chunky04

Chunkys T49 Challenge - 100 games of RNG madness

So I got this crazy little tank over the weekend, and promptly tanked - couldn't do well in it at all - I think I won 1 out of my first 8 games or so in it. I'm starting to come around a bit with it now, from 17 games (including the first 5 challenge games) I have 35% WR and 1436 WN8 in it.

I'm really enjoying the tank and the different way it plays, and the process of re-learning where to go on maps to make best use of its abilities, so I thought I may as well to a 100 game challenge in it to see if I can improve.

My goal is 56% win rate and 1800 WN8 - we'll see how I go. I intend to do the games in batches of 5 straight - first batch is below, I hope to have convenient summaries in future batches.

First batch average stats:

3/5 wins (60%)

2736 WN8

1326 average damage

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mr0zx418ngnof/Batch_1

Battle 1: WIN - Siegfried Line - went to the edge of the city early, but IS3 didn't quite come out far enough to get a shot in. Then went into the city and started trying to get some nice shots in. Missed an opportunity to give the M103 a good smacking by being slow. Traded badly with an IS4. I think I hit the tree on a second go where I was hidden and fully aimed. Manage to successfully stop the IS4 from rounding a corner on our reloading 50B. Miss a few shots after that, and finally take down arty in cleanup.

Battle 2: LOSS - Airfield - my best game of the batch, I got into E5 early and was able to get things done. Not realising I was lit (thought I'd gone dark) made me take 600 early on. Also forgot to load HE early, and my HEAT caused no damage to the Jag. Should have done better, I let myself get worried about a Lorraine that wasn;t an issue when I could dumped shots down on the T54 and KV3 instead. Enemy 13 90 made a nice team play at the end to take my shot while reloading and on full health so his team could kill me.

Battle 3 - Westfield - WIN - figure I'll go see if I can get some nice ambush shots in the city. Initially mistakenly position behind a descructible building, was lucky not to pay for that mistake. Miss many shots at an ubershot WTP4. Probably could have gone out a bit more to get a shot on the WTE100. 268 died just as I reached the point of no return and finished off by enemy T49.

Battle 4: South Coast - WIN - I head to the 0 line early from South Spawn, hoping to get some decent shots, which works quite well. Through a combo of bad shooting and RNG, I don;t hit many, and I miss out on a blind shot opportunity. I kill the Bulldog, then get a good blat into the IS8. I kill their T49, then somehow bounce a WTE, which I don;t get to hunt down and probably die, since our team caps out.

Battle 5: Sacred Valley - LOSS - I miss the WZ, but it was only partially aimed so shit happens. My shot at the WTP$ is a bit disappointing. I sneak aroun d the back trying to take prssure of the front, which was a bad idea, made worse by not doing full damage on the side of the 132, which would probably have allowed me to get away from the slow reloading T-34-3 if I'd killed it, but it was not to be.

The key for being good in the T49 is to know when you have to use HE and when HEAT. This is so fuckin important.

Example:

You see a T30, what do you load? HEAT if you are infront of him and can't get behind him. HE if you can behind him.

You know your first engagement will be the enemy scout so load HE always first.

You see an E100 which has his back turned to you, what do you shoot? LOLOL load HE and shoot him in the back off the turret.

As a sidenote, for a bit now, i am trying to shoot the ground under a heavily armored tank because you will splash damage the bottom armor of it. Prem HE and do 400-500 DMG to a E100 = Win.

Good Luck on your journey.

Elevation over your targets is a priority when slinging a 152mm HE shell. Always shoot engine decks (If you see the E3/4/5, run to their arse and shoot HE for lulz)

You can play peak a boom with this tank, even on maps not normally for LTs like himmelsderp etc... just time the enemy reload and lob a 300 damage shell to his face if you run out of options.

Good Luck™

Hi chunky. After playing the absolute monster that is the Bulldog, I'm very hesitant to buy this fast but unreliable RNG machine. 

I suspect this is one tank that the accuracy changes will significantly affect? 

Hi chunky. After playing the absolute monster that is the Bulldog, I'm very hesitant to buy this fast but unreliable RNG machine. 

I suspect this is one tank that the accuracy changes will significantly affect? 

YUROP here, since 9.6 gone live here, it didn't change by that much. Yes there are now some shots which are missing by a mile, but it isn't that bad. (You dont want to snipe from 300m+)

YUROP here, since 9.6 gone live here, it didn't change by that much. Yes there are now some shots which are missing by a mile, but it isn't that bad. (You dont want to snipe from 300m+)

Exactly, its basically a shot gun...

The acc changes matter very little to me, but depends on your playstyle. If you try to snipe with an IS-7 you are going to have a bad time. That being said, its still very possible to snipe from 500m+.

Exactly, its basically a shot gun...

The acc changes matter very little to me, but depends on your playstyle. If you try to snipe with an IS-7 you are going to have a bad time. That being said, its still very possible to snipe from 500m+.

Yep, there are shots which are going exactly where you aimed, basiclly in the middle of the reticle. 

Ironically so far its the short range shots I've had more RNG misses on that long range, even fully aimed (small sample size).

Anyways, next batch did not go well.

Batch2_zps1bb8704f.jpg

And replays at:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c4xrwex3y87hc/Batch_2

@ Construction - yeah currently very bad at that, especially as I'm not very experienced with HE, so don;t really have a good understanding of what to aim at yet.

@ Poli - yeah, I think I really missed out on opportunities to do this on Airfield.

@Prolix - it is a very fun tank, and different enough that you get the joys of unlocking how it works on all the maps, which I enjoy.

Fun to see you play this tank.

For me this is one of the most trollish tanks out there.

So far I've clocked about 50 games in it and felt that it should have "monster" potential.

Yesterday I finally got some of that potential out of it in a 6600 dmg game.

It really includes what I believe to be the main strengths of this tank:

Speed: reach an advantageous point before anyone else.

Peek-a-Boom: Since you have long reload and will use HE-shells, make sure to use that to peek out and either fire fast or to fire when the enemy can't retaliate.

Firestarter: Once you are able to stay at a good spot and are then able to hit the ass of enemies, you can torch em all.

Little wolf in a pack of cows: If you stay alive untill the end of the game you can go with the other tanks and have safety in numbers and dish out good damage and use your speed to your advantage to pick on lonely enemies. The strength in number is also true during the mid stages of the game. You never want the enemy to be focused on you (peek-a-boom).

Replay of 6600 dmg game on cliff:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5243467/wot-etc/20150223_1905_usa-T49_18_cliff.wotreplay

I really shouldn't start these batches when raging, it results in horrible derps. One day I'll actually manage to gett to the hill on Mines without some fuckwit getting in the way, one day I will....

Batch%203_zpshoopqppj.jpg

Replays at (pls dun watch first 2 - I disgrace my famiry)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3myzmlpwea1bz/Batch_3

I really shouldn't start these batches when raging, it results in horrible derps. One day I'll actually manage to gett to the hill on Mines without some fuckwit getting in the way, one day I will....

Batch%203_zpshoopqppj.jpg

Replays at (pls dun watch first 2 - I disgrace my famiry)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3myzmlpwea1bz/Batch_3

Cant watch the first two ones, but can i ask if you were going hill alone or with other meds? Was it a Tier 10 game?

Was not going the hill alone, there was a Bat and a T54 coming with. It was a tier 10 game. I can actually show you all the stupid in screenshots, to say you wasting time on the replay.

shot_053_zpsmkjyy6aj.jpg

At this point I should already be bailing and just follow the Object 140 - I need to be first across to make the hill rush work in a tier 10 game. But raging and decide fuck it I'm doing it anyways.

shot_054_zpslyhellgr.jpg

I see two tanks that could potentially hurt my ability to get up there, and keep going anyways...

shot_055_zpshcpa6c0g.jpg

I could have still pulled out at this point, but still rage derping. Really in this situation its probably more likely I'll hit my own T54 in the arse than the enemy, and the T54 is obviously going to block me with its slower speed going up the hill.

From there the results are predictable, I get blocked up by the T54, tracked and blatted quickly while tunnel visioning on the Batchat to seal the derp - don;t even get a shot off.

Really a spaztacular performance all round.

Maybe I should do Derp like a pro articles lol.

Ugh, todays games were ugly as well. No funky graphic I'm afraid.

Replays here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jpt1ns505mju0/Batch_4

Game Summary:

Game 1 - Abbey - did well here, was trying to use some of what I've seen Zeven talking about in this one and it worked.

Game 2 - Live Oaks - I got balanced early on. Team was so ridiculously passive that the inevitable draw ensued. Guess I shouldn't have been camping.

Game 3 - Ruinberg - I look at the lineups, and realise field is going to fall quite quickly. I mention this in the countdown, though there were only 1 or 2 other english speakers anyways. We lose three tanks in the middle alley early, they murder anyone quickly who was foolish enough to advance in field, we get smashed. Really not sure there was much I could do in this one. Maybe try and help push city?

Game 4 - Lakeville - Encounter - so an IS7, WTE100 and T54E1 go valley, and our tanks feed into the city. Just a real shitshow. Not really sure what else I could do, maybe go middle? At least I hit a long range blindshot on the enemy T49 somehow I guess.

Game 5 - Erlenburg - easy win with a far superior team. I have a little game with a Type 61, where I hit one of my my two shots, then get to finish off arty.

So I felt I contributed well to 1 win, didn't take anything off the table in the other, got killed early by arty in a game which I may have been able to influence otherwise, and had two games where I felt my existence in the battle did not matter one jot regardlss of how I played.

OK, next batch up. Very up and down set this one, and another early arty oneshot included.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64sz1cij6wccf/Batch_5

4 wins in this lot, but only one of those I really felt I helped much, and another I did OK in. The other two I was bad. Was also bad in the loss.

Stats so far after 20 games:

27bfd64c-6c8a-45c7-8bde-dbcd5c0f9336_zps

So 55% win rate and 1300 WN8. Under both my targets so far.

t49 is my favorite tank right now, it is a derp machine. RNG loves to screw me over but its still a fun tank. I have hit a 12t for 32 damage, not sure how, but I have 1 shot a ton of scouts which is always a fun time. the ability to hurt tier 10s reliably as awesome, and blasting modules from far helps the team. its pretty easy to get 5-10 modules per game.

getting 800 damage plus shots on t30s and t34s is always fun watching them trying to traverse.

This next batch is just fucking depressing.

I need to be more patient and less passive when being patient (see Ruinberg derp). At the same time though, how the fuck do you be patient when your team is going down 0-6 within 3 minutes on a fucking city map?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g7c7x1yc4qa1p/Batch_6

This one went a lot better win wise, though I didn't feel I did a huge amount in them. I missed a couple of opportunities by not switching ammo types. The third and last games in particular. Also had one game where if I;d managed to do more damage I'd have survived for cleanup which would have been good.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ry1ncgu76f84f/Batch_7

Wins in all 5 though is very nice.

Batch%207_zpszdhjxiuk.jpg