rojo180

Pokemon!

15 hours ago, WildSudowoodo said:

Actually the next one is Slugma in Violet City, followed by one more after the second gym (Vulpix/Growlithe) and another after the third (Magmar).

You also get an Eevee at this point, so you can either do the Pokeathlon challenges for a fire stone or wait for Alan to call and give you one. So that's a Flareon as well. If you got yourself the opposite version exclusive at this point, you'd have five fire types before Morty. You could even catch Entei before Morty, but fuck legendaries.

And then of course you get Ponyta immediately before the Elite Four, and Houndour immediately after them from the Safari Zone.

Meh fuck it.

I like my team. It's fun. Plus having sandslash was nice against Whitney and her rollout of death miltank.

pokemon thread on wot forums, oh hell yes

wish there was hard mode for games tho...cleared ORAS in one weekend because mega sceptile op (and lol you get fucking mega latios before 6th gym with no need to catch it), although i rushed story so i would get glorious hyper voice and earth power on my glorious aurorus :). Personally tho story is still too easy even when you dont use exp share, megas or legends.

Anyone else play VGC 2015 (battlespot doubles, also smogon)? Breeding teams for that and obviously playing it too is basically my post-game stuff. However, mega cancer mom, rock slide spamming, flinch-fishing landorus-t and thundurus spamming swagger cancer and just the hax in general made me take a break from VGC since summer, although JP heavies finally happening made me play WoT again like crazy (just like in my old "good" 2013 deep red tomato days) so most likely would have taken a break from pokemons anyway.

But yeah, basically, pokemon is 2ndary game along with that-damn-boat-game (which i should re-install since the sign-in part always glitches these days) after tenks.

14 hours ago, rojo180 said:

Meh fuck it.

I like my team. It's fun. Plus having sandslash was nice against Whitney and her rollout of death miltank.

I'm actually going to be making a secondary video series focusing on the subject of what the player's best options are for each gym leader and E4 member. If you have any opinions you'd like to put out to help me refine the list, then I am happy to receive those into mine ears.

The rules are pretty straightforward:

• Your Pokemon's level cannot exceed the level of the gym leader's strongest Pokemon.
  • This restricts your move pool and evolutionary stage if applicable.
  • Pokemon which are available prior to that gym leader can be used.
  • TMs and HMs which are available prior to that gym leader can be used.
  • Held items which are available prior to that gym leader can be used.
  • Breeding can be used once available.
  • Primary focal points are consistency of success and safety (i.e. how much damage you take).

5 hours ago, leggasiini said:

pokemon thread on wot forums, oh hell yes

wish there was hard mode for games tho...cleared ORAS in one weekend because mega sceptile op (and lol you get fucking mega latios before 6th gym with no need to catch it), although i rushed story so i would get glorious hyper voice and earth power on my glorious aurorus :). Personally tho story is still too easy even when you dont use exp share, megas or legends.

yeah, even if you just pick a weak lineup, they are eventually high enough level to get through anything.  

There are lots of ways to add some tension though, since you can add your own rules.

For instance, you could self impose a rule that if a pokemon faints, it's dead forever, and you must release it.  

My biggest bone to pick with the story is how winning/losing moves things forward.
For instance, your friend challenges you for the mega-evolution bracelet in X/Y, and you can't lose.  If you faint, you must go back and try again until you win.
This false sense of drama drives me crazy.  (I lost on purpose, because I was curious if it would really let me give it to them)
There are almost zero chances to show mercy or to lose on purpose, which would be a great mechanic.  Imagine if you could choose to beat down the rude people, but offer a truce to the nice ones.

However (X/Y spoiler): 

Spoiler

after you've saved the day, the super tall guy challenges you in order to get closure for the loss of his favorite pokemon...you can win or lose that fight.  He get's closure either way.  I let him win on my second play through because it seemed like beating down a broken old man was sorta mean.  But it didn't change what he said much.  I wish there had been story diversity for him winning or losing.

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

So, elite 4 are beaten in emerald, i feel like I've finished the game, so bow what am I supposed to do, exactly?

If you have emerald then capture all the legendary pokemon. The Regis, roaming latios/latias, Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza.

Also if you get a Feebas, and then evolve it into a Milotic.

Then after that do the battle frontier!

maxresdefault.jpg

*FAN ART!!! YOU ARE WARNED!!!

Still waiting for my 2nd gen started mega evolution.

Ideas on whether these 3 will stay a mono type? maybe all 3 of them get secondary dragon typing? Typhlosion gets ground typing? Maybe feraligatr will get fighting type as well. o.O

Will meganium actually BE GOOD?

inb4 grass/fairy mega meganium

Water/Fighting would be cool, but tbh i rather have that typing on Mega Samurott. Water/Dragon for Megagator, i guess. There isnt any other starters that doesnt have mega yet that Water/Dragon fits. Or just keep it as pure water. inb4 water/dragon mega greninja

Mega Typhlosion, just give it Earth Power and there, Fire/Ground is way to go. Or maybe even Fire/Rock if it gets Power Gem, although it would be trash defensively.

Typhlosion defensive? That shit don't exist. The problem with typhlosion is the movepool. Like it needs help with that. If it learned hyper voice the. It could gain an ability that could make normal your moves into ground for moves. Similar to aeriliate. But its normal type moves that favor on the special side is hyper beam(no) and secret power(kind of weak)

The other 2 starters are fairly easy for megas. Give them a secondary typing that goes with appearance, and play style. Bulky meganium, and physicial tank Gator.

Typhlosion has the speed and special attack, but we don't want it to be like charizard Y.

On 2015-12-09 04:58:03, Assassin7 said:

So, elite 4 are beaten in emerald, i feel like I've finished the game, so bow what am I supposed to do, exactly?

Catch all pokemon of course? :D 

Feebass is such a bitch and I'm lucky I got it on even the 15th try

After E4 you should probably fight every trainer (and Steven especially) so they don't mess your pokemon up when you're EV training. Ofc you'll only do that if you want medals at Battle Frontier, you can beat everything once with a pretty much sucky ass setup anyway. The key to BF is to have a solid enough team that can win against every trainer even if the battles aren't as stompy because you'll be fighting things the same level, constantly. 

So here:

Use your current team, because not a single one of them's EV trained and you won't be using them much afterwards anyway, to wipe out all the trainers and finish the entire endgame outside of BF (if you want too, not THAT much to do but still a little). At least in the areas you'll EV train in once you decide on your team. 

Decide which pokemon you want, try to get at least 4 pokemon because you'll find out some Pokemon just don't work at certain Frontiers (Palace and Arena being the ones that come to mind for me) and make sure the team works allright together. You don't want 3 solo strikers like Charizard, Dugtrio and Metagross or something like that because as soon as you go up vs a defensive or haxxing team you're so goddamn screwed over. Aside from Frontier champions you will never know what you go up against. (These are a bit tricky tbh, some of them have very good setups that you need to counter nicely because they all have perfect IV/EV's)

After getting those Pokemon, catch a Ditto, start breeding them until you get a nature you want on them and start EV training. Use Vitamins early because it's at level 5 it's annoying to EV train. There's also a hold item that doubles the EV nets per game (but cuts speed in half, not sure what it's called) along with Pokerus (hard to get, tricky but makes things go reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally fast) that can really help you out in progress. Keep track of your EV's because it's not always easy to find out what you have if you happen to be in between the hard numbers, so once you hit 155 EV's in battle assuming you used vitamins early, (only use vitamins on the stat you wanna raise btw) you should be done with that EV, and can move onto the next one. If you have EXP share you can use that to train two specific pokemon in the same EV stat as well, because once you hit 255 the waste EV's that you do after are just not added anywhere else so it's fine. 

Do this for all pokemon you want to use, and it takes about an 10 minutes with Pokerus to get a Pokemon EV'd in a stat from min to max if you have the fast forward option on your emulator. 

Once you're done EV training you do need to level them up to either 50 or 100. If you're going for level 50 you don't want to use any XP boosts at all because in rare cases I've just hit 50 finishing the last EV for a Pokemon I traded and such. After they're all fully EV'd you can basically spam all rare candies you want (the only reason people think they're bad is because a lvl 100 rare candied pokemon has no EV's and cannot get them) to the desired levels or just grind normally. 

Then get the desired movesets of the pokemon you want (you can do this before and probably should during because some of the moves they learn normally) for your team and then you're all set to face the BF with some readup on the different battles you'll have to do. 

If you want very specific unnatural movesets you're gonna have to make them learnable by breeding them with a pokemon that knows said move, which in that case should be done on the breeding step.

Some Pokemon I've been using to great to OK effect in order:

Great:

Ninjask (this is my staple lead, I can't play without him) - Speed Boosts, Swords Dance and Baton Pass says it all

Dugtrio (High Speed, great attacker, VERY useful in 2v2 battles too)

Absol (Decent Attack, pressure + taunt gets very workable against opponents that focuses a lot on stathaxxing)

Chansey (GREAT anchor, sadly sucky as hell at attacking but works great if you can manage to statraise and raise HP at the same time because sooner or later it's so goddamn hard to beat)

Steelix (This is probably the best tank you can get legitimately in the game without cheating or trading) Wrap + Status gets so fucking annoying sometimes, I promise

Wobbuffet with focus band TROOOOOOOOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Good: 

Gengar

Shuckle (Trolololo stagnant fight, poision something and switch in Shuckle to just let it die)

Shedinja (Setup dependent, unless you don't know the opponent I wouldn't bring this very often because sheer RNG if Wonder Guard holds up or not)

that 3rd evo Seal thingy for tanking

Registeel

Latios/Latias (can tank ok, good moveset options + can rid status effects if you give up a move space)

OK:

Metagross

Dragonite

Charizard

Scyther (I heard it was decent but I can't make it work)

Voltorb

Jolteon

Umbreon

Regirock

Raichu

Gardevoir

So a team would probably look like this:

Ninjask - Dugtrio - Chansey because Ninjask can boost and OHKO if need be, or Baton Pass to either of the two left, Dugtrio is absolutely amazing at raping things in general and Chansey can withstand everything short of fighting types but Ninjask should've rekt them with Aerial Ace in that case anyway

thanks, now can you tell me what all the acronyms mean? :P

edit: Acutally, I also have a Vulpix, and I have several different stones for evolution. a fire Stone, Sun Stone, and Thunderstone, 

A: what level would Vuplix evolve? (I think its around 30 now) B: what should I evolve it to?

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

thanks, now can you tell me what all the acronyms mean? :P

edit: Acutally, I also have a Vulpix, and I have several different stones for evolution. a fire Stone, Sun Stone, and Thunderstone, 

A: what level would Vuplix evolve? (I think its around 30 now) B: what should I evolve it to?

Vulpix won't evolve without a Fire Stone. Wait until at least level 29 (in R/S/E) so it learns Flamethrower first.

Also, you know that if they ever made official mega evolutions for generation 2 starters, they wouldn't look anything like that. They'd just be fucking retarded looking with random tattoos and accessories.

4 hours ago, WildSudowoodo said:

Vulpix won't evolve without a Fire Stone. Wait until at least level 29 (in R/S/E) so it learns Flamethrower first.

Also, you know that if they ever made official mega evolutions for generation 2 starters, they wouldn't look anything like that. They'd just be fucking retarded looking with random tattoos and accessories.

Yo!!!

Tattoos hmm. Not sure how I feel about this.

Also on the topic of mega evolution. primal reversion is essentially another form of evolution. any ideas on the held items of the 4th gen legendary Pokemon getting primal s. How scary would that be....

Oh and a pic I found that I love!!!

tZwY3Ea.jpg

Well that's become the trend with the new generations. The Pokemon are overdesigned and have unnecessary markings, features and accessories. Generation 3 is when it really started to get bad, though there are a couple stinkers that existed even before that.

Please tell me why it was necessary for this thing to have bow ties and ribbons.

250px-700Sylveon.png

And now see how much better simplicity looks.

250px-136Flareon.png

Not saying you are wrong, but...

Bows kinda go thematically with a fairy type. 

Also, it really isn't fair to compare a non-evolved to an evolved pokemon.
Would be sorta like comparing a Charmander and a Charizard and saying "look how much better the simplicity looks!"
One was designed to be cute, one was designed to be fearsome.  

Better comparisons would be between old and new eevee evolutions, or between starter types or between legendaries...
Apples to apples.

I've only played 3 generations though, so maybe it's obvious to anyone who has played them all?

23 minutes ago, weesh said:

Not saying you are wrong, but...

Bows kinda go thematically with a fairy type. 

Also, it really isn't fair to compare a non-evolved to an evolved pokemon.
Would be sorta like comparing a Charmander and a Charizard and saying "look how much better the simplicity looks!"
One was designed to be cute, one was designed to be fearsome.  

Better comparisons would be between old and new eevee evolutions, or between starter types or between legendaries...
Apples to apples.

I've only played 3 generations though, so maybe it's obvious to anyone who has played them all?

Which one of them is unevolved - Sylveon or Flareon?

2 hours ago, WildSudowoodo said:

Well that's become the trend with the new generations. The Pokemon are overdesigned and have unnecessary markings, features and accessories. Generation 3 is when it really started to get bad, though there are a couple stinkers that existed even before that.

Please tell me why it was necessary for this thing to have bow ties and ribbons.

Good Pokemon

And now see how much better simplicity looks.

Bad Pokemon

The case could of been that Gen 1-2 pokemon were over simple.

EXAMPLES INCOMING

250px-100Voltorb.png a ball with eyes

250px-128Tauros.png a bull with 3 tails

250px-007Squirtle.png a sea turlte

250px-024Arbok.png a purple cobra. 

1 hour ago, WildSudowoodo said:

Which one of them is unevolved - Sylveon or Flareon?

oops, I thought the flareon was an eevee.

Groudon  design comes from the mythological creature 

"Groudon is modeled after the Earth's land and volcanoes and is most likely based on the Hebrew legends of Behemoth, the unconquerable primal master of the land. Its counterparts were Leviathan and Ziz. Just as Groudon is in conflict with Kyogre, it was said that at the end of time, Behemoth and Leviathan would start a battle that would kill them both. However, the Behemoth is usually depicted as a warthog/hippopotamus-like creature; in the same way, Kyogre is not based on traditional depictions of the Leviathan.

Instead, Groudon is based on a dinosaur of some kind. Its appearance seems to have drawn inspiration from the Tyrannosaurus and from various species of Ankylosauria, such as Euoplocephalus."

from bulbapedia (LEGIT SOURCE BABY)

For the case of legendary Pokemon they are based around the ideas of myth and thus should remain immune to the idea of over designed because you can only take a design from myth as far it can let you.

For Example Reshiram and Zekrom based off of YIN and YANG

Reshiram is thought to be based off of this

The Faravahar is a symbol of Zoroastrianism.  This is the Ahura Mazda. Basically read about Zoroastrian belief, It will make better sense than if I were to explain it.

Scolipede Lots of patterns here. All though in the wild many insects use patters either for concealment, or to threaten predators away from eating it. I would bet that the 2nd option would be the case for that.

250px-466Electivire.png A similar design aspect that elecatbuzz had

Neither of those is what I would consider to be overdesigned. Consider something like Lickilicky, Druddigon or Mega Aerodactyl.

I get what you are saying. Although I personally don't see the issue of it. mostly because I see only a handful of the hundreds of pokemon that have this over designed dilemma.

Also I found my new Wallpaper

5snlBPW.jpg

Praise HELIX

Allow anarchy to set you free!!!!

I'm replaying pokemon emerald on my phone..

Is this a good team ? I'm right before the 3rd gym leader

Combusken lv 26

Kirlia lv 21

Swellow lv 22

Electrike lv 13 -> to be trained

Trapinch -> to join later

Wailmer -> to join later

I feel that dialga and palkia are too complex designs for pokemon. Idk they just don't seem to 'fit'.

Though they were probably trying to go for that feel since they represent time and space.

One is a penis. The other takes it in the ahole.

I'm replaying pokemon emerald on my phone..

Is this a good team ? I'm right before the 3rd gym leader

Combusken lv 26

Kirlia lv 21

Swellow lv 22

Electrike lv 13 -> to be trained

Trapinch -> to join later

Wailmer -> to join later

Blaziken will shitstomp 2 of the E4 so ur good there.

Gardevoir in general is strong.

Swellow is a bit weak this gen since it doesn't get easy access to guts boost for facade nor brave bird. I'd probably just replace that as I didn't use mine at all except for fodder (keep it for flying but I'd probably swap it out for a Salamence.

manectric is ok but limited movepool. There aren't many good electrics this gen. I'd probably get a water or grass type instead for bulk (tanking legendaries).

Would highly recommend milotic over wailmer as it has recover/rest, very bulky thanks to its ability, ice beam for E4 and surf.

Flygon (trapinch) is ok but again, limited useful movepool this gen. Just go salamence.

roselia for sleeping legendaries. Also moderately fast with useful typing and moveset.

6th would be an HM slave.

One is a penis. The other takes it in the ahole.

Blaziken will shitstomp 2 of the E4 so ur good there.

Gardevoir in general is strong.

Swellow is a bit weak this gen since it doesn't get easy access to guts boost for facade nor brave bird. I'd probably just replace that as I didn't use mine at all except for fodder (keep it for flying but I'd probably swap it out for a Salamence.

manectric is ok but limited movepool. There aren't many good electrics this gen. I'd probably get a water or grass type instead for bulk (tanking legendaries).

Would highly recommend milotic over wailmer as it has recover/rest, very bulky thanks to its ability, ice beam for E4 and surf.

Flygon (trapinch) is ok but again, limited useful movepool this gen. Just go salamence.

roselia for sleeping legendaries. Also moderately fast with useful typing and moveset.

6th would be an HM slave.

ok, I get Salamence then instead of the bird and the dragon pokemon

but isn't milotic super hard to get? :feelsbad: