Ok, like so many of you I'm not the biggest fan of arty.  (Yep, I do agree it needs a nerf or better yet, remove it from the game).  That being said, I don't rage all the time about it and I know WG isn't gonna make it disappear any time soon.

Hence my question ... how do you counter arty (especially when playing in a heavy).  A light and most meds don't have too many problems since they can relocate quickly and unless arty was pre-aiming a spot where you pop up it will be difficult for them to cripple you.  And TD's aren't supposed to be spotted anyway.  But in heavies ...

So I thought I would describe my game style when arty is in the battle:

I'll go to the grinder, hold a choke point, ... and be reasonably succesfull when arty doesn't shit on me because I can be arty safe.  But there are many points where you just aren't: sand river, prokho, malinovka, red shire, airfield, ...  (the list is long).

When there is 1 arty I might take my changes and try avoiding their direct hits by staying in motion as much as possible, but with 2 and especially 3 or more I will completely change my play style or even avoid parts of the map where I normally should take my heavy.  By changing game style I mean I actually take the time to completely change location so arty has to move for sure, so they at least have the extra bloom to deal with again.  But, in these battles I find for myself that I don't do enough for the team.

On the other hand, when I watch streamers on twitch they don't always.  For example, I was watching SirFoch playing on prokho 3 times in an afternoon and every time he was in the middle shooting up at the hill (who doesn't).  But the thing is, there were 3 arties (heavy hitters too).  When he got spotted he fell back, kept moving, but didn't relocate.  Just pop up 15 secs later in about the same location and continue.  In these 3 games, arty barely shot at him.  If I try to do ... madonne ...

How do you guys deal with situations like this?  Do you risk the arty click?  Do you relocate completely?  Do you find a location that's more arty safe and just try to carry from there?

Because I know for a fact I'm doing something wrong here.  I could easily average 3k WN8, but at least 1 out of 4 games is shit because arty ruins my battle (either because I'm too passive trying to avoid them, or because they actually manage to cripple me).

Thanks for any input/insight.

It would be much easier if you can attach a replay/s of said games to help you Take better cover.

I'm sorry, there are too many ... :)  (and nothing in 8.6 yet, so don't have yet)

But it's the principle of the matter.  What do you do in situations where there are 2-3 arties on maps where you don't have (or very little) arty cover?

When I get pissed because I get clicked too much (most evenings since IMs have been introduced), I just play my T49 arty balancer and bring justice :)

It seriously needs a "Judge Dredd" inscription.

When I get pissed because I get clicked too much (most evenings since IMs have been introduced), I just play my T49 arty balancer and bring justice :)

It seriously needs a "Judge Dredd" inscription.

Spamming "the doctor is here" in all chat.

If there was a way to definitively avoid arty, it wouldn't be as big an issue as it is.

I just lay on the floor and cry pitifully until I feel better.

I get clicked, then shit talk spam chat the rest of the round, rinse and repeat. But seriously I try to stay moving or use cover but havent much luck and often get out skilled.

What does seem to have (limited) success is moving in a irrational pattern, preferably diagonally from the arties (likely) position. And when traversing a zone with high arty danger stopping and moving again helps too.

But these actions can put you in major danger from other tanks, so it's rarely an option. I wish I could give a definite answer, but I'm afraid nobody really can.

What does seem to have (limited) success is moving in a irrational pattern, preferably diagonally from the arties (likely) position. And when traversing a zone with high arty danger stopping and moving again helps too.

But these actions can put you in major danger from other tanks, so it's rarely an option. I wish I could give a definite answer, but I'm afraid nobody really can.

I've been playing SPGs in a limited fashion. This is the best advice I would give as someone trying to hit a heavy. If you are moving, it is much harder for me to "lock on."

Does this really put you in *that* much more danger from other tanks and TDs? Moving irrationally, starting and stopping, etc., should throw off someone aiming at you from across the map at a moderate distance (i.e. not brawling).

The problem in evading high tier arties lies in fact that even a missed shot can still cripple a tank significantly due to the splash damage involved.

Low tier arties tend to have low splash, so they need a direct hit to do significant damage. For many T8+ arties, a near miss can do more damage than a same tier heavy.

As was said, try to move irrationally to throw them off. If you can, move laterally to their firing position, it will make them turn their hull and bloom to follow you. If you're in something that can't really move, cry, use hard cover, and flame them if they still hit.

That said, the best defense is to not get spotted at all(aka, camp). Working as intended.

OK, well that's actually surprisingly helpfull :)

What I can basically conclude is that I'm not doing shit wrong ... 

As you mentioned, I will try to stay moving forward, backward, sideways, zig-zag, ...  when not in arty cover.  But for me (and most of you I guess) the biggest issue is the fact that arty doesn't have to move between shots when they are focussed on a grinder so they will get a lot closer and do much more damage.  So my approach to relocate so far that he has to move is basically what you do to.

Another good example of arty "avoidance" which I remembered as I got the map yesterday: E100 on Mines.  I'm sorry but when there is even 1 big hitter on the enemy team I will not go anywhere near the hill.  Just brawl on the back of the hill and stay arty safe.  That is a good example where I feel I will have let me team down, no matter how much damage I stole, win or lose.

OK, well that's actually surprisingly helpfull :)

What I can basically conclude is that I'm not doing shit wrong ... 

As you mentioned, I will try to stay moving forward, backward, sideways, zig-zag, ...  when not in arty cover.  But for me (and most of you I guess) the biggest issue is the fact that arty doesn't have to move between shots when they are focussed on a grinder so they will get a lot closer and do much more damage.  So my approach to relocate so far that he has to move is basically what you do to.

Another good example of arty "avoidance" which I remembered as I got the map yesterday: E100 on Mines.  I'm sorry but when there is even 1 big hitter on the enemy team I will not go anywhere near the hill.  Just brawl on the back of the hill and stay arty safe.  That is a good example where I feel I will have let me team down, no matter how much damage I stole, win or lose.

Another approach to the arty-safe problem is considering being arty-safe is a luxury. And a luxury you can't always afford, because of how the game is flowing/what needs to be done.

You should consider not being arty safe, if the reason for being so is critical to securing the win.

You can avoid the stank coming from your bathroom because the shit filled toilet wont flush, but it's still gonna get you even if you close the door.

Mai stronk xvm camo. Not even considered worthly enough to get clicked? Doesn't work in the week-ends tho, green means 'comparably epic' on those days.

'Serious' answer:

Ruin their traverse arc, it resets their whole aiming process. They occasionally get bored enough to leave you alone.

You want them to hold fire and try to aim. Because if they misjudged their aim and fire... It's innacurate enough to still hit.

A view from bottom...

Generally raging at arty is a useless exercise.  Does it kill some of your games?  Sure, but likely over time you have easily killed way more arty than you have ever had the 1-shot gg matches.

Rather simply I co-opt the old bear joke.

Two tankers were out in a match. They decided to work a ridge together.  From above they hear the sound of an arty shell. One tanker starts juking and jiving and dives for cover. The other tanker just stares and says, you cant out position arty, Fuck Arty, remove arty from the game!

The first tanker replies, "I don't have to out position arty, I only have to out position you."

Clickers will try for the easiest shot available, you don't have to be "arty safe", you just have to make sure there are easier targets to shoot than you.

GW pens my engine deck for 1600 damage one shot Caernarvon. I have a dislike of arty, except when I'm playing it, then for some reason the only Radley-Walters medal I own was at the hands of an 8 kill Grille game....

Clickers will try for the easiest shot available, you don't have to be "arty safe", you just have to make sure there are easier targets to shoot than you.

Arty will shoot the highest stats first because Qookiebabby says so. XVM stats are so far fucking up the game cause people just tunnel vision high stats players. Clickers getting flanked by heavies will still focus on higher stat players on the other end of the map that are no threat to them.

If youre playing heavies, there is very little you can do to avoid being clicked. Yes, you can sit in arty cover... and camp... and do fuck all the entire game. If arty would be the same as it is in warthunder, this would be fine. It would prevent people from actually camping and not punish players who are actively moving and flanking and pushing.

Arty will shoot the highest stats first because Qookiebabby says so. XVM stats are so far fucking up the game cause people just tunnel vision high stats players. Clickers getting flanked by heavies will still focus on higher stat players on the other end of the map that are no threat to them.

I take your word for it as I don't have stats to make arty overly interested in targeting me.  All things being equal sure get rid of the biggest threat, but pre-aiming a purple heavy waiting for them to peek out from some cover or juking and jiving in E6/F6 on prok while ignoring the baddies sitting still in the open seems counter to a winning strategy from a gameplay perspective.