sela

sela's new PC - Build/Component Selections

Hey all,

I will be building a new PC soon to improve stream quality and to be able to run new games. Currently I am using a gaming laptop (MSI GT70) which runs okay, but not fantastic. My budget is about $2,000.

I have built several gaming PCs for myself/friends in the past, plus hundreds during my IT career, so I'm not exactly new at this. However, I haven't kept up with new stuff in the last few years.

There are a few components that I already have:

• Antec Twelve Hundred (original)
  • 2 x NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB
  • Asus VE248H 24" (secondary monitor)

Here's what I need:

• CPU + cooling
  • Motherboard
  • Hard drives
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • Monitor

Preliminary thoughts on purchases (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yZcMrH):

• Intel Core i7-4790K - $340
  • Noctua NH-U14S - $70
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK - $165
  • G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 - $310
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (O/S) - $120
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (Main Storage) - $390
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W - $115
  • AOC G2460PG G-SYNC 24" - $450

Total approximate cost: $1960

Some questions/thoughts:

• What kind of quality improvements am I likely to see with G-SYNC? Probably not much with WoT, but with other games. The G2460PG is currently on sale at Best Buy and I have $100 in gift cards that I need to use.
  • RAM - speed/amount. Is 2400 going to be a bottleneck or have issues? 16 GB vs 32 GB?
  • RAID 0 on SSDs? Is there an actual performance bump for this that I would notice?
  • 850W PSU big enough for all of this?\

test test

I'd say it looks like you've done well enough on your own intuition. Your system is better than mine in every way AND you're going to be SLI'ing. Considering I just rebuilt mine a couple months ago to be good for the next few years I don't think you've got anything to worry about with that build. Gib i7 plox

What kind of quality improvements am I likely to see with G-SYNC? Probably not much with WoT, but with other games. The G2460PG is currently on sale at Best Buy and I have $100 in gift cards that I need to use.
  • RAM - speed/amount. Is 2400 going to be a bottleneck or have issues? 16 GB vs 32 GB?
  • RAID 0 on SSDs? Is there an actual performance bump for this that I would notice?
  • 850W PSU big enough for all of this?

G-sync: you'll get less screen tearing and better overall performance than using the conventional vsync. I never personally have issues with screen tearing even with high FPS, low refresh rate games though, but I don't know how picky you are with eye candy.

RAM: anything higher than 1600 rapidly become diminishing returns, there's simply no practical reason to get 2400 over 1866 (or 1600 for that matter). 32GB if you run 10+ VMs, host a file exchange server and do video/photo stuff simultaneously, otherwise 16GB is enough. I have 16GB myself, never had a problem even when I run a Mac VM with 4GB dedicated parallel to my normal stuff.

SSD: unless you are a benchmark freak, RAID 0 with SSDs don't really produce noticeable differences for daily usage even for stuff like WoT (that stream textures from the drive instead of preloading them). If you really want speed, you can always get that 32GB of memory and make a ramdisk.

PSU: 850w should be enough as long as you don't let those 980 (avg 175-200w under load each) run wild. No guarantees if you start overclocking though, but you should be able to tell what you need if you plan on doing that.

RAM - speed/amount. Is 2400 going to be a bottleneck or have issues? 16 GB vs 32 GB?

Unless there have been major advancements in RAM in the last two years; it literally doesn't matter at all, as speed increases bandwidth reduces.

http://youtu.be/dWgzA2C61z4?t=2m19s

RAID 0 on SSDs? Is there an actual performance bump for this that I would notice?

Iirc, little improvement if anything.

850W PSU big enough for all of this?

Definitely, I've got one less GPU running on a 760w PSU.

For indefinite closure on the subject, see Folterknecht. 

How about the i7-4930k for a bit more juice? Also are you gonna oc? the power might not cut it

on newegg its $579, which would put him over budget. so he would have to skimp on something else

Slower RAM should be cheaper.

good point. 2400 does seem a bit overkill, frankly if I was getting 2400MHz I would just go the whole hog and get DDR4 instead, then it might actually be more noticeable a performance boost

Wait what you were running on a laptop the whole fking time!???

that was my reaction as well xD.

Sela, if you wanted to skimp on RAM down to 16GB (and I can confirm, my friend with a rig that is overall way worse than your planned one, with 16GB RAM ran BF4 and CS:GO together at the same time, both perfectly fine lol) and 1600 or 1866MHz, that halfs the price pretty much, from a newegg search, this costs $135 (G.SKILL ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz)

then up the CPU. 

in other news while looking, I saw my own RAM that I bought literally half the price I paid for it, in NZD. fuck New Zealand hardware prices -__-

With gsync you can basically play tearing free without the extra latency that vsync has. though with 2 980's i think you would be better off going for one of the 144hz 1440p gsync monitors, acer has a ips like one coming out.

How about the i7-4930k for a bit more juice? Also are you gonna oc? the power might not cut it

Might as well go for a 5820k. better performance for less though the price of ddr4 will probably even it out cost wise.

Might as well go for a 5820k. better performance for less though the price of ddr4 will probably even it out cost wise.

your right, screw my idea. you could still get 32GB RAM and be easily in budget

• Antec Twelve Hundred (original)  -- no USB 3.0; looks like 13 year olds first PC imo - > Fractal Design R5
  • 2 x NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB  -- SLI doesnt work with WoT. Do you play something else beside WoT?

Here's what I need:

• CPU + cooling
  • Motherboard
  • Hard drives
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • Monitor

• Intel Core i7-4790K - $340 $326.99
  • Corsair H90 + 2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM (push/pull sandwich config)- 129$
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK - $165 -- very good board, but the BIOS ... u might have to find your own Turbo/voltage settings. Though I can send you a template - build a system with that board/cpu combo recently.
  • G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 - $310 --- 16 GB 1600-1866MHz (2x 8GB) is more than enough usually $126.99
  • $325.98
  • Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5 - 80$
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W - $115 .- see bottom, 700W is enough currently - pls post a link to that EVGA PSU
  • AOC G2460PG G-SYNC 24" - $450 ... read THIS following review before u buy

Total approximate cost: $1960 - ~1400$ without TFT

Some questions/thoughts:

• What kind of quality improvements am I likely to see with G-SYNC? Probably not much with WoT, but with other games. The G2460PG is currently on sale at Best Buy and I have $100 in gift cards that I need to use. -- read THIS following review before u buy, ofc I ve you after G-Sync ...
  • RAM - speed/amount. Is 2400 going to be a bottleneck or have issues? 16 GB vs 32 GB? -- with dedicated GPU 1600-1866 MHz is more than enough - ofc 32 GB would allow for WoT @ RAM disk
  • RAID 0 on SSDs? Is there an actual performance bump for this that I would notice? -- RAID0 is BS with SSDs usually, I d persoanlly go for SSD + HDD for mass storage
  • 850W PSU big enough for all of this? -- currently its 150W over the top (at least)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/vcB7YJ

Beside WoT, what else are u doing?

All I can offer is that before you buy more than 8GB of RAM, run all the stuff you like to run and see in Task Manager how much you actually use when you are trying to max it all out. I do that often, and I've never used all of my 8GB.

If you had 32GB, while playing just WOT you'd probably have 28GB unused unless you wanted to put it on a Ramdisk.

Hey all,

I will be building a new PC soon to improve stream quality and to be able to run new games. Currently I am using a gaming laptop (MSI GT70) which runs okay, but not fantastic. My budget is about $2,000.

I have built several gaming PCs for myself/friends in the past, plus hundreds during my IT career, so I'm not exactly new at this. However, I haven't kept up with new stuff in the last few years.

• Antec Twelve Hundred (original)
  • 2 x NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB

Here's what I need:

• CPU + cooling
  • Motherboard
  • Hard drives
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • Monitor

• Intel Core i7-4790K - $340
  • Noctua NH-U14S - $70
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK - $165
  • G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 - $310
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (O/S) - $120
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (Main Storage) - $390
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W - $115
  • AOC G2460PG G-SYNC 24" - $450

Total approximate cost: $1960

Some questions/thoughts:

• What kind of quality improvements am I likely to see with G-SYNC? Probably not much with WoT, but with other games. The G2460PG is currently on sale at Best Buy and I have $100 in gift cards that I need to use.
  • 850W PSU big enough for all of this?

Do you need 32GB of Ram? If you primarily game 16GB is more than enough.

Ram Speed really isnt a factor.

G Sync is a major improvement. I played Crysis 3 at a friends house he has a G Sync monitor and it was night and day compared to mine non G Sync monitor. So yes get a G Sync Monitor. 

Im not sure on Raid 0 on SSDs.

Other than that I see no issues with what you are planning to build.

You can get a swiftech H220-x for only $10 more than that h90+noctua fans, what you get is one of the bests aio coolers, which can also be expanded.

H90 + those two Noctuas in push/pull are at least as good as the H220 ;-) for CPU only. H90 is 140mm and thicker than the H220, combine that with the low heat output but small die + bad TIM + high heat density and the 240mm dont play a role anymore. If you would delid that might be an other topic.

And you dont want to expand a 240mm rad to also include 2 highend GPUs. For that you better go full custom

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97deluxe

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy32gx3m4a2400c11r

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-internal-hard-drive-cssdf240gbgtbk

Alternative parts worth looking at imo. I personally wouldn't go for anything but an Asus mobo. btw you can price match against online retailers at Best Buy if you wanted to get all your shopping done at one place with the best price.

H90 + those two Noctuas in push/pull are at least as good as the H220 ;-) for CPU only. H90 is 140mm and thicker than the H220, combine that with the low heat output but small die + bad TIM + high heat density and the 240mm dont play a role anymore. If you would delid that might be an other topic.

And you dont want to expand a 240mm rad to also include 2 highend GPUs. For that you better go full custom

The h90 also has quite a bit more FPI so it probably would be able to keep up, even with the low quality components.

The pump in the h220-x could actually handle 2 gpu blocks and an extra rad though it would be pushing it and you'd probably want a 2nd pump.

Do you really need an SSD for storage? You might be able to get away with a traditional hard drive of a larger capacity for storage.

FX? Might be good for streaming, but I don't think WoT can run that many cores.