I mean, the code for that is somewhat done for team battles...

If you have ever played team battles, you would know that teams wait 4min 30s before skilled MM gives up and matches you up to some random team.

If you have ever played team battles, you would know that teams wait 4min 30s before skilled MM gives up and matches you up to some random team.

*2 teams in queue*

*one is full of shitters, one is full of nonshitters*

*mm: "ONOES, DEY GUN GIT SHREKT*

*MM arbitrarily waits 5 minutes, then realizes nobody else is gonna show up*

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

The worst part is, can u imagine if their were 3 teams up and 2 of them were full of shitters? Rip gud team

That sounds more like an issue of an unattractive game mode than an MM issue. Any kind of MM shits its pants if there is too little to work with.

Team battles is also far less frequently played than randoms. I think for extremes there may still be an issue as you describe but not for the general populace. That said 5 minutes to wait for what amounts to less than 7 minutes play time on average (battle time =/= survival time) is unacceptable.

Personal opinion random is perfectly acceptable. Skilled is also perfectly acceptable provided wait times are reduced. Remove MM weight from the equation and just use vehicle tier. Makes the whole thing so much less complicated as there are more possible matches.

The added protection against seal clubs won't work.

-people can make reroll accounts to get into the sheltered mm

-na server already has problems with low population at low tiers

Low tiers will be barren if not enough new people are joining the game

People will get  tired of having tough makes because of the skill based mm setting, or just a desire for seal clubbing. Both will lead to rerolls being created. If the low tier population is low enough the rerolls and new players will be fighting against each other because the mm is struggling to make teams. 

biggest issue i have with WoT is the fact that one team is loaded up with TDS and the other with heavies.  those kind of matches are no fun where one team camps and the other pushes.  the skilled based MM eh dont really care cuz you can win any match (in most cases you wont cuz your team are a bunch of yolo'ers who like to trollalalalala in the middle of an open field).  but the pulled that tread out and are reviewing the comments posted on it and may tweek a few things.  everything is till up in the air with AW.

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?6394-Regarding-the-Matchmaking-Article

biggest issue i have with WoT is the fact that one team is loaded up with TDS and the other with heavies.  those kind of matches are no fun where one team camps and the other pushes.  the skilled based MM eh dont really care cuz you can win any match (in most cases you wont cuz your team are a bunch of yolo'ers who like to trollalalalala in the middle of an open field).  but the pulled that tread out and are reviewing the comments posted on it and may tweek a few things.  everything is till up in the air with AW.

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?6394-Regarding-the-Matchmaking-Article

Skill based or non skill based MM, it doesn't really matter. AW is being built with a "seemingly" completely different attitude. If you read through that forum link you will see that the developers are talking to and listening to the community.  Obviously in the end they will have to make some hard decisions, they can't please everyone. At least it looks like they are trying to make the game a positive experience for as many as possible from the start.

skill based MM - biggest mistake of AW

on the other side hard to say if MM will be able for majority of games to match players of the same lvl (i doubt) but who knows

skilled based MM =

- less differentiation

- WR more narrowed around the avg - and who would like to play game where there is small difference in being good and bad

- from psychological point of view - mankind nature is to win and dominate  - no one want to be average (although in WoT looks like avg or below avg is not such an issue) - its in our nature to improve to be better to win etc.

- if you are good you have right to pawn

- if you want to compare yourself to other good players go play a "special league" or world cup or whatever (football;hockey, basketball any other sport has it like that; even in standard league there are good teams and bad - you are good - you will pawn)

anyhow all depends how it will be in reality as i wrote i highly doubt that MM will find enough players to pair them so most of the games will be without it - on the other side if so that game will have tough times

anyhow AW will have as well a huge playerbase as WoT is on market already for long time and people want some change already - that's the main "problem" of WoT its here already for long time and there is becoming stagnation (but that is normal for all online games except of mecca of them WoW) 

so far AW is not very appealing to me - i like the style of WoT (i m used to that + modern tanks are not anymore so appealing to me)

Please yes. All the green and blue badies yoloing me every battle will be gone from the game and can circlejerk themselves in AW.

They're promising everything the average green baddie wants in WoT without any further explanation of how it's gonna work. If you're stupid enough to believe that then you're most likely too stupid to accept that the WoT MM is totally fine. It gives a huge incentive to become better at the game due to XP rewards while even bad players can progress in it.

In games like DOTA skill based MM is good, but if it is skill based MM in FPS games like WoT or AW there will not be enough baddies for the Unicums to farm off. However, the whole game should be revolving around the whole "teamwork" feature, and they are trying to balance out the classes so no one class is superior to another. 

They are doing a better job than WoT is anyways.

Don't understand how one can argue against a skill based match maker, for example an ELO based one.

"Long queue times"  is a void argument, as if you only have 30 players available for a match, you balance them to two teams. If you have 30k available, you balance them by ELO brackets and vehicles.

ELO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Basically, you get a rating, and whenever you win or lose, your rating is compared to the person you played.

• If you are equal, each player goes up and down the same amount
  • If the winner is stronger by rating than the other player, the winner goes up less than beating an equal opponent, and the loser goes down the same amount
  • If the winner is weaker by rating than the other player, the winner goes up more than beating an equal opponent, and the loser goes down the same amount

Basically, you can't effectively farm rating by playing weak players, because you don't get much from beating them, and you lose a lot when you lose to them.

---

A big question becomes: who's rating do you compare your rating to when there are 29 other players?

A big question becomes: who's rating do you compare your rating to when there are 29 other players?

I'd imagine they'd use a team average, which has problems all its own

I'd imagine they'd use a team average, which has problems all its own

That would be terrible. Essentially means the better you are, the worse your teams WILL be.

I can just imagine the pubbies all being like "we lost cuz our team's unicum wasn't as good as your team's unicum!" and shit like that.

That would be terrible. Essentially means the better you are, the worse your teams WILL be.

I can just imagine the pubbies all being like "we lost cuz our team's unicum wasn't as good as your team's unicum!" and shit like that.

That assumes using ELO to generate the teams, which I don't see happening.

More likely the team would be formed randomly, the team's average would be calculated and then a team with a corresponding average would be found to be opponents

edit;

also keep in mind that pubbie whine assumes AW will allow mods like XVM.  If there are no mods, no one knows who's got what rating, unless they look the person up afterwards

Edited by Kramburglar

That assumes using ELO to generate the teams, which I don't see happening.

More likely the team would be formed randomly, the team's average would be calculated and then a team with a corresponding average would be found to be opponents

Right, I understand that.

Assume you're top 0.1% though. Team Alpha has been formed randomly with some sort of average. To put you on team Beta with corresponding average, the better you are, the WORSE your teammates have to be to compensate. On the reverse side, if you're absolutely trash, you'll actually get a good team to compensate for your shittiness. #rewardedforbeingbad

Right, I understand that.

Assume you're top 0.1% though. Team Alpha has been formed randomly with some sort of average. To put you on team Beta with corresponding average, the better you are, the WORSE your teammates have to be to compensate. On the reverse side, if you're absolutely trash, you'll actually get a good team to compensate for your shittiness. #rewardedforbeingbad

Maybe have a system where the best and the worst player are eliminated from the calculation, and the average is based on the remaining 13?  I'm sure that has a whole host of other issues, just spitballing ideas