Solono

MaxL_1023's Strategy Series - All About Ammunition

Something dun goofed with the internet hamster.

Also, might want to include this on HE penetration mechanics. I honestly thought that HE purely depended on the width of armor (i.e. infinite normalization) like in real life.

Yeah, I'm under the impression that an HE shell will penetrate the listed value of armor BEFORE detonating. IE the 10.5cm shell on my VK 28 has 53mm of pentration. If I shoot at an ELC AMX with 14 mm or so of frontal armor, the shell will not detonate until it is inside the tank, one shotting it. If I'm shooting a Leopard though, with 50 mm of frontal armor, and it's sloped (we'll pretend this gives an effective armor of 80mm) my HE round will penetrate 53mm of the armor, then detonate, with the explosion not reaching the interior of the tank- just knocking things around inside and doing maybe 200 hp of damage. Sure, this isn't realistic, but  this is how I envision it working game mechanic-wise.

Yeah, I'm under the impression that an HE shell will penetrate the listed value of armor BEFORE detonating. IE the 10.5cm shell on my VK 28 has 53mm of pentration. If I shoot at an ELC AMX with 14 mm or so of frontal armor, the shell will not detonate until it is inside the tank, one shotting it. If I'm shooting a Leopard though, with 50 mm of frontal armor, and it's sloped (we'll pretend this gives an effective armor of 80mm) my HE round will penetrate 53mm of the armor, then detonate, with the explosion not reaching the interior of the tank- just knocking things around inside and doing maybe 200 hp of damage. Sure, this isn't realistic, but  this is how I envision it working game mechanic-wise.

That's how the game interprets it: The game calculates shell penetrating first, then explosion, as if to say that the HE shell penetration is caused by the shell and not the HE.

The silly thing is that in real life, the penetrating capabilities of the shell itself are negligible compared to the penetrating capability of the shockwave. This is how HESH works.

In reality, HESH would be absolutely MONSTROUS against sloped armor and would absolutely wreck sidescraping because the deformation of the shell by the slope only slightly affects the penetrating capability (i.e. it affects the ability of the shell to deform to its optimal shape).

In game though, Wargaming made it the other way around by making HESH garbage against sloped armor.

That's how the game interprets it: The game calculates shell penetrating first, then explosion, as if to say that the HE shell penetration is caused by the shell and not the HE.

The silly thing is that in real life, the penetrating capabilities of the shell itself are negligible compared to the penetrating capability of the shockwave. This is how HESH works.

In reality, HESH would be absolutely MONSTROUS against sloped armor and would absolutely wreck sidescraping because the deformation of the shell by the slope only slightly affects the penetrating capability (i.e. it affects the ability of the shell to deform to its optimal shape).

In game though, Wargaming made it the other way around by making HESH garbage against sloped armor.

Yeah, all WG should do is give HESH low base penetration (like 170 or 200 or so) but monster normalisation, like 40-50 deg, so armor thickness will be more important as angle against HESH (IS7 front is only 150mm, so would give poor protection, while maus UFP would give good protection)

(also sidescarping wont work much, since the normalisation is so massive)

but WG and common sense...

They can't buff HESH, otherwise it would be game-breaking. If HESH normalized more than 10 degrees and didn't ricochet until 85 (like heat does) it would basically negate armor facing. Anything except for the Maus would have spots which 200 HESH pen could reliably go through frontally. 

Heck, my 183 even now (after the pen nerf) can go through the LOS front of tier 10 heavies with 230 HESH often enough to make it worth loading when I have a clear shot. 

They can't buff HESH, otherwise it would be game-breaking. If HESH normalized more than 10 degrees and didn't ricochet until 85 (like heat does) it would basically negate armor facing. Anything except for the Maus would have spots which 200 HESH pen could reliably go through frontally. 

Heck, my 183 even now (after the pen nerf) can go through the LOS front of tier 10 heavies with 230 HESH often enough to make it worth loading when I have a clear shot. 

they whould ofc the need to nerf dmg to atleast the same lvl as AP (which in turn would make it somewhat like HEAT)

ps: otherwise you get 183 with like 350mm effective penetration, big fun, big fun...