I misunderstood what he was saying, I think I'm on the same page now :D

Regardless of how you understood it, elo has no implications as to how the algorithm works.

Regardless of how you understood it, elo has no implications as to how the algorithm works.

When he said being good would mean your teams would be shit, I misunderstood that to mean that he thought the system would look at everyone's elo rating as the team was being formed to make sure the team was "average", hence my comment about that only being the case if elo was looked at as the teams were being generated

It's not a question of elo versus other rating, so much as whether the rating would be used as teams were being formed, or after, I just said elo because that's the rating that's being tossed around currently

Right, I understand that.

Assume you're top 0.1% though. Team Alpha has been formed randomly with some sort of average. To put you on team Beta with corresponding average, the better you are, the WORSE your teammates have to be to compensate. On the reverse side, if you're absolutely trash, you'll actually get a good team to compensate for your shittiness. #rewardedforbeingbad

This is my number one concern about skill MM.  

You are punished for improving.

Every trick and tip and skill you develop means you get stronger and stronger opponents to compensate for it.  

Ideally the game gets more interesting as the average level of player in your games increases, and hopefully that is a net positive.  

When he said being good would mean your teams would be shit, I misunderstood that to mean that he thought the system would look at everyone's elo rating as the team was being formed to make sure the team was "average", hence my comment about that only being the case if elo was looked at as the teams were being generated

It's not a question of elo versus other rating, so much as whether the rating would be used as teams were being formed, or after, I just said elo because that's the rating that's being tossed around currently

You could have said "metric" instead of elo.

Has anyone linked the old analysis Deusmortis did well over a year ago?

IIRC, it showed that in WoT, the more "balanced" in wn7 (I think this was before wn8) a match was, the more likely an unbalanced (roflstomp) game was.

Has anyone linked the old analysis Deusmortis did well over a year ago?

I saw an analysis a while back on the main forums.  It found no statistically significant correlation between chance to win and roflstomps.

I don't want every match to be even -- it just seems like WG splits the pool of players in half to facilitate the MM -- as a result some sessions you are always teamed with tomatoes, some with the blues and some sessions it's pretty even.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to read through the six pages posted here, so I'll just add my own worthless thoughts anyway.

I abhor the idea of skill MM, regardless of whether or not its a balance MM or a braket/separation MM, for a few reasons:

1.I have no faith in any company's ability to measure player skill in a way that won't be vulnerable to abuse, padding, or inflation. You'll inevitably get players who the MM thinks are much better than they actually are.

2. Intentional "stat badders" will completely fuck it up.

3. In a "balance MM" concept, it forces too much pressure and weight on skilled players to *always* perform well. A good player should be entitled to make a mistake once in a while. When the MM designs a match specifically so that almost everything is counting on that one player, that player making one mistake can torpedo the entire team.

Related to the above, if the "high value" player on the team suddenly gets brown rain or a phone call, the team is probably going to be toast. Or if they get ammo racked early on.

4. Bracket MM will probably make queue times annoyingly long, especially at low tiers. I don't want to wait 5 minutes to get into a match if all I want to do is fuck around with a Renault R35.

The added protection against seal clubs won't work.

-people can make reroll accounts to get into the sheltered mm

-na server already has problems with low population at low tiers

Low tiers will be barren if not enough new people are joining the game

People will get  tired of having tough makes because of the skill based mm setting, or just a desire for seal clubbing. Both will lead to rerolls being created. If the low tier population is low enough the rerolls and new players will be fighting against each other because the mm is struggling to make teams.

I disagree. Constantly rerolling to get sheltered MM would have very little purpose unless you plan on putting actual money into each new account you make. The rerolls will still always have a skill advantage over new players, but they won't have multi-perk crews, equipment, and they probably aren't going to be able to afford pure HEAT/APCR loadouts either.

I disagree. Constantly rerolling to get sheltered MM would have very little purpose unless you plan on putting actual money into each new account you make. The rerolls will still always have a skill advantage over new players, but they won't have multi-perk crews, equipment, and they probably aren't going to be able to afford pure HEAT/APCR loadouts either.

If you are wondering what they are talking about here is the article (I was so i looked it up) . http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/03/14032015-qa.html

Even though WG are denying it. If they taking steps like the ones mentioned in the article (ie fucking around with MM to stop seal clubbing/pedotanking) you would have to think MM is under some kind of review. Add to that the questionnaire they put out a little while ago asking reds what they think of MM.

I personally think WG wants to make money and to make money they need more players playing and newbies staying. What's the best way of doing that? One way is to protect newbies from Seal clubbers, which they are trying to do.  Another way would be to make baddies think they are goodies. you are much more likely to hang around if you are having a good time than if you are pulling your hair out because a purple hiding in one of the few bushes left has ripped apart your tank in the first 30 seconds of game play.

They need to offset how much those few purples make them against what all the baddies that are chased out of WOT by the purples are losing them in revenue.

Personally one way or another I think some form of skill based MM is coming.