westybig

delving into the mindset of barely greens

for the last 6 months or so I have been platooning with 3 IRL friends who are all around the barely green wn8 range

note that during this time none of them have drastically improved their wn8/wr

its been interesting to compare myself against them to see what comparisons I can draw.

1100 WN8 50% average players

pros

- they know when to zerg/ play well on flanks where they have a numerical superiority

-they have excellent knowledge of most tanks armour layout and weak spots

-on most maps they know at least one spot that nets them a few pens most games

-they can hold their own in brawls as long as the tank their facing isn't out of their own tanks capabilities.

cons

-by far their biggest weakness is their refusal to listen to any advice that would make them better

-poor map awareness

-poor situational awareness

-poor flexing capabilities

-one refuses to run consumables because he is a credit whore

-one doesn't move crews as he grind so he has tanks all with 50% on their first skill

-another grinds stock tanks even when he has the gold/xp to buy parts

-they don't enlarge their maps

what I have learnt from this experience is that the biggest problem with these players improving is they don't accept much (if any) advice on getting better. their fairly stubborn in their ways and when things don't go right for them its always the teams faults/ bad luck etc

all three of them refuse to do basic things (run consumabes/move crews) that would help them significantly in the long run

yet despite this I still see them making plays that, if they corrected a few small flaws and were more aware would put them up to my level of tanking in a rather short time.

what I have concluded from this is that im really not much better than the average green player. I just have more map awareness run good crews/ consumables and have a better flexing capability

from watching them play Ive also been able to see some of my own short comings and hopefully within the next 1k games I will start to improve again

TL DR Blues are just slighty better than green shitters

Totally disagree, although it depends on what kind of blue you are (playing for the win vs. being caught up about one's precious stats). I think if you are playing at 2k wn8 and above for the past 1000 games, you're actually a lot closer to being a light purple and it's just a matter of consistency. Unicums just have a lot better anticipation and are positionally superior at the right moment. When it boils down to the brawling mechanics and small-scale tactics, a deep blue should actually be fairly identical to even a deep purple. So this is an issue of tactics vs strategy. 

1100 WN8 50% average players

pros

- they know when to zerg/ play well on flanks where they have a numerical superiority

-they have excellent knowledge of most tanks armour layout and weak spots

-on most maps they know at least one spot that nets them a few pens most games

-they can hold their own in brawls as long as the tank their facing isn't out of their own tanks capabilities.

Nope. That would more for a dark green around 1500 wn8 playing at 53%. Yellow and light greens have huge problems trading effectively in brawls and knowing when and what targets to engage. They don't realise that they should capitalise on their numerical superiority and push a flank. That's why they have 50% WRs. They are not bad players knowledge-wise, but their poor play betrays this fact. I know because I was once like that at light green. 

TL;DR Obviously your friends need to stop putting their tanks at a huge disadvantage if they even want to win tactically. But saying that a teal/blue with 57% WR is only slightly better than a green shitter with 51% WR couldn't be further from the truth. 

I agree with prolix. There's a huge difference between light green and blue.

Also, I'd rather not play this game at all than play without consumables and with a 50 % crew. Some choices pubbies make are a bloody mystery. Fire extinguisher too expensive, gg.

I think you undervalue your skillset. Map awareness, flexing and getting shots in is much harder than going to your spot and sitting playing point'n'click. Being open-minded to advice/criticism is pretty good too.

So as a barely green and trying to improve.  I guess I'm better than your pals on several fronts, which means I'm worse at others.

So I do do run consumables...but there are times when I forget or neglect to use them.  Actually there are times when I'm not sure IF I should use them, like SHOULD I use it now to repair my track, or should I hold it as it might be more critical to bring that track up NOW at a later point.  FE is easy, I run manual and have it linked to my space bar...if I'm on fire I hit the bar and it's out quickly.

So the real question I DO have is about moving crews up.  I know to do it but what I'd like some opinions on is when.  i.e. If I'm running tier VIII for instance, how many skills should the crew have?

Currently I have a T-150 crew that I also use in my IS-6, they all have BIA, a full second skill (6th, plus a mix of repairs, safe stowage) and 60% on their 3rd.  KV-2/KV-5 crew is working on their 2nd skill around 60%.  And I have a T20 crew that's like 80% on their 2nd skill, and then most of my crews are in the tier V-VI range and working on their first skill.  I NEVER use a 50% crew and VERY rarely even a 75% crew.  WG loves me...I spend my money.  LOL

I'm working on my map awareness and weak spots (I'm bad with the weak spots honestly) and I'm getting better with situational awareness.  A BIG improvement I've made in the last couple of weeks is NOT rushing shots which has resulted is more hits/more pens/more damage.

So as a barely green and trying to improve.  I guess I'm better than your pals on several fronts, which means I'm worse at others.

So I do do run consumables...but there are times when I forget or neglect to use them.  Actually there are times when I'm not sure IF I should use them, like SHOULD I use it now to repair my track, or should I hold it as it might be more critical to bring that track up NOW at a later point.  FE is easy, I run manual and have it linked to my space bar...if I'm on fire I hit the bar and it's out quickly.

So the real question I DO have is about moving crews up.  I know to do it but what I'd like some opinions on is when.  i.e. If I'm running tier VIII for instance, how many skills should the crew have?

Currently I have a T-150 crew that I also use in my IS-6, they all have BIA, a full second skill (6th, plus a mix of repairs, safe stowage) and 60% on their 3rd.  KV-2/KV-5 crew is working on their 2nd skill around 60%.  And I have a T20 crew that's like 80% on their 2nd skill, and then most of my crews are in the tier V-VI range and working on their first skill.  I NEVER use a 50% crew and VERY rarely even a 75% crew.  WG loves me...I spend my money.  LOL

I'm working on my map awareness and weak spots (I'm bad with the weak spots honestly) and I'm getting better with situational awareness.  A BIG improvement I've made in the last couple of weeks is NOT rushing shots which has resulted is more hits/more pens/more damage.

It's entirely down to you. As long as you're running a 100% base crew, skills aren't a huge issue. At tier VIII I would not expect you to have such a decent crew, as you actually do have. BiA at tier 8 is great.

My only hard limit on skills is anything above tier 9 has to have sixth sense. Autoloaders ideally should have BiA. That's it.

Tier 10 is where one would expect you to have at least one full crew skill, preferably two. At tier 10 having anything less than one skill or near to one skills is bad enough, but not having 100% main crew qualifications is tomato level bad.

As for OP, a 1100 WN8 players is somebody I expect to be able to hit a target. That is literally it. I don't expect them to be able to get themselves to that target, or even be aware they need to make their shot. They simply have to randomly be in the right place at the right time to penetrate. I wouldn't expect them to pen anything reliably armoured like an E75, and I would also expect them to refuse to fire gold.

I'd also expect someone like that to either ignorantly or wilfully fuck me over due to bad gameplay decisions.

I wouldn't trust an 1100 player for anything. Anyone under 1500 is next to worthless with regards to not screwing you or your chances to win over given the chance. 1500s can be relied upon to be relentlessly used (as bait, mostly) and anyone around the 1800-2000 mark I will actively keep alive as I'd trust them to be able to carry (if I'm either crippled or not in the right tank for it, ie my tier 8 can be used as a shield for a blue batchat, better I die than him etc).

tldr 1100 players are shitters all over, 1500 are meh at best and you should only suspiciously trust 1800+ players

In my opinion, if you're playing at tier 8 without having a minimum 1 skill crew, you're gonna suffer a significant disadvantage against other players. That's your number one consideration. For soft tanks that rely on camo, mobility and vision control, having sixth sense is absolutely critical.

When it comes to moving crews up, you need to consider whether you are going to permanently keep the crew/tank. For instance, the T29 is a keeper for me, but I need a fresh crew in my T32 (which I'm planning to sell). I could use the T29 as a crew trainer to work on my first skill before moving it up to the T32. Remember that it's a lot more forgiving to use ghetto crews at tier 7 and below and in a heavy tank (sixth sense is not as important), so I can afford to train 75% crews in my T29.

Knowing weak spots and where to shoot is the easy part. The hard part is trading efficiently and higher order skills like situational awareness. One thing I learned early as a noob when playing heavies is that if an opponent fluffs his shot, take your time to aim at his weak spots to make your shots count. This is especially crucial when you play heavies with around 10s reloads. One shot will often determine whether you win the engagement or not. Then again, if you are trading 80% of your health to take down one guy, you're most likely doing it wrong, 

I'm basically in the same boat as GrassChopper, I have several VIII's and they are all at least 80% of their 2nd skill and everyone has 6th sense.

I'd like to think I am getting better about making good choices on where to go on the maps, but I know I still need to improve. I'm pretty good with weakspots and I don't rush shots much anymore, but I certainly don't have the hang of snapshots, I need to work on that. My fundamentals are decent, I am generally able to sidescrape pretty well.

I'm better at choosing my engagements, but I definitely am still not good at making good trades and it hurts me badly late game. I have zero issues shooting gold, and running consumables and reading here, good equipment choices. Like most of us green shitters, my biggest issues are between my ears.

My point is, unlike your buddies, I am smart enough to get every advantage I can thru the game, I just don't have the same grasp of where to go etc that your friends have, but handicap themselves by being cheap

Regarding crews I would recommend having sixth sense in anything tier 7+. After the first skill diminishing returns quite quickly.

I totally agree with you OP the main problem why the may not improve is lack of humility to admit they are wrong and realize they could do things better or simply lack of knowledge. I think the best players know ALL the tricks.

As an example would put the fire extinguisher mentioned. It is wrong to use simple fire extinguisher, in fact the automatic is cheaper because 1) you extinguish the fire quicker and you lose less hp & money in repairs 2) it has a 10% chance fire reduction in the first place. This is something a bit obscure and I didn't learn it until I had 4k battles or so but I would bet 100% know that against 20%? of greens

I use auto extinguishers on anything above tier 6, just like I use large repair kits / medical kits at those levels, for that extra bonus/protection....to me, that is simple stuff you just have to read to learn...you cant read to learn that this spot works when the enemy team composition is very low on fast mediums, but falls apart quickly when there are a lot of fast mediums on the other team and things like that...invariably the places I struggle are the questions that largely get the answer "it depends" or "it's situational". Some of the 'tricks' are simply a matter of reading and doing your homework, at least in the FE example above.

I have similar experiences platooning with IRL friends , one yellow and one green.

The yellow guy stopped playing a while ago, but he was a credit whore and refused to do very basic things. He would often get blown up to "save his repair kit", and failed to realize that the cost of his blown up tank was much worse than repairing and living on to do more damage. He would also carry a tiny amount of gold rounds, and would generally refuse to fire them. I'd have to actively watch who he was engaging, and if I saw he was up against something thick I'd have to remind him to switch to gold or he wouldn't do it. He eventually got frustrated with the game I think.

The green guy still plays and has actually been getting better. After a few discussions on account management he started managing his garage and crews more effectively and it seems to be paying off. His biggest weakness is a poor situational awareness, and poor ability to read line-ups and deploy accordingly. If I tell him to go to a certain grid square with his heavy and dig in like a tick, he can usually get stuff done and has good brawling/angling mechanics. He also tends to have a favorite spot on maps and he always goes there no matter the situation. The most annoying thing is he has somehow managed to not learn the names of the maps after 9k battles, so every map-related discussion I have with him has to start with a description of the terrain so I can recognize the map... Then I'm like "... this is Ensk, pls remember it next time", and he doesn't.

At this point I'm pretty sure that learning to quickly decipher situations from the minimap is almost entirely what took me from blue to purple recent. I doubt I'm brawling much better than I used to.

Totally disagree, although it depends on what kind of blue you are (playing for the win vs. being caught up about one's precious stats). I think if you are playing at 2k wn8 and above for the past 1000 games, you're actually a lot closer to being a light purple and it's just a matter of consistency. Unicums just have a lot better anticipation and are positionally superior at the right moment. When it boils down to the brawling mechanics and small-scale tactics, a deep blue should actually be fairly identical to even a deep purple. So this is an issue of tactics vs strategy. 

Nope. That would more for a dark green around 1500 wn8 playing at 53%. Yellow and light greens have huge problems trading effectively in brawls and knowing when and what targets to engage. They don't realise that they should capitalise on their numerical superiority and push a flank. That's why they have 50% WRs. They are not bad players knowledge-wise, but their poor play betrays this fact. I know because I was once like that at light green. 

TL;DR Obviously your friends need to stop putting their tanks at a huge disadvantage if they even want to win tactically. But saying that a teal/blue with 57% WR is only slightly better than a green shitter with 51% WR couldn't be further from the truth. 

+100000000000.

There are a number of unicums who have stated in the past, dark green = basic mechanics, blue = tactical/map mechanics, purple = tactical/map PREDICTIONs.

In my case this holds true, my recent is entirely due to watching streams regarding map strategy. I know all the weakpoints on XYZ, I know crew setups and such, I know how to lead moving targets.  Learning map strong points, how to work them, and how to retreat/flex is what has made me a dark blue recent.  Consistency is why I am not a purple yet. I am starting to get better at predicting map flow.  Mainly because I will be put in unfamiliar situations and not know what to do, or some sort of disadvantage and not sure what the proper play is.  I will have a 6k purple ACE game, followed by a 2 pen derp for this very reason.  If they are light green, they still haven't mastered all of the mechanics. Refusing to run consumables or train crews is BASIC mechanics. A lot of it stems from not wanting to pay money for a premium account, so they whore credits to afford later tanks.

A great example of this was a game last night on Westfield. Very close game.  Baby Waffle on our team, most of his health, light green player, we also had a dark green AMX 48 (full health) and a dark green T54E1 (who was a one shot). VS a T69 at max health, and a T54E1 2/3rds health (dark blue).  I had just died (AMX 12T) dumping my clip in to their T54E1 (I thought he had clipped out, had one shot left, RIP) and lit him for the Waffle, assuming the Waffle would hose him for a lot of damage (running the bigger gun) while he was clipping.  The Waffle started taking damage from the T69 who was un-spotted.  Instead of proceeding after the T54E1, who is clipping, he BLIND FIRES towards the incoming shots, on the move, within about 50m of the T54E1 I had just died next to, much to the surprise of our team, and the laughter of the enemy team.  You can guess what happened next, he got clipped out by the T54E1.  We still won the game, but it came down to a spotting contest between the T54E1 and our AMX 48.  This should never have happened.  Furthermore, our entire team asked him why he did that, "because I was taking damage from that direction". He refused to entertain that he did something wrong. This person is no where close to a blue.

Speaking as a tomato shitlord who stopped playing back in 2012 and has recently come back to the game and been playing a bit more carefully and smartly. I would say I do some things better than the things listed in the first post and some things of course I do worse but I am actively looking to improve so ignoring advice is something I wouldn't do personally, I would love for someone to tell me what I could do to improve but unfortunately I play solo, no clan and the friend who originally got me into the game was a rage fuelled ball of hatred who blamed everything he did wrong on his team, on me, on anything but himself. As someone who has played League of Legends for quite a while I understand from there that the only reliable factor in any game is yourself and you can only guarantee your own good performance (supposedly) so I would say if your friends aren't improving I would argue that they don't want to improve because in my experience when people want to they would pay more attention and ask more questions. Or watch more youtube guides like I have. :P

EDIT: To put my stats into more perspective, when I got back into the game from my 3 year absence I also started with some mods to track my own performance to improve myself (lets face it, winning is more fun!) so first game back after 3 years not playing I had 1800 games 48% wins and 550 WN8. Looking at my recent stats I would say I've made some smarter choices in the game but I still have a lot to learn.

At this point I'm pretty sure that learning to quickly decipher situations from the minimap is almost entirely what took me from blue to purple recent. I doubt I'm brawling much better than I used to.

I made it to dark green just going to a flank and brawling in my heavies until I either won or got overwhelmed. For this reason exactly, I expect dark greens to know weak spots and (hopefully) prioritize targets. I play smarter now, conserving hitpoints for the endgame, but my brawling skills have pretty much been about the same since I hit dark green with minor improvements in fine adjustments.

A great example of this was a game last night on Westfield. Very close game. Baby Waffle on our team, most of his health, . We still won the game, but it came down to a spotting contest between the T54E1 and our AMX 48. This should never have happened. Furthermore, our entire team asked him why he did that, "because I was taking damage from that direction". He refused to entertain that he did something wrong. This person is no where close to a blue.

Lol by that logic we should all be shooting the sky every time we get hit by sky cancer. xD

But yeah, that game sounds like it would have been a lot more easily won if your damn Waffle had shared his HP and shot the SPOTTED target right in front of him. Apparently, pointing and clicking is hard and playing TDs means kemping bush whole game until shitty team falls.

-by far their biggest weakness is their refusal to listen to any advice that would make them better

-poor map awareness

-poor situational awareness

yet despite this I still see them making plays that, if they corrected a few small flaws and were more aware would put them up to my level of tanking in a rather short time.

I think where you go wrong is that you assume situational awareness is easy when it's one of the most difficult parts of the game to pick up. Most people i play with who are blue/purple internalize that decision making tree. zeven does a good job of vocalizing his thoughts, if you're looking for a good streamer to learn from.

From how your friends are playing I would guess the minor corrections you're suggesting would get them to 1500 recent or 1-2 extra shots of damage but no further.

I think where you go wrong is that you assume situational awareness is easy when it's one of the most difficult parts of the game to pick up. Most people i play with who are blue/purple internalize that decision making tree. zeven does a good job of vocalizing his thoughts, if you're looking for a good streamer to learn from.

From how your friends are playing I would guess the minor corrections you're suggesting would get them to 1500 recent or 1-2 extra shots of damage but no further.

I totally agree with this. It took me thousands of solopub battles at tier IX & X to slowly build an ability to read line-ups and situations. It's not something that can easily be taught or externalized. Perhaps it's just the way I learn and others are different, but I needed this accumulation of battles to put together a mental play book of likely outcomes to a large number of situations. When in-game, I'm not consciously analyzing the minimap at every instant, it's much more like watching out for familiar patterns. Since my "play book" associates an appropriate reaction with these patterns, it all kind of flows and much of it happens on intuition. This kind of learning process is about as far from making a few minor corrections as you can get.

Edited by the_bolshevik

If you take your time in the grind and don't rush, you should quite easily be able to have 3 crew skills (or close to it) by the time you unlock a tier 10, even as a green. I started with two German lines (the E50M and E100), both these crews have been moved up each tier, all the way from lowly tier 1. Both are near completion of their 3rd crew skills. One crew stopped to grind crew skills at tier 6 (VK), the other that tier 7 (Tiger). I had 1.5 crew skills at tier 7/8, and I finished the second crew skills while grinding the tier 8 tanks and waiting for sales to purchase the tier 9s. This combination appears to have worked reasonably well, as I feel my crews are competent and have most important skills as I hit the higher tiers. I absolutely wouldn't want to go into tier 9 without at least 1 full skill learned though, it would be brutal, particularly if you're doing a stock grind.

I don't know why people readily apply faulty logic, when reality is so much simpler.

To blame the matchmaker, bad luck, rng, or teams requires so much energy. It's much

easier for me to just accept the fact that I play sub-optimally. 

It really does take the guess work out of figuring out what screwed you. Plus you don't have

to worry about arguing with people.

The jump from green to blue is getting more damage opportunities while the jump from blue to purple is taking less damage (while also dealing it out), as you'll be able to survive long into the battle and influence the endgame more consistently having more health.

I don't know why people readily apply faulty logic, when reality is so much simpler.

To blame the matchmaker, bad luck, rng, or teams requires so much energy. It's much

easier for me to just accept the fact that I play sub-optimally. 

It really does take the guess work out of figuring out what screwed you. Plus you don't have

to worry about arguing with people.

It's not so much faulty logic as it is an emotional refusal and/or intellectual inability to recognise that one could have made a difference but didn't. For the average pubbie, it's so much easier to blame everything but himself (contrary to what you mentioned).

Analysing and reflecting on one's performance is a difficult and humbling task, and some people's minds/egos just cannot take that hit.

If I could just throw a couple cents in...

I'll judge myself for the purposes of adding to this thread...

I have a light green overall, and a light blue recent. Let's break this down further. I get quite a number of purple/blue-WN8 games (I run Circon's modpack that gives WN8 for each game - I do not know how accurate it actually is.) but I also have quite a number of shit games where I get red/orange WN8. I seldom get per-game WN8 which is close to my overall or recent WN8 (more often I either get very bad or very good per-game WN8 -- 200-1000 or 2000-4000)

I have already a pretty okay grasp for weak points. To me, this is easy cake. Cake is information and knowledge that is easily found online. So... enemy's speed, reload times, weak spots, armour type, penetration values, view range, gun depression: not a problem.

I am currently developing my situational and map awareness better. This is NOT cake. It is something that I'm picking up only with great difficulty and effort. This includes watching Zeven, QuickyBaby and other streamers explain their thought process live/in-game, doing post-game analyses for both my sh*t games and my purple games, reading guides on flexing/relocating/OODA/other thought processes, actively applying lessons in-game and forcing myself to consciously think through decisions all the time in-game, etc. Holy shit this is hard.

Consistency is another "NOT cake" thing for me. I average out to light blue recent, I think, because I'm not consistent enough. I pull off dark green, light blue, blue and purple games frequently. But I also completely donk out and do stupid things from time to time because, well, residual noob/newb grey matter. It happens whenever I stop actively thinking about what I'm doing. Especially if it has been a long day and I'm not in my usual 'serious-about-everything' mentality.

So, tldr, where I am at recent newly-lightblue is: 

1. Trying to be more consistent in my games

2. Actively learning about map/situational/tactical/strategic awareness, and actively thinking/applying in-game

3. Trying to identify and remove bad habits

Here's the problem: I was dealing with these same issues when I was recent newly-lightgreen too.

Personally I think trying to generalise pros and cons to a specific colour band may not be particularly applicable especially for highly-inconsistent players or players who are still very much in the growth stage. Just some quick thoughts.

As a person who has gone from 1700 recent wn8 at 4k battles to ~2400 recent wn8 at 6.9k battles I'll share what I've learned (and am still learning). Maybe a couple of these will apply to the OPs situation. 

1. One tactic I have used is to play fewer games per session. I find that I learn more by not overloading myself with a crap ton of games. By playing fewer games, I find it easier to step back, understand the mistakes I've made and how I can avoid them next time. The downside to this is that I don't play as many games over a period of time as other players but if you have a busy life it won't matter anyways. 

2. Read articles and then try to replicate it. The great part about the elite level players on Wotlabs is that they take the time to teach the lessons they have learned so that newcomers don't have to learn everything on their own. You should absolutely read all of the Wotlabs articles and understand them but you also have to go into the game and replicate it. It's not easy and it will take time. I am still in the process trying to replicate a lot of the points made in the various articles and I may never perfectly do so. However, by actively trying to incorporate tips you ensure that you improve over time.  

3. Feedback system: Make sure you have a session stats mod and/or are constantly uploading your stats to a site like vbaddict and actively use it as an improvement tool. Don't be the person who looks at their session wn8, sees a green color, and is content that they will do better next time. Get a little angry, go back through each game and figure out wtf happened. I may be a teal overall player but I find it to be absolutely unacceptable if I have a session wn8 lower than purple. Today I had a 1980 recent after 10 games (unacceptable), told myself to get my shit together, and ended with a more acceptable 2722 after 36 games. If you don't demand/expect the best from yourself, you won't even reach halfway. Make sure that you have the self-confidence and persistence after a bad game to back yourself to bounce back with a great game. 

4. Set reasonable goals: My ultimate goal is to be a unicum overall wn8/wr player with super unicum recent stats. However, I am not going to achieve this tomorrow and I have to live with that. Instead of stressing myself over something that is unattainable in the short term, I am setting smaller goals that can add up to the ultimate goal over time. Back when I was a 1700 recent WN8 player my goal was to get to 2000 recent WN8. To be honest, this was a difficult task at the time but I knew it only represented one more shot of damage per game and I knew I could reach this goal with persistence. After I got to 2000 recent my next goal was 2250 and after that 2500 (what I am currently going for). By setting attainable goals you allow yourself to see your improvement as a player which only gives you the desire to improve even more.

5. Don't aim to stat pad/play easy WN8 tanks as a green/teal/blue player, just get better at the game. I try not to play the same tank too much unless I am grinding the tank. If a super unicum is playing the same tank a lot over a period of time it's fine as this player already understands the game extremely well and can play any tank at a high level. However, if I just play low ceiling WN8 tanks constantly to give off the impression that I am a great player when I'm actually not then I am just short-circuiting my development and depriving myself of opportunities to learn. If I'm struggling with a tank, I will always read an article/post about the tank written by an elite player to gain a better understanding. I'll then meet the challenge and get better with the tank. 

6. Don't make the mistake of blaming your team for a loss/bad game. It's a trap that is easy to fall into (and one I still do from time to time). By doing this, you are effectively shifting the blame from yourself to other people and claiming (wrongfully) that you had nothing to do with your own fate. If you get one-shot by arty while moving at 50 kph then so be it but more often than not it's poor decision making on your own part that has led to a poor performance. There are plenty of losses where I have blamed my team, watched the replay, and found 10 different things I could have done differently which would have most certainly led to our victory. 

The difference between a "barely green" and a light blue is the amount of damage they do. Period. You do understand that Wn8 is largely a damage metric, right?! There are any number of reasons for the damage differential, as clearly indicated by the number of "light green" responders to this thread. Pretending you've figured out the underlying causes from your experience with three friends makes you a "red" at analysis and argument.

This kind of post is not about the "mindset" of any "group" of players carved up by a loosely motivated range of damage. It cannot hope to be. It is about the kind of e-peening only made possible by such metrics and their inevitably artificial emphasis on one or another element of game play, interpreted as some kind of indication of overall mastery.

The only "mindset" revealed with any accuracy in this thread and others like it is the mindset of those obsessed with stats and their incessant efforts to tie those stats to meaningful game knowledge and skills, usually in order for them to feel better about themselves.

We need a new category. Just as bad if not worse than the "stats denier" is the "stats worshiper".

So, tldr, where I am at recent newly-lightblue is: 

1. Trying to be more consistent in my games

2. Actively learning about map/situational/tactical/strategic awareness, and actively thinking/applying in-game

3. Trying to identify and remove bad habits

Pretty much this for me as well. I had a 6k damage (first time I went over the 6k mark ever), monster win with my E75 last night. The proceeding game? A 0 damage derp in my AMX 50 100 (kept trying to outplay a good Cent 7/1 who made me look foolish in the end). My consistency is getting better (so Is my recent), but still has some holes.

The difference between a "barely green" and a light blue is the amount of damage they do. Period. You do understand that Wn8 is largely a damage metric, right?! There are any number of reasons for the damage differential, as clearly indicated by the number of "light green" responders to this thread. Pretending you've figured out the underlying causes from your experience with three friends makes you a "red" at analysis and argument.

This kind of post is not about the "mindset" of any "group" of players carved up by a loosely motivated range of damage. It cannot hope to be. It is about the kind of e-peening only made possible by such metrics and their inevitably artificial emphasis on one or another element of game play, interpreted as some kind of indication of overall mastery.

The only "mindset" revealed with any accuracy in this thread and others like it is the mindset of those obsessed with stats and their incessant efforts to tie those stats to meaningful game knowledge and skills, usually in order for them to feel better about themselves.

We need a new category. Just as bad if not worse than the "stats denier" is the "stats worshiper".

So by your assertion, all damage is created equal, being it spawn camping/garbage time damage (last man standing vs an obvious loss) or actively flanking/maneuvering to gain advantage to win (since none of those colors indicate "overall mastery" by your claims)?  Wrong.  Damage DOES indicate mastery of the game.  Damage is a function of your ability to survive, and make the enemy NOT survive. There are a million components to this (be it weak points, firing lanes, timing, opportunism, etc..), but increasing your chances while decreasing the enemy's chances to kill you DOES rely on your mastery of mechanics and strategic thinking.  This isn't 100% foolproof, but as a general rule of thumb it is.  Purples do more damage than blues, who do more than greens and so on.  To say that all damage is equal is to say damage is luck of opportunity and some people are luckier than others. So if it isn't equal, and it isn't luck, it must be game mastery.

TL;DR  You can only get so far with "UGG SEE TANK, UGG SHOOT TANK" levels of thinking. Increased damage comes with mastering the game and game elements. 

The OP isn't the one "red at analysis and argument" here. Your assertion is a round about excuse for stats denial.