dirtd0g

(Re)Building and Maintaining a Clan

I figured a thread dedicated to sharing our collective knowledge and experience on this subject would benefit the entire community.

I’ll begin with a few paragraphs on what I know of the subject.

A little background…

I am what you may call a “late bloomer”. My first 12k games this account was used by the entire household, I had no idea that statistics were tracked or analyzed, and I wondered what the words and acronyms after peoples’ names were. After I found out that there were clans in the game, I figured that the coolest-sounding ones were the best. Who the hell is [OTTER]? What a stupid animal to name a clan after… What is up with [-G-]? Like, homeboy shit? They must be horrible… Oh, [REBEL]! That’s a cool name! They must be great.

I joined my first clan, [bSOA], after getting an invite when I discovered Tank Companies. I decided I liked the aspect of coordinated team-play. Once joining I discovered XVM and realized I was terrible. And, as terrible as I was, I was amongst the best in the clan. After my first Clan Wars battle where our full team of Tier-Xs was beaten by 11 Tier-VIIIs and a Tier-IX arty, it was time to move on and try to improve on my own.

Hitting the official forums I read a little, watched a little, and slowly began to grasp the core mechanics of the game. As I improved I decided that joining a clan might be a good idea again. Searching the forums led me to a “platoon-only” clan named [LIMBO]. There were some good players in the community, so I worked to get my stats up to meet their requirements and joined.

While in [LIMBO] I witnessed a clan grow, evolve, and change… Some for the better, some for the worse. A large portion of [LIMBO] decided they wanted to try hitting the global map, they formed [JIMBO] which decimated [LIMBO]’s active player-base. I became a Deputy Commander and focused MOST of my energy to rebuilding the clan. It became a labor of love. During my tenure I eventually became Commander and [LIMBO] took off, becoming a destination instead of some stepping-stone. We were attracting great players, had a tight community of emotionally resilient tankers who were active and interesting. Considering the clan’s past this was a difficult task; Hellcats still haunted us.

However, we did it right and even began to see former [LIMBO] and [JIMBO] members reapply after burning out of whatever Clan Wars community they graduated to. I helped lead [LIMBO] through the 3rd Campaign where EVERY member who was in it for the reward tank got one, plus a few more who didn’t expect it. Needless to say the work my officers and I did in [LIMBO] was an outrageous success and a model to emulate.

Due to political and administrative differences, a core group of officers and myself decided to leave [LIMBO] and we had over 50 members follow. Within a week of its creation [AWFUL] has 60 active members and we have the chance to start anew with tighter requirements and a more defined goal. Already out requirements are under our average as we continue to recruit and attract excellent players looking for that [AWFUL] atmosphere we provide. Watching us grow and evolve over the new few months will be another wild ride I am glad to be a part of.

So, You Want to be a Commander?

Do you? It will take you away from playing the game often… Especially if you’re commanding correctly. It is sometimes stressful, you risk having every tween in the clan come crying to you about TeamSpeak Tags and “he said I smell bad” complaints, and even fully grown men will sometimes have a hard time keeping their jimmies together. A small upstart with limited funds may require its command and leadership to forgo payment and keep that gold in the treasury to help struggling players buy a little premium time or retrain a crew. It can be thankless, arduous, and depressing…

Want to take the plunge anyways?

Good; the experience is rewarding, challenging, and fun.

Step 1: What the fuck are you all about? - Setting a primary goal.

Before you design an icon, decide on a name, or even THINK about spending 2.5k gold to create a new clan, you need direction. You need a goal. Do you want to be all super serious, bang with the big boys on the global map every night, fight those maxed-out strongholds, and claim a spot in the top 20? Do you want to be more relaxed, have a good tight social group that just enjoys playing together with worrying about your win rate too much? Maybe you want to have a small clan of good tournament and weekly skirmish players and that’s pretty much all you do. Regardless of what your goal it, solidify it and use it as your guide.

This is [AWFUL]’s Charter:

AWFUL is a clan focused on gathering great players with good attitudes and resilient emotional constitutions to platoon, stronghold, and tournament together. Without focusing on the daily global map grind or any other long-term in-game commitment, we will excel at whatever we do whenever we do it. Forum warriors, Jimmie Rustlers, and lovable rapscallions are welcome to apply.

The right personality is a must. Statistical requirements will be strict. Being regularly active will be important to maintain a position with AWFUL. Strong, easygoing people who are active and good at the game means we will have regular stronghold bonuses, top tournament teams, an endless supply of great players to platoon with, and the option of partaking in campaigns and other limited global map events.

We play often, we play well, we play on our terms.

If you are (re)building alone, you have your work cut out for you. Hopefully you have some solid, trusted friends to share the load with. You are going to need a name, a tag, some icons, and a way to get your intentions out there. You need to decide on applicant requirements from stats to tanks to experience. Thus we segue into recruiting.

Step 2: Have clam, need beer! - Recruitment

Recruiting can be slow and painful. So slow and so painful, in fact, that the urge to choose quantity over quality is high. Don’t succumb. Stick to your guns. Keep your requirements where you want them. As members pour in you should see the clan average RISE, not fall. If you want a clan full of solid greens who are breaking into blue, don’t let a bunch of oranges slip in; they will prevent the players you want from joining. Tough calls will need to be made here, but if your clan is about being good and not about a little group of friends having fun together, keep your eye on the goal.

Forums are a great way to recruit. Make a thread, make it interesting, and keep it active. I recommend you do more than say “bump” every day. Post your goals, your requirements, and information on how to contact you or your recruitment team.

Keep your eye in-game for tagless people in randoms who meet your requirements. Prowl around with another member in a 2-man platoon and invite a 3rd for impromptu reviews. Have a process and stick to it (for the most part). Don’t just throw out invites; make sure this guy is a good fit personality-wise for your group.

Don’t be afraid to try and reach beyond your grasp. If you have the right attitude and good approach you may even be able to sell your shitty little green clan to a burnt out blue or better. Maybe he’s tired of the Global Map and nightly strongholds, but doesn’t want to solo all the time. Maybe he’s getting so many damn invites that the idea of wearing tags if only to keep the private message count down is pleasing. A clan can have a token shitter or two, but a token “good” player is even better. And some good player like that role and may even have a knack for mentoring.

If someone says “no”, don’t press the issue. Move on. But you do have to sell your clan, sell your goal, and sell your community. All of this is easier with a sales team… With leads us to delegation of duty.   

Step 3: Officer on Deck! - Duty Delegation and Command Structure...

Duty delegation is important especially if you anticipate or have a large active population, a lot of interest in the clan, and you’re guys are doing many different things at once. Assigning these Executive Officer and other roles should NOT be a popularity contest. You want to give that power and responsibility to people who are going to use it correctly and for the benefit of the clan.

Often these roles will almost fill themselves, you just need to be aware enough to recognize an individual’s prowess and talk to them about making it official. Do you have a player who is an aggressive forum warrior and is frequently pulling potential recruits into the community, talks a good game, and is positive? Sounds like he should lead recruitment. Do you have a player who is always getting strongholds going, calls well in those battles, and knows which bonuses to pop? He should be in charge of strongholds. Do you have a dude who pays attention to the global map, has connections with other clans, and likes to drop chips and stuff? He should be in charge of your clan wars stuff…

As the commander you need to maintain oversight and make sure people don’t go overboard, but also be aware of when someone’s knowledge of or skill with something supersedes your own. Don’t surround yourself with yes-men. Value people who have the balls to tell you that you are wrong, have a shitty idea, and say “I told you so” when you don’t listen to them. After all, the experience should help you grow as a player as well… Which isn’t going to happen if you’re the absolute best at everything in the clan.

W4f2YgN.png

[AWFUL] Heirarchy

Step 4: Even bricks need repointing. - Maintaining and Improving Your Clan...

Maintaining a clan can be difficult. Make it easier on yourself by drafting up a simple set of rules each member is expected to follow. This will allow you to quickly address issues and rid your group of anyone who is a complete detriment to achieving your goals.

[AWFUL]’s rules are as follows:

Only Seven Rules to be AWFUL

[1] Be active. Forty-five (45) days inactive is an auto-kick. We understand that shit happens, but we have a community to maintain. You can always reapply later, gives us a heads up that you'll be away for awhile, or just realize you hate this fucking game and probably aren't going to play any more.

[2] Be on TS3 while you play. A mic is highly preferred; we would like to be able to hear your squeaky prepubescent voice and make fun of it. At least check in as important news and updates are relayed through the program. We enjoy and cherish the social aspect of our clan. Join in on the fun or don't join at all. We don't want people wearing our tags alone in pubs.

[3] Register on our private forums. It's how we organize team-play events and gives you a voice in our community. Our posts are of the highest quality and include threads on anime, gay sex, straight sex, sex sex, gross sex, butt sex, ear sex, politics, NSFW/NSFL, education, bullshit, and stuff.

[4] No butthurt. If you are easily offended, prone to having a slight breeze rustle your jimmies, or cry in the fetal position and run to daddy every time someone calls you a "shitter", you will not fit in here. If you cannot handle your own shit, don't even bother. Your commander and officers are not your parents. If we were, we would try and get 124th trimester abortions to become legal. We reserve the right to cleanse ourselves of whiny thumb-sucking cry-babies who can't deal with losses, premium ammunition, or constantly acts like life just isn't fair.

[5] Don't be a cock-sucking ass-fucking feces-spewing bunghole. While we tolerate a healthy amount of tomfoolery and dickish behavior, spamming racial slurs and ignorant bigoted bullshit in all chat and stuff causes more trouble than you are probably worth. If you are going to offend someone, be creative. If it makes your commander laugh, discipline won't be harsh. We reserve the right to rid ourselves of truly poopy-pantsed malignant personalities at any time.

[6] Strive to improve. While we know stats are not everything, we due value performance information. If you fall below our standards you WILL wear a "Shitter" tag in TS3 until you are up to snuff. You will be surrounded by, at a minimum, top 5% players or better. Utilize our knowledge and take this time to play with the best we have to offer. We reserve the right to rid our ranks of stragglers at any time.

[7] Make your in-game commitments. No-showing without warning to tournament teams and other organized events is a serious offense. The clan has no daily attendance requirements, so if you make a commitment with an [AWFUL] player and “forget” about it and allow yourself to be carried to gold, you risk being kicked from the clan or black-listed from participating in these events in the future.

Seven simple rules, injected with a bit of literary flavor, allow us to recognize and respond to everything from inactivity and statistical stagnation to truly abrasive and maladaptive behavior.

Crack That Whip!

Discipline can also be important. Of course the question is, what do you discipline and how do you do it? There are many different approaches, but I have a simple system that keeps me from wasting energy addressing bullshit. If WG has a system that punishes it, why would I do anything about it. Some pubbie gets TK’d, my guy turns blue and gets banned for an hour… Seems like the problem is solved. Now, this pubbie gets TK’d while my guy is calling him a “nigger-Chinese-spic” and making real life death threats, he’s going to get kicked from the clan… Probably. I have seen people report one of my guys for spewing hateful things and provide a screenshot, only to get the whole replay and see they had been heckling him, ramming him, and slinging similar insults for the first 10 minutes of the battle before he snapped.

Don’t put up with whining sissy bitches. If your token shitter cries that the best player in the clan called him shit, he needs to review this problem-solving chart:

g5Idtrb.png

Here we see that the real problem is that he is shit. Maybe, also, that he is too sensitive…

Whatever you do, don’t let the process become akin to this chart:

9cbw5Qp.png

Put on your big boy pants.

It is okay to expect your clan members to deal with their own interpersonal issues. If the complaint is akin to, “he said something bad about me,” the response should be, “did you talk to him about it?” Usually the offended just wants to cry in a corner and have the world bend to his will through divine intervention. Do NOT force people to apologize for harmless jabs and statements that, no matter how blunt or tactless, may be true. And, if someone is in fact a shitty player, gets called out on it, a resorts to calling people “cunts” or “cancer”, they don’t have the emotional fortitude to be in a clan of a-type personalities who want to excel in a competitive atmosphere.

Catering to the lowest common denominator sets a poor precedent. Any clan I help lead will have an overall goal of doing what we do and doing it well. The goal is not to have everyone get along like Teletubbies on ecstasy… In fact, if you fill a roster with good players who have that “right stuff” and a winner’s attitude, there will be a lot of pissing contests and epeen measuring. It comes with the territory. Do not fight it, embrace it. Internal competition urges individual improvement which benefits everyone.

Childish actions are by far less detrimental to a group and childish reactions.

It’s alive!

A clan should be thought of more as a living, evolving organism. It will change and grow and change and grow. Much like a raging river, you will never be able to fully stop or contain where it wants to go. Instead help guide it, help harness its energy, and help it become more capable. A good clan is equal to more than the sum of its parts. A good commander and solid group of officers will help guide a clan to new challenges and help them overcome and persevere.

Please share any stories, advice, and tips on how you keep your boys strong and together!

Put on your big boy pants.

It is okay to expect your clan members to deal with their own interpersonal issues. If the complaint is akin to, “he said something bad about me,” the response should be, “did you talk to him about it?” Usually the offended just wants to cry in a corner and have the world bend to his will through divine intervention. Do NOT force people to apologize for harmless jabs and statements that, no matter how blunt or tactless, may be true. And, if someone is in fact a shitty player, gets called out on it, a resorts to calling people “Fucking* cunts” or “cancer”, they don’t have the emotional fortitude to be in a clan of a-type personalities who want to excel in a competitive atmosphere.

Catering to the lowest common denominator sets a poor precedent. Any clan I help lead will have an overall goal of doing what we do and doing it well. The goal is not to have everyone get along like Teletubbies on ecstasy… In fact, if you fill a roster with good players who have that “right stuff” and a winner’s attitude, there will be a lot of pissing contests and epeen measuring. It comes with the territory. Do not fight it, embrace it. Internal competition urges individual improvement which benefits everyone.

Childish actions are by far less detrimental to a group and childish reactions.

Fixed

I want to point out that Skirmishes and Strongholds can be a good way of getting your name out there for those who do not look at the forums much,

having your own website and forum is pretty good too, so you can coordinate clan happenings and just fuck around without having to worry about moderators (unless its a really shitty poast, in which case it will get taken down)

7j91nii.png?1

luthrior.png

Confirmed filthy reroll. ;^)

edit: omg my main account has higher overall wn8 than my reroll. I think I screwed up somewhere...

In your case, then, you are guilty on both counts!

And, yeah... I think that counts as a reroll fail considering you main's recent performance.

In your case, then, you are guilty on both counts!

And, yeah... I think that counts as a reroll fail considering you main's recent performance.

I also don't have an E-50 on my reroll. If I could just make that tank appear in my garage, then I could probably get into the wotlabs top 10 if I played it for 5k battles.

Bulba - reservist

The most highly regarded rank, as these members are often alts or inactive who have had the balls to quit this game and spend their time with more useful things like anime real life.
They are also the first to get kicked in order to make room for more Asians, or Russians.

"notspooky and I get to be Nebby's slaves? aw shit nigga this gonna be dank"

Well, looks like one of you should be Personnel Officer... The PO position is too limiting for _Knobby.

That bitch needs to fly free.

I also don't have an E-50 on my reroll. If I could just make that tank appear in my garage, then I could probably get into the wotlabs top 10 if I played it for 5k battles.

Yo come in more often and teach me your ways.. I can't do shit in my e-50.. (1800ish dpg)...

Well, looks like one of you should be Personnel Officer... The PO position is too limiting for _Knobby.

That bitch needs to fly free.

change _Notspooky to it, I'm sure he'd just LOVE being RO, cuz it aint JO... ruins his sig huehuehue

Edit: I did forward this to some of my buddies (some who play other games/game communities) and they really liked it