Sign in to follow this  
Solono

So, it finally happened...

It took what seems like a thousand years, but a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms game is being made to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the series.

There are very few games I say "Day 1 purchase, fuck what anyone says", in fact, this is the only series that has that privilege from me.

If you need to know why, just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHMhu4RNhA

Then this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNtx_XSjL4

Get hyped, even it's just me.

Can someone explain what this game is and what its appeal is?

Historical simulation game, typically a RTS or turn-based strategy. Depending on the version, it can also be a full-blown RPG on top of it all.

It is deep, meaningful, can be exceedingly difficult at times (See 9), and involves all kinds of fun drama and management. It is not an easy series to summarize, since it varies wildly from version to version (9 is nothing like 10, for example, and 10 is nothing like 11) except for the base it builds off of with the characters. It also has multiple endings, marriages, all kinds of fun things crammed into one box.

Two problems:

1) It has always been a very niche game, except perhaps at the beginning of its life.

2) Never get the superior PC versions (Although XI was PC released, so that may change), I would still kill my firstborn for an English version of 10 with the expansion.

Can someone explain what this game is and what its appeal is?

^^

edit; wo00w, s0lono screb replied at the same time I did, rip

the game looks rather interesting though

"...addicts that have kept up with the series and crave more of its rare gameplay will eat it up. Gamers that have never cared about or have never heard of the series don't have any reasons to give it a whirl."

Well said GamesRadar, well said....

"...addicts that have kept up with the series and crave more of its rare gameplay will eat it up. Gamers that have never cared about or have never heard of the series don't have any reasons to give it a whirl."

Well said GamesRadar, well said....

Except if you post in this thread and don't play it, I'll find out, and I'll RO you.

Consider that motivation to "give it a whirl".

Release date December 10th, also confirmed an Asian-English localization, and given thew newest Nobunaga's Ambition getting not just a Western release but a Western PC release, it's gonna be hard to imagine this not getting ported over given its enormously bigger pedigree over NA in, well, NA.

13 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

Sounds a bit like Crusader Kings II?

It depends, if it's closer to the style of 7, 8 or 10, it's has a pretty good chance of being better, for my money, than CK2. If it's more like the rest of the series, it would have more in common with the Europa Universalis series.

Koei's strategy games have developed in an interesting bubble simply due to the sheer age of both main series (They're 30 (RTK) and 32 years old (NA)), they are unique on their own so comparing them to other franchises isn't really fair.