Never

Dungeons & Dragons

I used to play a lot back in Junior High school.  That was so long ago that it was 2nd edition!  There is a card and game shop near me that does drop-in encounters on Wednesday nights and I have participated a few times.  It's a lot different than the system I was used to, thankfully THAC0 is gone from the game.

I don't currently play (a number of friends moved out of town and the group split up), but I have played a fair amount in the past.

I got my start back when things were a little confused, starting with what was then called "Basic" D&D (the red box), moving on to AD&D 2/e, then after a break coming back to 3.5e. We dabbled in 4e, but our group didn't like it so we went back to 3.5e and Pathfinder.

EDIT: And yes, THAC0 sucked, as did negative ACs.

Played briefly, never put a huge chunk of time into it.

Me and the guys preferred to raid in WoW instead, which kinda killed out our DnD phase.

I played a bit in HS, it was hands down some of the best social experiences I've ever had.

I like your optimist character, thats definitely my playstyle. Minus the nat 20s.

I've tried to stay with it when possible, but a gaming session these days required a month or more of prep work.  No, no prepping characters/worlds, lining up free time, arranging supervision for various offspring, etc.  It's become too difficult to arrange.  And once my group does manage to line such things up, we tend to get together, start drinking, start BSing, and DnD eventually fades to the background.  Still a good time, but increasingly hard to focus on the game.  

I've tried to stay with it when possible, but a gaming session these days required a month or more of prep work.  No, no prepping characters/worlds, lining up free time, arranging supervision for various offspring, etc.  It's become too difficult to arrange.  And once my group does manage to line such things up, we tend to get together, start drinking, start BSing, and DnD eventually fades to the background.  Still a good time, but increasingly hard to focus on the game.  

That's why I like the encounters I've been doing at the game shop.  They're part of a persistent campaign, but are designed to be played in 2.5 hour chunks every week and you can miss a week and not screw your party over.  You pay $5 to get in (your receipt turns into a voucher for $5 in store credit) and all you need to bring is your character sheet and dice.  The DMs are store employees all working from the same campaign materials.  It's a great way to play D&D here and there without it being a huge time sink.

I just started playing it recently again. Thinking about joining the DnD group at my school.

Is it cheap to get into DnD? And is it worth learning?

If you enjoy games where your mind provides the graphics and processing, absolutely.

Depending on how you get involved, the buy in can be minimal.  The group I've been talking about provides all of the necessary materials, even dice.  More hardcore players own all of the official guides, which aren't always cheap.  My investment at the moment is $4 for a nice set of dice and the $5 weekly entry fee.  It's more of an investment of both time and money for Dungeon Masters (DMs), because they need the books and compendiums to properly run a game.

I'm gonna step up on my old man soapbox for a minute.  The loose group that I play with includes several kids from the ages of 11-15.  These kids are terrible at engaging in theater of the mind.  I can only guess that growing up playing video games, which is largely a guided experience (even in so-called open world games) that they struggle with the concept of a game were anything can be done, anything is possible, and derping out and dying can be a semi-permanent state of play.  One kid that was in my group was incapable of working with a group, and when presented with scenarios where open combat would result in certain death, they would inevitably charge in against some half dragon three levels higher and die.  They'd then spend the next hour whining because nobody wanted to waste a once-daily resurrect spell on them.  I'll get off my soapbox now.

I currently play 3 "DnD" tables, 2 Pathfidner ones that a friend runs (one that's 1.5 years old and a new one), and i recently started running a 2nd edition Planescape/Forgotten one (love me some 2nd edition, it's a pity i have, more or less, to force my friends to play, haha, they ain't hardcore).

I'm going to reminisce about my favorite characters. I developed a bit of a powerbuilder reputation in my group (what, I find it FUN to have effective characters), and these kinda show why...

For the Age of Worms' legendarily tough Adventure Path, I built a Grey Elf Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 10/Archmage 5/Geometer 2. It was a little sloppily built, as it was my first 3.5 arcane caster, but he turned out to become an incredibly powerful Batman mage.

For Savage Tide, I built my best-ever melee character, a human Fighter 3/Swashbuckler 2/Dervish 10/Tempest 5. Dual-wielding scimitars, he was capable of sustained bursts of extremely high damage output augmented by the scimitar's high crit range. And once per day he would get 15 attacks a round. When I triggered that ability, the party would just get up and grab coffee/beer/etc...

My group has been making the dreadful mistake of loading me up on 2E Ravenloft supplements. The suffering will be real. MWAHAHAHAHA!!! 

I currently play 3 "DnD" tables, 2 Pathfidner ones that a friend runs (one that's 1.5 years old and a new one), and i recently started running a 2nd edition Planescape/Forgotten one (love me some 2nd edition, it's a pity i have, more or less, to force my friends to play, haha, they ain't hardcore).

Have you tried 5E at all? It has the charm and feel of 2E without a lot of well, what was stupid about 2E and a lot of what's been good about previous editions. 

Playing 5E currently.  It's a lot more noob friendly - characters are easier to create and combat rounds are simpler.  Also there is a lot less skill whoring - the GM has more opportunities to just say "shut up and roll it" without arguing about how this or that skill should also apply because this hamster has a pancake on its head. 

A+ will run again.

I never played DnD. There was no group at my school for some reason and I got into other systems like Dark Heresy at university. I like my 40k lore. I created a Redemptionist Preacher for this campaign called Jan Matthias (named for a famous reformation era heretic who died in the most 40k way imaginable, by charging with 30 followers into an entire army because God told him to). He lasted all of two sessions before I botched a knockdown roll and got shredded by an autopistol.

I really want to play DnD though. I'll need to see if there's a beginners group at my LGS.

I still play, prefer 3.5 to anything else.  If I DM then my rules are as follows:  Everything in character creation is random.  The reason is that too many of players Min/Max everything they can.  Having the random generation makes it more "real" in my eyes.  After people get over the idea of having the best of the best and having fun with their god awful creations is kickass.  Of course I scale down the encounters to more reasonable levels for the half orc spell caster. 

Have you tried 5E at all? It has the charm and feel of 2E without a lot of well, what was stupid about 2E and a lot of what's been good about previous editions. 

It's even worse than 4th edition i mean the problem with 4th was that it tried to be WoW, and WoW it's better at it, 5th it's just a poor excuse for a "my first rolepleying game" rated "E" for everyone. You want a fast paced game go play 2nd, you want a intricate game go play 3.5 or pathfidner, you want a less rules heavy go play 1st edition (regular, not advanced). 5th has no reason to exist, other than not trying to be like WoW.

I've read a lot of blogs praising 5th, and how many stupidities it avoids, the only things i've found are "thac0 is hard", and "the game presents a challenge even if you play published adventures", *whine*. Really, i get the people that like 3.5/Pathfinder, but not those who play 4th nor 5th

One kid that was in my group was incapable of working with a group, and when presented with scenarios where open combat would result in certain death, they would inevitably charge in against some half dragon three levels higher and die.  They'd then spend the next hour whining because nobody wanted to waste a once-daily resurrect spell on them.  I'll get off my soapbox now.

Yeah, well I bet at least he had chicken!

Also Never is gud artist, should make comics or something with those characters.

The only D&D I have ever plaed was Baldur'g Gate (1&2). I would love to find a group to play with. However, the only group around me locally is run by a guy I work with and well lets just say I wouldn't join if offered $1mil because he is about as smart as a box of rocks and story tells almost as badly... So yeah. However, I do wonder how this would work over Online? I have participated in email based tabletop wargaming before, ran a couple with a couple guys from WoWS, was fun for a first timer type of thing. I don't know how D&D would work though...

I play Pathfinder (Same thing as D&D) with my loser really cool friends on the weekends. Although we are not that serious about it. I always play a CHAI sniping elven rogue that has so much stealth that I can out camo a Borsig. So basically my whole party hates me.

Played every edition, I am that old. Still own all the old stuff too.

Age of Worms was incredibly difficult, so was the last Dungeon Magazine one where you had to go fight Demogorgon in his home plane. Fought through the original Giants series also. Those games had more depth than any video game can have.

Yes, today's youth is terrible at theatre of the mind, and by youth I mean less than 30. No one reads anymore, they watch the movie. When I entered university in 1987 everyone read Dune and the Lord of the Rings, now few have actually read the books. Most modern authors are terrible at describing a setting so its not all thier fault.

Playing 5e now, much better than 4e. The Tiamat adventures are pretty good so far, but it helps having all old material. I have link for almost everything in PDF form if anyone wants it.

No one reads anymore, they watch the movie.

little do they know the books are better.

Though on the topic of dnd, i haven't actually played which is kind of sad, though from my experiences with dnd through the video games based on it, i can safly say i don't like it that much. though ignoring the rules(as they are there to make it playable) it'd be a pretty fun. though would probably prefer something like runequest.