_Assad

JT Hype train

I've had the JT unlocked for probably a year or two but had no interest in playing it.  However, I've recently been developing my appreciation for armored vehicle and German box tanks in particular.  So this weekend I picked up the JT and played a few games in it.  The armor is ok - enough to generate a decent number of bounces but not quite good enough to be reliable (in particular the non-casemate sections are pretty soft).  The casemate itself isn't all that impressive, but the giant mantlet gives the bad guys a hard time especially if you do the wiggle.

The alpha seems to be enough to scare pubbies to the point where they are hesitant to charge in.  The armor is enough to keep you alive while playing hull down or on corners.  The gun+armor can let you either push hard and crush a flank, or if you are over matched, severely delay and punish the enemy push while your team hopefully wins elsewhere.

Having a high alpha gun that also consistently hits its target is also a nice change from the T30/704.

So I'm 42 games in (over half way to the JPE) and this tank remains super enjoyable.  The gun is so good that it outshines any weaknesses of the tank and is easily my favorite gun on any tank in the game.  The majority of enemies you can just autoaim and snapshot.  When you do have to face some heavy targets the 352 pen APCR cuts through them like butter.

Finishing TD-15.3 - Karelia assault, I waddle up the hill.  Sitting comfortably behind some bushes I can crank out tons of damage.  I just think of trying to do this with a T30 where every other shot would have missed.  Ended with 7500 damage and probably could have gotten more but I was desperate for the third kill to complete the mission.

Top Tier in the City - I smash through an ST-I and E-75 which basically secures the win.  Oh you have armor?  Too bad.

I am honestly torn between the JT and the Tortoise for my favorite box TD. The 704 is fun and all, but the gun just isn't as satisfying as the 120mm or 128mm.

It really comes down to the armor layouts between the two. The JT is a hull down beast. Fjord east side on the peninsula has one of the best positions I've seen to play the armor. But it's completely susceptible should you get caught in the open.

Tortoise of course has the tumor which practically negates the front armor. If you can abuse a rock/building to cover it, the thing is a monster. If not, much like the JT you have to hope to overpower with your gun. Which typically works mind you.

Yeah, JT has the best gun I've ever played in this game. The only other gun that comes close might be the FV 215b's gun (and of course the WT auf's).

I am halfway to the JPE and didn't regret buying this tank any second. 352 APCR just shreds any opposition and 2.8k dpm just melts enemies. It is surprisingly fast and hull down a beast if angled correctly. Currently, I sit at slightly below 2.7k dpg and I would expect truly good players to go for >3.5k.

Played alot of games in the JT, and just recently (started playing seriously to become a better player) figured this thing out. 

I look forwars to T10 games, all too often in random battles t10 tanks underestimate my JT and yolo against that monster gun. Only one MOE so far, but like i said, just got good in it.

Just unlocked the JT today, I really enjoyed the JP2 and the JT offers a godlike gun and workable armor.

What I can't handle yet is the mobility. I'm usually not playing TDs and in particular slow tanks.

How do I get like 2,7k DPG as some of you mentioned in this threat? The poor mobility hinders me from keeping up with the speed when the enemy get's stomped, being too aggressive on the other hand leads to getting outmaneuvered or getting clicked (balanced)

What I can't handle yet is the mobility. I'm usually not playing TDs and in particular slow tanks.

How do I get like 2,7k DPG as some of you mentioned in this threat? The poor mobility hinders me from keeping up with the speed when the enemy get's stomped, being too aggressive on the other hand leads to getting outmaneuvered or getting clicked (balanced)

I know what you mean - I had a very bad streak recently and my dpg dropped to 2.5k. My issue was that I was playing the VK B and tried to pull the same moves with the JT, i.e. pushing into enemies instead of letting them push into me.

The ideal fighting distance is mid to long range hull down, you don't want (nor need) enemies to get close. Ideally, you quickly get a position on the map from which have a lot of map control, i.e. middle on Prokhorovka or middle ridges on Redshire or, when that's not possible, a hull down spot where you have frontal engagements with enemy heavies. Like with most TDs, you prefer to get an advantageous location/choke point and let the enemy push into you. After breaking them a bit, you can then get more aggressive.

This game here is a nice example: wotreplays.eu. My initial impulse was to go where the Lorraine 40t went but considering my lack of turret, they would've outplayed me there. After dealing some damage and the risk of getting surrounded gone, I could move out and start being more aggressive.

Moreover, you have to realize what you cannot do. Take Karelia south spawn for example - if the enemy meds gain control over the hill, arty is in the game and both teams have equal amounts of HTs/TDs, you will have almost no opportunity to push. You can use a friendly for cover on J7 to get sneaky shots out but soon the enemies will start going around the rocks in the valley. At this point it is usually good to retreat to K6 and go hull down close to the hill. If you have minimal backup, you can hold this spot for a very long time (as long as they dont get around the hill or have too many tanks). This means that on the one hand you now rely on your team to either win the other flank (lol) or the enemies you face to make mistakes. In any case, with this calculated retreat (yh, I know) you have a decent fighting chance and can deal a lot of damage while going down, as well as buying time for your team.

Edit: Finally, get used to tracking enemies whenever you can. The JT can perma-track enemies that have bad repair crews and it will save your life against enemies that try to get around you.

Edit2: Just swapped out Binocs for Coated Optics, which in combination with Vents, BiA and SA puts my view range to 459m. 

Well I finished the last 65k XP for this grind during the 2x event yesterday.  Ended with 91 games, 63%, 3100+ DPG.  Nothing spectacular but good enough.  Overall the tank was an easy grind despite my not liking casemate TDs or slower box tanks.  When you can get this into a good hull down position or a spot where you can fire from outside spotting range it can be pretty fun.  Otherwise it doesn't have much going for it though - the lower plate is so awful that the armor is negated if you can't hide your lower plate.  And your engine gets damaged constantly from those shots - I've had multiple games where I lost my engine twice in a row.

Anyways, it was fun to play through but not good enough to keep.  I'll probably pick up the JPE-100 when it is on sale and mess around with it.

Oh dear lord, she's beautiful. "Margret" and her 128mm rolling pin have never looked so intimidating. Also fat Japanese heavies to troll with abundant JT penetration. My friends, our greatest moment is coming soon.

Yay, Jagdtiger. My favourite TD (and also my only TD) in the garage presently. It will probably change (once I buy the Borsig back), and I'm not sure how easy it is to get an Ace Tanker in it.

I got an Ace Tanker with 5 kills and 6.7k damage, so I guess I did good. Seeing that Poole's Medal post earlier kinda disheartened me, as I have only ever managed to get 1 Radley Walters medal in the Pz. IV (before it became the Pz. IV H), and I think I just suck at getting kills.

I desperately want to be good at this tank.  You purples who can load this thing into a battle and walk out with 4k+ damage consistently make me facepalm in shame.  I can't say that I'm any good in any TD, and I only restarted this line at tier8 when the personal missions came out, but dammit I want blood.

Whether I'm solo or platooning I don't see a difference in how well I do.  I think my bad map knowledge may be hurting me as I don't know the spots to go to.  Maybe I'm too impatient as well...if my gun isn't in the game in the first couple minutes I try to relocate, maybe I should just sit tight?

After the HP buff (and HD model) i decided to sell my Waffle 4 and buy my old love, the "Jag" (kinda reminds me of the Jaguar car...).

Have not played it almost 2 years.

What equipment do you run? 

Besides the obvious rammer, vbaddict is pretty much equally divided between EGLD and binos. What about optics? Are vents worth it?

http://www.vbaddict.net/tankstats/germany/td/jagdtiger-31

Since this tank is one of the last non-nerfed tds, it still has 390 m view range (now best for any td ingame, and some tier X have less, like waffle E100).

I have 2 skill crew to put inside, with radioman to 85% SIA. rest repairs, SS and such, so 410 view with just vents, and 451 with optics.

Since no BIA, and i will not run food, maybe binos better? or EGLD+vents and fuck corridor meta, go brawl?

9 hours ago, Felicius said:

After the HP buff (and HD model) i decided to sell my Waffle 4 and buy my old love, the "Jag" (kinda reminds me of the Jaguar car...).

Have not played it almost 2 years.

What equipment do you run? 

Besides the obvious rammer, vbaddict is pretty much equally divided between EGLD and binos. What about optics? Are vents worth it?

http://www.vbaddict.net/tankstats/germany/td/jagdtiger-31

Since this tank is one of the last non-nerfed tds, it still has 390 m view range (now best for any td ingame, and some tier X have less, like waffle E100).

I have 2 skill crew to put inside, with radioman to 85% SIA. rest repairs, SS and such, so 410 view with just vents, and 451 with optics.

Since no BIA, and i will not run food, maybe binos better? or EGLD+vents and fuck corridor meta, go brawl?

Runing 5skill kru, maxed out BIA, view and repairs shit, i don't feel like ruining optics especially not binos. 

I use it for sniping (that gun) and brawling when is necessary. RAM+GLD+VENTS for me.  

Purchased: 'Jagdtiger' successfully purchased. Spent credits:  3,450,000. 

RAM+VENTS+BINOS for now, since I do not have spare EGLD or optics (and purchase broke the bank).

Will consider both.

Update: first 3 battles, 3 victories at less than 40% chance, 4 k dmg, and I still had more than 50% hp left...

Me and 13 90 cleared the 1-2 lines at prokhorovka...bounced 10+shells, and melted enemies in fast order. 5 k dmg, only AP fired. 

I have a feeling that ppl do not shoot me if there are softer tanks near me...CDC and Lorr 40 in vicinity were shot multiple times, even arty preferred them, despite being spotted the whole time.

While in waffle i was always first target.

When I play mediums i always shoot dangerous tanks first, even if I need to load gold, instead of farming useless dmg. But pubbies...

11 hours ago, Felicius said:

Update: first 3 battles, 3 victories at less than 40% chance, 4 k dmg, and I still had more than 50% hp left...

Me and 13 90 cleared the 1-2 lines at prokhorovka...bounced 10+shells, and melted enemies in fast order. 5 k dmg, only AP fired. 

I have a feeling that ppl do not shoot me if there are softer tanks near me...CDC and Lorr 40 in vicinity were shot multiple times, even arty preferred them, despite being spotted the whole time.

When I play mediums i always shoot dangerous tanks first, even if I need to load gold, instead of farming useless dmg. But pubbies...

You got it right. JT is hard to pen frontally,on the other hand, CDC is auto-aim. 

11 hours ago, Felicius said:

You got it right. JT is hard to pen frontally,on the other hand, CDC is auto-aim. 

A few more battles after (now 12 total), and 3 k seems constant damage output. Could be more, but waffleclicker clipped me with gold for 0 dmg game...he had light tank spotting me...

Compared to waffle 4, i feel that my damage is worth much more. Too slow to get cleanup dmg, or to get the easy pickings first - early slaughter of noob lights/yolorushing mediums. So, most of my damage is on heavies, and I won 9 out of 12 so far. I hope/expect for 60% at 100 battles (but will keep this forever).

I decided that binos are the way to go. Without advanced crew, i could get no more then 453 m view range...and on a few maps that vision is important, it is not enough.

Example of my Jag with almost full SIA+opt+vents+46% camo vs rather common setup of T-54 wth just optics, full camo and BIA (no vents/food, vision skills)

Distance Jagdtiger will spot T-54 if he is:

stationary - 335.74m.
moving - 364.71m.
shooting - 426.21m.

Distance the T-54 will spot Jagdtiger if you are:

stationary - 378.18m.
moving - 402.24m.
shooting - 428.45m

Not good enough for Karelia, Sand River, Prokhorovka, Campinovka and such maps. There i need binos. On brawling maps both are useless anyway.

.Same setups, except bino instead of optics:

Distance Jagdtiger will spot T-54 if he is:

stationary - 379.56m.
moving - 412.96m.
shooting - 445.00m.

Distance the T-54 will spot Jagdtiger if you are:

stationary - 378.18m.
moving - 402.24m.
shooting - 428.45m

Can get the first shot that way...and for tanks with less camo the difference is even bigger, since I can shoot unspotted.

Yesterday had a Kharkov map, and went middle alone (lemming team, despite blue tier X). Blue IS-3 got a nasty surprise, bounced first shot off me, tried to sidehug me, but I put my butt on the wall and finished him off in 20 sec total. No dmg taken.

While i was loading 4th shell (AP), green IS-7 rushed me (guess he saw IS-3 and went to kill me) and i put 1st shell thru his pike, and switched to gold (i knew he will try to facehug). he spammed gold, so no bounces on my UFP either, but my 3 APCR shells went thru his turret face...could not block my gun with his due to my height and gun depression. he tried to wiggle and all, but no help.

Raged about gold noobs the rest of the battle.

Killed him only to be ass clipped by Amx 50 B. almost 4 k dmg in 2 min 10 sec.

My team won 4 min after that...and i was top by dmg and exp by far...

The HYPE IS REAL!

Yes, one of the best aspects of the JT is its APCR. I got my TD15 mission by clearing out the top of Malinovka hill that was crawling with T10 heavies. There was no arty.

I'm not claiming that it'd be the right choice, but I've been running toolbox, especially because my repair skill is still slightly below 100%. I really don't have the patience to play a slow TD from a distance, so I like to take aggressive positions. I often die due to overextending. The JT is good at giving second line support fire, and then pushing with the team.

The JT should almost never be alone where it would have to play vision games, so I haven't found view range equipment all that useful. Although, yes, getting the first shot is nice, and camo skill is underestimated on this TD. BiA and repairs (even deadeye, don't take snap shot!) have priority, though. I'm thinking of mounting optics. I've run binocs, but their activation time is quite annoying on an already slow and turretless vehicle. GLD could be useful, but I've found the accuracy and shell speed to offset for the bloom while moving.

I admit, I free xped through some of this - I had enough, didn't have any pressing needs for it, and needed the credits. 

That said, I still enjoyed it. The mobility/lack of turret gave me a bit of trouble (I'm used to the waffle 4), but it was a great fascist box. The gun is just so good - 560 alpha is more than enough to hurt, fantastic handling, great pen, epic apcr, and huge danks per minute. It has enough depression to work with (penned a E75 UFP with AP while he was facehugging me, and yes I should've aimed for the cupola) and the armor works, with obviously the lower plate being an exception. It's also a fucking jagdtiger. My stats in it weren't that great due to me being a shitter, but it was fun to play, especially with the most (I think) HP at t9.