrong by asking.

Let me paraphrase what I thought might happen:

"Heavies below T7 to E5, mediums same teir, on their sides. Lights to c7 but stay alive. TDs, split between a3 and d0, except you t49, try G4. gl hf."

But I get it now. The game is designed to prevent teams outside of platoons on voice chat from working.

I think I might be done.

Gonna think it through.

Thanks all.

Have you ever played a multyplayer game where somebody is willing to basically teach you how to play in the time between rounds?

Expecting such high levels of comunications in MMO's is optimistic to say the least.

If you need help, post here or read the threads that are interesting to you. It wont take you more then 20-30 minutes a day to be always up to date with maps and game mechanics.

No offense, but if you are honestly this lost, go back to lower tiers to learn. "This game is not a race to the top. it's about the journey" (can't remember which member said this) I only say this because as tier goes up, so does the skill and knowledge of the game that is required. You really should have an idea of about where to go based on your tank type, your place in MM, and your team makeup. It is a lot to learn to be good at this game. Here is a great guide by Sela where he breaks down the maps into lanes of attack and kill box areas you should never go. This is actually one of the most useful threads I have seen lately. Just understand, there are many options since the game is so dynamic. You found the right place to ask for help. This forum is by the players for the players. Here is the link.

He has been adding maps as it goes so not everything is on the 1st page, so make sure you go through the whole topic. Good Luck, The fact that you are here seeking help is a good start to getting out of the red.

No offense, but if you are honestly this lost, go back to lower tiers to learn. "This game is not a race to the top. it's about the journey" (can't remember which member said this) I only say this because as tier goes up, so does the skill and knowledge of the game that is required. You really should have an idea of about where to go based on your tank type, your place in MM, and your team makeup. It is a lot to learn to be good at this game. Here is a great guide by Sela where he breaks down the maps into lanes of attack and kill box areas you should never go. This is actually one of the most useful threads I have seen lately. Just understand, there are many options since the game is so dynamic. You found the right place to ask for help. This forum is by the players for the players. Here is the link.

He has been adding maps as it goes so not everything is on the 1st page, so make sure you go through the whole topic. Good Luck, The fact that you are here seeking help is a good start to getting out of the red.

This. I found that once i started slowing Down with speed grinding and just playing in lower tiers helped alot on the improvement scale.

Atm i'd say what you can do is find a tank tier 6 or below that you really like and just learn the game mechanics with it. learn that tanks strengths, weaknesses, and such. and once you have learnt how to dissect a tank you will be able to play other tanks better as well because you will be more aware of their playstyle.

Atm it takes me 10~20 games in a tank to find its playstyle (maybe more if i cant elite it before then, or at least get the top gun) but after that I find i can do really well in it.

While I appreciate others telling you to take the time to learn on the forums, and are pointing you to good resources, it seems an opportunity is being missed.  

Yes, use those resources, but for the rest of us:

Good coordination and tips CAN and SHOULD be given in the 30 seconds prior to the game starting.  

I do it, even though I know that it will sometimes be ignored and/or mocked.  

Amusingly, I've been recognized by my standard lines.  

"Heavies below T7 to E5, mediums same teir, on their sides. Lights to c7 but stay alive. TDs, split between a3 and d0, except you t49, try G4. gl hf."

But I get it now. The game is designed to prevent teams outside of platoons on voice chat from working.

I think I might be done.

Gonna think it through.

Thanks all.

Have you seen some of the attitudes pubbies commonly exhibit?  I don't think anyone can be blamed for trying to avoid talking to pubbies during a match, if possible.  (Lest they accidentally bruise someone's ego and end up with a dickhead troll for the rest of the match.)

"fk u"

"you can't tell me wat to doo!"

*no reply*

...etc.

Have you seen some of the attitudes pubbies commonly exhibit?  I don't think anyone can be blamed for trying to avoid talking to pubbies during a match, if possible.  (Lest they accidentally bruise someone's ego and end up with a dickhead troll for the rest of the match.)

"fk u"

"you can't tell me wat to doo!"

*no reply*

...etc.

If you actually try to politely wrangle them up, you get a decent response, and the people that say "you can't tell me what to do!" are often jesting.  

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give you a game plan. If you expect so, please quit the game. These are 7-min, 30-man brawls, I could play hundreds in a day, and I have enough to chat about in the 30-sec countdown as it is. I'm not taking the time to give instructions to everyone that says "plan?". You want help? Seek me out. Don't bug me while I'm trying to play with my Ziddy.

/rant

You can't expect us to WANT to help you every single time considering some of the shitty responses we get.
Not everyone has that kind of energy and/or determination.

Speaking for myself here, I don't recall ever seeing anyone asking in chat where they should go. I have tried to organize teams many times and its worked a grand total of 1 time. Most people in random matches are too unwilling to listen to somebody else's ideas.

Why do you need someone to tell you where to go?

I don't install XVM because I don't wanna be demoralized. Someone asking where to go invalidates the point of not installing XVM

Atm i'd say what you can do is find a tank tier 6 or below that you really like and just learn the game mechanics with it. learn that tanks strengths, weaknesses, and such. and once you have learnt how to dissect a tank you will be able to play other tanks better as well because you will be more aware of their playstyle.

This.

I've spend 1k games on hellcat as my top tier before hitting 3k total games and it helped me A LOT. The biggest advantage being understanding spotting mechanics.

I always frequented forums for vehicle-specific guides, always searched for weakspots of tanks i had problems penetrating ("type 59 weakspots" google search  =D  ).

And after installing XVM (at about 4k battles) i always followed good/great players (stat-wise) after i died to watch and learn.

Really all good advice.  Summary:

• 30 second chat is not the best way to learn; use the forums, guides, videos, platooning/voice
  • If you don't know the maps, you might want to play lower tiers until you have them worked out
  • Nobody owes you anything, and some people are helpful while some are not.  Find and focus on the helpful, there is a mentoring thread here

Except pearl river and sacred valley. On pearl if you see them derping at the start, remind them heavies to the chokepoint, everybody else around. Seems to usually have some effect.

On sacred they all tend to focus on one side of the map and fail miserably, especially at high tiers.. You would think they would have played it on test. But i digress. Having a high tier tank means you are immune from being told what to do... so they just cluster and die.

On fishermans bay if you see them camping on the hill for no reason, remind them to move...

etc. Thats what i do. Works one every 20 games but i figure, if its one game that ends with a win vs not, it's worth it.

No one can explain the game to you in a 30 second countdown. That's what things like forums are for.

Not unless you have TS and a really fast voice like me. Those years of FCing in EVE paid off here.

I think I might be done.

Gonna think it through.

Thanks all.

Figuring that out and typing it would result in me sitting there for a minute as the match starts. If I am calling a battle, that's about as much as I would give my team IN VOICE CHAT.  Of course, in that case, there is further guidance afterwards, but...  Would you like me to control your tank, too?

Best thing to say is "I don't know where to go here, could you ping a region for me to go to where I can be useful?"

If you want more structure in your game, try TCs.  

It depends on the map, but you usually don't want all of your top tier heavies (or top tier anything) going to the same spot on the map.

Also play styles vary widely even between tanks of the same class. So it falls to the operator to have at least a general idea of what to do.

EX: you don't want and AMX 50B trying to do an E100's job.