Obediance

Casual Purple looking for improvement. [EU]

Right, so where to start. I feel like I have a pretty decent understanding of general game mechanics, weakspots, vision abuse and a high sit awareness. However I find myself lacking whenever a tank rushes me, I usually lose these fights with no exception. 

If possible I would like someone to teach me the basics of close quarters brawling, note that my tanks of choice are light and medium tanks. I am willing to pay for your time. 

Thank you in advance!

Welp, I'm not on EU in anything but tier 8's atm, but check this replay out as a lesson in how to abuse turret armor in a close quarters brawl. This tactic works with any low profile med with a good turret face: http://wotreplays.com/site/1592266#prokhorovka-sirderpsabit-wz-120. Skip to about 12:30 remaining for the brawl. Being able to time reloads and reflexively react to aiming angles to force bounces is really all you're likely missing. You're already an excellent player.

I'm afraid that type of video is not applicable to me since I mainly play 'paper tanks' , like the T37, RU251, Leo, Batchat etc.

Are these situations where you're getting yolo rushed or brawling in meds/lights?

How many players are we talking on the enemy team here, 1v1s? Start of the battle? Mid/late game where HP matters? There are so many situations where you need to take on enemies with mediums, some you can use your strengths (VR/distance/accuracy), others you've just gotta soak up their damage.

I see a couple of options, but none are revelations. First would be the obligatory "don't isolate yourself and yolo forward", but I don't think this is the problem, I remember you carrying me hard last year when all I did was yolo and isolate myself. :D

Second would be to play the game like chess, maximise the no. of tanks on your team that are able to cover you. How much will you have to move to exploit the retard(s) rushing you and open them all up to your team (preferable getting them in a crossfire). It's staying calm & situationally aware in times like these that really help to preserve your health for carrying at a later point. I will note that in times when I'm getting yolo rushed, my eyes focus solely on the minimap/surroundings finding places to dig in/retreat to whilst maximising the amount of pubs who can shoot the enemy. The thing is, if you're getting yolo rushed, you've done something wrong earlier in the game (unless some mongoloid bat chat decides he wants to suicide to kill the purple, I fucking hate those guys so much).

I think it's also pretty hard knowing when to dig in and when to run away, I guess this comes from personal experience in high pressure situations coupled with knowing your tanks' strengths and weaknesses so there's really no way to teach it other than to get into these environments more. 

Reading this back I forgot to mention the use of AUTOAIM!! It's literally built for mediums out manoeuvring heavies/tds/other mediums - you keep your situational awareness & mouse button clicked down whilst circling someone who can't keep up with you. 

Just some ideas, not sure how much you can get out of it.

P.S. Candy is the king of taking on multiple engagements and winning, might be worth asking him. I swear if he's at medium range/damage farming he becomes less effective than when he's taking on 5 heavies in a 121 on a map with nothing but hills.

Are these situations where you're getting yolo rushed or brawling in meds/lights?

How many players are we talking on the enemy team here, 1v1s? Start of the battle? Mid/late game where HP matters? There are so many situations where you need to take on enemies with mediums, some you can use your strengths (VR/distance/accuracy), others you've just gotta soak up their damage.

I see a couple of options, but none are revelations. First would be the obligatory "don't isolate yourself and yolo forward", but I don't think this is the problem, I remember you carrying me hard last year when all I did was yolo and isolate myself. :D

Second would be to play the game like chess, maximise the no. of tanks on your team that are able to cover you. How much will you have to move to exploit the retard(s) rushing you and open them all up to your team (preferable getting them in a crossfire). It's staying calm & situationally aware in times like these that really help to preserve your health for carrying at a later point. I will note that in times when I'm getting yolo rushed, my eyes focus solely on the minimap/surroundings finding places to dig in/retreat to whilst maximising the amount of pubs who can shoot the enemy. The thing is, if you're getting yolo rushed, you've done something wrong earlier in the game (unless some mongoloid bat chat decides he wants to suicide to kill the purple, I fucking hate those guys so much).

I think it's also pretty hard knowing when to dig in and when to run away, I guess this comes from personal experience in high pressure situations coupled with knowing your tanks' strengths and weaknesses so there's really no way to teach it other than to get into these environments more. 

Reading this back I forgot to mention the use of AUTOAIM!! It's literally built for mediums out manoeuvring heavies/tds/other mediums - you keep your situational awareness & mouse button clicked down whilst circling someone who can't keep up with you. 

Just some ideas, not sure how much you can get out of it.

P.S. Candy is the king of taking on multiple engagements and winning, might be worth asking him. I swear if he's at medium range/damage farming he becomes less effective than when he's taking on 5 heavies in a 121 on a map with nothing but hills.

It might be the case of the mongoloid batchat wanting to suicide,hard to tell. I try to position myself to avoid these types of situations but generally they tend to happen anyway in roughly 2/10 games, and I'd say I come out on top maybe 33% of those encounters, most of the time I'm dead.

It's usually mid/late game when HP matters. Let's take an example from this morning, late game, 5vs5 tanks left, I'm a full HP RU251, and I get rushed by a 80% RU251, however since I keep missing him and generally have control in these types of situations he still comes out on top with 20% hp left while I am dead. To think of it, it's usually when I get rushed by another tank of the same class and tier with equal or slightly lower HP. 

Welp, I'm not on EU in anything but tier 8's atm, but check this replay out as a lesson in how to abuse turret armor in a close quarters brawl. This tactic works with any low profile med with a good turret face: http://wotreplays.com/site/1592266#prokhorovka-sirderpsabit-wz-120. Skip to about 12:30 remaining for the brawl. Being able to time reloads and reflexively react to aiming angles to force bounces is really all you're likely missing. You're already an excellent player.

Good replay, so essentially, when he gets close to fire, you move in to expose only your turret armor, ignoring the fact that your rear is also facing him? I need to try this in my low tanks. 

I'd be down for some plats later on if you want? I know the feeling, either dead or crippled from them rushing. The question is, did he run into you by accident or were you spotted? Were you dealing damage or scouting trying to exploit the enemy for your team? Did you fire the 102mm pen HE against the enemy RU?

The way I see it, there are two parts the to problem, getting in the situation and dealing with the situation. I'll leave you to minimising these engagements but as far as dealing with them: 

Auto aim: It's the answer when you're out in the open, no motor skills can outperform it, & it's especially useful on lightly armoured meds/scouts (provided you're not firing on an auto bounce angle). Guaranteed pens, no server lag. 

Brawling: Don't bother, make getting out & preserving HP your no.1 priority. Engage at distance. It's this kind metacognition in the actual situation that I find really hard to implement, thinking and adapting to the situation rather than going into tilt induced destructive autopilot mode makes a hell of a difference.

Yeah, we should do plats. He ran into me by me wanting to get closer to spot where he was and if possible, take potshots.

By the time I reached my position he also reached it and instead of peekabooming which I would most likely won(yellow player) he rushed me and subsequently won. I did not however fire HE, for some reason I have none loaded on that tank, will fix. 

Sounds good. Yeah it's funny how forgetting even the slightest bit of information or making the smallest miscalculation can lead to getting totally screwed. Mistakes are punished much more heavily in the late game.

HE spam in the RU (if all shots penned) == highest dpm in the game (or close).

Might it be that the guy rushes in on you usually full speed and you sit almost  still trying to aim your shots? He then has a huge advantage using autoaim, he is most likely not gonna miss while you will have a hard time making every shot count. In these engagements top priority is imo not hitting but avoiding the damage. You need to get moving as well, making yourself hard to hit. Turn it around and make him miss and as soon as that happens and he tries to slow down use your advantage in health and skill and kill him.

Might it be that the guy rushes in on you usually full speed and you sit almost  still trying to aim your shots? He then has a huge advantage using autoaim, he is most likely not gonna miss while you will have a hard time making every shot count. In these engagements top priority is imo not hitting but avoiding the damage. You need to get moving as well, making yourself hard to hit. Turn it around and make him miss and as soon as that happens and he tries to slow down use your advantage in health and skill and kill him.

Not in the situation I described, he was moving and I was moving, he hits 5/5 and I hit 3/5 shots fired.But this happens too often to be written off as RNG, it's more likely I do something wrong. 

Which is why I feel like I need tutoring :)

I'm totally not up to your skill level at all, but I'll still throw in my two cents.

I've been playing lots and lots of batchat and bulldog, and I play them up close. The key to success is to move, if it's on city grounds, try and abuse corners and brake after full speed to get a better shot at him, try and get the HP advantage and then you should just go close and chase him and make him panic and just finish him off. This is assuming it's late game. If it's somewhat early game, I'd suggest not taking the fight at all, just shoot if you have clear shots but you should instead focus on getting to teammates so you'll have support instead, and if you are at a spot where no one can support you, you probably aren't in a particularly good spot.

On open ground just try to either get some terrain between you if you are leoparding/RUing for depression games to make them unable to go on close on you (especially RU meds that can DPM you out) or go up like really close in batchat to make that clip count. But sometimes there are just situations where you aren't going to win it, I'm not that good at 2 vs 1 situations (in mediums) where I usually just accept defeat and just try and get as much damage done as possible.

Also, a mentor for you might be hard to find since you're already at the top percentile of players in the game, where a mentor might feel useless since if it's not one the rare people that's above your skill level, you'll be outperforming them and the need for learning falls on the wrong side of the tree.

, he was moving and I was moving, he hits 5/5 and I hit 3/5 shots fired.But this happens too often to be written off as RNG, it's more likely I do something wrong. 

This rung a bell for me...do you use auto aim in close encounters like this?

This rung a bell for me...do you use auto aim in close encounters like this?

Nah I wasn't since I figured he was moving diagonally towards my side I'd be better off making a slight lead. engagement was 100-10m until it ended. 

That may be why. At close ranges, especially in tanks with high shell velocity, like anything firing APCR, I find auto aim to be way more reliable than manual aiming. I always use it as close range except on things I need to aim at weak spots to pen. Definitely helped me when I was having similar issues.

Am I the only one who would love if roaming was ever implemented? Plats with some of the EU unicums here would be pretty interesting/fun. 

They are :D I just made an Eu reroll for the fun.

Am I the only one who would love if roaming was ever implemented? Plats with some of the EU unicums here would be pretty interesting/fun. 

I think the fun would unfortunately be cancelled out by the hordes of trolls roaming from the Motherland servers.