TrOplcThUnDeR

Leo PTA. Diamond in the rough appreciation thread.

@Trobs

What constitutes 2nd line? Does it mean snipe? How far back are you to successfully play this tank? For me it is not clear where this second line is supposed to be, especially on certain maps..i.e. city maps. Is it right behind main heavies? 100m back? 200m back?

On open maps  - Max view range, if I have a scout in front of me, then max shot range. That part is easy.

The harder part is city maps. Honestly I tend to float on those. Let the rest of the team get involved before I do. On Ensk I'll wait in the field for 2-3 minutes and take shots if available, if not I start flexing around to find a weakness to exploit.

Something like Himmelsdorf depends on team layout. Lots of enemy TDs I'll go hill. Lots of mediums, I'll go to the tracks. Nothing really dominant, try to flex. It's a difficult way to play and that's why I"m not good at it. I'm much better at being the E-75 who can put himself in tank alley and laugh off the enemy shots. That's why I'm sticking with the PTA to 500 games, it's training me to play completely differently and I can already tell it's making me better. Even if my stats aren't showing yet.

@Trobs

Great insight! I too have the Leo Turd and I'm still learning the dynamics.

What do you think of the upcoming changes in 9.7?

Particularly the Penetration reduced from 268mm to 257mm- Looks like I'll be loading more HEAT

Reload time was reduced which is a +

But what about dispersion, how will this affect game play? 

It's a tricky tank to learn. It isn't terrible, but it is workable. If you can succeed in it, you can succeed in most tanks.

I don't see the penetration being too big of a deal. You'll have more trouble with Tens and some 9 heavies, but otherwise I don't see it being a massive hit.

Reducing dispersion is fantastic. The gun already handles very well and this will make it that much better. Essentially your circle will be that much smaller while moving in all facets. It's a rather sizable buff to the PTA. Hull, turret and movement dispersion decreases are awesome.

I play this tank like a coward. Hit, run away, hide, hit run away.

The stock grind gave me a 48% WR, but since I have the top gun, it rocks.

Where would I take a PTA on a city map?

Himmelsderp: Hill, believe it or not, as long as some heavier armoured guys are going. You have GREAT reverse acceleration, and good enough gun handling to pop and shoot at that range reliably. Just don't lag too much and you'll be good.

Ensk: In standard, camping the west side of rails early on worked for me, then moving up to shoot the sides of the enemy main heavy lines in the west buildings. You better have a good vision crew to do this though, or someone will rape your face if they're camping the other end of the train platform.

Stalingrad: East side, it was added after I played the PTA, but instinct tells me the east is where you want to be. Use the hills to give gun depression to your east side, and use the slopes for cover from the west side guys.

Kharkov: Courtyard, or the ring between courtyard and the main city if you feel really ballsy.

I think the most important thing in this tank is to drift between front line - second line - front line at the right times.  It's certainly not a full on all game sniper.  I tend to be very aggressive at the start of the game to get early shots and damage, then let the rest of the team overlap me to put me second line as we start to win the flank, but push up to the front again anytime things aren't getting lit or I don't have shots.  You have the speed to be very aggressive and still get out again if you get put under pressure so sitting at the back all game is a mistake imo.

On himmelsdorf I would usually work around the central square either shooting across it, or shooting up at hill flankers.  I think the hill is a lot less important than most people seem to think.  If the enemy sends a small force there then you aren't needed anyway.  If the enemy sends a large force there then they are weak in the town and you can easily push the lower city and start flanking through the gaps and often win the game by cap or kill before they can break through the top chokepoint anyway.  It's much easier to shoot up at the hill while using hardcover than down from it anyway.  On encounter, the hill is more viable since the cap timer is a lot longer and they cant just yolocap when they see all your heavies on the hill.  

Well I pretty much gave up on this line about a year ago when I finished the Indien panzer.  However in my quest to have every vehicle in the game elited I decided to go ahead and finish the line so I bought the PTA.  Did not want to use free exp on anything so I played it for quite a few games stock.  Tank is a turd stock, I eventually just used free exp to get the gun and every since then this tank has been great for me.  Most games since I got the gun I am doing 3k damage pretty easily, now I cant wait to get the engine to see this thing zoom around, still pretty slow currently.  The one thing though I don't like about the tank is you kind of have to play like a bitch early on because of the weak (no) armor, but I am adjusting to that style of play.

I never played a med tank with paper armor before and I have to say the Leo PTA is simply outstanding.

The base camo and view range on this tank is stellar and as long as you have VS, the gun handling is actually better than you'd originally expect.

The only thing I want this tank to have is the gun depression the Leo 1 has but beyond that I love it <3

Rocking a 73% w/r (mostly solopub) in my PTA.

I never played a med tank with paper armor before and I have to say the Leo PTA is simply outstanding.

The base camo and view range on this tank is stellar and as long as you have VS, the gun handling is actually better than you'd originally expect.

The only thing I want this tank to have is the gun depression the Leo 1 has but beyond that I love it <3

Rocking a 73% w/r (mostly solopub) in my PTA.

Must be nice. I can't win to save my god damn life. I've got the damage dealing part down, but by the time I try to reposition my team has evaporated. Every damn game in this tank.

I really need to work on my damage dealing in this tank, especially in world of corridors. I find it difficult to actually influence the battle on something like Himmelsdorf or Hidden Village, especially if we're losing or if we've given up map control. In something like the E-50, I can use the armor to push, the hits, and try to restore some control of the situation, but obviously that's impossible in a Leo. How do you guys play this tank when you can't use vision or long firing lanes to control the engagement?

I really need to work on my damage dealing in this tank, especially in world of corridors. I find it difficult to actually influence the battle on something like Himmelsdorf or Hidden Village, especially if we're losing or if we've given up map control. In something like the E-50, I can use the armor to push, the hits, and try to restore some control of the situation, but obviously that's impossible in a Leo. How do you guys play this tank when you can't use vision or long firing lanes to control the engagement?

Pure luck? That's the one thing I haven't reliably figured out in 300 games. Corridor maps are this tank's bane.

So I just "restarted" this tank.

I decided to apply the Kewai method of play. Solo pub only, lay it on myself to win. In a less then stellar tank. LEO PTA was my choice. Up until now I haven't done well in it. Sub-2k damage per game and 54% win rate.

As of my 15 battles last night truly focusing on winning and being the best i can in the tank...

Both damage is over 2k and I went 14-1 in battles for 93% win rate.

I still make a lot of mistakes, but this is a great learning tank (even if it is a tier 9). The combination of gun handling, speed, complete lack of armor, and lengthy reload teaches you how to play less aggressive. Something I never really practice in the game. While I am not going to perform at Kewai numbers in this tank it has amazing capabilities to move around and change the battle as need be. The limits are obvious and crippling sometimes, but I think this is the perfect tank to really hone gameplay.

Spot on breh. Its a truly... well, awesome tank to play with a good crew. Im going to get it back soon just so that I can try to get three MOE on it. The tank is really comfy to play

Spot on breh. Its a truly... well, awesome tank to play with a good crew. Im going to get it back soon just so that I can try to get three MOE on it. The tank is really comfy to play

200 games on from that post you quoted and I'm a lot better in it. Still can't win to save my life though. Win rate has dropped to 51.8% while avg damage has got over 2k. 2648 WN8 in it.

I think my problem is I am still too aggressive and I try to do too much in it which ends up with me dead early very very often. I try to experiment and keep getting burned.

Last 200 games of my push I am going to focus on simply winning in the machine. No more screwing around being cute, just do my job and win game. Gotta save that poor win rate.

I free xp'ed the top goodies and have enjoyed this tank. I do not think it is a painful grind if this is done. It has ended up as one of my most winningest tanks in my garage (62.7). I am really looking forward to the increased depression and fire rate of the Leo 1. I will have a hard time selling this but like most of my tier 9's I likely will.

I free xp'ed the top goodies and have enjoyed this tank. I do not think it is a painful grind if this is done. It has ended up as one of my most winningest tanks in my garage (62.7). I am really looking forward to the increased depression and fire rate of the Leo 1. I will have a hard time selling this but like most of my tier 9's I likely will.

The first 100 were painful for me. Mainly because the style of play isn't one I'm great at. I don't like stand off engagements, I like being in the front. This tank doesn't like doing that. Since then I have learned to love it. Despite having the Leo 1 unlocked, I'm committed to pushing through to 500 games just to cement the play style into my mind.

For an aggressive player or someone who prefers to abuse armor advantage I can certainly see why this tank frustrates the shit out of people. I forgive most of the tanks shortcomings because of DAT PEN. As a top tier tank in a good toon it is so easy to get 10/10 shots at mid-ling range. Corridor maps can prove difficult but honestly playing short range peek in poke or peek and poke flanking can negate some and I can usually escape with 2k damage. The armor and seemingly constant ammo racking however can lead to a few disappointing games from time to time though.

Pure luck? That's the one thing I haven't reliably figured out in 300 games. Corridor maps are this tank's bane.

Well... That sucks. I'm pretty mad at myself, at 100 games I had a 53% wr. At 200, it's down to 49%. Every other stat's gotten better, and I'm a better player because of this tank, but damn that sucks. Just gotta get better.

Well... That sucks. I'm pretty mad at myself, at 100 games I had a 53% wr. At 200, it's down to 49%. Every other stat's gotten better, and I'm a better player because of this tank, but damn that sucks. Just gotta get better.

It's really about reading the map and trying to make a play. It's been exceptionally difficult for me to break my long time mindset of being in the front. This tank just can't fight up front. Let the fight develop and look for weaknesses to exploit. Don't be afraid to relocate and don't get married to a particular strat.

It's hard to break from familar tactics, but when it pays off it's really good.

Towards the end of the grind, for my last few games, something clicked and I probably averaged something like 3.2k dpg. It really forces you to think about worst-case scenarios, firing lanes, camo...I'm pretty derpy most of the time, but the Leo PTA forced me to think more about my play, instead of doing everything on instinct. I'm really glad I didn't skip it.

Towards the end of the grind, for my last few games, something clicked and I probably averaged something like 3.2k dpg. It really forces you to think about worst-case scenarios, firing lanes, camo...I'm pretty derpy most of the time, but the Leo PTA forced me to think more about my play, instead of doing everything on instinct. I'm really glad I didn't skip it.

Same thing for me. I'm finally settled into the tank and it's very enjoyable. Frustrating at times due to the armor, depression, ammo rack....but still very fun.

Yea the depression is certainly the most frustrating part. The Leo 1 is gonna be amazebawls, better depression, aim time, and fire rate.... I'm getting a Loner (Leo boner...)

I've gotten pretty good at manuvering in the PTA. gotta find that magic spot to be able to get your gun down without revealing the entire damn tank. Leo 1 in 190 more games.

I could free XP to mine but I would have to spend the rest of my gold on converting to creds to barely afford it. Mayhaps we can have our christening joyride together, Leo and Leo, as one, chaii snipping bitches from afar lol...