Nalyk

WoT vs WoWP

Loaded up WoT last night with a buddy and I remembered why I liked WoWP more....(by all means begin flaming now)  But you know what; at least in WoWP I don't have to deal with fucking arty.  GA sucks.  But at least they can (and the good ones do...sometimes...) attempt to contribute by going after air targets.  

Ha!  Bet you guys didn't see that coming!  A thread birching about arty in the plane forums!  Trololol!

Naw m8 I fly a pl8 'n bait str8 m8.

who Thot bots gud enuf 4 tonks

drones blown

turret weaving

always deceiving

id rather be flown

Stop telling lies.  Its fine.  Not great, but fine.  We just need more players, and this sort of uninformed comment doesn't help.

It's a dead game.

Server numbers for the NA say its pretty much a dead game for NA. It's so bad that supposedly hired a completely new team to turn it around.... http://ftr.wot-news.com/2015/02/26/the-insider-wg-eu-and-warpack-superpershing-nerf/

Not to mention this.... http://ftr.wot-news.com/2015/02/27/how-wargaming-sabotages-competition-war-thunder/#more-22479

Stop telling lies.  Its fine.  Not great, but fine.  We just need more players, and this sort of uninformed comment doesn't help.

I'd like one person (doesn't have to be you) to explain/argue how WoWP is fine.

It's a dead game.

Server numbers for the NA say its pretty much a dead game for NA. It's so bad that supposedly hired a completely new team to turn it around.... http://ftr.wot-news.com/2015/02/26/the-insider-wg-eu-and-warpack-superpershing-nerf/

Not to mention this.... http://ftr.wot-news.com/2015/02/27/how-wargaming-sabotages-competition-war-thunder/#more-22479

Muckraking clickbait.  SS is even more biased against this game than Shwedor and is just feeding his WoWP-hating audience what it wants to see in order to drive his pageviews up.  

Both WGNA and WGEU have already denied the report of SS's anonymous source claim about the "new team."

And the guerilla marketing/smear thing was sourced from a disgruntled former employee and even if true... it's not even shocking.  That stuff happens sort of all the time in the industry.  It should be pretty obvious to anyone who's ever looked up this game on the official forum, reddit, YouTube, or even WoTLabs that Gaijin had its own guerrilla smear campaign underway.  It's not like legions of low- or no-battle, low post count haters just kept spawning spontaneously.

I'd like one person (doesn't have to be you) to explain/argue how WoWP is fine.

The gameplay experience still leaves a lot to be desired, but the actual game itself really isn't half bad these days.  I'd say 2/3 of its current problems result from the chronically low population, which of course resulted from all WG's various failures and missteps leading up to this point.

They're behind a chicken/egg problem now and it's probably not going to get better soon since they admitted they're not really promoting the game any more.  But even still, saying that the game itself is fine isn't a completely stupid statement.  If there were actually people to play against...

The gameplay experience still leaves a lot to be desired, but the actual game itself really isn't half bad these days.  I'd say 2/3 of its current problems result from the chronically low population, which of course resulted from all WG's various failures and missteps leading up to this point.

They're behind a chicken/egg problem now and it's probably not going to get better soon since they admitted they're not really promoting the game any more.  But even still, saying that the game itself is fine isn't a completely stupid statement.  If there were actually people to play against...

That still doesn't explain how the game is fine, just that the population is low because because of problems.

That still doesn't explain how the game is fine, just that the population is low because because of problems.

I guess I'm saying that past problems have contributed more to the current state of the game than current problems, or at least the population which is the biggest issue.  If they had rolled 1.7 out in a more timely fashion instead of letting the already small player base wither for 6 mos. under the double-barreled debacles of 1.5 and 1.6, the game would be much closer to "fine."  When you can get 10+ on a side now and then, the game is pretty fun.

I'll admit too that "fine" might be a generous depiction when important stuff (endgame content, game modes, iconic aircraft like P-47 and Hurricane, most of the Japanese tree etc.) is still missing.  But I think the actual 1.7 game client itself is much less problematic than its reputation or the current gameplay experience suggests.  Had 1.7 been released at Launch + 6 mos. instead of Launch + 15 mos...

In other news, finally something from FTR about this game that's not total garbage:

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2015/02/28/insider-on-wargaming-meeting-general-info-wowp-future/

World of Warplanes

There was apparently a long discussion about why World of Warplanes failed (yes, it is considered a failure). The points that were mentioned and on which the developers generally agreed:

- Bigworld engine physics are correct for the game – however, the excecution of the project was bad, very bad, because “it’s not as appealling or fun”
- lack of proper tech trees, planes varieties, problems with joystick support, driving planes on keyboard isn’t that great, and sluggish battle mechanics are considered the culprit of WoWp’s failure against Warthunder dynamic gameplay, but that’s ONLY concerning aerial warfare
- the main problem they mentioned was: “In WoT gameplay, you can pretty much go and at least deal some damage, make yourself be known, fight and earn your kills and skills. In WoWp, its all RNG, your ping dictates if a shower of bullets hits or not. Your plane, you aren’t really feeling the controls. One feature we wanted was a complete cockpit view, never happened properly, you can spend dozens of battles without scoring a single kill despite actually doing your best to try, the sense of individuality is lost and the name just becomes “one more” of the crowd”
- the companion AI autoaim is a mess, 80% of the time you are on a bomber, you’ll miss the target
- objectives were not proper or clear enough, with so much data filling the minimap, some players found themselves alienated and only spent time hitting boats or bases and not doing aerial combat
- graphical problems and pixelated areas despite good graphic cards didn’t help either
- “The fact that WT uses the client to perform some of the calculations while WOWp is all server based is a bit influential as well, however – it’s impossible for WoWp to ever use that system, as it’s quite easy to make cheats for it”
- increasing the amount of data transferred would only clog servers and cause lag, disappearing planes are not fun
- consumables are considered okay, P2W factor was not of concern and it’s considered balanced
- the staff believes that the main success of WT aerial warfare is because you not only fight against planes, but against player controlled AA tank guns and other tanks down below: “you can take your ire against an unsuspecting player on the ground and blow him to smithereens – and likewise, be pounded from AA player guns and blow up, and that is fun”. However, tank warfare is definitely worse than WoT and the P2W element is strongest there.

About the future of WoWp development with following features considered/approved:

- the game will still go on, however it will be completely salvaged and reworked
- proper 3D cockpits will be introduced
- maps might become a bit smaller and with fewer objectives (WoWs style)
- bomber overhaul and the introduction of more planes (an idea surged here from allowing a platoon of players to fly a bomber on different positions, for example one guy is the pilot, the other a bomber and the third a gunner)
- more control of your plane (ability to turn off multiple engines on/off or using your airspeed to extinguish fires (engine on fire, no extinguisher, take a dive and turn off the engine, pray for success)
- graphics correction, no more “cloud plasters” and “blue trees”
- climbing altitude no longer a “damnable task”
- more turbine-based planes in all the branching trees or move them a tier or so
- rockets, because “rockets”
- take off from a carrier as the battle starts (interesting eye candy)
- better plane handling
- at one point, the developers even discussed merging WoWp with WoWs – not wot because of the maps mechanics and stuff, but WoWs can actually pull it off (unlike WoT). It would be a huuuuuuge undertaking, so it’s just an idea.
- WG requires player feedback on how to improve WoWp as well, polls will come out, so if players start filling the suggestion box, especially on the NA/EU cluster that plays, WG will listen

I'll admit too that "fine" might be a generous depiction

Not trying to pick on you (or anyone) but that is my point. The game is playable and good enough for play4fun, but is totally inadequate for competitive play.

Had 1.7 been released at Launch + 6 mos. instead of Launch + 15 mos...

Still too late in my opinion; only 1 broken game mode plus clans-in-name-only after 6 months of release is still basically a Beta test...

Eh. I wouldn't exactly say it's "dead".

Merely limping really really badly.  And in need of support.  *Looks to community* 

Not trying to pick on you (or anyone) but that is my point. The game is playable and good enough for play4fun, but is totally inadequate for competitive play.

Still too late in my opinion; only 1 broken game mode plus clans-in-name-only after 6 months of release is still basically a Beta test...

Eh. I wouldn't exactly say it's "dead".

Merely limping really really badly.  And in need of support.  *Looks to community* 

Yeah, I guess that's my point.  It's at least closer to "fine" than it is to "dead" even if the progression is maddeningly slow.  I wouldn't disagree either that it's still basically a beta-quality product that they're just charging full price for either now at this point.

But when it's going good, it's fun...

In other news, more news from FTR.  For someone who recently said he's not going to do any more reporting on WoWP, he's doing a lot of reporting on WoWP:

Just a few tidbits about World of Warplanes too:

- WoWp will have its own enhanced CW mode
- MM in WoWp is “frozen” due to very low playerbase, with the last patch bringing more issues than ever. The numbers are very low (some hours there’s only 500 people playing on NA specifically).
- Persha studio is still in charge of the project, but it will have an entirely different approach, staff changes, etc. despite what Gunlion claims. If that doesn’t work, WG will change the studio completely this time and reassign people from other offices. Gunlion (whoever that is, some WoWp CM?) is not happy about these leaks either
- a different damage model will be introduced (still hitpoint based and with component durability) – however, the bullet mechanics will be reviewed
- maximum altitude and climb rate changes, changes to the login system (there’s a bug making players unable to connect sometimes) and other smaller ones

This might be more heartening, but frankly it's more than a little overdue.  Actions speak louder than words too, and who knows how long it might be before any of this is seen in the live product.

Sadly, those are the same promised changes we've been hearing for over a year. All we got was clan tags. And cannon nerfs. And the same high-alt planes that dominate the "meta"...

Cannons are more usable than they were when they got hammered down nowadays. Definitely not like the ones I saw in my older replays from open beta, though.

Eh.  Jingles seems like a good bloke, but I've never been a huge fan of his content or his opinions to be perfectly honest.  I've always wished he would get on with it and make his point already. Everything just drags out endlessly. I'm reasonably sure that's just me being an arsehole, but meh.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the EU and RU servers are as desolate as the NA server.

If they're more full...ish and people are playing the game then I'm not entirely sure how the launch in EU and RU can be construed as a failure.   

Did they make some serious mistakes?  Absolutely.  I feel the real question here is whether or not they can learn from them and summarily recover from them... 

Wait, people can't hit the broadside of a barn in WoWP because of RNG? It has nothing at all to do with the reticule issues? Or the idiocy of the playerbase regarding how a lead indicator works? Or slamming into the ground when trying to shoot immobile ground targets?

19:10

Jingles.png

Grand total of 3 battles played in over a year since launch.  More just feeding his audience of WoWP-hating WoT players what they want to hear without any actual experience.

Wait, people can't hit the broadside of a barn in WoWP because of RNG? It has nothing at all to do with the reticule issues? Or the idiocy of the playerbase regarding how a lead indicator works? Or slamming into the ground when trying to shoot immobile ground targets?

I wish I could believe something was lost in summarization and/or translation.  It's tragic and frustrating that they could be THAT out of touch.

Well, that one RU dev did state that she was constantly surprised at how bad the average player was, so at least one person recognizes it... but clearly not enough.

So, I see some haven't played WoWP enough to see what actual "RNG" in WoWP is.......Jingles as much as I dislike his opinion on WoWP and some WT aspects, did make some valid points; however, he clearly doesn't know the game mechanics. (I could say the same after his WoWS Weekend Beta video) Also, time to throw a party since FTR is dead.

Well, that one RU dev did state that she was constantly surprised at how bad the average player was, so at least one person recognizes it... but clearly not enough.

Surprised?