Solono

Anime Thread 2.0

I wouldn't put much stock in MAL reviews though -- they're pretty much considered the dregs by any sensible watcher.  These are the same guys who, quite recently, rated Code Geass as a masterpiece over a Miyazaki movie.

I saw all 20 episodes, I guess I was a masochist back then. Here's how I see it: Imagine you're a little kid and your mom's feeding you candy. Just as you are about to bite down on it, she pulls it away and you don't get a taste of anything. Every episode was a fucking tease, that didn't even lead anywhere after TWENTY MOTHERFUCKING EPISODES. Now we have a season 2 to look forward to...

The manga isn't much better by the way, and it's actually elected to ignore the locket plotline for months at a time.

And the final key?  It's not even held by the girls shown so far, but someone introduced much later (you see her in the Marika ending around episode 18-ish): his onee-san, who's also both his new class adviser and the leader of a Hong Kong Triad family.

I wouldn't put much stock in MAL reviews though -- they're pretty much considered the dregs by any sensible watcher.  These are the same guys who, quite recently, rated Code Geass as a masterpiece over a Miyazaki movie.

An overall rating of 6 speaks directly to the Nope-Badger in me. I don't get to complain about it.

While Miyazaki might be very good, there are quite a few genres where he isn't king. His goal has always been to create anime that is his own. Basically Anime and Miyazaki's Anime are two entirely different things. ^^

An overall rating of 6 speaks directly to the Nope-Badger in me. I don't get to complain about it.

No comment from me.  Regios is pretty meh, as apparently it butchered some storylines from its source (and the actual execution wasn't too good either).

Also, HAH.  So happy that sequels to Is the Order A Rabbit, Kin-Iro Mosaic, Non-Non Biyori, and Yuru-Yuri are all apparently getting aired this year.

tried asking the MAL guys again but found it in an instant on my own. Damn I'm gud @ Google

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4186/Chrome_Shelled_Regios

doesn't sound too bad, where is my plan to watch list... or better not the reviews kind of killed it.

Thanks. I saw the first 2-3 episodes a few years ago... I just couldn't remember...

wtf ur not watching death parade this season?

Yes I do but wasn't feeling ike watching Death Parade until just now.

The picture you posted is indeed a spoiler for the next one :D

Seems like this Paktatkrap dude knows a lot of animu

"Something like that"

also _Knobby has been spamming his channel in ts about Utsuro no hako to zero no maria, so, I guess I'll give it a read over the next month (im super nub for VN's and LN's)

It is literally impossible to read that over the course of a month. Its been 5 days and I've read 4 volumes

While Miyazaki might be very good, there are quite a few genres where he isn't king. His goal has always been to create anime that is his own. Basically Anime and Miyazaki's Anime are two entirely different things. ^^

hi i'm not really a miyazaki fan :$

Shinkai master race

I am trying to find an anime. I remember seeing a few episodes of it and it looked interesting... Can anyone help? This is what I remember...

People lived in giant cities that moved arcoss the planet's surface on giant spider walkers. Each city was like a separate country and when two got close there was usually fighting. The planet surface itself was unlivable. People were able to travel between the cities on these bus caravans that ran along the surface. And there was something about extra dimensional creatures.

tried asking the MAL guys again but found it in an instant on my own. Damn I'm gud @ Google

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4186/Chrome_Shelled_Regios

doesn't sound too bad, where is my plan to watch list... or better not the reviews kind of killed it.

Something I could have actually contributed, but I didn't realize we had a round two thread so....lol. Hi guys, I found it now.

Well, that's me finished Nisekoi. In spite of myself and what most of you guys said, I actually enjoyed it a fair bit (shit taste confirmed?). I'm not just saying that because I have a thing for romcoms - there are a few things Nisekoi genuinely does quite well.

In anime of this genre, the plot typically follows a generalized archetype where once a harem is established (to basically ignite 'best gurl' arguments from the viewers), we see the MC's preference for a certain girl grow in order to actually demonstrate development in their relationship, ultimately culminating in the end of the route (coined as 'romance' in order to satisfy said viewers). And then we have Nisekoi where they throw that out the window.

It's a never-ending cycle of romantic teasers and cockblocks revolving around both girls equally (cause fuck Marika - she's basically a side character) which makes this show the 'perfect' harem in terms of ideology - you work up the fans for each specific girl with the buildup, cockblock them, but then build up their hope again when the other girl gets cockblocked as well. And then there's the locket and the keys. What this accomplishes plot-wise is that until the locket gets fixed, Raku CAN'T pick a girl because there's a chance he'll be forfeiting his true love - which I think is absolutely brilliant. So yeah, you guys were right in the sense you need to be a bit of a masochist to enjoy getting teased and denied like that. However, from a different perspective, you could also be a bit of a sadist and laugh at the thought of all the poor souls who get incredibly frustrated from watching this.

This then leads on to my next point - when a show is as full of tropes as Nisekoi is, I can't help but wonder if it's just trying to be 'meta' and entertain people or if it's trying to accomplish something more. But with a title like "False Love", I'm inclined to believe that it's really just parodying romcoms in general and mocking people at how gullible they are by being led on so easily with such cheap comedy. So in conclusion, I believe that Nisekoi's writer is really just a sadistic bastard and I love him for it - 9/10 effort.

As a sidenote, I reckon it would've been a lot funnier if the girls had lockets and Raku had the key but I think even the dumbest viewers would notice they were getting trolled with such obvious innuendo.

It's ironic, I watched Nisekoi to get away from thinking critically about anime and yet... *sigh*

Need recommendations on what to watch next: Haikyuu!!, Kaiba, Nodame Cantabile, Sidonia no Kishi or Uchouten Kazoku? Doesn't necessarily have to be from those 5.

It's ironic, I watched Nisekoi to get away from thinking critically about anime and yet... *sigh*

Need recommendations on what to watch next: Haikyuu!!, Kaiba, Nodame Cantabile, Sidonia no Kishi or Uchouten Kazoku? Doesn't necessarily have to be from those 5.

Thinking you might just be interpreting stuff when there is nothing to interpret, or is there? Just like with Kafka. Either the guy was a genius and trying to understand him is bound to fail or this lunatic was his time's biggest troll and deserces more than the respect he got.

+10 for knights of Sidonia

+1 for Uchouten Kazoku if you're not in the mood for death and calamity

Well, that's me finished Nisekoi. In spite of myself and what most of you guys said, I actually enjoyed it a fair bit (shit taste confirmed?). I'm not just saying that because I have a thing for romcoms - there are a few things Nisekoi genuinely does quite well.

In anime of this genre, the plot typically follows a generalized archetype where once a harem is established (to basically ignite 'best gurl' arguments from the viewers), we see the MC's preference for a certain girl grow in order to actually demonstrate development in their relationship, ultimately culminating in the end of the route (coined as 'romance' in order to satisfy said viewers). And then we have Nisekoi where they throw that out the window.

It's a never-ending cycle of romantic teasers and cockblocks revolving around both girls equally (cause fuck Marika - she's basically a side character) which makes this show the 'perfect' harem in terms of ideology - you work up the fans for each specific girl with the buildup, cockblock them, but then build up their hope again when the other girl gets cockblocked as well. And then there's the locket and the keys. What this accomplishes plot-wise is that until the locket gets fixed, Raku CAN'T pick a girl because there's a chance he'll be forfeiting his true love - which I think is absolutely brilliant. So yeah, you guys were right in the sense you need to be a bit of a masochist to enjoy getting teased and denied like that. However, from a different perspective, you could also be a bit of a sadist and laugh at the thought of all the poor souls who get incredibly frustrated from watching this.

This then leads on to my next point - when a show is as full of tropes as Nisekoi is, I can't help but wonder if it's just trying to be 'meta' and entertain people or if it's trying to accomplish something more. But with a title like "False Love", I'm inclined to believe that it's really just parodying romcoms in general and mocking people at how gullible they are by being led on so easily with such cheap comedy. So in conclusion, I believe that Nisekoi's writer is really just a sadistic bastard and I love him for it - 9/10 effort.

As a sidenote, I reckon it would've been a lot funnier if the girls had lockets and Raku had the key but I think even the dumbest viewers would notice they were getting trolled with such obvious innuendo.

Nisekoi S2 next season, I believe.

Anywho, I'd pick up in order of quality/interest:

-Uchouten Kazoku (top 5 anime on my list all time gg no re)

-Nodame Cantabile (and all the seasons)

-Sidonia (in time for S2 next season)

-Kaiba

-Haikyuu!!

Thinking you might just be interpreting stuff when there is nothing to interpret, or is there? Just like with Kafka. Either the guy was a genius and trying to understand him is bound to gail or this lunatic was his time's biggest troll and deserces more than the respect he got.

I dunno, maybe it's not intentional on the part of the writer and maybe I'm just a little bit crazy but there's certainly nothing that contradicts that interpretation. Maybe watching NHK has contaminated my mind (Nihon Harem Kyoukai). *shrugs*

Guess it's Uchouten vs Sidonia. I'll see what mood I'm in after I finish the last Nisekoi OVA and take my pick. Nothing like marathoning a 13 episode series in one day.

Also, just gonna leave this here. [Real Akiba Boyz] are back for more!

Kaiba looks insanely good, how have I never even heard of that show?

I for one, support the decision of watching Uchouten Kazoku. The show is charming. Theatrical. Quirky. Unique. Teasing.

Idk man.. imo they're all good to watch,just pick the genre you feel like watching I suppose

I haven't watched the rest, but Haikyuu!! is my favorite sports anime - I actually like it quite a lot more than Kuroko, and I really like Kuroko.

You sort of DO need to be into sports anime tho to enjoy it - you know, that sort of feel good stuff. "We haven't lost yet!" "The point's not over till the ball hits the ground!" <-- that sort of stuff

(sports anime isn't exactly popular amongst this forums' readers, so obviously no1 recommends it lol)

I haven't watched the rest, but Haikyuu!! is my favorite sports anime - I actually like it quite a lot more than Kuroko, and I really like Kuroko.

You sort of DO need to be into sports anime tho to enjoy it - you know, that sort of feel good stuff. "We haven't lost yet!" "The point's not over till the ball hits the ground!" <-- that sort of stuff

(sports anime isn't exactly popular amongst this forums' readers, so obviously no1 recommends it lol)

Sports anime are incredibly good, its just that nobody seems to watch them. If anyone likes European Football (don't you dare to call it soccer) go watch Giant Killing.

Still planning to watch Hajime no Ippo one day.... a man can dream to have this much free time at hand.

Ippo is intense even from the manga, I liked it. Giant killing is awesum cause its not the typical kind of stroy depicting certain players become oarsum, its showing the team as a whole, loved it.

Kaiba looks insanely good, how have I never even heard of that show?

It's just one of those shows that never made it to being mainstream despite being (apparently) very good. If Yuasa Masaaki's reputation is anything to go by, I'm sure it'll live up to expectations.

I need to watch more sports anime. Only ever got round to watching Ping Pong and Prince of Tennis (lol) but both were really quite enjoyable. I think I'll start Haikyuu now.

Also, is this even possible. Just look at that ranking, lmao.