Jesse_the_Scout

Talk about sheltered premium removal...

Alternatives do exist. They could bring existing premium tanks to full MM and simply buff them in exchange. Just saying. This does come with the problem that there's probably going to still be players who demand refunds, but if the buffs are strong enough than most of these guys will probably stay quiet. But that runs the risk of overbuffing premium tanks and getting accusations of pay2win (whatever that's worth). As opposed to WG's current scheme which is to completely replace the existing premiums. Ok, lets say that they stay the course but want players to play regular MM premiums.

There are ways they could accomplish such a thing without having to nerf anything. Want IS-6 drivers to somehow get ahold of an IS-5 and play that instead? Give them financial incentives to do so. Maybe they'll give a massive price discount for the new premiums to anyone who already owns premiums of the same nation, tier, and class. Or maybe they'll offer some sort of in-game free trial of the IS-5 to anyone who owns an IS-6 and give them the choice of trading the former for the latter free of charge. Or it could be even simpler and more elegant than that; maybe the IS-5 will actually be a more fun tank to play and players will buy it willingly. Doesn't mean it has to be OP, it just has to be worth its price.

And fundamentally that just comes down to whether or not its playstyle is frustrating. I really shouldn't have to state the obvious, but team-dependence is obnoxious and unpleasant. RNG-dependence is even more so. If they were selling a premium tank that was at least somewhat independent and didn't gamble everything on RNG, I'd buy it.

Hell, many of the preferential tier VIII premiums are already better than my T34, which does not get preferential match making. If the preferential match making tier VIII's get buffed, then my T34 gets screwed, again. Granted, it was somewhat free, completely free if you don't count enduring a horrific grind to get it before it became a premium. But, still, I'm already seeing tier IX regularly in a tier VII heavy with tier VI view range, zero mobility, and a handicapped (by handling) tier VIII cannon.

Hell, never mind my personal situation. What about those who bought the T34 with real money, without preferential match making? If wargaming buffs the preferential match making tanks in order to take away their preferential match making, they just effectively nerfed the crap out of the T34, again, by making the others it already faced stronger. I guess maybe they'll buff the profit potential.

premium tanks are not the biggest source of income for WG, so it doesnt matter that much (credits for gold packages are the biggest afaik :XD ) so it does make sense to make tier 10 more attractive :P

(and after credits for gold i guess premium account)

ps: and many players also dont care much for special mm, normal tier 8 tanks are on EU fine, only in platoon they seem (seem, just feeling, no numbers) to get a bit worse mm, but solo i dont get that much tier 10 games (1/4?)

IIRC XP conversion is one of their top earners as well.

It's hardly surprising that they want to remove the influence of pref MM tanks. One of the big issues in this game and one that can always drive people away is matchmaking. I stopped playing WT planes because of their horrific changes to MM.

If you have more special snowflakes in your MM queue that means that the not so special snowflakes get shafted even more, because the special snowflakes are not available for some matches. Removing them (or reducing their numbers relative to regular MM tanks) makes overall MM easier for regular tanks and also allows a greater number of combinations to work. This is a crucial point if you want to impose additional restrictions on MM (like tank roles) to make overall MM more balanced without driving queue times through the roof.

And as always: They say one thing and mean another. Removing the E25 because it's OP, but leaving the SU-122-44 as is. Totally has nothing to do with MM, it's just that the E25 is so OP - besides the fact that it is even more situational than the SU. Obvious BS.

IIRC XP conversion is one of their top earners as well.

Yeah, they also earn a lot on that, and also dont forget those microtransactions (camo, garage slots, more barack space, low tier prems,polish and german flags) combined make for quite some gold.

I myself have like 100 garage slots, that would be 15k gold, over the time I got a lot for free (every tech tree change for a free tank i made sure i had that tank for more slots, same T-127 was a nice 10 free slots) but its still 50 bought? trow in some permanents camo`s, 2x a baracks upgrade, some low tier trash tanks for 300-750 gold and it`s all combined all of a sudden quite a lot gold

ps: there is a reason WG makes suchs huge profit / player / month :P

FTR just posted another tidbit about slowly but surely, pref mm tanks will be removed from the shop.

I know I'll be starting to snatch up the goodies soon. I just hope I can grab a KV5.

So does this mean that sheltered MM tanks in the future will somehow gain the player "better" MM? Will a platoon of E25's balls up the system?

The E-25 is MM weighted like a heavy tank, if you are unlucky the enemy team will have an extra 3 Tiger I/IS/T29 tanks to balance out. It already shits up the MM for that reason alone, but for the worse in a twisted way for your team...

- if you want a solid performer, buy FCM 50t and not AMX CDC, as they are certainly planning to remove it from the store

- IS-6 won’t be removed from the store in quite a bit of time, as it’s the most purchased currently (SS: of tier 8 premiums? Unclear here)

It seems odd the 50t is going since it's not some crazy performer. They must really be dead set against sheltered. It'll be hard to wean themselves off the IS-6 OP tank cash cow, but it's in their own best interest in the long term.

The bulk of WG money comes from gold to credits conversion (terrible conversion rate, incredibly useful for the average retard that can't pen 2 shots in a row), so they're doing this change just to ensure the retards in tier Xs can farm enough tier VIII asshats, i for once, am happy wih my IS-6. Fuck +2/-2 MM.

I'm still debating whether or not to get a 50T or a CDC. Instinct suggests I'll probably enjoy both (I love the comet which also has paper tank issues, but obviously a stronger turret).

If you're buying anything get sheltereds. They really are going to pull some-all of them, and for the most part sheltereds are just superior to play overall. The others will still be there if you decide to get one later. I went ahead and picked up the still unplayed T-34-3 during this recent sale since it was the only sheltered I don't have (other than the 112, but I have a 111 already).

A lot of why WG is doing this is that sheltereds reduce the randomization factor. WG's entire business model revolves around letting stupid people have 1 occasional monstrous carry game when the stars align for them so they pat themselves on the back, feel good about how awesome they are, and then open their wallet. For this to be possible the game has to have huge random elements which can cut excellent players down to potatoes and make reds the heroes for a game. Sheltereds reduce that random factor, hence that experiment where some triple purples rolled 98% WR for a 100 battles or whatever it was in IS-6s. Sheltereds threaten the status quo of averaging every one to 49.5% since you're never truly bottom tier in one.

If you're buying anything get sheltereds. They really are going to pull some-all of them, and for the most part sheltereds are just superior to play overall. The others will still be there if you decide to get one later. I went ahead and picked up the still unplayed T-34-3 during this recent sale since it was the only sheltered I don't have (other than the 112, but I have a 111 already).

A lot of why WG is doing this is that sheltereds reduce the randomization factor. WG's entire business model revolves around letting stupid people have 1 occasional monstrous carry game when the stars align for them so they pat themselves on the back, feel good about how awesome they are, and then open their wallet. For this to be possible the game has to have huge random elements which can cut excellent players down to potatoes and make reds the heroes for a game. Sheltereds reduce that random factor, hence that experiment where some triple purples rolled 98% WR for a 100 battles or whatever it was in IS-6s. Sheltereds threaten the status quo of averaging every one to 49.5% since you're never truly bottom tier in one.

While this is partly true, unicums with good tanks can also manage 95% with normal tier 8`s, so it wont really ``solve`` that problem

Its more related to RU server i think, i assume prem sales on RU dropped (due to ruble crash etc), so by making them cheaper (and WG can make prems with full mm cheaper as spmm prems) they will again sell better

and its ofc also possible its the other way around, huge influx of prems started to screw over balanced of normal t8`s (more t10 fights with a lot of t10s)

Honestly, I think a large reason is that players driving sheltered MM tanks want to drive with other sheltered MM tanks.   A few things can happen as a result of this:

- People without such tanks might want to buy them to run them with their friends

- Both groups (with and without) may play less, because those without don't buy them, and then these people say "eh screw it" because there is no one to platoon with, so they log out.

I suspect WG's number crunchers have decided the latter is happening more often.

and its ofc also possible its the other way around, huge influx of prems started to screw over balanced of normal t8`s (more t10 fights with a lot of t10s)

The pref 8s don't mess with the normal 8s very much. What really messes with normal 8s is the lack of 10s (for Battle Tier 10), which often forces normal 8s to sit in queue for above average times. This is the reason why Battle Tier 12 was eliminated out right, to push more 10s down to Battle Tier 10. So I doubt normal 8s is the issue. It could actually be the lower tiers (6 and 7) seeing Battle Tier 8-9 games with way too many 8s in them.

Really? I see nothing but blues and purples playing this thing....is that not a sign in itself?

Wouldn't call that a bad sign. It indicates two things: good player can perform especially well in this tank, mediocre players struggle. Neither is a surprise.

I suspect part of the reason is future-proofing for the inevitable decline in player numbers. Sorting a few hundred players in queue, randomly distributed across 10 vehicle tiers, into quasi-balanced groups of 15 is actually not that easy and limited MM is actively sabotaging the process since these tanks can only be placed into 2 or 1 battle tiers instead of 3.

Back in the days when we had +/-3 MM, the devs have always vehemently denied any possibility of +/-2MM because they knew it would cause problems. They eventually relented after the server population reached a point that made it viable. I would not be surprised if we return to +/-3 MM at some point in future.