So, anybody picking Total War: Attila up?

It seems like Rome II was pretty much a beta test for Attila. It seems to have an amazing ammount of fun mechanics that will make it what we wished Rome II would be.

My body is ready for it right now. If anybody picks it up maybe we can play an online campaign, or some online battles at least.

I pre ordered and pre loaded yesterday. Based on the review copies given to youtubers I watch, looks good.

Yeah, I'm on the same boat. It's 100% ready for when it releases.

I've been watching Heir of Carthage's videos and I'm completely sold for it.

Can't wait to give the Western Roman Empire a try. :doge:

To be entirely honest: I highly doubt that I will pick it up. I had a blast on RTW Barbarian Invasion holding the Western Roman Empire together (some of my most memorable battles and my worst defeat. Challenged myself to try to win that one in a reload for teh lulz, but I simpy couldn't), but apart from them I believe the time period to be less interesting for a TW setting as the big empires are only going to crumble which could potentialy lessen the already meager end game challenge of Rome II.
Main factor for me however is that I am a sucker for phalanx combat coupled with hammer and anvil strikes and after the diadochi the Phalanx is pretty much gone. Also horse archers everywhere.
However I am curious if they will make emergent factions playable (like the Romano-British from Barbarian Invasion).

--> From what I have gathered I believe that the game will be good, however I have my doubts that the time period will provide much entertainment once you have done the big Empires.

To be entirely honest: I highly doubt that I will pick it up. I had a blast on RTW Barbarian Invasion holding the Western Roman Empire together (some of my most memorable battles and my worst defeat. Challenged myself to try to win that one in a reload for teh lulz, but I simpy couldn't), but apart from them I believe the time period to be less interesting for a TW setting as the big empires are only going to crumble which could potentialy lessen the already meager end game challenge of Rome II.

Main factor for me however is that I am a sucker for phalanx combat coupled with hammer and anvil strikes and after the diadochi the Phalanx is pretty much gone. Also horse archers everywhere.

However I am curious if they will make emergent factions playable (like the Romano-British from Barbarian Invasion).

--> From what I have gathered I believe that the game will be good, however I have my doubts that the time period will provide much entertainment once you have done the big Empires.

I feel what you say. On the other hand, I think the game will get a lot of fun value by the new migration mechanic. On the other hand, I wonder if you will be able to choose the religion of your faction. We're talking about a time when Paganism was losing ground fast against Christianity, but there were still pagan Roman Emperors every now and then. Being able to choose the religion of my head of faction and have that play an important role would be extremely fun and immersive for me.

Maybe you will be able to take the challenge of returning Rome to glory under the blessing of the Old Gods (Which is something I would LOVE to be able to do).

It's out.

And it seems good. Maybe less optimized than Rome II? I'm getting unpleasant framerates with everything maxed out, but graphics also seem uglier than in Rome II. Not sure how that works?

I'm having fun, and I've only played the prologue so far. It seems to be explaining everything as if I had never played Total War before, but it's doing a good job of explaining the basics, so that's good.

I said 'wait for a sale'

Didn't I, Pocktio?

I said wait for a sale and what did you do? Pocktio bought it. 

Fucking consumer whore, Pocktio.

Seems pretty solid. 

Factions have much more character and involvement past 'Oh hey I'm Rome so I am red and my units look Roman' due to the advisers, missions and cutscenes. 

The UI feels more appropriate and fitted. No more gaudy unit cards. AI seems better, they actually defended their siege equipment properly like holy shit. Siege battles will be more fun now units don't have grappling hooks of infinite bullshit. You can still torch a gate, but you need ladders/towers to storm walls. It would be super easy to block a gatehouse with a very solid, heavy unit. 

Aesthetically as pleasurable as the first, fire effects <3 I have yet to burn a city to the ground but my limited skirmishes have seen trees go up and arrow towers go down. You can now target buildings with units to set fire to all the things too, which is neat. It will obviously result in a more damaged city after the battle. It's much more immersive I guess. 

Horde-mode is straight from BI. Excellent addition. Everything is stripped down to cultures, which have one to four factions. They all have fairly unique traits which is lovely. 

Basically it's what Napoleon did to Empire, a completely fantastic refinement and condensation of all the was good, and the removal of the bad. 

Gonna be hitting up a severely sexy viking campaign fosho.

Have it , playing it , loving it 

only thing I've an issue is with cavalry not disengaging properly , had a few issues where I've had 2/3 cav units swarm a unit from all sides , enemy routes , I try to pull my cav out and they get suck for bout 20/30 seconds while most of the unit moves away 

Sieges however are epic 

I'm a sucker for antiquity since Uni, and particularly the Late Empire period, and will probably pick this one someday, but not now, because I've just only started playing Rome2, because I buy games only during steam sales, and, knowing CA, the game will benefit from a few rounds of patching and some modding anyway.

Sieges however are epic

Have they fixed the damn pathfinding already?

I'm a sucker for antiquity since Uni, and particularly the Late Empire period, and will probably pick this one someday, but not now, because I've just only started playing Rome2, because I buy games only during steam sales, and, knowing CA, the game will benefit from a few rounds of patching and some modding anyway.

Have they fixed the damn pathfinding already?

If by "Fixing" you mean half my units will make out with a building's walls while the rest get utterly rekt, then yes, they did.

But jokes aside, pathfinding is as bad as in any TW game I remember. Disengage also has problems and we still have that thing with skirmishers not firing when the enemy unit is in range and reposition 'till they are closer than they need to. I guess that is because skirmishers like firing at the center of units.

In any case, Attila is quite good I'd say. I'm trying to play the Western Roman Empire in Legendary... It's a challenge, let's put it like that, but hey, if I can do that, I can do anything! (Except maybe getting laid).

If there is something that rustles my jimmies though, is that we'll have to pay for blood. Again. For the very same animations of Rome II. WTFmoneygrab.

Let me know when there's a Total War: Khan.

Feel free to pick up TW: Medieval II. There were Mongols there... And they were scary.

Or pick Crusader Kings II: There are Mongols there... And then you can fight +200.000- non-attritionable horse archers that will literally eat half a million of your men for breakfast.

Edited by FlavioB

Picked this up today to test my new GPU out. Runs great, and it's a lot of fun (way better than Rome 2 was at launch). I flunked the historical battle at the end of the prologue first time round because I focused on the skirmishers rather than the spears. 

One thing I've noticed is that the AI is really aggressive in going after the player if at war. I'm currently running the fuck away from the Huns as the Visigoths and they've followed me all the way from Greece to Germany (which, given I have fuck all for them to loot, is actually kind of stupid). I also, for some reason, have the Arabian client state of the ERE following me over the Alps. I'm trying to make it to the promised land of Magheritas and Paella but it isn't going to be easy.

EDIT: GG fail. Fuck the Huns. Seriously, it's fucking stupid. They chased me clean across Europe with two hordes, then after I kicked the shit out of them they hired two full stacks of mercs and wrecked me. It's nice to see that the TW AI is still a fucking tosser.

what are differrnces?

Family tree system is back, UI tweaks, the campaign AI is smarter in some ways and the campaign itself is a lot harder. You can't blob easily because the AI has been tuned to prioritise the player when at war (hence the Hun's insane pubbie YOLO tactics that ended my Visigoth run). The starting situation is also not really conducive to blobbing and is inherently unstable (unless you go kerbstomp Britain and then turtle up there). Horde mechanics are in representing nomads and migrating peoples and agents have been rebalanced a bit (no more poisoning the shit out of armies and then killing them with five guys).

The battle AI is still stupid, sadly. They tend to win through superior numbers rather than tactical nouse (although I've seen them do some slightly smarter things than in Rome, like using their skirmishers properly to engage elephants). It looks like they've taken some hints from CHAI actually, because I had an ERE army kemp redline in boosh against me the other day and had to run clean around the map with my cavalry to locate them.

I actually had the AI flank me , I camped a bridge with some spear units , lol , GG 

Somehow they managed to sneak 5 units around the map to a ford which were hidden the entire time by some buildings blocking my troops line of sight, still won but took heavy losses 

Campaign is actually fucking hard , struggled big time as the WRE , I used my barbarian invasion tactics and just abandoned France/Germany and held onto Spain, Italy UK and turtled up , but i got fucked over big time Ai is crazy aggressive , playing as the Vikings or Visigoths is a lot easier however  

I was about to ask where all the Tagmata Cavalry was.

Then I noticed that's single player. Now I'm just confused.

The AI marched straight past my army into a forest, where I assumed they'd stayed. Turns out they kept going and sat on the red line. The rest of their army is kemped in boosh to the left flank of the visible ones. It's like they recorded wot pubbies and told their AI to just "do that".