Kolni_GodofTanks

Kolni's replay review center! [0.9.6]

Hey guys, I now have lots of spare time, and since my time played in WoT has decreased lately due to me getting anger issues, I thought "Hey, why not help others?" and that's where I am now. I've done a few reviews before, but I can with all certainty tell you that I'm not the best reviewer around here but I still feel like helping people out. 

(NA players will only be able to submit once 9.6 is released due to me being on EU, sadly I wasn't aware of this and am afraid the thread might die because of inactivity qq)

n my career (when i started to git gud) I've been focusing on many tanks, I've been mostly doing medium gameplay but I'm also experienced in LT/HT/TD's as well, so I've invested time in all tank types and having success with all of them that I've played recently. 

What you can post to get reviewed:

You can submit anything that you feel that a mistake has been made, it can be one of those carry games, it can be a shitty one, but no yolo potatoing because that's something that no one can learn anything from.  My most played tank is the BatChat so autoloader gameplay is something you might wanna come here for. You can submit arty replays too, however I haven't played artillery above tier 5 so you probably won't get any real answers that'll benefit your artillery gameplay much. 

What kind of replays I prefer: 

A game where you felt unsure of what to do, where your strategical thinking falls short and IMO learning proper decision making is what'll make you a lot more consistent at this game. Adding your own thoughts to where you began to feel unsure and where/why things started going to shit is something you're very welcome to do, I'll take your thoughts in consideration and see if your thoughts are correct and your post game analysis is good and something you should keep doing, or if your thoughts have flaws and needs some working on, however I'm gladly offering to help you out with either.

Miscellaneous: 

• No certain skill level, you can be the baddiest baddie and that probably only means that you'll get more pointers, and I'll probably specify what should be focused on, too much of the good can result in bad things. 
  • You can criticise my criticism all you want, I'll keep an open mind and I will keep what you say in mind and draw a conclusion afterwards.
  • If you post more than two replays at the same time, I'll only do one or two and then move on to the next person before getting back to the others you've posted. (Make this a reasonable amount of replays, no 100-game samples please)
  • All reviews will be done in time stamp form unless they're so short it'll be easy to follow anyway. I'll try to process every thought I get while watching your replay, and I'll post a conclusion on the end of what you should focus on to try and improve.

I think that's about it. Happy posting ^^ 

Hey Kol, as soon you made this thread I went and played a game in my T54e1, here it is

http://wotreplays.com/site/1635737#abbey-joyrider216-t54e1

It was a win, but one that I didn't really influence. I did make several mistakes eg. taking a shot that i knew would miss

At the very end my team kind of...

Disappeared.

Thanks in advance man

Hey Kol, as soon you made this thread I went and played a game in my T54e1, here it is

http://wotreplays.com/site/1635737#abbey-joyrider216-t54e1

It was a win, but one that I didn't really influence. I did make several mistakes eg. taking a shot that i knew would miss

At the very end my team kind of...

Disappeared.

Thanks in advance man

Dear god this is bad...I'm on EU and 9.6 so I can't watch your replay QQ

brb seeing if i can anyway

if you have the possibility of recording it i'll get started on the replay right away, but for now i'm gonna see if i can get a 9.5 version working (playing on a mac so clients might be hard to find)

Hey; I made a thread a few days ago, but no replies have come in yet. I'd appreciate if you could take a look.

Also, while I make ~2200 average damage in my Centurion 7/1 (my sole tier 9 atm; I've got the IS-8 unlocked but unpurchased, and grinding the T-54), I'm basically hovering around 52% winrate in it.

I solo pub almost exclusively- but somehow I feel there's something missing to my play at tier 9.

I can make above 60% winrate at tiers 7 and 8 playing solo, but my carry power seems to be drastically reduced at 9.

I've also uploaded a few other replays that may be more typical of my play in the 7/1. These are basically the last 5 games I played.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1636826#sand_river-absox1-centurion_mk_7_1

http://wotreplays.com/site/1636825#kharkov-absox1-centurion_mk_7_1

http://wotreplays.com/site/1636822#stalingrad-absox1-centurion_mk_7_1

http://wotreplays.com/site/1636821#team

EDIT:
Oh, they're 9.5... if there are issues with that, then, welp, nevermind I guess.

Oh that's sweet!

Joyrider, unfortunately that means you'll have a to post a new replay when it's released but I'll get it done as soon as possibly can ^^

Thats fine by me, not really a problem, I completely forgot about the server version discrepancy 

Would you please take a look at these two Tier V medium tank replays?

http://wotreplays.com/site/1652919#self

In this one, I tried to hold part of the town flank on Fisherman's Bay. I didn't shoot well and I didn't angle well (can one angle sidescrape in the Pz.IVH effectively?). But I tried to keep them distracted and I was trying to be aware of the M4 and then that T-34 that I thought was going to flank me. I didn't do much to affect the outcome of the battle.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1652925#self

Again, I didn't do much to affect the outcome of the battle. I didn't see many people go in the direction I did on this map. My goal was to at least stall advances. It didn't matter much since their center fell. Tactically, I don't know if I needed to shoot APCR at the M6. I also shouldn't have recklessly charged up the hill (where I died).

Strategically and tactically, I don't use the mediums well. My favorite medium has been the Matilda, which plays like it's older brother, the Churchill I, in terms of speed and RoF. I have also done moderately well with the M3 Lee, which plays like a TD, of which I've done decently.

What would you suggest that I think about differently in terms of how I approached medium gameplay in these replays?

Thanks!

AdmiralVictor

Would you please take a look at these two Tier V medium tank replays?

http://wotreplays.com/site/1652919#self

In this one, I tried to hold part of the town flank on Fisherman's Bay. I didn't shoot well and I didn't angle well (can one angle sidescrape in the Pz.IVH effectively?). But I tried to keep them distracted and I was trying to be aware of the M4 and then that T-34 that I thought was going to flank me. I didn't do much to affect the outcome of the battle.

A few things before going into the actual replay:

Your equipment setup:

What do you run else along with camo and binos? Because I'd suggest you only run the camo net at all if you have nothing more useful to mount, or if you're low on credits. Getting some gold during PW change events and such can help to get some gold, and demounting equipment is where the gold is most useful. 10 gold can save you 250k credits and you can actually mount ideal setups without it costing you much at all. 

The ideal setup would honestly be Rammer/Optics(Binocs are fine too, it's T5 so it's really no biggie since T5 is kinda static gameplay anyway)/Vents, Vents will help with the kinda bad gun handling on most T5 guns. 

Crew skills: What are you running? I know you're new to the game by looking at your battle count, and if you're planning to go up the heavy line, I really hope you haven't been training camo, because the heavy tanks next in line really needs to have their repair skills at the fullest as soon as possible. (This is assuming you have a 100% crew), think ahead and train for what is next in line if you aren't planning on keeping it.

On to the replay: You said you were going to hold the town, but your gun is a pew pew DPM shooter, and that means you'll have to keep your gun firing to make it matter, and with that much solid cover and so few shot opportunities, the bay isn't really a good idea. Your initial positioning should've been somewhere else. Preferably in the middle, it's the hardest part of the map to play, since you have to react to everything around you, but you also have firing lanes to almost the entire map and that's what you need to keep your gun hot. You can also use your depression here and outplay whatever tanks coming at you by minimising exposure due to this, and the turret is actually the strongest part of your tank.  The other flank is also a lot better for you tank, not as influential as the middle but a bit easier to play for people who have a harder time to react and make the right decisions.

What you should've noticed is that you weren't selecting your own engagements, tanks literally ran into to you and your gameplay wasn't campy but it wasn't exactly moving either. This is what the middle is good for. 

For a new player, the concept of sidescraping is a good thing, and your aiming is good for someone your skill level. However, sidescraping isn't 45 degrees, with your tank, sidescraping is maybe 10 degrees, which means you'll only show your skirt and bait a shot onto it before going out and firing, otherwise sidescraping in that kind of tank becomes pointless, they'll pen you anyway and you have to move more to get a shot back at them, considering that you were engaged by mediums with the same RoF as you, the time it'll take for you to poke even if you bounce a shell is about the time it takes for them to reload and get another shot off. Don't bother with it in tanks that don't have enough side armour, focus on getting your gun in the game instead. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/1652925#self

Again, I didn't do much to affect the outcome of the battle. I didn't see many people go in the direction I did on this map. My goal was to at least stall advances. It didn't matter much since their center fell. Tactically, I don't know if I needed to shoot APCR at the M6. I also shouldn't have recklessly charged up the hill (where I died).

Again, mostly the same issue here. You went without support, you had a TD who came in late and a camping T20 in the back, and anyone camping in the T20 isn't a competent player and shouldn't be relied on for support. You honestly should've given up the hill as soon as you noticed they had higher tiered scouts that can oneclip you without any real effort. The damage you put in once again was by mistakes of other players and not by shot opportunities you created, the hill as a lone bottom tier is either lost right away or won by gaining the high ground as fast as possible and having the odd chance of them being scared of pushing you. 

Your entire team was on the other side of the map/in base, which means that winning the hill wouldn't have given the enemy any real advantage except for some snipes from the actual hill, this wouldn't have been any real advantage at all because your team was already in solid cover and for the time being the hill would be useless and would probably have been abandoned, resulting in them pushing onto your team, which has the high ground. High ground is almost always an advantage. 

You would've been more useful elsewhere. 

What you should think about in general is what you're actually doing, you can shoot the tanks in front of you but you aren't letting your mediums use their DPM enough for them to actually be a force to be reckoned with. You should think more about why you might do things before you do them, every decision is a decision and while many players play on instinct with success, they usually have way more experience and can make these kind of right calls naturally. You should question your gameplay, why did you die? why did you do low damage? why did our team lose? Could I've done something differently? 

Be aware of your surroundings, use whatever piece of information you've acquired to be at the right spots at the right time, that's where mediums really shine and you need to be able to see and take advantage of these opportunities as they come to make it or break it in medium gameplay. 

Heavies or TD's are probably a better bet right now, direct engagements where a hit or two taken doesn't matter, and the gun relies more on alpha than DPM. To make DPM work you need to stay alive and keep shooting. Or the static gameplay of snipe-ish support that's also very easy, it requires some map knowledge and some insight to where you have to be to get your gun to matter, but mediums rely even more on that and your gameplay shows that you aren't yet ready for that kind of difficulty. 

Let's see if I can't reply in line here...

Your equipment setup:

What do you run else along with camo and binos? Because I'd suggest you only run the camo net at all if you have nothing more useful to mount, or if you're low on credits. Getting some gold during PW change events and such can help to get some gold, and demounting equipment is where the gold is most useful. 10 gold can save you 250k credits and you can actually mount ideal setups without it costing you much at all. 

The ideal setup would honestly be Rammer/Optics(Binocs are fine too, it's T5 so it's really no biggie since T5 is kinda static gameplay anyway)/Vents, Vents will help with the kinda bad gun handling on most T5 guns. 

As of now, I've got rammers on a number of tanks, like my TDs and Churchill. I should add that here since it's only 200k. Would the GLD also work here? I have one on the Matilda which doesn't really need it.

Crew skills: What are you running? I know you're new to the game by looking at your battle count, and if you're planning to go up the heavy line, I really hope you haven't been training camo, because the heavy tanks next in line really needs to have their repair skills at the fullest as soon as possible. (This is assuming you have a 100% crew), think ahead and train for what is next in line if you aren't planning on keeping it.

Heh. This driver has camo but I was training that 'til I got to Sixth Sense. The only other one with a skill at this point is Smooth Ride, I believe. I hadn't thought down this line as much.

What you should think about in general is what you're actually doing, you can shoot the tanks in front of you but you aren't letting your mediums use their DPM enough for them to actually be a force to be reckoned with. You should think more about why you might do things before you do them, every decision is a decision and while many players play on instinct with success, they usually have way more experience and can make these kind of right calls naturally. You should question your gameplay, why did you die? why did you do low damage? why did our team lose? Could I've done something differently? 

Be aware of your surroundings, use whatever piece of information you've acquired to be at the right spots at the right time, that's where mediums really shine and you need to be able to see and take advantage of these opportunities as they come to make it or break it in medium gameplay. 

Heavies or TD's are probably a better bet right now, direct engagements where a hit or two taken doesn't matter, and the gun relies more on alpha than DPM. To make DPM work you need to stay alive and keep shooting. Or the static gameplay of snipe-ish support that's also very easy, it requires some map knowledge and some insight to where you have to be to get your gun to matter, but mediums rely even more on that and your gameplay shows that you aren't yet ready for that kind of difficulty. 

That is the hard part about the game. Thinking two or three decisions ahead. I've been playing on instinct a certain amount and it works sometimes (hence my ~50% WR). I see what you are saying in terms of mediums needing this knowledge even more. I'm able to use this information when I'm playing TDs, especially, to punish the enemy, but it's not the same exploitative types of information processing that mediums need. When playing the M3 Lee this evening it was definitely that static game-play where I reacted instead of dictating the action. I'm not good at dictating with the heavies yet, but I'm trying...

In terms of learning medium gameplay, would you recommend going back down to the M2 Medium or a tier 4 medium like the Pz.III? Otherwise, I will probably continue playing mediums and trying new things... But also playing the TDs and observing the flow of the game. I also ought to find people better than me who would be willing to Platoon.

Thank you for this great write up! It's good data to process. We'll see if it seeps into this thick skull of mine :)

Let's see if I can't reply in line here...

As of now, I've got rammers on a number of tanks, like my TDs and Churchill. I should add that here since it's only 200k. Would the GLD also work here? I have one on the Matilda which doesn't really need it.

A rammer on pewpews is what people don't think matter, but it really does, it's a 10% decrease in reload time, while it may not be much for fast-shooting guns, it's still 10%, you'll start to notice it once you can get your gun to fire constantly, which means every 10th shot you do should be on the house in terms or reload time, but that's only if you can fire constantly. However those milliseconds could be the difference between getting a shot off or not while a tank tries to move into cover, or while the enemy's reloading and you'll be able to get another shot off before backing up into safety. 

Rammers benefit every tank greatly, tanks like the FV 183 or the KV-2 with long reloads might make it more visual to see, but in terms of CQC and flanking, the rammer really matters on every tank.

Heh. This driver has camo but I was training that 'til I got to Sixth Sense. The only other one with a skill at this point is Smooth Ride, I believe. I hadn't thought down this line as much.

if you aren't planning on going up the line anymore this is what I would recommend as a crew setup: 

Commander: Sixth Sense, Repairs, Camo, BiA

Gunner: Snap Shot, Repairs, Camo or any gunnery skill you find useful, BiA

Driver: Smooth Ride, Repairs, Offroad Driving, BiA

Radio Operator: Repairs, Camo, Situational Awareness, BiA

Loader: Repairs, Safe Stowage or Camo for 2/3 skills, BiA

An option (and a very good one) is to retrain the BiA as the third perk, and train the skills later on. Sixth Sense and BiA are the only really good perks IMO, they've got the biggest advantage, the rest of the skills you might need are classed as skills, and won't need to get to 100% to work properly.

If you decide to go through the line after all (it's a good line, so I think you should, even if it'll take a while before you get around to it) this is what I'd recommend:

Commander: Sixth, Repairs, BiA, Recon 

Gunner: Repairs, Snap Shot, BiA, Deadeye

Driver: Repairs, Smooth Ride, BiA, Off Road Driving

Radio Operator: Repairs, Situational Awareness, BiA, Camo/Firefighting because it's literally the only skills you can actually benefit from of the selection left

Loader: Repairs, Safe Stowage, BiA, Adrenaline Rush

That is the hard part about the game. Thinking two or three decisions ahead. I've been playing on instinct a certain amount and it works sometimes (hence my ~50% WR). I see what you are saying in terms of mediums needing this knowledge even more. I'm able to use this information when I'm playing TDs, especially, to punish the enemy, but it's not the same exploitative types of information processing that mediums need. When playing the M3 Lee this evening it was definitely that static game-play where I reacted instead of dictating the action. I'm not good at dictating with the heavies yet, but I'm trying...

In terms of learning medium gameplay, would you recommend going back down to the M2 Medium or a tier 4 medium like the Pz.III? Otherwise, I will probably continue playing mediums and trying new things... But also playing the TDs and observing the flow of the game. I also ought to find people better than me who would be willing to Platoon.

Thank you for this great write up! It's good data to process. We'll see if it seeps into this thick skull of mine :)

This game isn't chess. You can't predict things because honestly the people playing this game are sometimes god awfully retarded, which means you'll have to do the best move you can think of in every situation, it's a chain of events of course, but the actual decisions are usually made when they have to be made, so it's only one move ahead, but you should always be that. Mediums are great because they usually have abusable treats to save yourself from taking damage, which means you exploit the shit out of it until you get either: A) Artied B) Yolorushed C) You won the engagement, T-62A hulldown is a good example, low profile means you can abuse small pieces of your tank to limit exposure and make your hard turret work for you. 

You can't really count the M3 Lee as a medium, it's a wierd TD and quite frankly a really bad tank, doing bad in that tank isn't something you should feel bad about, because almost everyone does. I try to dictate where my heavies will go at the start, just looking at the general direction they're going and enabling advanced minimap features in settings (see which tank is where instead of just tank class, also last spotted enemy location) will get you a better overview of how to proceed, you'll see where they'll either camp or push, should you go with them and force the push or should you go elsewhere?

In terms of real medium gameplay, I'd say it actually starts at tier 5, where the roles of tanks become a little more clear, and at T7 it breaks off to different kinds of mediums as well. 

You have the russian DPM monsters, the german snipers (until E 50 if that med line), the british depression/turret guns with good pen tier4tier, the same with japanese but not quite as good until T9-10, chinese hard turret derp guns and the american turret/depression/dpm/pen combo, all of these have abusable traits which have to be abused to make them work well. I'd suggest you play the lower tier mediums as lights and the middle tier ones as support tanks, because that's about all they are. (unless Cromwell, that's a special thing).

A good thing to do in TD's is to locate some good spots, notice what's happening on the battlefield and how your teammates are reacting to it, usually there's a decent player or two, you should observe them and try to see why they are making these kind of decisions. 

You can also try watching streams, I'd suggest not watching unicumstreams because that would seem like mostly yolo to you, but someone green or recent blue could learn you a thing or two, watch what they do that you don't and what mistakes they avoid by doing that/not doing what you do. It's an easy way of learning because the information feeds itself rather fast. 

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them here.

Hi Kolni!

Thanks again for the good advice a while back! I've been trying my hand at reading maps and I think I've been improving. I've been watching Zeven a certain amount and I've been learning patience from him.

Would you mind looking over a few of these?

I want to compare these two games in the Stug IIIG. It's all about my initial positioning. I do well on Murovanka (http://wotreplays.com/site/1754482#murovanka-admiralvictor-stug_iii_ausf_g) and poorly on (http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/admiralvictor-na-26d66e20088f83c3a8ab3a71f103065f/redshire-germany-stug_iii_ausf__g-29690152567665568). With Murovanka, I get myself into a position where there is spotting on both sides of me and where i know I've got support. I make more mistakes later when chasing people down, like running headlong into that AT-2 or the Marder (where I die from the Panzer III/IV). With Redshire, I set myself up in a place with poor lines of fire (generally) and not much team support. I exposed myself too much and should have run away early to a more defensible position. Is there anything you would have done differently in either of these?

This last one has bugged me for a while. I was in a Churchill I (http://wotreplays.com/site/1688806#sand_river-admiralvictor-churchill_i) on Sand River. Is there anything you would have done differently at the end? One of my flaws was going over sand dunes earlier when the Churchill has  terrible gun depression.

Many thanks :)

@admiralvictor: Not to intrude in Kolnidurs thread, but Redshire is a map I play pretty often in a tier 5 TD. Hope it's ok :)

I looked at the battle simulator and I think you summed it up well "With Redshire, I set myself up in a place with poor lines of fire (generally) and not much team support. I exposed myself too much and should have run away early to a more defensible position."

On Redshire the hill is such a central point, literally, in the early fight. The trees at the F-G line are great cover from being spotted from the North. and you can get free shots on anyone being spotted on their hillside. You get shots on anyone pushing down into the city, which happens in those tiers (generally you will never see this on higher tiers) and you get sideshots on heavies pushing up the 0 line. Without moving much you also have shots towards the 1-2 line. Controlling the hill is, imo, vital to winning Redshire since it will give you access to both flanks. From your position you can't really do anything unless for some reason they push around the hill into the open, which is something I don't think you will see happen very often. You also do not seem to support your T14 very well, who is actually in a position to do dmg, and you both get overrun (I havent seen the repaly, but this is what it looks like from the simulation).