Solono

Anime Thread 2.0

I should probably not spoil you guys any further until CR gets the sub for episode 24 sorted, however what must be said is that every time when I plan on giving up anime as a hobby, something came up to reignite my faith in the medium. Last time it was Madoka, and this time round Shirobako.

4ef7c082.jpg

Any of you guys watched the Tokyo Ghoul finale yet?

What a fucking load of nihilistic crap! Life's full of pain, suffering and loss but just deal with it? What kinda of bullshit message is that? Why did we watch 12 episodes of this shit to reach this sort of conclusion? Hide rescues Kaneki so that he regains his humanity and then chooses to die as a human rather than live like a ghoul? Fucking really? And the scene where Kaneki's carrying Hide's body down the road....see if they took away the acoustic version of Unravel playing in the background, it would be an absolutely worthless moment. Bloody terrible writing and a goddamn waste of time.

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT!

...Yup Studio Pierrot once again demonstrating its prowess and well-known reputation at nippon animation... God fucking damnit...

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT!

...Yup Studio Pierrot once again demonstrating its prowess and well-known reputation at nippon animation... God fucking damnit...

sorry yona stole all your resources :3 :3

OMGOMGOMGOMG SAEKANO EP 12

THEY'RE COVERING SORAIRO DAYS FROM TTGL!

Heard the intro and literally flipped my shit haha!

Gimme season 2 pl0x.

ISKPs.gif

Glad I dropped it

Wish I was capable of dropping anime. Once I've invested time into a show, I feel like I'm obligated to at least finish it and then talk about how shit they are instead. That or I'll put them on hold for a year or two.

lol i doubt my colleagues at work would be happy with me watching anime at work, even if it's during lunch hour XD

for sum reason there are a ton of ppl at muh werk who watch anime and read azn picture books

woooo Saekano ep 12 is out!

You nearly gave me a heart attack.

Thank god its still 11. I'd smash a couple of things I'd miss tomorrow if this would have been the last episode.

Thank god its still 11. I'd smash a couple of things I'd miss tomorrow if this would have been the last episode.

Dude, it's a double episode. Pretty sure I already posted something saying that a couple of days ago. Sry breh.

nubs i've already watched both!

nubs

What's with the plural? I watched it before you did :P

Strange can't find 12 anywhere.... streaming site scrubs. Oh well I'll just look for it tomorrow.

Finished Watching Samurai Flamenco

Imagine you have entire series of kamen rider, super sentai, ultraman and other toku stuff. from beginning to the end. and then compress them into 22 episode of anime while trying to keep all of the climax, the drama and the twisted that even make Night Shyamalan speechless. It pretty much non stop RollerCoaster.of Toku history.

tl;dr

fclqNWQ.jpg

everyone should watch it

Interesting, gonna watch

I have to admit this forum is pure gold

Just take a look at this gem, I nearly died laughing.

just in case not eglible for younger audience and probably NSFW if you have Russian coworkers:

/edit: I should probably not have run the title through Google translate.... someone call me an ambulance.

Might have to remove it now...

From my favourite blog site, RandomC, on Saekano episodes 11/12 and final impressions,

For the purposes of our discussion I’m going to treat episodes 11 & 12 (aired together over one hour) as one thing, since Michiru’s arc resolves neatly into the end of the anime as a whole. I’m only going to go over it briefly, because I want to get to the final impressions.

First order of business is: Performing Sorairo Days! Has it really been seven years since Gurren Lagann? Eight years? Way to make me feel my age, Saekano. It was certainly a pleasant surprise; I was certainly expecting one last shout out in an anime that has not been shy about referencing other shows, but for them to go that far back (and more importantly, to a song I instantly recognised) tickled my nerd bones. It seems I’m totally an otaku too, and that Tomoya was right; it doesn’t matter who is performing it, otaku will rock out to it regardless.

I’d like to say that Michiru has finally gotten over her antipathy for otaku, but that’s not really the case. Michiru, like Utaha, wanted Tomoya to leave his world and enter hers, but finds out that they actually overlap. Rather than learning to understand a ‘different culture’, like Megumi does, Michiru instead discovers that she was one of ‘them’ all along. What bombshell are you going to drop next, Tomoya? ‘Hey, Michiru, the Easter Bunny isn’t real and you’re adopted’. Michiru actually took the revelation about her otaku indoctrination and her alleged ‘best friends‘ selling her out a lot better than I expected, to be sure (though if she couldn’t tell what an event called ‘Anilight‘ at an establishment decoratedlike this is, then caveat emptor). I guess we didn’t really have time for the concert to bomb and work up more drama, so with a bit of Standard Protagonist Encouragement (and perhaps the power of love), the concert goes without a hitch. It was no Live a Live, sure, but it did send off Michiru’s arc with a bang, and she deserves it after waiting so long to be introduced.

The lesson, I guess, is that otaku are just people. Michiru makes the mistake of folding all of otaku-dom into a single archetype when they are all, like her Tomo, individuals in their own right. This ties into one of the big themes of Saekano: archetypes, like the tsundere childhood friend, the aloof senpai, or the free-spirited cousin, are all just wrappers around what is essentially still a human being. The humble anime writer is free to focus on their specific ‘attributes’, but at the end of the day they still need to do the hard work and give them real characterisation and explore their personal circumstances. Indeed, Saekano never rejects these archetypes—in fact, it thoroughly embraces them—but always makes sure there is something more. In Michiru’s case, she may have had the least time to show that, but under her casual demeanor her subtleties—her shared dream with her friends, her personal insecurities—do shine out.

Final impression

I freely admit it: I enjoy clever shows, and by ‘clever shows’ I mean anime that do something interesting with itself, especially in ways that challenge audience preconceptions. Saenai Heroine no Sodateka is ‘clever’ in that it is multi-layered. It purports to be a standard harem comedy—and it totally is—but also manages to sneak in something more, so that it’s never just harem comedy. It plays so many tropes entirely straight, making use of the otaku male lead, the archetypal haremettes, the sexualised fanservice, and all the one-size-fits-all utensils of the writer’s toolbox, but is always aware of how it’s using them. It was very keen on commenting on itself, but never to the extent of being fully deconstructive, and parodied without descending into outright satire. In a way, Saekano is having its cake and eating it too, using all the harem comedy devices to appeal to that audience, but also offering something for watchers like me, who have already watched a few too many of those and need a different angle. And for the most part, it worked! That’s not always guaranteed with shows as secretly arrogant asSaekano.

A lot of Saekano‘s success in this is owed to being subtle, not in that it’s particularly understated, but because it usually has something going on underneath the surface. This is embodied in Megumi, who is a subtle character by design. She does not adhere to an immediately obvious archetype, does not have any exaggerated emotional cues, and does not narrate her internal monologue at the drop of a hat. She is ‘flat’, because she is written first and foremost as if she was real person, and real people, before you get to know them, are all flat. Yet she still manages to play the part of the ‘heroine’ extremely effectively, not by becoming more sparkly, but by sticking to her strengths. Look at thesimple chemistry she has with Tomoya. Observe her easy confidence. Call her innuendo-ed lectures a form of passive-aggression if you want, but there’s no denying that she knows how to push Tomoya’s buttons. Utaha knows: Michiru may have made some strong attacks, but Megumi is by far the greatest threat.

Megumi gets her character development just like all the other girls, but she gets it while riding along other character arcs and helping Tomoya. And it culminates in this final set of episode, which sees Megumi more proactive than she has ever been. She started as an entirely passive actor, but now on her own volition learns how to script. Yet she still remains true to her character, content to only nudge Tomoya, excercising her influence from the rear. Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata - How to Train a Boring Girl to Be an Heroine - is not, as Tomoya thought, about transforming a flat character into something dramatic, but about discovering how the flat character can be a perfectly fine heroine in her own right. On such a note, Saekano ends appropriately (but not without one last show of disrespect for itself). Blessing Software may only havefinished one route, but it’s without doubt the most important one. Call her Meguri, Ruri, or Megumi, it doesn’t matter. She’s been the heroine from the very beginning.

Death Parade was so good, that if it went to Quindecim it would immediately go to reincarnation....

inb4 it gets handed to Pierrot...

tumblr_inline_nf226yLrvR1slinvg.gif

MaBxxUm.gif

Give me one reason to watch Shinsekai Yori

I even watched all of d-frag over Yori.

Because it's probably the best dystopian anime ever made? Because it's an incredible take on existentialism and the nature of humanity? Because it's a powerful study on the nature of fear in the human psyche and its influences/implications on society? Because it has one of the most beautiful EDs of all time?

It makes me so incredibly sad that you've listed it with the likes of Blade Dance and Absolute Duo.

Also, 5 days to go until Oregairu S2! #thehypecontinues

Second promo vid:

http://youtu.be/Dp5Mkbk0zdw

I have to admit this forum is pure gold

Just take a look at this gem, I nearly died laughing.

just in case not eglible for younger audience and probably NSFW if you have Russian coworkers:

/edit: I should probably not have run the title through Google translate.... someone call me an ambulance.

Might have to remove it now...

All i hear is "CYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYAT"

Currently watching Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. Kirino is such a roller coaster of emotions.

Because it's probably the best dystopian anime ever made? Because it's an incredible take on existentialism and the nature of humanity? Because it's a powerful study on the nature of fear in the human psyche and its influences/implications on society? Because it has one of the most beautiful EDs of all time?

It makes me so incredibly sad that you've listed it with the likes of Blade Dance and Absolute Duo.

Also, 5 days to go until Oregairu S2! #thehypecontinues

Second promo vid:

http://youtu.be/Dp5Mkbk0zdw

While Shinseaki Yori was good I can't agree with it being the best dystopian anime. Not as long as Trigun, Vampire Hunter D, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyse, Knights of Sidonia, Ghost in the Shell exist.

In addition to that you really can't expect someone who likes Blade Dance and Absolute duo (WTF? How?) to match his taste with the setting.

All i hear is "CYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYATCYKABLYAT"

But he puts all his heart into it. And this really is impressive in a very funny way. ^^