Ninjamoose

Tier 8 stronghold tank meta

We in RDDT9 run a lot of tier 6 strongholds for giggly shits, but we've taken interest in tier 8 strongholds.

We have been brainstorming, and have come to the conclusion that your standard mix of IS3's, 50 100's, 13 90s are the way to go. 

Is there an optimal mix of tanks?

Maximize the amount of pref 8s to get the most credit income.

(or just do what we do and just play w/e the F tanks we want)

Lol that Lôwe.

As much as I like your strat though it requires that you 1) be in a bottom tier clan that doesn't give a shit or 2) be in a top tier clan that doesn't give a shit.

Being in the middle means you have to put up with stressed up people about muh win rate

We have been brainstorming, and have come to the conclusion that your standard mix of IS3's, 50 100's, 13 90s are the way to go. 

Is there an optimal mix of tanks?

On some maps it can be useful to have a scout capable of continuous fire support, so having 1 non-auto-loader scout never hurts. Also mixing one or two 110 in between the IS-3 never hurts either and when you have to hard push some positions having the 110 with the much better frontal armor go in front can help to preserve HP. Bringing one T32 or Pershing also usually pays off. Gun depression + turret armor is a good combination to have on a lot of maps.

Otherwise:

Maximize the amount of pref 8s to get the most credit income.

(or just do what we do and just play w/e the F tanks we want)

IxofUkb.jpg?1

We usually do that when we have the +50% credit bonus running. 111/112/IS-6 hordes supported by a few scouts or Type-59's are quiet effective at rush tactics.

IS3's, 50 100's, and 1390's are never a bad choice, however, its probably best you look into running at least one american heavy. While they're considerably slower compared to their russian and french counterparts, their hull down ability as well as gun depression make them formidable tanks for defensive calls. T34 has an excellent rate of fire, penetration, and damage with a skilled crew, and given a good hull down spot free from flanking, you can easily take on 1-2 IS3's.

It also helps to run at least one TD, the current meta is still the RHM I believe. I haven't played it personally, but I see them quite often, sniping of course. As to what gun to use? From my experiences seeing it battle, youll see the 12cm and 15cm almost equally often. It's most definitely up to the preference of the player.

And finally, a last tactic that my clanmates actually tried recently in strongholds is bringing a walker bulldog or two as a scout(s). Sure its only a tier 7 tank, but with its massive clip and high mobility, it can make short work of unsuspecting tanks, though like all light tanks, be careful not to pick a fight with a pack of heavies. You might be able to get away with 2 heavies as long as neither are autoloaders, anymore than that... that is just suicide.

IS3's, 50 100's, and 1390's are never a bad choice, however, its probably best you look into running at least one american heavy. While they're considerably slower compared to their russian and french counterparts, their hull down ability as well as gun depression make them formidable tanks for defensive calls. T34 has a excellent  bad rate of fire and is slow, penetration, and damage with a skilled crew, and given a good hull down spot free from flanking (i.e. you camp), you can easily take on 1-2 IS3's T1 Cunninghams(Seriously, T32)

It also helps to run at least one TD, the current meta is still the RHM I believe. I haven't played it personally, but I see them quite often, sniping of course. As to what gun to use? From my experiences seeing it battle, youll see the 12cm and 15cm almost equally often. It's most definitely up to the preference of the player. TDs are inflexible and lack hp, if you want a sniper, take the Object 416 (you can make an argument for a JP2). Also bringing a TD means that you cannot bring artillery unless you enjoy getting rushed.

And finally, a last tactic that my clanmates actually tried recently in strongholds is bringing a walker bulldog or two as a scout(s). Sure its only a tier 7 tank, but with its massive clip and high mobility, it can make short work of unsuspecting tanks, though like all light tanks, be careful not to pick a fight with a pack of heavies. You might be able to get away with 2 heavies as long as neither are autoloaders, anymore than that... that is just suicide.

Fixed that for you.  :verysmug:

We used to run t8 stronks (doing t10 now coz moah resources) and had a core of 50 100s and IS-3s, spiced up with T32/110. 13 90s and 1-2 RU-251s as well as occasionally one SPG tho we evenually preferred to go with max fire power. In the end, it boils down to having more guns on target than the enemy, i.e. timing, focus fire and individual player skill - that's why good clans can reach satisfying win rates with ridiculous setups.

T8 skirmishes are just perfect to grind money. We run very often setups with full FCM and some Scouts and it works very good. You have the speed to react and the penetration to get through every enemy you meet. And you do a shitload of credits.

T8 skirmishes are just perfect to grind money. We run very often setups with full FCM and some Scouts and it works very good. You have the speed to react and the penetration to get through every enemy you meet. And you do a shitload of credits.

I don't want to take anything away from Ninjamoose but don't you think that full FCM + scout stronks are good advice for green clans who are also new to tier 8 stronks? I fully believe that EFE makes it work tho ;-)

If you want easy setup to win most of your games take one scout, few 50100, then IS3s/110s. Whatever map, send scout to other side(stay alive) and everyone else to other side and push aggressively. Kill everything main force finds, come back to defend if needed. That tactic beats like 80% of time everyone who: 

- split their force

- have slow tanks that can't keep up with main force(like T34)

- have td's(low hp)

- have more scouts 

- have shit tanks

It is not random battle, you should not try to spread you force evenly, "protect base" with one tank or anything like that. Make sure you have huge overwhelming advantage in one place and kill everyone there fast, after that most of the time you have already won game. One TD/T34/whatever in base doesn't usually do anything until game is already lost. That is also why you don't want slow heavies, whole point is that your main force can move together and move fast enough.

Seems like I don't have much for a tier VIII stronghold then. I have a T32, a Tiger II, and a T34 for heavies. Apparently only the T32 is a viable option. The T34 and the Tiger II are too slow to flex, and would arrive late behind a main force. The Pershing is a lighter T32 with a smaller cannon, it might be viable. Not sure if the T69 will work, it might be useful as a "finisher".

This is good to know, since I often join groups that are short handed when running tier VI stronghold. I've got a wider selection at tier VI. I've been pretty successful, except for last night when the group I joined didn't tell me what they wanted me to bring, just bitched about what I brought. I would have been glad to bring what they wanted, had they been good enough to tell me. I've been doing it to learn from good players, and to see if maybe there is a clan I might be a fit for, to join and improve. I've certainly ruled one group out, although they probably wouldn't have me any way, I'm happy for both of us.

Naah, it's not like you can't play with other tanks. It is just more simple when you have tanks that can work together. T8 SH is not that competitive at least in EU, you don't need to have optimal line up to win games, you just don't win quite as much. Also having optimal line-up makes it much easier for FC. You can imagine how fun it must be to come up with strategy for that "2xFCM, 3xscout, STA-1, one TD, T34, one stock Tiger 2 and random T7 that someone is grinding"-lineup.

It may be true on the EU, but on the NA server, odds are you'll get told to take a hike if you even consider bringing U.S. or German heavies to a tier VIII stronghold. I can get picked up as a mercenary for tier VI pretty easy, and most nights, I'm a decent contributor to a 75% w/r/. Odds are, I'll never see a tier VIII stronghold simply because I don't have the vehicles they want.

Tryhard Setup on EU would look like: 2xScout (RU, 1390, 54 Lw), 1 Arty, 2x AMX50100, 5 Heavies (IS3, 110, T32). With the arty you can play a bit around if you dont have a "good" Arty-player. We had good results if he takes one Support Tank as Rhm, Charioteer, Sniping Medium (Obj 416, Panther 2, Sta 1).

But just see what fits your playstil. If you are good at mass Heavy Pushes 2x Scouts+8xIS3 would also work good.

And on EU the Skilllevel in T8 is not the highest, which drastically changes at T10 where most of the Teams play with a proper FC and communications and at least try to run some kind of tactics.

Being in the middle means you have to put up with stressed up people about muh win rate

Personal WR does not include Strongholds (that is a different category) and it isn't included in ratings.

Personal WR does not include Strongholds (that is a different category) and it isn't included in ratings.

Yes, I'm talking about stronghold WR there. Can't let it dip!

Foxey usually does somthing similar to what Luna posted, we care lessish what people bring, but usually its backed up by some IS-3s/50 100s maybe a 13 90, or we use RU 251s or T-54LWs (the T-54 is the a really good combat light) 

mediums are Pershings mostly, maybe the occasional STA-1. not much else. also what reptile said, we use an arty every so often. 

I will not shy away from running my FCM though, if I want some cash. and all the shitter clans that hard turtle every game just make it easy to pad them. 

in tier 6 I just bring my Dicker Max for shits and giggles, and for training its crew

Foxey usually does somthing similar to what Luna posted, we care lessish what people bring, but usually its backed up by some IS-3s/50 100s maybe a 13 90, or we use RU 251s or T-54LWs (the T-54 is the a really good combat light) 

mediums are Pershings mostly, maybe the occasional STA-1. not much else. also what reptile said, we use an arty every so often. 

I will not shy away from running my FCM though, if I want some cash. and all the shitter clans that hard turtle every game just make it easy to pad them. 

in tier 6 I just bring my Dicker Max for shits and giggles, and for training its crew

As many t49 as you can bring only meta. Well....can't bring no less than 5 or it won't work.