TrOplcThUnDeR

Leo PTA. Diamond in the rough appreciation thread.

My dearest... dearest friend, the PTA... Im sorry but... things... 

You were my first love. The tank which I praised as being the "perfect" first girl. And you are. You made me the man I am now. But...

This other girl, the AMX 30? She is just that much better than you. She'll reach down a bit further south (with her gun depression). She has bigger tata's, tighter and more shapely rear, and... well, she just puts out more (damage) and shes all about me without the occasional top blowing off ammo rack (lets face it, happened most of the time with you. I like it when the tops come off, but you did it far too often and in public). 

You will always get credit for the shaping, the man making. But.. 

AMX 30 is just... just.... uh....

HHHNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

If I like my PTA, should I free exp to AMX30?(still in expensive 1375, heard 1390 will be more expensive)

If you like the PTA, you'll adore the AMX 30. just make sure you have enough for the tracks and gun. The rest of the grind is lol easy

2CAj4J2.jpg

If my scrub ass can do this well, you can too

If you like the PTA, you'll adore the AMX 30. just make sure you have enough for the tracks and gun. The rest of the grind is lol easy

2CAj4J2.jpg

If my scrub ass can do this well, you can too

Gotta...get...one...nao!!

I have basically enough free exp already to get the top gun straight away and use torsion bars till I get the better tracks.

I really loved my Leo PTA(despite everybody hating on it), yeah my DPG isn't really big but did the whole stock grind without any free exp.

God damnit PTA!

So I'm at 90% toward my first ever MOE. Shouldn't be hard right? Just gotta get all the damage I can. NOPE!

For every game I hit 4k damage, I get steamrolled in the next game. Just can't put it to up that last 5% Ugh.

Sidenote: 411/500 games completed before I sell the old girl. She's been fun, but AMX30 will take her place on my Tier 9 Nato tank.

Use VS, GLD and Binocular on Leo PT. Proceeds to farm damage til unicum by sniping.

I don't know why so many people are against me not using rammer on the Leo PT. It's for the most part a sniper, engaging at extreme range so I'd rather minimize exposure time by .3s than reload time by 1s

Define extreme range. Also, if you are firing on the move or after a very short peak over the hill or something then binocs are useless. If you're sitting and sniping at the border of draw range then you don't need to move, you don't need to minimize exposure and you are firing at targets someone else spotted so VS, GLD and binocs are all useless.

TL;DR

Your equipment is bad.

Define extreme range. Also, if you are firing on the move or after a very short peak over the hill or something then binocs are useless. If you're sitting and sniping at the border of draw range then you don't need to move, you don't need to minimize exposure and you are firing at targets someone else spotted so VS, GLD and binocs are all useless.

TL;DR

Your equipment is bad.

400m to 445m, where you can spot the enemy with Binocular but they have a low possibility of spotting you. Invisisniping tanks for 390 damage each is fun. Early game I would rush up a bush/forward position like a LT and get the spot/early shots off slower tanks moving into position. Then later I could either push the vision war from bush to bush or relocate to somewhere else to snipe again.

400m to 445m, where you can spot the enemy with Binocular but they have a low possibility of spotting you. Invisisniping tanks for 390 damage each is fun. Early game I would rush up a bush/forward position like a LT and get the spot/early shots off slower tanks moving into position. Then later I could either push the vision war from bush to bush or relocate to somewhere else to snipe again.

If you don't run VS/Rammer/Optics (or Vents combined with chocolate and BiA) then you're literally cutting yourself off at the knees. This setup gives you the most flexibility because people don't realise how much optics actually do give when you're poking ridges and playing open areas while moving. If you're sitting still and sniping for such extended periods that you actually benefit from binocs, you're literally playing any kind of medium wrong. 

On a sidenote: I am about to buy this tank, and I'm going to use my 251 crew because I'd rather grind a new one for the 251 than for the PTA. I found that I'd play this tank in 62a spots without the bounces (I.E. not relying on turret or anything) and playing opportunistically rather than forcefully

If you don't run VS/Rammer/Optics (or Vents combined with chocolate and BiA) then you're literally cutting yourself off at the knees. This setup gives you the most flexibility because people don't realise how much optics actually do give when you're poking ridges and playing open areas while moving. If you're sitting still and sniping for such extended periods that you actually benefit from binocs, you're literally playing any kind of medium wrong. 

On a sidenote: I am about to buy this tank, and I'm going to use my 251 crew because I'd rather grind a new one for the 251 than for the PTA. I found that I'd play this tank in 62a spots without the bounces (I.E. not relying on turret or anything) and playing opportunistically rather than forcefully

Nah I won't be poking anything with the Leo's -6 depression or playing open field with its lack of armor. I feel that controlled engagement is the best playstyle for the Leo PT

Nah I won't be poking anything with the Leo's -6 depression or playing open field with its lack of armor. I feel that controlled engagement is the best playstyle for the Leo PT

So you'll be sniping? Seems like you're one of the pubbies that plays 1-2 line on Prokh in a medium when you're so much more useful in the middle.

A lot of maps don't allow you to constantly second line all the time which will make you 1) useless for longer periods of time because you're gonna have trouble keeping up if you're too far from chokepoints/general engagements and 2) you won't be using your HP at all. I recommend not taking damage early since it's got ammorack issues, but it's still important for your team because otherwise they'll be at a disadvantage in close-ups and you will lose more engagements than you would being in them. For a paper tank -6 dep might seem bad but people make -3 work on the chinese which most meds can pen through hulldown anyway. You also have incredibly high pen which makes you ideal for shooting the big stuff on the enemy team by flanking heavy engagements and stuff, a lot more productive than sniping. 

I don't find this tank a sniper at all looking at the specs and I don't think I'll play it like one. I think you're missing out on both damage and appreciation of the tank if you limit its capacity to being a sniper all the time

Does front-line sniper sound paradoxical? Because I mentioned that I prefered to be in the forward bush sniping, not behind HT. Of course on Prokh/Fisherman I'd be in the middle, playing opportunistic sniper. With this playstyle rammer isn't really necessary. But say, on Sand River I'd not be poking and spotting at 200m the way a T-54 would, instead I would position myself on the ridge some 400m away from the enemy. With Binocular set up I'd be able to spot the enemy coming and maintain the distance.

Tbh, "front-line sniper" sounds silly and makes me sigh every time you write it.

If your playstyle works for you, OK, play like that. But your equipment choice is bad for that kind of play and worse on maps that don't support it at all. If you are engaging targets at 400-440 meters then you could do it so much better with optics because they don't require you to sit still and still give you enough view range.

Also, you cannot reliably snipe from 400m without being spotted at that tier because every tank on your tier and above it has enough view range to spot you if you are not in a double or triple bush. And in every opportunity where you can just sit and snipe GLD and Binocs are useless, and a rammer is the best thing you can have.

Let's say you find a bush that can be used for that play (already rare like a virgin hooker). You need to sit in for 2+ seconds for binocs to work, then you need to reverse 15+ meters and fire your gun. The aim time difference of a GLD+VS setup after reversing for 15m would be almost nonexistant to the one with just the VS+Rammer, while the reload difference would be significant. With a rammer you could often spam another shot before the vehicle disappears, and with optics you could save even more time compared to a setup with binocs when repeating the process.

With this playstyle rammer isn't really necessary.

>Plays tank with slow load and poor DPM

>Tries to justify not boosting reload however he can

>wut

I just want to discuss the viability of my loadout.

1. With 429m of VR and considering even HT got a few percents of moving camo, I doubt the Leo wound be able to spot anything over 400m

2. Meanwhile, @over 400m, considering most MT has 440m of VR, the Leo can often fire unspotted with camo skill and paint. Against HT it's just pure invisisniping.

3. The Leo is not a brawler most of the time and does not need sustained firing, so IMO we should equip to improve its strength, not to minimize its weakness and then play according to its strength

1. How many maps really offer you opportunities to fire at extreme ranges (unless you have a spotter)?

2. You camo snipe heavies even with only optics. In fact you have an easier time doing it since you don't need to wait for binocs. You should also have more than 429m VR because simple natural progression of crew skills without much training allows you to get the 3rd skill while on the PTA. Personally I also find most looong range shots iffy: Can't aim for weak spots reliably enough

3. There are a lot of situations in which you will simply need to trade some HP to get something done. Due to stronk map design you can't always play to the PTA's strengths while also having a strong influence on the battle.

I mean you could make a point for the binocs if they suit your style despite optics being useful in more situations (there are only two maps on which I appreciate binocs over optics: Lake Ville and Malinovka).
But the benefit of an EGL is so minuscle (how often will you really feel those 0,2 seconds), that the advantages a rammer offers are too good to pass up on. Especially now that they buffed the PTA's reload below 10 seconds. I could understand not taking a rammer before when it had a 13 secondish reload (ideal to take a shot, go dark and poke a different spot just as you are reloaded. RU meds rekt you hard 1v1 tho), but now? If you get yolod by a RU med driver in a bad spot you can still put the hurt on him before you die. --> PTA DPM is no longer bad enough to warrant using the tanks other strengths before maximizing DPM.

I've played 30 games in this steaming pile of crap and I'm already beginning to give some thought to just free-XPing the Leo 1.

My loadout is vert stabs, rammer and vents with the 105mm and top turret. Suspension and engine are stock. 

The gimped mobility isn't what kills the tank for me, it's that the gun quite literally can't hit anything. The published 0.32 dispersion is complete bullshit; if you look in Tank Inspector, it's got horrendous bloom values, far worse than any of its tier 9 medium competitors. The Centurion 7/1, which gets a lot of complaints on this forum, is much more accurate in practice.

The PTA can't snapshot, at all, in a meta that emphasizes and rewards snapshots. Couple the bad accuracy to the 9-second reload and I find myself holding back on shots I'd have no hesitation about letting go with the Cent, never mind something like the Patton or the T-54. Even the slightest twitch of the turret, and even moreso the hull, will blow up the reticle and put a shot on the path to Pluto.

And it goes almost without saying that it can't take hits. Pretty much anything will rack it. A Russian 122 is particularly bad news, but even an Ru-251 can pen a PTA down by just putting 2 shots through the front and then beating the Leo's now-doubled reload. Tier 7s such as the SU-122-44 and the A45 completely outclass it.

If you are trying to snapshot at any distance further than 100m in the Leo PTA then you are doing it wrong. Being a sneaky, camo sniping bastard then running around in the dying stages of the game is it's sort of neiche. Also comparing it to the T-54 isn't fair as the T-54 is such an easy to play tank anybody can do reasonably well in it. Also comparing a tier 9 medium to a tier 7 TD is a bad analogy. The SU-122-44 is admittedly a good tank, but it's effectiveness in a tier 9 game can be questionable.

I feel you about the armour, but it is what it is. It's designed to evade and move, not hull down like the Russian hover meds. But saying it's worse than a A45 with a 17 pounder is beyond silly and makes me think you aren't clicking with the tank, rather than it being bad at EVERYTHING like you claim.

I've played 30 games in this steaming pile of crap and I'm already beginning to give some thought to just free-XPing the Leo 1.

Everyone says that if you don't learn the play style on the Leo PTA, you'll hate the Leo1.  Watch some twitch streamers like Barks_Internally that play the Leo1 a lot.  You'll pick up on the proper play style/positioning pretty quick.  Once you do, it's sooo easy to get 2k damage and purple stats in the PTA that it will feel like stat padding.  

I'm very bad at snapshots and grew to hate Kharkov because of the PTA.  But on maps like the old Swamp, Redshire, etc., it really shines.  

Most of the positions in Yeung_Lean/Kolni's thread worked for me in the PTA so you could try looking there as well.

This is one of the tanks I want to get back and finish my 3rd MOE on. Its pretty freakin good, minus ammo rack! 

Equip: VStab, Rammer, Vent
Consume: Large Med, Repair, Chocolate

This is one of the tanks I want to get back and finish my 3rd MOE on. Its pretty freakin good, minus ammo rack! 

I was at 93% at one point before derping my way to finish my 500 battles and dropping to 86%.

But you couldn't pay me to buy it back for a 3 MOE push.

I'm a shitter, but I have been enjoying the PTA. I messed up and did not free XP the mods. It needs it bad. I use Optics instead of Vents. I don't want to open a whole can of worms. But should I be using Vents instead? Also how about Leopard 1?

Thanks