koger915

What defines a good/great/excellent game for a unicum

I had a rare game the other day and it lead me to wonder if this was the normal game for a unicum or if even someone of their stature would give me a pat on the back and say good job, but your never going to do it again. Here is a link to the download on VB. Link to the report if someone doesn't want to watch it.

Thanks for your time and thank you for any and all feedback

In my opinion, a good game is one in which your play was instrumental to your team's victory. It doesn't have to be a high damage one, just one in which the things you did pushed a questionable game into a win.

I would generally classify a game where a player sits in one place and the damage comes to him as "lucky". Here's the map from the replay you posted (your path is in blue):

C6kn1CS.png

Now I know this is apples to oranges because you're driving an ISU and I was driving a Patton, but here's the map from a replay in a recent session that I would classify as good:

njIA9VG.png

The distinction isn't really the movement. That's just sort of indicative of the difference. The difference is that I was making, rather than letting, a win happen. This particular game, I only managed to land 6 damaging shots. But, if you watch the replay, you'll see that those shots had a purpose. I moved to push the enemy off of a flanking maneuver on the 1 line, then did some flanking of my own to cause confusion and break the enemy on the west side of the map.

I've got for a handful of games that I felt were "good". The whole reason I created that thread was not necessarily to boast, but to try to convey the thought process behind winning games. I hope you'll give it a look and find some useful information within.

And finally, just to wrap things up, sometimes sitting still is the winning move. Don't take this reply to mean that you should always be moving around all over the map. Rather, it's a suggestion to practice mindful tanking. Do things deliberately and with purpose and you'll become a unicum yourself!

For me there are three types of good games: Good damage games which is just doing a lot of damage (i.e. farming pubbies in a game that will be won by itself); games where me and my platoon play well together in order to create a win through team work (like Pork has explained excellently) and then finally games where the battle flows back and forth and you don't know who will win until the last tank dies.

The latter often contains a massive firefight with several tanks pushing in, falling back, counter-attacking to take lost ground, flanking and counter-flanking and stuff like that. I find "rofl-stomps" boring so whenever I get a battle like I just described I don't really care if I win or lose, as I simply enjoy the fight for what it is: a good fight. That is also the only time I ever write "gg" in chat, as it, for me, truly was a good game. Sadly those types of games doesn't happen often, maybe once every 50 or 100 games but I enjoy them when they do.

CarbonatedPork- So since I stayed in one general area, in your opinion, it was a lucky match? I'm fine with calling it that, but in that case is there a good match for an ISU on that map?

PS Sometimes it is better to be lucky then good :verysmug:

WaterWar- According to you was I damage farming? I didn't really look at it from that perspective till you mentioned it. I looked at as an attempt to preserve ground. I originally tried countering TDs and scouts, but when I realized that they were not in positions for me to have an effect on I moved to the heavies and coordinated with my E-75 and KV-4 on a sneak attack. I guess it might be damage farming, but with that definition (on that map) wouldn't most TD play be damage farming? That obviously excludes the high armor TDs with alright mobility. 

CarbonatedPork- So since I stayed in one general area, in your opinion, it was a lucky match? I'm fine with calling it that, but in that case is there a good match for an ISU on that map?

PS I'm fine with calling it lucky. Sometimes it is better to be lucky then good :verysmug:

I didn't actually get a chance to watch the replay to know for sure, but generally speaking the most common way to win El Halluf is to win the fight in the NW corner. Sometimes the fight is won on the eastern part of the map, but only if it's nearly completely abandoned by the other team and there's enough tanks pushing that way. Playing the ISU like a brawler in the NW corner of the map in this situation is often the way to go, especially in a tier 8 or 9 game with no artillery. Nobody wants to be hit by that freight train of a punch and you'll be able to take ownership of a firing lane without too much trouble.

Put another way, if you were to go to that same sniper perch over the course of 10 or 20 games, what do you think your average damage and winrate would be? Are these results typical?

I didn't actually get a chance to watch the replay to know for sure, but generally speaking the most common way to win El Halluf is to win the fight in the NW corner. Sometimes the fight is won on the eastern part of the map, but only if it's nearly completely abandoned by the other team and there's enough tanks pushing that way. Playing the ISU like a brawler in the NW corner of the map in this situation is often the way to go, especially in a tier 8 or 9 game with no artillery. Nobody wants to be hit by that freight train of a punch and you'll be able to take ownership of a firing lane without too much trouble.

Put another way, if you were to go to that same sniper perch over the course of 10 or 20 games, what do you think your average damage and winrate would be? Are these results typical?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So without arty and being mid or top tier I should be in NW corner? It makes sense, it just scares me when solo pubbing to be aggressive; I have been burned a lot.

WaterWar- According to you was I damage farming? I didn't really look at it from that perspective till you mentioned it. I looked at as an attempt to preserve ground. I originally tried countering TDs and scouts, but when I realized that they were not in positions for me to have an effect on I moved to the heavies and coordinated with my E-75 and KV-4 on a sneak attack. I guess it might be damage farming, but with that definition (on that map) wouldn't most TD play be damage farming? That obviously excludes the high armor TDs with alright mobility. 

I was talking in general and not about your game. I just thought you had it uploaded for the sake of argument, not for us to discuss how shit/bad/good/awesome your aiming and damage farming skills are. So no, I was not implying you were damage farming whatsover.

I realised that my expectations of what constitutes a good game has risen a lot when I graduated from green to teal.

For me, I think I've played a good game when:

• Most, if not all, the damage I'm doing is useful (whittling down a flank, for example)
  • Providing map presence and deterrence in brawling situations, hence exerting map control 
  • Putting my tank (and wn8) on the line to set up a crucial crossfire to break an enemy turtle-strat (in other words, preventing a campy 15 min draw) 
  • Successfully working with pubbies to turn a doubtful outcome into a win (or at least one where we had at least a chance of winning)

In my opinion, a good game is one in which your play was instrumental to your team's victory. It doesn't have to be a high damage one, just one in which the things you did pushed a questionable game into a win.

I would generally classify a game where a player sits in one place and the damage comes to him as "lucky". Here's the map from the replay you posted (your path is in blue):

This is why I don't like a lot of replays Quickybaby posts, where one guy just sits in one spot and waits for enemies to drive into his gun instead of sharing HP/pushing a flank with his ally. "Monster games" like those encourage baddies to be shitlord base kempers in their TDs especially. 

Getting stupid high xp in a single game is pretty much what I play for, wn8, winrate, consistency and all that shit doesn't really mean that much to me.

I want to get those 3k+ xp games, those are the ones I remember.

So far I've gotten over 3,5k xp on Chaffee twice, one was on a 5x (17k something something) and a 2997 xp loss before there was anything called corageous resistance (4,5k if it had been a win).

My favourite highlight would be getting over 3k xp on my M46 Patton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdnV0cquHY

A good game is a close game in which I did well and either carried or tried to carry.

A bad game is a complete blowout in which I didn't really contribute and either eon by a huge margin or lost by a huge margin.

Excellent game is game with no arty. Good game is game with four arty in Himmelsdorf, just because maybe they get angry and stop playing it.

A game where my skill was challenged and i won or lost because of smart opponents.

This. In every competitive environment I've ever been in a good and interesting loss becomes almost preferable to an easy curb-stomping victory. As far as victories go I like a win where I worked up a sweat and I only came out on top after brining my A-game and working for it.

Winning is good, but feels better when you earned it.

Can I answer even though blue?

A good game is one where the enemy fought skillfully, and I learned something from it.  

A great game is one where the enemy fought skillfully, and I rose to the occasion making it a close fight.

An epic game is like the above, but I was instrumental in the opening, mid-game and endgame, causing a win.

A great game becomes a bad game if I throw it due to stupidity.  Doesn't matter how well I fought prior to the mistake.  

This is why I don't like a lot of replays Quickybaby posts, where one guy just sits in one spot and waits for enemies to drive into his gun instead of sharing HP/pushing a flank with his ally. "Monster games" like those encourage baddies to be shitlord base kempers in their TDs especially. 

Haha yeah. He posts so many of these monster games that are basically a series of successive 1v1's...

For me a good game is any battle in which I play for the win and generally do the right thing. This doesn't necessarily mean dealing massive amounts of damage/kills (though it's certainly more fun when it happens), but simply applying pressure at the right time and place can be enough to cause an entire flank to crumble, even if my own damage doesn't look great. A near-zero damage game can be a good game if I provide vision and deny it to the enemy in a way that my team can exploit it.

A great game is the above, with a high amount of damage thrown in.

An epic game is one in which I single handedly win a tough fight, triumphing over seemingly impossible odds.