jokobet

SU-100M1 drivers' thread - Better than you'd think

SU-100M1 - Tier 7 TD Comparison  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How good is the SU-100M1 compared to its fellow tier 7 TDs?

• Complete rubbish
    • Mediocre
    • Good but can't compete with the best (SU-122-44)
    • Besterest of the best of the best
    • Banana? Apple!

Given that only two threads exist on this shy little t7 Russian TD and both are older than my grandparents' furniture, I have decided to open a more positively-minded drivers' thread for this little gem. Not played often and overshadowed by monsters like the SU-122-44 in combination with the fact that TDs up to t8 suffer from bad health values, this tank is far from being en vogue.

To kick things off, its statistics sheet with a 100% crew (no skills) and my equipment setup:

lkvS0K6.jpg?1

• HP Pool: 830. RIP.
  • Armor: Non-existant outside of the gun mantlet. Sidescraping is not recommended unless it is your last option. Hull down also doesn't work well except against some t6 tanks. It's a really bad platform and having a rear-mounted gun, the engine in the front and no gun depression doesn't help either.
  • Gun: 3k effective DPM, 5s reload, 0.33 accuracy, 1.7s aim time, good shell velocity and ok-ish dispersion values make for a tank that kills enemies at range very very quickly and reliably. Not as brutal as the SU-122-44 but still effective. The APCR has 235mm pen which is pleasant but rarely needed. Overall very decent and it snapshots like a boss - most one- or twoshots you can yolo around a corner by auto-aiming and clicking faster than the enemy.
  • Mobility: Good - difficult to circle for lights and meds and lets you relocate quickly.
  • Camo: Excellent ~20% base camo value (stationary), i.e. 3rd best in tier and surpassed only by the SU-122-44 and E 25. The view range is lackluster

Playstyle: It's a pure DPM platform - snipeysnipe, flank, snipeysnipe, yolo-rush low-health prey. Not difficult and surprisingly effective because of the good DPM and the fact that even at long range, the gun is very reliable.

Loadout/Crew: (My setup)

• Rammer, Vents & Binocs for max DPM & ability to play vision games. Staying at range when possible is vital. GLD would be a total waste and coated optics are not viable with 360m base view range.
  • Four crew members for whom 6th & camo are crucial imo. I had the pleasure of using my old IS-4 crew (3 skills) and thus also used BiA, clutch & repairs for increased yolo-survivability. Dead-eye or snap shot, safe stowage, offroad & repairs would be in the 4th skill set.

Results: 63% winrate, 1.7k dpg, 1.8 frags per game after 71 battles yield about 3.3k wn8. Padding potential confirmed...

Replay: As I lost my ace bade, here my last battle in the tank - being top tier and surrounded by tomatoes, I decide to go for the upper flank. The engagement with the Tiger shows the ridiculous dpm of the tank, a worthwhile trade. Granted, I was top tier in a very good setup and an SU-122-44 would have done the same just better but nonetheless, it's a solid TD.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1653017#hidden_village-jokobet-su-100m1

Verdict: I thoroughly enjoyed playing this tank. It may be overshadowed by the SU-122-44 but it is fun and was a very nice surprise to me.

I doubt I've been killed by this tank even once in my last 4K battles :^)

But yeah looks decent. Like an underpowered E-25, which might still be kinda nice.

I am currently grinding this machine and am somewhat disappointed to be honest. Compared to the Tiger I it has only slightly better DPM (5 sec reload compared to a 5,5sec reload), camo (obviously only good if you don't shoot or invisi-snipe. GL with that gun deression tho.) and better mobility (this is really the only big plus of the SU imo), but suffers from limited gun traverse (slightly negating the aim time advantage imo), very low HP, and dat gun depression that keeps you from using a lot of spots.
Imo the DPM advantage over the Tiger is not worth the losses you have to take in other areas. So as far as flexible TDs go Tiger >>> Su-100M1.

That said I am currently enjoying my time in it as it isn't a bad tank. The Tiger is imo just plain better in its role of long/mid range support and can brawl if needed.

Have it now and I'm not really happy with it. It has too many downsides and too few things it does decently.

- Traverse Speed (the SU-122-44 turns fast enough to keep up with lights and meds, the toilet-SU does not)

- DPM (only slightly faster reload than the premium SU yet 250 vs 390 alpha damage)

- Gun Depression

- Gun Traverse (pain to use camo net and/or binos)

- Low HP

- Low Alpha Damage

- High Profile

It's playable but I would not go so far as to say it's a decent TD. A slight HP reduction and this TD could be made a tier 6 and no one would complain about it being OP.

I really enjoyed this tank, but in fairness didn't have the SU-122-44 at the time to compare it against. Played 92 games in this past December, went 2021 WN8 and 56% winrate in it. Sold it to get the SU-101.

I would point out that the stock suspension is close to capacity, it won't even mount a camo net. I ran mine with springs for several games because I hate having money wanted vents and a rammer and didn't have any free xp available. Switched the springs for binoculars once that was resolved. 

I attribute most of the hate it gets to some players not fully adapting to rear-anything tanks. I happened to be starting the JP2 at the same time I picked the 100M1 up, so I figured it'd be a good call to play the rear casemate TDs at the same time while I'm used to the style. It certainly isn't a bad tank. Oft-trolly bounces off the casemate, great dpm and accuracy, and medium mobility. Just comes at a trade off of limited arc and depression.

Still, I can't help but feel like the SU-122-44 and JagdPanther (as a non-premium option) can fill the same role better: depression is not so much an issue, higher alpha and still accurate enough guns, and both have the option of becoming assault guns on a whim whereas the 100M1 has the mobility but lacks uniform frontal armor. 

I saw a good twice on his 100M1,dont recall his name, but he played like a pseudo medium, on both games he got into the top 5 , dealt around 1600 on the one we were top and around 1400 on the tier 9 one. Saw his stats and had decent WR (55%) and around 1300 DPG. How viable is this playstile?

I saw a good twice on his 100M1,dont recall his name, but he played like a pseudo medium, on both games he got into the top 5 , dealt around 1600 on the one we were top and around 1400 on the tier 9 one. Saw his stats and had decent WR (55%) and around 1300 DPG. How viable is this playstile?

I played it like a medium, got 1699 DPG and that despite being often full of potatoe.

Just picked this tank up and belted out a little over 30 games so far. It's decent and when you get a chance to bring your DPM to bear its pretty beastly. Like others before in this thread have stated I have been playing it like a turret-less medium. Which to me is much more enjoyable than a sit in the back and pew pew TD. 

Don't think I'll keep it but it is a painless tank to play thru so far and it definitely has its moments.

UPDATE:

Finished this tank with a 66% W/R 3.1k WN8 after about 95 battles. It is a very decent, relatively enjoyable tank. It can flex well. Personally I prefer that over the less flexible more impressive SU-152. Despite that personal preference the SU-100M1 is definitely the weaker of the two.

It's not a keeper for me but it is a painless grind. I did it with a terribad crew and no 6th (until about half way thru).