Lord_Met

I need advise on how too mentor a really bad player.

Okay my clan share a teamspeak with another clan. The other clan had a member that was under performing, and he was kicked untill he can get his play on par with the rest of the clan. One of DEMI's officers asked me too help mentor him, i by no means a great player but i know my way about too some extent. 

So i decided too platoon with him and see if there was anything obvious that i could help with... well he doesnt take advantage of situations at all. Example: He chooses a reasonably viable location too snipe from, but once he no longer has shots or he is getting over run he makes no attempts too keep up with the battle, and all my advice seems too just slide of his shoulder. Any tips?

Get him talking, try to figure out what he is thinking. Get screenshots of his actual screen (to confirm minimap is on, and that he doesn't have 1,000 mods making it impossible to see anything). Talk over the basics of the basics. Can he even pen shots in a brawl? Finding a brawl is one thing, relocating once a sniper position isn't viable is a whole other level of awareness. 

And then remind yourself that there are few barriers to getting on the internet and some people are too poorly equipped to succeed at this (or any) video game.

Go to training with him. Just explain some things step by step. He probably doesn't know basic stuff so you might wanna review what he actually knows. Then try to go 1 vs 1 and explain what are you doing and what is he not doing properly.

Other thing to help him: just give him a heavy tank to drive. With heavy his role will be dish damage on close ranges, meaning he will have less things to fuck up.

He's got to learn the flow of battle and how to surf it. Going to spot x and staying there regardless of battle flow is a sign he does make up his mind at the start of the battle and then shuts his brains down. A lot of people do so. Go somewhere and then fight till they die.

Be water my friend.

If he doesnt seem to be able to comprehend what you are saying/

Step 1 Confirm he has minimap expanded.

Step 2 Confirm he has satisfactory hardware/internet speed

Step 3 Im afraid to say it but it could simply be a mental faculty thing, or playing with 1 hand etc. 

Step 3 is unfixable in most cases im afraid.

Probably consider referring him to WotLabs and some of the articles. Maybe he doesn't have the ability to comprehend what you're saying?

He is well aware of Wotlabs, and has been studying damage expectations... but he is looking too pad not get better, its very strange that they arent the same in his mind too me.

Get him talking, try to figure out what he is thinking. Get screenshots of his actual screen (to confirm minimap is on, and that he doesn't have 1,000 mods making it impossible to see anything). Talk over the basics of the basics. Can he even pen shots in a brawl? Finding a brawl is one thing, relocating once a sniper position isn't viable is a whole other level of awareness. 

And then remind yourself that there are few barriers to getting on the internet and some people are too poorly equipped to succeed at this (or any) video game.

He makes good shots when he makes them. One on one brawls he does okay.

Go to training with him. Just explain some things step by step. He probably doesn't know basic stuff so you might wanna review what he actually knows. Then try to go 1 vs 1 and explain what are you doing and what is he not doing properly.

Other thing to help him: just give him a heavy tank to drive. With heavy his role will be dish damage on close ranges, meaning he will have less things to fuck up.

The best game he had for the session was in a kv-4, he is decent at side scraping, but doesn't keep his tank mobile. He likes mediums, but just doesnt do medium tank things in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbmfKyX_3c&list=PLCFkEm9NiUY8gjoUj_BpBzJCJcfeERAkE

This the series i have suggested too him, this series alone has influenced my play alot.

If you want my advice, don't bother. The amount of effort required to improve if you're not naturally adept to the game is monumental. This is not a burden you should carry. If HE wants to get better, refer him to WoTLabs, there is enough stuff here to get him to dark purple. I'm living proof.

What Dia/Luna said; If you want to get better, you have to WANT to get better.

-

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

The seas don't have arty making you rage.

Simple, ask him to send you a replay. Tell him to do a write up to justify what he does at each point of time.

Then compare his reasoning against the reality.

I think that might be the best bet thus far, thank you everyone that has contributed thus far. Even Gashtag's advice is reasonable. 

Replay reviews might be more productive than platooning. Anyways that's my experience from trying to help dark reds who have a few thousand battles under their belt already. It's different than helping an actual newb that is starting out and still in his first few hundred battles, where platooning will help because he'll follow you around to discover the maps and learn the spots as you derp around low tiers with him. In your case, it sounds like you'll probably have to help him unlearn a number of bad habits. It's hard to catch these things live when you're also worrying about driving your own tank and shooting stuff, so you'll probably only get to really watch him play once you're already dead.

I'd ask him for a replay pack of ~5-10 solo battles, not cherry picked, and try to find the most obvious flaws in his play before platooning. You also probably need to brush over the basics of account management, ammo & equipment loadout and crew skills to ensure he's not doing completely retarded stuff.

Replay reviews might be more productive than platooning. Anyways that's my experience from trying to help dark reds who have a few thousand battles under their belt already. It's different than helping an actual newb that is starting out and still in his first few hundred battles, where platooning will help because he'll follow you around to discover the maps and learn the spots as you derp around low tiers with him. In your case, it sounds like you'll probably have to help him unlearn a number of bad habits. It's hard to catch these things live when you're also worrying about driving your own tank and shooting stuff, so you'll probably only get to really watch him play once you're already dead.

I'd ask him for a replay pack of ~5-10 solo battles, not cherry picked, and try to find the most obvious flaws in his play before platooning. You also probably need to brush over the basics of account management, ammo & equipment loadout and crew skills to ensure he's not doing completely retarded stuff.

He was using the 219 pen gun on the t54...

Teching game mechanics is one thing, but trying to teach him what to do in certain situations will take a LOT of time and effort.

I recommend you to platoon up in something that is forgiving to do mistakes in, and try to get him out of his comfort zone.

If he's really, really not good, then you may have to take a step back and consider what steps he has to take with a LOT more granularity.  One of the problems with helping someone really bad is that you take for granted a lot of concepts/mechanics/thought that they don't have and it can cause some dissonance with trying to understand where they are coming from or getting them to understand what you are saying.