Solono

Anime Thread 2.0

Can you link your MAL/animedb/whatever? Also, what genre?

I actually don't have one, I guess I ought to finally sit down and make one.

EDIT: Genre... not sure. Anything I guess. Just good.

EDIT2:

Can you link your MAL/animedb/whatever? Also, what genre?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cunicularius

I actually don't have one, I guess I ought to finally sit down and make one.

EDIT: Genre... not sure. Anything I guess. Just good.

MAL is incredibly useful, would recommend.

With the spring season just around the corner, it might be a good time to catch up on Gintama, Oregairu or Ghost in the Shell: SAC since they're all getting continuations. Gintama's really dependent on how much time you have though since there's already 252 episodes of it but if you no-life anime like me - finished all 77 episodes of the Kingdom series in 4 days lel - then you can still make it before the new season airs. You've probably already seen me raving about how Oregairu is (in my opinion) the best highschool romance/SoL. GITS is a must-see classic as well, defining the cyberpunk genre and having influences on other media as far as Hollywood. I think I recommended Mawaru Penguindrum a while back as well but dunno if you ever got round to watching it.

Kingdom 2 was really good, surprisingly. Watching some of the battle strategies kinda made me want to pick up tanks again lol.

MAL is incredibly useful, would recommend.

With the spring season just around the corner, it might be a good time to catch up on Gintama, Oregairu or Ghost in the Shell: SAC since they're all getting continuations. Gintama's really dependent on how much time you have though since there's already 252 episodes of it but if you no-life anime like me - finished 77 episodes of the Kingdom series in 4 days lel - then you can still make it before the new season airs. You've probably already seen me raving about how Oregairu is (in my opinion) the best highschool romance/SoL. GITS is a must-see classic as well, defining the cyberpunk genre and having influences on other media as far as Hollywood. I think I recommended Mawaru Penguindrum a while back as well but dunno if you ever got round to watching it.

Kingdom 2 was really good as well. Watching some of the battle strategies kinda made me want to pick up tanks again lol.

I loved GITS! Are they really continuing it?

I'll add everything else to the list.

And I did get a good way through Penguindrum, but then I got preoccupied studying.

I loved GITS! Are they really continuing it?

I'll add everything else to the list.

And I did get a good way through Penguindrum, but then I got preoccupied studying.

Holy shit, someone else that's actually watched GITS? Respect. That show doesn't nearly get as much credit as it should deserve.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture

I hear it's meant to be an adaptation of the Arise films (which I never got round to watching) and potentially expanding on the material as well. Pretty excited for it tbh.

Regarding Penguindrum, it picks up really fast in the second half. The first half is pretty crazy with all the various plot devices but by the end, everything will make sense (I hope). It's #4 on my list hehe.

I've seen have of Standalone Complex and I saw half of the original movie. I should probably finish the shit I start...

Would be a good motto for me as well. It's been like 4 months and I still haven't finished Nichijou and K-On!!. Really don't think they're my cup of tea but I do need to finish them at some point for completion's sake. SAC was really good though, just go back and marathon it haha.

Also, thank you to whoever suggested watching Daily Lives of Highschool Boys. I started it last night and had no idea it was by Sunrise which made me incredibly happy (and also unable to sleep lawl). It's basically everything Nichijou should have been (in my opinion) since it feels like I'm watching a crossover between Gintama and Nichijou which is a fantastic combination. Hell, as soon as Hidenori and Yoshitake opened their mouths, I was like: "Gintoki...Sougo...is that you?! O. M. G."

Watching this has reminded me just how much I've missed Gintama's comedy, absolutely can't wait for Spring now.

Here's an interesting bit of news as well. Anthem of the Heart is an original anime film from the staff behind AnoHana and Toradora! which is scheduled for September 19. Sounds good? It gets better. They've picked A-1 Pictures as the animation studio. A-1 used to be a bit of a rollercoaster in previous years, churning out both masterpieces (like Shinsekai Yori) and terribad shows equally. Recently though, their consistency has been incredibly impressive (Shigatsu and Saekano anyone?) so I'm pretty psyched for this film even though it's likely we won't see it uploaded and subbed until next year. Source.

Also, thank you to whoever suggested watching Daily Lives of Highschool Boys. I started it last night and had no idea it was by Sunrise which made me incredibly happy (and also unable to sleep lawl). It's basically everything Nichijou should have been (in my opinion) since it feels like I'm watching a crossover between Gintama and Nichijou which is a fantastic combination. Hell, as soon as Hidenori and Yoshitake opened their mouths, I was like: "Gintoki...Sougo...is that you?! O. M. G."

Watching this has reminded me just how much I've missed Gintama's comedy, absolutely can't wait for Spring now.

You're whalecum

:^

You watched it?  :O

Tried to watch western Cartoons but couldn't find one that clicks so I went with Penguindrum instead. didn't get far yesterday but sure don't regret it.

I'm a little concerned about the sister brother thing going places though. But I don't care much because at the moment it it perfectly serves any need for kawaii peguins there ever was, dayum I love penguins.

(last time we went to the zoo with my gf's niece and nephew I was more exited than they where, and they loved it ^^)

Y no Futurama??? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Or maybe you already watched it.

I watched a lot of Futrama when I still watched TV but in no particular order so I'm missing episodes all over the place and would need to start from scratch :>

Holy shit, someone else that's actually watched GITS? Respect. That show doesn't nearly get as much credit as it should deserve.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture

I hear it's meant to be an adaptation of the Arise films (which I never got round to watching) and potentially expanding on the material as well. Pretty excited for it tbh.

Regarding Penguindrum, it picks up really fast in the second half. The first half is pretty crazy with all the various plot devices but by the end, everything will make sense (I hope). It's #4 on my list hehe.

Wait, the general inhabitor of this thread hasn't watched everyting there is from GITS? WHAAAAT?

Guys, reallly?

Viva la Penguin.

Are there any shows that compare to LoGH in scale?  I want more giant space battles.

Just about any Gundam series except for 8th MS Team can give you that. Also, Macross if you can look past silly singing and just see cool fites. I know there are a few others but for some reason I can't remember them right now. I'll have to look over my MAL and let you know. 

Edit: Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars, Knights of Sidonia

We got a newborn here guys.

Okay Penguindrum has everything I love and cherish in an anime.

kawaii Penguins - check

more kawaii Penguins - check

a soundtrack that kills it - check

bat shit crazy chick that isn't annoying - check

storyline that won't let me stop watching - check

Schrödinger's cat reference - check

subplot that is interesting enough to watch for on its own - check

Guys I'll need more Penguin anime after this. Might have discovered an addiction problem regarding penguins. Help plx :>

Wait, the general inhabitor of this thread hasn't watched everyting there is from GITS? WHAAAAT?

Guys, reallly?

Yo, cut me some slack. There's still a ton of good anime I haven't gotten round to watching yet. After finishing GITS: SAC, I looked for the Arise films but they hadn't been uploaded at that time. So while waiting for them to be released, I got sidetracked by all the other anime I was watching and eventually forgot all about it until I saw the lineup for next season.

kawaii Penguins - check

more kawaii Penguins - check

a soundtrack that kills it - check

bat shit crazy chick that isn't annoying - check

storyline that won't let me stop watching - check

Schrödinger's cat reference - check

subplot that is interesting enough to watch for on its own - check

Guys I'll need more Penguin anime after this. Might have discovered an addiction problem regarding penguins. Help plx :>

Just wait until you finish it, look up an analysis and be blown away by the symbolism, rich themes and the intricacy of the plot. Penguindrum ticks all the boxes which is why it's an absolute masterpiece in my book. It just makes me sad that a lot of people haven't seen it since it's not really mainstream anime.

I don't know of any other penguin anime but you can always watch Yuri Kuma Arashi with me afterwards (I'm just waiting for it to finish airing so I can marathon it). From what I've heard, it's about lesbians and bears (which look like teddies). HOWEVER, it's also an Ikuhara work (the same mastermind behind Penguindrum) and comes pretty highly recommended. It's slipped under the radar somewhat since a lot of people will have dropped it due to the craziness of the premise.

Here we go guys, Oregairu S2's new key visuals! #HYPE

f01_20150318004812267.jpg

Yo, cut me some slack. There's still a ton of good anime I haven't gotten round to watching yet. After finishing GITS: SAC, I looked for the Arise films but they hadn't been uploaded at that time. So while waiting for them to be released, I got sidetracked by all the other anime I was watching and eventually forgot all about it until I saw the lineup for next season.

Just wait until you finish it, look up an analysis and be blown away by the symbolism, rich themes and the intricacy of the plot. Penguindrum ticks all the boxes which is why it's an absolute masterpiece in my book. It just makes me sad that a lot of people haven't seen it since it's not really mainstream anime.

I don't know of any other penguin anime but you can always watch Yuri Kuma Arashi with me afterwards (I'm just waiting for it to finish airing so I can marathon it). From what I've heard, it's about lesbians and bears (which look like teddies). HOWEVER, it's also an Ikuhara work (the same mastermind behind Penguindrum) and comes pretty highly recommended. It's slipped under the radar somewhat since a lot of people will have dropped it due to the craziness of the premise.

f01_20150318004812267.jpg

I have held off on watching this and Haganai because it was recommended by someone who has done a lot more than he knows to me. Never finished the first episode for either show, might need to get onto that. This isn't really uncommon for me , as for example (much Knobby's dismay), I started Baccano 2 years ago and never got past the fourth episode. 

What I find more disturbing though, is the fact that Kraft makes his great return on a TUESDAY, and does NOT immediately start gushing over Yona. GTFO and bring us the real Kraft! 

New avvy for Altorax btw, as I'm posting this.

You are excused then.

Can't wait to continue watching more tomorrow. Its a shame I have a very important presentation tomorrow.... so 6 hours of sleep for once.

Watched the first episode of Yuri Kuma Arashi and wasn't sure what to do with it. Loli, Yuri, bears and gore result in a somewhat confusing combination.

Probably going to watch his older stuff too.... do I remember correctly that he also made something about Sailor Moon? oO

Next season HYPE, so many good shows.... even if half of them turn out bad there are still 10 shows I'd watch no matter what.

On another note... Highschool DxD what the fuck is happening, a friend of mine told me to watch it (lol nice try bro, but for the millionth time how about erm... no?) and he had basically what I just can describe as the unholy combination of a nervous breakdown and a laugh attack. Seems they took it to the next level of stupidity. From the few bits I could understand they got rid of anything close to a story and its 100% boobs now.... considering the artstyle of that show it must be pretty damn disgusting to watch.

I have held off on watching this and Haganai because it was recommended by someone who has done a lot more than he knows to me. Never finished the first episode for either show, might need to get onto that. This isn't really uncommon for me , as for example (much Knobby's dismay), I started Baccano 2 years ago and never got past the fourth episode. 

What I find more disturbing though, is the fact that Kraft makes his great return on a TUESDAY, and does NOT immediately start gushing over Yona. GTFO and bring us the real Kraft! 

Hahaha same for me. Steins Gate, TTGL, Baccano, Samurai Champloo so many great animes I've started and never finished on the first try.

Some of them still rot on my plan to watch list...

Kraft is probably busy padding tonks thanks to the recent clan WN8 thread  :>

Ran across this on my quest for quality anime that is less well known/popular. This show instantly clicked with me, it's incredible well made and marvelously fascinating in it's strangeness. The transformation sequence is reminiscent of blasting off into psychedelic hyperspace, Mesmerizing.

I have held off on watching this

I'm guessing you meant Penguindrum? Or did you mean Oregairu? :3

Also, can't really blame you for Baccano! since it's a pretty messy premise. You get thrown into the middle of a jumbled plot with a huge cast of characters that you're just expected to remember - I dropped it after a few episodes the first time I watched it as well. Attempted it again later on and just blasted through it.

Can never get enough. Keeping it fresh yo. Probably gonna cycle through various Oregairu pics in the next few days cuz #HYPE

Watched the first episode of Yuri Kuma Arashi and wasn't sure what to do with it. Loli, Yuri, bears and gore result in a somewhat confusing combination.

Probably going to watch his older stuff too.... do I remember correctly that he also made something about Sailor Moon? oO

On another note... Highschool DxD what the fuck is happening, a friend of mine told me to watch it (lol nice try bro, but for the millionth time how about erm... no?) and he had basically what I just can describe as the unholy combination of a nervous breakdown and a laugh attack. Seems they took it to the next level of stupidity. From the few bits I could understand they got rid of anything close to a story and its 100% boobs now.... considering the artstyle of that show it must be pretty damn disgusting to watch.

He did do a fair bit of work on Sailor Moon but the piece that he first drew a lot of attention for was Revolutionary Girl Utena, which I still haven't got round to watching yet.

Don't even start with Highschool DxD. I tried to get one of my irl friends to watch Gintama the other day (he reads manga and watches some anime but not quite at weaboo level) and he refused because: "rewatching Highschool DxD before new season". Should've known since he's a SAO fanboi as well... *sigh*

Ran across this on my quest for quality anime that is less well known/popular. This show instantly clicked with me, it's incredible well made and marvelously fascinating in it's strangeness. The transformation sequence is reminiscent of blasting off into psychedelic hyperspace, Mesmerizing.

If you need another one try Arakawa under the bridge.

He did do a fair bit of work on Sailor Moon but the piece that he first drew a lot of attention for was Revolutionary Girl Utena, which I still haven't got round to watching yet.

Don't even start with Highschool DxD. I tried to get one of my irl friends to watch Gintama the other day (he reads manga and watches some anime but not quite at weaboo level) and he refused because: "rewatching Highschool DxD before new season". Should've known since he's a SAO fanboi as well... *sigh*

I kind of relied on you to do the test run for me... oh well what should go wrong it has good ratings despite female-male crossdressing and a little dusty artstyle.

Sounds like more of a weeabo than you and I.

Hiiimooo himo himo hiiimmmoooo~!

this :D

and Kappa mayor best mayor.

Black Lagoon unrated? How could you.... :P

Sorry when I first found Mal I had already banked 80 something shows so I didn't take the time to rate them all. I usually like to rate it right after I finish the last episode so the impact the show had on me is fresh. I updated it for you though.

If you need another one try Arakawa under the bridge.

I kind of relied on you to do the test run for me... oh well what should go wrong it has good ratings despite female-male crossdressing and a little dusty artstyle.

Pls, not more stuff to add to my watch-list D:

Lawl, I'll check out Utena after I finish Daily Lives. Will keep you posted.