prolix

How I Graduated From a Greenie

Greetings from the exotic SEA server, where English seems to be an elusive language in every battle.

I haven't posted here much but I would like to offer my humble opinion on some tactics that helped me transcend light green into teal. Now, I know this isn't new info and my play is a work in progress, seeing that purple is still out of my reach. But hopefully, this post can help those who are still struggling to break the dark green ceiling. 

Scrubby play: 
Ridge fighting in a Centurion 7/1. Poke, aim for 5s to hit exact weak spot, then fire and miss anyway. Take damage from enemies and curse RNG while retreating. 

Right play:
Poke, get 70% of the reticle focused on the enemy and squeeze off the shot. Exposure: 3s max. Rinse and repeat. 

Explanation:
A snapshot that misses but minimises exposure is generally better than a fully aimed shot that hits but causes your tank to take damage. This is more true in the early game stage. I picked this up from Foch's stream. 

---

Scrubby play:
I'm top tier in my IS-6 on Himmelsdorf. I trundle down to the 8 line and see another lone IS-6 challenging me. I get myself stuck in and spend half the game brawling with him. 

Right play:
I decide to relocate and push the 3 line instead. While one or two allies hold the bottleneck at the 8 line, I lead the charge over at the 3 line against weaker opposition and crush that flank way faster. 

Explanation:
If you're fighting a fair fight, you're doing it wrong. Winning engagements is all about creating and leveraging your advantage against your opponents. In a brawler like the IS-6, why fight tier 8 heavies when you can stomp multiple tier 6 and 7s instead? 

Exception: 
Stalemates are usually a bad idea, unless it means you're a Maus holding the 8 line against 3 opposing tanks. Most of the time, your tank would be more useful if you relocate and help pressure another flank. However if you can trade one tank to hold up 3 others, pray that your pubbies on the other flank will recognise the overmatch in forces they have and push their advantage. Often, your wn8 will take a hit if you play like this but your win rate will reflect that you're doing something right. 

---

Scrubby play:
City brawl. 2 heavies versus 1 in my favour. My ally abandons cover to engage and gets within one shot range of dying. I continue sidescraping and presenting an extremely tough shot for the outnumbered enemy heavy so he chooses to shoot my ally only. 

Right play:
Leave cover and get in the enemy's face. Now he has a viable choice of two targets and that will hopefully confuse and make him hesitate. In the event your teammate becomes a one shot, you can step in and shield him to keep an allied gun in the game. Often, a desperate enemy will hold his shot in the hope of at least taking one of your allies down before dying. 

Explanation:
Aww, is someone too afraid of scratching the paint of his prized tank? Screw that! Health pool is a resource and forcing an enemy to not focus fire will keep more guns in play for your team. Even the best player in the world can only point his turret one way. You'll be surprised how far that extra health you saved your ally will take you in clutch end game scenarios. 

Exception:
If your braindead ally spams the follow me command and overextends into a crossfire (or an open area where many tanks have yet to be spotted), don't charge with him. Should your tomato choose to suicide that way, at least exploit his spotting to put some hurt on the enemy at range. Ultimately it's a judgement call and situations will vary. 

---

Scrubby play:
Team lemmings into the Lakeville city and you in your Comet have successfully conducted and aided the push, hence crushing the flank. There are 3 enemy artillery and a Waffle camping in their base and they would be easy kills, with the huge mass of allies swarming them. You notice two top tier enemy tanks last spotted making their way across the valley and into your base. Your base has 3 friendly arties along with one camping TD too. "Oh, they should be able to hold." Let's try to get the free damage at the enemy base instead.

Right play:
FLEX, FLEX, FLEX! You're in a fast medium and there's no excuse for you to not go back and defend. Cap reset and buying your team a few extra seconds often mean the difference between a win and a loss.

Explanation:
You don't want to be winning 9-3 and letting your overconfident allies throw away the victory in an attempt to farm damage. Ask yourself, how many games have you lost because you thought something should happen a certain way? The average pubbie has trouble pointing and clicking. You are not the average pubbie. 

---

TL;DR 

1. Minimise the enemy's window of opportunity to hit you while trying to maximise your chance of damaging him.

2. Never fight fair. Create opportunities and leverage your advantage. 

3. Health is a resource. Conserving it is important but at times, sharing is caring too. 

4. If the outcome is ever in doubt, flex and defend your base to meet the credible threat. 

In a brawler like the IS-6, why fight tier 8 heavies when you can stomp multiple tier 6 and 7s instead? 

To stop them from chewing up your low tiers for breakfast? If you encounter tier 8 heavies, use your superior angling/aiming skills and a bit of APCR if necessary to make an advantage, leaving that IS-6 to whatever he is doing means you are relying on your team to not potato while you go take out low tiers (which are also a much lower threat than a top tier IS-6), which can easily result in that flank losing. However, if you're in a disadvantageous position with little benefit by all means go do something else (such as attempting to find a different opportunity to kill stuff).

To stop them from chewing up your low tiers for breakfast? If you encounter tier 8 heavies, use your superior angling/aiming skills and a bit of APCR if necessary to make an advantage, leaving that IS-6 to whatever he is doing means you are relying on your team to not potato while you go take out low tiers (which are also a much lower threat than a top tier IS-6), which can easily result in that flank losing. However, if you're in a disadvantageous position with little benefit by all means go do something else (such as attempting to find a different opportunity to kill stuff).

Fair point. The situation I'm referring to is more for dealing with stalemates, when either side turtles and playing aggressively would entail a lot of unnecessary HP trades (even if I'm absolutely confident that I will outbrawl the guy). A bottleneck will ultimately still prevent a top tier tank from absolutely bullying so long you have 2 or 3 allies who choose to hold him up.

I find that relocating and clearing another flank (with easier opposition) is a more reliable strategy when dealing with players that choose to lock down a bottleneck for the majority of their game.

Ultimately, it's situational and decision making separates a good player from a great player.

How I graduated from Green:

1. Play fun tanks I like.

It kind of happened without me even realizing it. I was like "screw grinding, screw stats, I'm playing for fun" and then suddenly I was playing at blue.  8)

I kinda disagree with the third one. The times when sharing damage with a teammate is worthwhile are so few and far between its not even worth mentioning. 

I think its best to play as if you are the best player on the team, and that everyone exists to serve you... you don't stick your neck out for anyone. If your teammate isn't smart enough to stay alive, he isn't worth trying to save. 

There are so many games where I realize that If I had been alive for one or two more shots, we would have won. Those are frustrating because usually I did something "For the good of the team" and the team let me down.

Thus I have arrived at a maxim:

"Sacrificing your tank for the good of the team, is not actually good for the team." 

Good post and good tips.

Question the EU folks may be able to shed a little more light on ...

Snapshotting. How did the accuracy changes affect doing this? Has it become somewhat less reliable, or is it really not that big of a difference despite the nerf?

I kinda disagree with the third one. The times when sharing damage with a teammate is worthwhile are so few and far between its not even worth mentioning. 

I think its best to play as if you are the best player on the team, and that everyone exists to serve you... you don't stick your neck out for anyone. If your teammate isn't smart enough to stay alive, he isn't worth trying to save. 

There are so many games where I realize that If I had been alive for one or two more shots, we would have won. Those are frustrating because usually I did something "For the good of the team" and the team let me down.

Thus I have arrived at a maxim:

"Sacrificing your tank for the good of the team, is not actually good for the team." 

Agreed. It's a huge risk to take and ultimately, I would consider whether it's even worth taking a hit for the guy in question. That's what XVM is for. 

For example, if a good player tries to clip someone in his T57 Heavy but low rolls to the max (absolutely screwed by RNG), it would be a good decision for you to cover him and share HP while he reloads if he becomes a one-shot. 

Most of the time, your HP is more valuable than all but the best players' anyway. 

There was one time I was in a T57 heavy and a "red" amx 13 90 saw that an obj 140 had me perma tracked and he drove in front of me and sacrificed himself to saved me. I was then able to put out another clip before i died. That was a smart and selfless play by him, ive only seen anything else like that a few times in 13000 games.

In general though, its better for your wn8 to let your teammate die so you can get more dammage in before you die.

Then again, if they stay alive you are far less likely to get rushed so I would try to do anything to help them stay alive short of sacrificing my own tank. Ie. Appear threatening, tell them to fall back, etc..