WaterWar

In-depth comparison of the tier VIII scouts by WaterWar (outdated)

I will NOT announce “one scout to rule them all” as that is just stupid.

"One scout to rule them all, one scout to light them all, one scout to circle them all and in the darkness clip them".   =D

Bad jokes aside, great thread and thanks for putting the time into such a comprehensive comparison.

O well, the forums don't let me copy and paste from a spreadsheet. The traverse speed stats on suspensions are misleading. If you factor in the engine power delta of the worst and the best engine, the T-54 LT gets 67.3, RU gets 55.4, T49 gets 48.4, 13 90 gets 56 and WZ 132 gets 56. In other words, WZ 132 isn't that much more mobile than the others and the T-54 LT is way better in that regard.

O well, the forums don't let me copy and paste from a spreadsheet. The traverse speed stats on suspensions are misleading. If you factor in the engine power delta of the worst and the best engine, the T-54 LT gets 67.3, RU gets 55.4, T49 gets 48.4, 13 90 gets 56 and WZ 132 gets 56. In other words, WZ 132 isn't that much more mobile than the others and the T-54 LT is way better in that regard.

I am not sure I understand what the difference between the best and worst engine of each tank has to do with the traverse speeds.

Could you care to elaborate? :)

Interesting and detailed article, as allways Water  :doubleguns2:

From experience driving it, RU is actually a very potent sniper, thus when you say that

"he RU251 has more penetration (250 mm) but it is HEAT so it has no normalisation and can be absorbed by spaced armour. Therefore I rank it as worse than the two others." ,

I think that althought it's objectively worse indeed, for what you will use it for, it's the best ammo type you could get.

At least, for how I play the tank ^^.

I belive he is refering to the article in core mechanics subforum. 

The actual traverse value of tanks vs listed value

I am not sure I understand what the difference between the best and worst engine of each tank has to do with the traverse speeds.

Could you care to elaborate? :)

The traverse speed stats you see in your garage are for the worst engine available on a tank.

Example:

Tank A has a 100 HP engine and a 200 HP engine.

Tank B has a 200 HP engine only.

Both tank A and tank B have a nominal traverse speed of 30°/s.

Effectively, assuming both tanks have equal terrain resistance, tank A traverses at 60°/s while tank B's traverse speed remains at merely 30°/s.

But wouldn't that calculation also depend on terrain resistance values for different suspensions and whatnot?

Sounds like a complicated mechanic WG has made - no surprise there I suppose.

The terrain resistance is factored in as well, but I think the difference between the light tanks, WZ 132 and T-54 LT in particular, is not large enough to make up for the raw traverse speed advantage.

E: But then again, nobody really knows how that shit is calculated.

Camo values should be listed when the crew is 100% camoed up, camo skill greatly amplifies differences in camo values.

I like to make articles without taking different skills into account, as that adds a whole new layer of complexity. It makes it easier to compare the camouflage values with other tanks if they are all the 'base values'. :)

People should be able to think for themselves just a bit and go: "Ok, so if the base value is already better, if I then put on camouflage paint and full camouflage crew, then the differences should increase."

Despite WZ-132 being my favorite tank in the game right now, after reading this and having a long discussion in wotlabs ingame chat I just have to admit the only real advantage 132 gets is 10 more VR, 15 more pen (with 100mm) and ,02 better final accuracy (untill fully aimed T-54l is probably more accurate than 132). Literally everything else is worse, equal, or just so slightly better but not worth taking into consideration (camo, shell speed, gun elevation). The camo difference is only a 5m difference against an E 100 with BIA. Thanks to mobility and agility I would say T-54l is just as good of a scout as 132. It's much harder to kill. It can brawl much better. It is a much better sniper unless redline sniping. It flanks better.

Nice write up :) Makes me want to finish the grind to the T49 and T54 Lt. One question though - even though you didn't name the best tank out of the bunch, which of these light tanks do you enjoy playing the most?

Despite WZ-132 being my favorite tank in the game right now, after reading this and having a long discussion in wotlabs ingame chat I just have to admit the only real advantage 132 gets is 10 more VR, 15 more pen (with 100mm) and ,02 better final accuracy (untill fully aimed T-54l is probably more accurate than 132). Literally everything else is worse, equal, or just so slightly better but not worth taking into consideration (camo, shell speed, gun elevation). The camo difference is only a 5m difference against an E 100 with BIA. Thanks to mobility and agility I would say T-54l is just as good of a scout as 132. It's much harder to kill. It can brawl much better. It is a much better sniper unless redline sniping. It flanks better.

"much harder to kill" is a bit of an overstatement. The armour of the T54 lwt only counts for something against other scouts with low pen guns (<175 mm) as any tier IX and X tank can go straight through your turret front. Only yolo-angles can save you against those tanks. Granted, the T54 lwt. has a few more YOLO-angles than the WZ-132 because of the increased thickness, but the T54 lwt is also a substanstially bigger target (which is something you didn't compare, it seems). I can easily dance around/between tanks/terrain features/whatever with the WZ-132 where as it is harder to hide the T54 lwt. It is also easier to hide in bushes with the WZ-132 where the T54 lwt. will simply be too fat to fit.

I still feel like the WZ-132 is the best pure scout of them all. It may not feel that way because of how few open maps there are so you quite often want something that can fight back rather than scout. 

Excellent guide.  I was debating between climbing the USA line for the T49 or the French line for the 13 90 for the light tank missions and this gave me all the info I needed.  Much appreciated.

Excellent guide.  I was debating between climbing the USA line for the T49 or the French line for the 13 90 for the light tank missions and this gave me all the info I needed.  Much appreciated.

Wait what which did you pick?

TBH I am 10k exp away from the 13 90 and the ELC AMX is just F.U.N. (yeah capitals)... the 12t was okay and I am actually liking the 13 75 quite a lot...

I like what I have seen of the M41 bulldog but the T49 is a bit mweh... yes nice for derping around but not really a tank in any line up I can think of.

Wow what a fantastic description. Thanks a lot waterwar. Just what I needed after the update

I am grinding for the 132 to keep along my existing amx 13 90.

I don't like tanks with 2 viable guns because they both sometimes lack a bit. I think I am going for the 100 because pen is higher and I think heat is really bad as you should be tracking. I find the dpm of the 100 not that good though :(

Wait what which did you pick?

TBH I am 10k exp away from the 13 90 and the ELC AMX is just F.U.N. (yeah capitals)... the 12t was okay and I am actually liking the 13 75 quite a lot...

I like what I have seen of the M41 bulldog but the T49 is a bit mweh... yes nice for derping around but not really a tank in any line up I can think of.

T49 is a good cancer hunter, WTFE100s love them.