Sign in to follow this  
gentillehawk

Extremely useful resource for replay review

Hey Wotlabs, I know that SS can be bad sometimes, but he has posted something I feel is very useful to be able to review replays. He recently linked this site:

http://wot.djgappa.com/

This has a collection of past patches, including full clients. Now you who don't bother saving those old clients can watch your old replays again. I know I need this resource, and I hope it helps you guys.

Saw that. Since 8.-something I've been saving the entire clients in other folders for older replays. Does take a lot of disk space but don't care; I've got plenty. And when I go to WOTReplays or other sites and see a replay from 5 patches ago, I simply d/l it and plop it into the appropriate replays folder and double click. Works like a charm. I just have to remember to copy each client BEFORE the new patch arrives. I also copy the mods I have along wit the client (I use Anfield's pack) and they generally tend to still work, until they age off. But this is a nice resource to have.

What would be better would be if WG would simply make all replays reverse-compatible with older patches. I can understand why some are not (major changes in the client, etc.), but this generally doesn't appear to be rocket science.

I think the big reason is map changes that we may not notice - screws with whatever position data they have in those things. And the site is useful for me because I don't have the spare disk space anymore - not with games the size of hard drives ten years on my measly 500 GB one.

Saw that. Since 8.-something I've been saving the entire clients in other folders for older replays. Does take a lot of disk space but don't care; I've got plenty. And when I go to WOTReplays or other sites and see a replay from 5 patches ago, I simply d/l it and plop it into the appropriate replays folder and double click. Works like a charm. I just have to remember to copy each client BEFORE the new patch arrives. I also copy the mods I have along wit the client (I use Anfield's pack) and they generally tend to still work, until they age off. But this is a nice resource to have.

What would be better would be if WG would simply make all replays reverse-compatible with older patches. I can understand why some are not (major changes in the client, etc.), but this generally doesn't appear to be rocket science.

Lots of people say "WG should just add x; it doesn't seem that hard" when in fact it is pretty complicated. Replays are probably just a list of commands that the server sent to your client for all the players that are revealed to you (e.g. where they're moving and if they're firing) along with either a seed for the RNG or a list of all the damage/shell trajectories that happened. If you wanted anything close to backwards compatibility, you'd need to add in vehicle stats (dispersion, terrain resistence, shell stats, etc), collision models so hit registration and ramming works, and map terrain or else you'll have tanks clipping through things everywhere. That's not even mentioning if tanks/maps were removed or what not.

Ignoring how big a replay file would be, you'd probably have a nightmare in terms of updating your replay system to allow for those changes. That's not even mentioning the amount of complaining that will happen when you distribute major patches that break replay compatibility. The only winning move here is not to play.