sgtshultz

The M103

Goddammit, I am not gonna stand for any badmouthing of the M103.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2009719#siegfried_line-florbfnarb-m103

Post-battle:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ace match, High Caliber, Spotter, and would have been a Steel Wall match and likely a Top Gun as well...but my POS computer lagged and got me killed by the damn Tortoise by a fraction of a second.

:facepalm:

So yeah, no knocking the M103.  The thing rocks.

Once 9.9 hits and the Conq's turret gets buffed, the 103 won't even have that very slim margin to say its got something up on the Conq. I just don't see any point to the 103 other than being a punching bag. If I wanted to play something with a bigass turret and no armour, I'd play a 50 120.

The one good thing about this tank was the fucking gun, and even then the only good thing about it is the goddamn penetration. The accuracy is mediocre, the snapshotting capability is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. The number of times I've autoaimed at a tier 8 and then shot after half-aiming only for it to just go haywire is frustrating. 

If you're going to make everything else about this tank mediocre/trash, at least don't make the gun this fucking unreliable. Like I'm less frustrated by the goddamn IS-3's BL-9 than this piece of garbage. 

And yeah, this thing has no niche with the Conqueror in the game. Conqueror has a not-even comparably better gun. It's so fucking stupid. Highly recommend to just skip this. It's just a fucking discount Conqueror that isn't worth anyone's time.

I don't even get what the deal is, I feel reasonably confidant playing the M103 and every one hates it, yet every time I touch the T110E5 this game trolls the shit out me and every one says it's fantastic. They're practically the same friggin tank but for me one is all but immune to the tank gods' wrath and the other gets snapshotted in the cupola at 400m all day erry day.

Yup, once buffed Conq comes out, there will be no more reason to play the 103 (since its only advantage is having a slightly stronger frontal armour profile). Hell, I might even resume my Brit heavy grind since the Conq has become even more desirable.

Powercreeped much. 

I've got ~30k to go to the E5, and while I certainly don't hate the M103, I'll be glad to be done with it.

Biggest thing I dislike is the large forehead over the mantlet+ huge over matchable turret roof.

All of which is fixed by moving constantly.

I don't even get what the deal is, I feel reasonably confidant playing the M103 and every one hates it, yet every time I touch the T110E5 this game trolls the shit out me and every one says it's fantastic. They're practically the same friggin tank but for me one is all but immune to the tank gods' wrath and the other gets snapshotted in the cupola at 400m all day erry day.

Yup... I stopped playing my E5... 0 fun because too scrub player. 

All of which is fixed by moving constantly.

The M103 cant move fast enough to throw off the aim of anyone who doesnt have glacial reaction times.

The HD armor layout has no strong points and is completely worthless against t9 guns. The UFP gets penned by 250, turret cheeks get penned by 220, the LFP gets penned by everything, area above mantlet gets penned by everything, side armor is shit, etc. The only bounces you're likely to get are the RNG kind (and maybe some t8 prefs who are too stupid to shoot gold).

The gun being decent doesnt make the platform any less shit.

How you play this fat softie?

I tried to do heavy things with it and it falls flat on it's face. Been having a bit more success by pretending it's a fat medium, but it's hard work as t9-10 meds tear it up quite easily. Hull down is not safe. Corner pop-out game is not safe. Sidescrape is not safe. Arty is not safe. Seems the only thing it does well is bully the crap out of lower tiers...

How you play this fat softie?

I tried to do heavy things with it and it falls flat on it's face. Been having a bit more success by pretending it's a fat medium, but it's hard work as t9-10 meds tear it up quite easily. Hull down is not safe. Corner pop-out game is not safe. Sidescrape is not safe. Arty is not safe. Seems the only thing it does well is bully the crap out of lower tiers...

Same here. I dont have T10 gun, but still it's meh tank. Gun is ok, i love HEAT pen, but overall speed and armor is meh. Still I got better feeling when i drive M103 than E75. I developed special hate for stupid E series.

Arty loves him, and i hate arty. In few games, without elite configuration wn8 is pretty low ~1500, and WR is sub 40% but i'll get it eventually. 

The way I see it, the M103 is now just a bad Conq. The only thing the M103 really had over the Conq was armour, which has entirely disappeared with the recent Conq turret buff. Can someone convince me otherwise?

The way I see it, the M103 is now just a bad Conq. The only thing the M103 really had over the Conq was armour, which has entirely disappeared with the recent Conq turret buff. Can someone convince me otherwise?

I played the M103 before the Conq buff and liked it as it could somewhat bully lower tiers with its better frontal armour. Objectively speaking now, there is no more reason to play the 103 since the Conq buff makes half the armour irrelevant. If enemies have time to aim at the hulls of the Conq and 103, it's not like the latter has an advantage over the former anyway. 

With its superior gun and very good turret, the Conq just does better at minimising exposure and snapping off those shots that the 103 could only dream of doing now. 

I have not enjoyed the 103, so much so that tomorrow night I'll probably convert enough gold to XP to be done with it.  It can bully lower tiers decently, but all good players can pretty easily autopen it with every shot.  44 mm of side armor on a tier 9 heavy tank . . .   It just seemed like a huge let down after the T29 and T32.

STI = better

E75 = better

Conq = better

50-120 = better

murica?

I have not enjoyed the 103, so much so that tomorrow night I'll probably convert enough gold to XP to be done with it.  It can bully lower tiers decently, but all good players can pretty easily autopen it with every shot.  44 mm of side armor on a tier 9 heavy tank . . .   It just seemed like a huge let down after the T29 and T32.

STI = better

E75 = better

Conq = better

50-120 = better

murica?

How is the side armor a factor?  Every single American heavy in the game has trash side armor - does that mean they all suck?

EDIT: Well, the T1 HT's side armor is okay against some lower tier stuff.  The rest of them all have weak side hull armor for their tier.

When a tier 8 med has better armour than a tier 9 heavy, that's sad.

When a tier 8 med has better armour than a tier 9 heavy, that's sad.

Jumbo, Tier 6 med, has better armor than every Tier 7 heavy except one.  ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure the SP has better armor than every Tier 9 heavy except the E 75 and ST-I.

Jumbo, Tier 6 med, has better armor than every Tier 7 heavy except one.  ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure the SP has better armor than every Tier 9 heavy except the E 75 and ST-I.

VKB and Conq have better armour too.

I don't really see the M103's armor as bad. It does have distinctive strengths and weaknesses that you have to take into account, but it's fairly strong even if not reliable. The upper plate is crazy tough, the lip is decent, the lower has to be hidden but at least lazy shots at awkward angles will still troll people at times. The turret is strong overall, the zone of weakness on top is hard to hit if staying mobile or at range. You also need at least 120mm to overmatch the roof. Staying mobile is pretty easy to do with the pen and gun handling, the best is when hull down or only exposing your upper plate. You can take fast shots and be on the move before accurate fire comes back. Most enemies don't know your weak spots, but will eventually go for cupola after a few initial bad shots.

Problem one people tend to have is not keeping the engagement 1v1. If you turn your turret much left or right you'll get penned like crazy because it relies on angles instead of thickness. You want to find zones where flanking isn't going to happen and you have to be very aware of all angles of attack.

The second issue is the side armor, people don't realize what it does well. The 44mm is a bit misleading, the side is all egg shaped which produces auto bounces at a wide arc against frontal attack when angled and much of it is thicker.

M103%20Armor_zpsd2olwh0d.png

About half is 60mm, the other half is 44mm, and 2/3s of it is auto bounce from a much wider arc than you'd think due to slope. So basically against anything that isn't a huge caliber you'll bounce 2/3 in the side or better, and high calibers will still troll maybe 1/3. The front sprocket may seem like a weak spot when angling, but the red bar and the zone around it will troll the crap out of shots due to weird angles. Even if your opponent knows the config you can't see where to shoot due to suspension.

Basically the side armor is like the front to an extent: can troll people a lot, but can't be relied upon the way a big thick slab like the E-75 might be. It actually works well for sidescraping tricks because you can actually have an angle shallow enough people will take the bait, especially since every one knows the side armor is thin. Wiggling around can get them to duff a shot into the auto bounce side too, like many tanks with thicker side armor. It's not 100% reliable and it's a bad idea against big calibers, but you can screw with many enemy meds and heavies you encounter.

Move, wiggle, angle just the right amount, hull down where possible. Bully the shit out of lower tiers since they can't overmatch on you anywhere, wiggle/sidescrape/out gun handling equally armed enemies, don't engage giant ass guns head on unless all else fails. Arty on the other hand, that just fucks you in this thing.

Oh yeah, forgot about the VKB.  What's the conqueror's UFP effective though?

Not great, but not useless like a 120. The Conq's strong point is the turret now though, which gives it a distinct advantage over the swiss cheese turret 103.