Masterpupil2

Looking To Build A New PC.

So my laptop seems to be crapping the bed again, as yesterday I could run WoT/CSGO on low-ish settings and run at 80 frames, and today it's at 20-30 frames. Now, I believe my laptop is over-heating, but I only played for 6 hours today whereas I normally play for way longer on any other day. I have no idea why this is happening, and I'm starting to not care as I WANT to move on. I cannot upgrade this laptop, and its good days are 3 years passed, so I want to join the Desktop™ side.

*This will be my first build, so bear with me. I'm 16, I don't know much about computers, but am very dedicated and will try as hard as possible as long as you are patient*

Before we start I would like to say that I don't care too much of this being a huge gaming computer. It's small and the first one ever I am building, so I want to learn the basics before upgrading this summer. I want this "project" to hopefully run any game/most games at medium-ish graphics if possible. Also, I own a meh Dell monitor (I think it's around 20 inches), a keyboard, and a Dell case (Not sure what it looks like tbh, need to pick it up from my uncle's on Sunday (Feb. 8th). So, here we go:

My Budget: Roughly $650 (NEEDS TO BE UNDER $650)

What I want from this build:

• I wish for it to be quiet. It's not a huge issue if it's loud, I just don't want to be annoyed by it
  • I need to be able to upgrade it in the future
  • I need at least 320GB of storage as I am a student and could use some extra space for projects
  • I would like for the computer to be setup so that I could run games like Dying Light at Medium settings and have at least 40-50 frames.

Questions: 

• Can I empty my SSD that is in my laptop (128GB) and reinstall Windows 7 and put it in the new computer (I know how to install it and have a key, so that's fine)
  • Will I be able to play these good-graphic games (For example: Dying Light) on at least 40 frames on Medium?
  • Is my budget even high enough to get what I desire?

If you need a picture of the case/monitor, I will be able to add those tomorrow (Assuming I can get the case early tomorrow rather than Sunday). Other than that, I believe that is all for now. If you have any questions, just leave a comment or PM me on these forums so I may notice it. Thanks for the help and sorry for my poor typing (as always)- cya' around!

just warning you, that case might be proprietary, so you might not be able to use it.

This - I 'd also be stay away from it.

Could you please post the native resolution or the exact name of that DELL monitor?

Furthermore I d advise you to read the following topic

carefully. The reason is that we can probably put together a "good" AMD system with your budget, but Intel becomes somewhat difficult with 650 bucks. While AMD systems work ok - good in most games, WoT sadly isnt most games.

What do you think about stretching the build process over a few months, so that you can get your hands on some more $ in the meantime?

Can I empty my SSD that is in my laptop (128GB) and reinstall Windows 7 and put it in the new computer (I know how to install it and have a key, so that's fine)

Sure

Most likely the dell case will be completely unusable. It wont provide enough airflow or space for upgrades n such.

Can I empty my SSD that is in my laptop (128GB) and reinstall Windows 7 and put it in the new computer (I know how to install it and have a key, so that's fine)

This Im not sure. I have no experience with laptops and I dont know if the internal ssd, once removed from your laptop, is able to be plugged into your new rig.

The Dell computer should have a cd/dvd drive you can steal to instal your windows if you have a disc.

Will I be able to play these good-graphic games (For example: Dying Light) on at least 40 frames on Medium?

Is my budget even high enough to get what I desire?

Yes, and yes. 

Here is a build I slapped together on PC Parts picker: Linky

Im actually fan girling over how good that build is for the price. 

Now you might see that Intel Pentium, but dont be fooled. It is twice as fast as the other common budget cpu, the phenom II x4 in single-core and dual-core speeds. It only lags behind in its multicore processes obviously (being a dual core).

The great thing about choosing the pentium over an amd budget cpu is that since the G3258 is socket 1150, you can plug a motherfuckin i7 3770k at some later date in the motherboard and keep slaying plebians in tonks.

The memory is more budget (1600mhz over 1866mhz) but you will never notice a difference. RAM speeds are not relevant to performance enough to make it priority for high speed RAM.

You cannot go wrong with seagate (I use a 1TB barracuda), they are arguably the best hard drive manufacturer alongside Corsair.

With GPUs everyone has the make their loyal to. I have the GTX 960 selected, but if you swing the other way and fancy AMD, then get the R9 280 or R9 280X if you feel the little price increase for performance increase is important.

Cases are another personal perference thing, wether you want a flashy, colourful case or a sleek, modest case. 

For the PSU you never want to cheap out because one bad PSU can take your whole system with it. I picked seasonic for their incredible reputation for quality and reliability. That particular PSU is also fully modular so there wont be any extra cables getting in the way of airflow in your smaller budget case.

Cheers

AMD's bringing out the Radeon 300 series soon, gon' be pritty sick. I've currently got an i5 4690/GTX 760 build which runs WoT on max at 51-60 fps, and the case is a Corsair 230t with pretty, colourful lights and runs beautifully quietly, the only time the fans have spooled up and become noticeably noisy was when I was playing WoT at the same time as rendering a video from Cinema 4D... Not the best idea. Entire build cost me around $1200NZD, but I built it from scratch and ordered a few parts offshore due to incredible New Zealand prices on GPU's 'n such.

Good luck man, check out r/buildapc too, some great advice in there.

The great thing about choosing the pentium over an amd budget cpu is that since the G3258 is socket 1150, you can plug a motherfuckin i7 3770k at some later date in the motherboard and keep slaying plebians in tonks.

Nope - 3770K is So1155 and G3258 is So1150. These arn't interchangable.

You cannot go wrong with seagate (I use a 1TB barracuda), they are arguably the best hard drive manufacturer alongside Corsair.

Corsair wasnt the first on the moon and they dont make hard drives.

SSD would be usable but it's just a matter of figuring out what kind it is so we can get a mobo that will support it.

So whats the model of your laptop?

As to the build cpu wise for the budget you'd get more performance out of an amd build, but going for that overclock able Pentium would mean you'd actually be able to upgrade to a better cpu without needing to replace the mobo, it'd just mean less overall performance(in games that can use more than 2 cores) but more single threaded performance which would help with badly coded games like wot and dying light(its effectively single threaded >.>)

Everything else would pretty much just fall into place once you decide on the cpu.

Could you please post the native resolution or the exact name of that DELL monitor?

carefully. The reason is that we can probably put together a "good" AMD system with your budget, but Intel becomes somewhat difficult with 650 bucks. While AMD systems work ok - good in most games, WoT sadly isnt most games.

What do you think about stretching the build process over a few months, so that you can get your hands on some more $ in the meantime?

Sure

I'll try to get pictures of the monitor when I go to pick up the case and keyboard, that way it's less of a hassle for me. Also I'm not building this for WoT. I just want a good all-round PC to be able to run most games at decent graphics while at the same time not being awful at handling WoT. If I have to put WoT at the lowest settings again then I will as I simply want to move on to other games. I also want to make a computer now so that I can upgrade it during summer, not to mention my laptop is starting to suck hard so it only makes sense to make something that's good and upgrade able.

I'll try to get pictures of the monitor when I go to pick up the case and keyboard, that way it's less of a hassle for me. Also I'm not building this for WoT. I just want a good all-round PC to be able to run most games at decent graphics while at the same time not being awful at handling WoT. If I have to put WoT at the lowest settings again then I will as I simply want to move on to other games. I also want to make a computer now so that I can upgrade it during summer, not to mention my laptop is starting to suck hard so it only makes sense to make something that's good and upgrade able.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/LL3scf ~ 650$ with promo codes, but without mail in thingy

You can change the CPU in the summer for a 4690K and until then OC to 4.5 GHz.

Sure

can confirm that this build i'm linking works great assuming you get rid of the micro atx case and mother board for something full size

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bagrisham/saved/dKWBD3

also runs wot maxed out around 45 fps with an amd processer and radeon GPU

also go for dual 4gb sticks master instead of the 8gb single they list 

can confirm that this build i'm linking works great assuming you get rid of the micro atx case and mother board for something full size

*sigh

That sure tells us a whole lot, my HD4000 also manages WoT with 40 FPS ... .

*sigh

That sure tells us a whole lot, my HD4000 also manages WoT with 40 FPS ... .

HD 4000 cannot MAX OUT wot with 45 fps @ 1080p.

---------------

Also, the SSD will be usable if it's using the Sata 2 or Sata 3 interface. If it's mSata, it's unusable. With any luck it'll be a regular o'l sata SSD and you can use it as your boot drive.

HD 4000 cannot MAX OUT wot with 45 fps. Gtfo.

---------------

Also, the SSD will be usable if it's using the Sata 2 or Sata 3 interface. If it's mSata, it's unusable. With any luck it'll be a regular o'l sata SSD and you can use it as your boot drive.

Rofl

Foxey moron squad just arrived here or what?

edit:

Talking FPS without mentioning resolution and in case of WoT which render is utterly pointless. But I ll leave you two comedians to your antics, though it would be nice of you to move that to the offical forum or reddit.

I suck at computers, so what does an optical drive do? 

Rofl

Foxey moron squad just arrived here or what?

edit:

Talking FPS without mentioning resolution and in case of WoT which render is utterly pointless. But I ll leave you two comedians to your antics, though it would be nice of you to move that to the offical forum or reddit.

Sorry,I didn't mean to sound so mean. Bad morning. :(

And official forums give me cancer now.

But... "Maxing out" WOT @ 1080p with AA and everything set to max requires more than an HD 4000 to get above 40 fps.

And I'm not COMPLETELY stupid, only slightly. work as a computer technician.

But... "Maxing out" WOT @ 1080p with AA and everything set to max requires more than an HD 4000 to get above 40 fps.

Now thats something we can discuss ...  ;-)

And yes I play WoT atm with HD4000 @fullHD around 40 FPS avg - old render

qMVWlu5.jpgDzerREF.jpg

Reminder to go look at some YouTube videos on the actual building process before you begin the build if this is your complete first time. 

Yeah I've looked at quite a few, and I have a decent understanding of installing the CPU into the motherboard and putting the motherboard in without screwing anything up. May need help with the power supply and Cooler tbh, as well as the graphics card. If I do, I'll make a video-by-video procedure and put it on Youtube so people can help me. :)