Luna

My Play Progression Story

Wanted to do something special for this since I have both learned and now started to give back to this community. 

I finally made it to 1,000 posts here. So in honor of that, here is my progression (From a green/blue in VPG to a purple in OTTER) as best as I can remember. (This is made with the assumption that you can shoot with good accuracy and understand guns and weakspots).

I think I registered pretty much right after finding this place, so end of Nov 2013.

At that point I was blue recent or so, with only an E-100 and JPE in my T10 selection.

I read some of Wotlabs articles to figure out where I was lacking

http://wotlabs.net/articles/wot-secrets-tricks/ http://wotlabs.net/articles/defensive-options/ http://wotlabs.net/articles/increasing-survival-rate-world-tanks/ http://wotlabs.net/articles/unicum-diaries-anatomy-brawl/

And realized that it was my lack of survivability tactics (overextension, losing brawls, etc.) that lead to me dying most often. (This is primarily with heavies at this point; I hadn't yet transitioned into mostly medium tank play) To overcome this, I focused a lot on memorizing ideal angles for the tanks I was driving, weak spots of all tanks, armor profiles to know what shells can pen and which ones cant. I recommend using Meltymap's MathMod sights for this, since it gives you the exact pen of your shell (including compensation for pen reduction over distance) next to the armor thickness of wherever you are shooting. Gameplay wise, I stepped up the mental pace of how fast I do all of my actions, from checking the minimap to looking around me constantly. (Those that have watched my replays will notice how much zoom-spam I use, this helps with keeping me on my toes.) In doing this at all times, whenever I get into a high-stress situation (i.e. 1v2+ tanks) I can always be aware of my position relative to the others and where the best place to be is. (Useful guide: http://wotlabs.net/articles/brawling-guide/)

After doing this with a combination of cutting back on my aggression (You can't yolo in every tank, even if it is a top tier. Slow the pace of the battle down, and focus on outplaying opponents rather than just beating them with a massive stick.) I reached purple for my recent (\o/). After reading more metagame discussion and the praise for the RU meds as well as wanting to get more into CW, I started going up the 416 line towards the 140/62a.

At this point, most of my knowledge of heavy tanks was of no use, so I had to figure out how to play medium tanks. In comes kewei with his article of improvement (http://wotlabs.net/articles/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/) and I decided I would take up that challenge. I started playing a lot of mid-high tiers solo, and each time after I died I look back at my plays and figure out where I made mistakes (losing hp, bouncing shots, etc.). I kept on that for quite some time, as well as starting to get into tournaments a little bit (weekend stuff, mostly low tiers). The tournaments really helped me in learning how to play in a unit, sharing hp and focus firing important targets. While most pubs are morons, if you can take a shell to keep one alive, they can hopefully do another shell of damage and make your life a bit easier.

You can start to take control of the pace of a battle when you play aggressively, making sure you are using the most of your tanks capabilities (dpm, armor, spotting) as often as possible. Force the trades to be favorable by baiting shots into your armor, or making enemies miss shells. The safest time to shoot a target is when they are on reload.

Coupled with this, learning the pace of battles across the entire map is a very good way to start winning flanks and matches more often. You have an overmatch? Be aggressive, yell at your pubs to push harder. They are remarkably good at yoloing, allowing you to stay more conservative with your own hp while shooting enemies. Your flank is weak? Dig in. Get in the best position you can while still being able to shoot. Force the opponents to expose themselves in the worst possible way while you buy time for the rest of your team to hopefully do something useful. (If the other flank also fails then you are pretty much screwed). (http://wotlabs.net/articles/understanding-game-flow/)

At this point I stagnated in my own gameplay for several months. Holding a purple recent, focusing on grinding tanks up for CW rather than improvement. Then BUBLA started and I got inspired to improve my own gameplay to one day be good enough.

I had the 140 and 62a at this point, and I started focusing on figuring out how to start farming damage to get those pretty purple numbers. (http://wotlabs.net/articles/damage-farming/) Somehow I end up talking with Diastant about it, and he decides to take me under his wing in my own goal (thx m8). Platooning, him yelling at me whenever I screw up, and watching replays of his give me the information I need to get better, but one thing that has stuck with me is something along the lines of "If you want to get better, you have to WANT to get better. Analyze your own gameplay, and always question yourself."

I spent most of the summer figuring out the most important thing to getting those pretty dark purple numbers: flexing. (This counters the previous statement of dig in, but they are at 2 different levels of gameplay) Most of the maps in WoT are quite large, and there are always many different flanks you can choose to attack or defend from. Is your flank failing? Estimate about how much time it will take you to run into safety, and then only bail when you have to. If you bail early you are missing out on the opportunity to deal damage, if you bail late then you will lose unnecessary hp or die. If your flank is winning then the other one is likely failing. Stay at the front and deal as much damage as you can while (again) estimating how much time it will take you to flex back to an ideal defensive location and how long you have until the pubs get to the cap or in an open area near it. They are attracted to circles like moths to a light, so expect to get lots of shots in while they yolo.

I watched a lot of streams at the same time, mostly of Barks_Internally (http://www.twitch.tv/barks_internally) (I learned how2Leo from him). Zeven ( http://www.twitch.tv/zeven_na) also helped me with learning how to stay calm and focused during games. Tilt really kills your performance. Playing should end up being natural rather than constantly hard work.

Since then, I haven’t had any major improvements in my own gameplay, but it has been more refining my games and moving more into subconscious play, as well as learning other playstyles of tanks. I still have a fair amount of total derps, but those are compensated by more games at a very high level. I can win most games solo now (64.7% over 266 battles from VBA), and I am more aware of what mistakes I make. It is also a lot easier to just zone out and consistently put up high numbers than it was 6 months ago.

For those who are still lost in methods of improvement from lower levels:

REPLAYS REPLAYS REPLAYS. Watch some extremely high level games in a tank you want to play, and then play 10 games in a row. On the flip side of this, play a batch of games and upload them. There are lots of people willing to review games instead of playing (much less frustrating) including myself.

Analyze your own gameplay. It takes time because each match is different, but eventually you can see flaws that can be eliminated.

Try and avoid PM’ing purples asking to platoon because that is all they will treat is as. Instead ask for an hour of platoon mentoring, because then both of you know what is to be expected. You may get a lot of no’s, but after you get a yes there is a lot that can be learned from constant, live gameplay analysis.

Gashtag also asked me to include how to maintain a high level of gameplay, so here is my short bit: Listen to music (not the shitty WG stuff that speeds up at random places to encourage you to push, even if it is at a horrible time). I listen to Nightcore whenever I’m in mediums because it helps with fast paced gameplay, but if I’m playing heavies I might change to Blackmill or something to just relax.

While you should still analyze mistakes you make, don’t get too focused on stuff. If you had a horrible team, accept it. Those happen. Yelling at dead pubs has 0 use other than making you more angry. Most of the time I just report any 0 damages as bots and move on with my life (feelsgud.jpg)

If you messed up, stay on the surface of it. Try and think of what you could have done differently, but don’t dwell.

If you start getting frustrated, take a break. Make some food (my personal favorite), watch a YouTube video, read a chapter of a story, w/e. This game isn’t worth getting worked up over, so play something else if you want.

Pay attention to how matches are going. If they are all very fast paced, you may want to focus on only high-dpm mediums to stay at the front of the damage dealing line and cannibalize as much as you can. If pubs are going very slowly and campy, play either heavies or lights. Carry engagements the best you can, and focus on not overextending. Matches are 10-15 min long, so you have way more time than you expect to make something happen. Forcing engagements can be useful, but only if you have a lot of backing from your team or are in a tank that is capable of doing it single handedly (E-100).

Lastly, focus on just having fun. If you aren’t having fun, then something is wrong.

Playing better=more fun, so rather than improving your own pretty numbers/colors look at making yourself feel better for getting those massive carries.

I wish you all the best of luck this year with your own improvements.

Big thanks to _Dia for getting me started on improvement, Article Writers for giving a wealth of information to absorb, and especially Neverwish for putting this whole operation together.

;3 /)

If you want to get better, you have to WANT to get better. <- This so fucking much.

It is also a lot easier to just zone out and consistently put up high numbers than it was 6 months ago <- Noticed the same thing. When I started trying to play well last year I was having a really hard time with high damage games, it was rare. Nowadays I can usually derp my way to 3k dpg singing TS (if not on tilt).

Nice read, I think there should be a few gems in here for people of all abilities. Now teach me how to not tilt. :D

P.S. also your sig is super cute.

I still basically rush in and club whatever's in front of me and get a purple recent >_>

My first major help was Garbad, whose advice basically gave me a blueprint for how to be successful with ultra-aggressive play

The next step was Kewei's help, which gave me a blueprint on how to abuse mechanics to trade back much better (still working on that)

I feel like once I get down a "blueprint" of what needs to improved to become a better player, it's all natural improvement until I hit the next plateau. I feel like my next one is probably going to be dark purple recent, by which point stats don't even matter at all (that's the definition of super-unicum by default; a level where each player needs to be judged individually to really know who's better)

Great read! It's always good to get someone else's perspective on an experience.

You must be talented then.

no, I'm fucking terrible. I'm too lazy to take the time to completely alter my playstyle and not have fun to give it up, so I've gotten better at it. IDEK.

In other news, my saying on Reddit:

If you know how shit you are, you're instantly better than 80% of the playerbase.

The second half reads: "And 75% of the remaining 20% are still dumb as shit, the bar is low indeed"

Gratz on your improvement!

I'm still stuck at recent blue, and indeed, I need to watch and evaluate my replays. That's likely my missing link at the moment.

But on the other hand I don't want to give up my yolo gameplay. Smash face gameplay best gameplay :(

Gratz on your improvement!

I'm still stuck at recent blue, and indeed, I need to watch and evaluate my replays. That's likely my missing link at the moment.

But on the other hand I don't want to give up my yolo gameplay. Smash face gameplay best gameplay :(

omg your avatar. LEFT SHARK IS BEST SHARK.

You're in OTTER now?

Active clans are best clans (plus I make bank from credit bonuses).

I've been stuck at purple recent for about a year now capping out a couple times at 63%/2900 recent. :/

I've been stuck at purple recent for about a year now capping out a couple times at 63%/2900 recent. :/

Platoon more with me. That was a silly run this weekend :)

Nice read. Thanks. I've noticed a marked improvement in my game play both in winrate and WN8 after stagnating for a month or so although I can't actively say I've analysed my game play I believe I am doing it more subconsciously as I am playing or more accurately after I've derped stupidly. Improvement seems to come in jumps in play with a slow continual or stagnation for me. No idea why unless it's getting to a point where I no longer consciously have to think at that playing level.

Nice read. Thanks. I've noticed a marked improvement in my game play both in winrate and WN8 after stagnating for a month or so although I can't actively say I've analysed my game play I believe I am doing it more subconsciously as I am playing or more accurately after I've derped stupidly. Improvement seems to come in jumps in play with a slow continual or stagnation for me. No idea why unless it's getting to a point where I no longer consciously have to think at that playing level.

My improvement was kinda like that. Learn something new, start incorporating it into your subconscious play, then find something to actively spend your thought process doing. Rinse and repeat until you hit your max.

Thanks for the excellent advice. After signing up for Wot Labs forums, and reading all around I found my recent and overall winrate and WN8 seems to be increasing. Although I am still having trouble getting a consistently good WN8 rating in my not fully upgraded tanks. Any advice for maintaining a good winrate and WN8 while grinding for my higher tier tanks and modules? Any help at all would be appreciated.