sgtshultz

The M103

10 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

from what? should i be playing tanks 24/7 and give my entire salary to SerB so I have enough gold?

Sry man, no offence meant.

I simply stated the fact that stock turret is pain in the ass (even more now, since top one was buffed in HD). If you have enough free exp, do it to prevent a lot of frustration...

P.S. never converted a single gold for free exp.I was frugal with gold up to the point of running standard account most of the time, and paying only for demounting equipment, and crew skills reset (on discount)

Grinded the tanks stock when I had several active grinds. Now i grind a max of one line per account, so it is bearable. For instance, right now i grind T-10, and stock turret is very usable (not as strong as top one, but bounces sub 240 mm penetration the whole day unless overmatch), so I save free exp for upcoming swedes (but I have top gun from ST-I, mounted straight away+rammer+vstab+suspension module)

6 minutes ago, Felicius said:

Sry man, no offence meant.

I simply stated the fact that stock turret is pain in the ass (even more now, since top one was buffed in HD). If you have enough free exp, do it to prevent a lot of frustration...

P.S. never converted a single gold for free exp.I was frugal with gold up to the point of running standard account most of the time, and paying only for demounting equipment, and crew skills reset (on discount)

Grinded the tanks stock when I had several active grinds. Now i grind a max of one line per account, so it is bearable. For instance, right now i grind T-10, and stock turret is very usable (not as strong as top one, but bounces sub 240 mm penetration the whole day unless overmatch), so I save free exp for upcoming swedes (but I have top gun from ST-I, mounted straight away+rammer+vstab+suspension module)

sry was tired

anyways i just got it instead of tracks so that worked out :D

4 minutes ago, nemlengyel said:

sry was tired

anyways i just got it instead of tracks so that worked out :D

No problem...

M103 is one of the rare tanks where tracks are not needed for even the elite configuration. Top engine also gives only negligible performance boost. 6% more ponies, not even a lower chance of fire or module health. 

In light of that, tracks are actually worth researching before top engine, since you gain lower dispersion (and you will snapshot a lot), better traverse (sorely needed with one-dimensional armor), and terrain resist values, so you end up with better mobility, too.

You can angle it against some lower pen (sub 200) guns to help the far side your LFP, but for the most part it's not worth doing. Against high pen guns its never worth angling, as the close side of your UFP will become penetrable. Just focus your movement on limiting exposure, not angling.

Getting tracked+damaged is always a concern for a tank with thin sides like the M103, but IMHO it's not nearly as much of a problem as it might seem. The top half of the M103's front drive wheel is bolted onto a 230mm plate, and the front of it extends over autobounce armor & empty air. Only about a quarter of the M103 (and E5)'s wheel is liable to get you penned. In fact, peeking a bit of your wheel around a corner and baiting a shot into it is a legitimate tactic, something you'd never do in the T32/T29.

45 minutes ago, nemlengyel said:

Just to clarify: you don't angle this thing, right? (armor seems to work like a pike tank)

Trying to angle is apparently a recipe for track+damage

33 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

You can angle it against some lower pen (sub 200) guns to help the far side your LFP, but for the most part it's not worth doing. Against high pen guns its never worth angling, as the close side of your UFP will become penetrable. Just focus your movement on limiting exposure, not angling.

Getting tracked+damaged is always a concern for a tank with thin sides like the M103, but IMHO it's not nearly as much of a problem as it might seem. The top half of the M103's front drive wheel is bolted onto a 230mm plate, and the front of it extends over autobounce armor & empty air. Only about a quarter of the M103 (and E5)'s wheel is liable to get you penned. In fact, peeking a bit of your wheel around a corner and baiting a shot into it is a legitimate tactic, something you'd never do in the T32/T29.

(over)angling can help to get shot at without taking ammo rack dmg (if you are out of repair kits, but have plenty of hp left). Of course, do that only against enemies you know WILL pen you always, like tier X meds.

I'm actually having fun in the m103, especially now that I have the E5 gun. Bonus points for super sexy HD model. Also, stronk reload and lolRNG armor helps troll the fuck out of tier 8s and 7s

Had this tank for a day now. Free xp'ed the second gun and turret. Upgraded tracks this arvo. They make a big difference.

But seriously: what a piece of shit.

Having to hide from/behind Tier 7/8 HTs because every fucker can easily pen your turret from any angle. Hull down? Who cares. Snapshots will pour through your giant, up-angled, lid from all and sundry.

This tank is a fat and slow Bubba MT. The only resemblance it bears to a heavy is its size. Hopefully the top gun will allow me to spray less shots while I cower a couple of hundred metres behind the real HTs.

Playing this tank right now to get to the E5. Gun is great, mobility is sufficient to get you places. Then you get to the turret, which is pretty much the worst out of all the tier 9 heavies. Cheeks are not that strong, especially if you turn just a little bit. Turret ring is weak. Little strip just above the gun is an easy pen. Turret roof is overmatch for 120mm+ guns. And of course the big commander hatch. At times the M103 is a really great, comfortable tank to play, but the turret lets you down far too often.

On 12/22/2016 at 7:34 AM, bandana0x said:

Gun is great, mobility is sufficient to get you places. 

The lack of mobility is the final nail in the coffin of this tank for me. It struggles to get up to 33kph on the flat. Plus shitty reverse speed. A slight speed buff and I'd quite like it I think.

Still, no longer minding the grind. Prefer to be mid tier and act as a support tank than top. I can only bully obviously inexperienced players with this tank (don't run XVM, but it's easy to tell how experienced they are by how often they pen your giant weak spots). 50k xp get me the E5...  

On 10/26/2016 at 9:23 PM, Rexxie said:

I think an M103 with the T32's turret would be as good, if not better than the E5 :cute:

That would be overpowered in all-caps.

On 10/28/2016 at 7:34 PM, Nkrlz said:

The chasis is great, the second 120mm is great, but the rng armor is making me go insane. Give me consitency, i can and have bounced 3 shots in a row from a JPZ E100, and the got penned by a fucking 13-75 from the front 5 times. It's really frustrating, i either do ~4k dmg or crash and burn after 3 shots because every red and their mother lol penned me without even aiming ._.

I think it was @CraBeatOff that said "wiggle wiggle wiggle WASDASAWADSWASD."

I finally got the second gun on this, but for some odd reason I seem to be doing worse than when I had the 1st 120mm :doge:

The gun is great, but the chassis is troll as fuck to the driver and the one shooting. Bounce E-100s e-z and then get penned by tier 7 scout tanks and overmatching 122s :P

Just sold it to fund the purchase of an E5. Only taken it for one spin. SO. MUCH. ARMOUR. Gotta unlearn cowering behind other teammates again.

Final note on the M103: haven't driven a huge range of tanks but this one gets arty focused more than any I have. Having all 2-3 arty focus on you when they could take their pick of your team's IX-X HTs happened way too often. Clearly it's as easy a feed for the clickers as it is everyone else. 

15 hours ago, sohojacques said:

this one gets arty focused more than any I have. Having all 2-3 arty focus on you when they could take their pick of your team's IX-X HTs happened way too often. Clearly it's as easy a feed for the clickers as it is everyone else. 

Conq says hi.

Plan to progress this line and buy M103 but with this mixed opinions about it

I consider just free xp past it. Money is not a problem.

A bit tired of throwing money to WG though.

Is M103 worth playing?

1 hour ago, SIRJ4MES said:

Plan to progress this line and buy M103 but with this mixed opinions about it

I consider just free xp past it. Money is not a problem.

A bit tired of throwing money to WG though.

Is M103 worth playing?

It's easy to play. Not fun, but easy.

1 hour ago, ZXrage said:

It's easy to play. Not fun, but easy.

^This. Free xp'ing the top gun and turret would make life a lot easier. Definitely get the second lot of tracks before upgrading the engine. Tracks improve ground resistance, turning, and gun handling while turning. Engine upgrade didn't really seem to do shit. 

Bought M103 today. Playing with stock turret and first 120 mm right now. 14 battles so far.

First impressions:

I like it. But a bit too slow.  Totally workable with some HEAT shells. Dont let enemy aim and block a lot of damage. Fast reload feelsgoodman

Will not give WG more money for now so I am grinding out crew /modules one by one.

Must be one of the best stock grinds :)