Elvenlord

So... About coding?

Hey gents! I know many of you are coders, some are even self taught. So, If one was interested in learning to code, what is the best methodology to use? As far as self learning goes, where would one start? I guess I mean what language would be best to start learning in? Also, what free, cause cheapskate, options are there out there for self learning?

Python, Java, C++ are all decent languages to start with and will pretty much form the basis of your programming knowledge. Most languages don't differ from each other too much outside of syntax and names, so the important thing is to grasp the concept of good coding practices.

Methodology: trial and error, read the documentation (google is your friend) for instructions and shortcuts. If you hit a problem chances are somebody else also did, and have already solved it one way or another. Again, just google stuff and apply what you learn.

Most of the time you'll end up like this:

my-code-doesnt-work.jpg

Thanks, some background. My sister is interested in possiblely learning. She is a freshman. I know there are some classes offered online through our state, but I also knew many of you did coding and wanted to get some more info.

I find that learning a low-level language like Z80 (pretty much direct machine code) really helped improve my understanding of others, and use up less memory than more conventional methods. Lot more math though.

I'd start out with something like C++ or Python though, because high-level languages like those are pretty newbie-friendly.

HTML is really difficult for me, idk why. I guess I'm just bad.

I find that learning a low-level language like Z80 (pretty much direct machine code) really helped improve my understanding of others, and use up less memory than more conventional methods. Lot more math though.

There's barely any point in learning a low level language for a beginner. It's only worth learning to appreciate the fact that compilers exist or if you're gonna go pro optimizing assembly language.

I'd start out with something like C++ or Python though, because high-level languages like those are pretty newbie-friendly.

I'd also recommend Java over C++ so you don't memory leak like it didn't even happen. C++ is definitely worth learning, just maybe not for your first language.

When I took a programming class last semester we covered mostly C.  It did not seem like a challenging language to learn so I would conciser starting there.  An extremely useful web sight I was told about was http://stackoverflow.com/ there is a lot of great information here and plenty of helpful people to assist with your issues if there isnt already a post about it.

High school or college? If high school, probably best to start with Java, just to get to know some of the syntax; the AP Computer Science Pointless Recursion test uses that language.

Python, Java, C++ are all decent languages to start with .... 

Python yes.  Java maybe.  C++ no.   C++ is just to detailed and unforgiving to be a good learning language.

Learning any language syntax isn't that hard.  Learning all of the libraries necessary to get things done is a lot to remember.

Start with Java for object oriented thinking. Download the Eclipse IDE for Java:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

You will find tons of turorials and beginner lessions for Java on the net, it is the most widespread language.

Followed by C.

Which I would also learn :) There is a separate Eclipse CDT or C/C++ programming.  If you are using windows you also need a Compiler to go with that one.

Install MinGW or CygWin. On Linux you don't need to, it has gcc included.

But start with Java, C++ is much too complicated for starters.

And forget Javascript, Python, PGP and the likes, you can do a lot with those, true, but they have a bit of the "hobby stigma", in the industry for bigger projects they are seldom used.

Ok, Javascript is, because there is no alternative when writing GUIs for browsers, but even then often frameworks are used like Typescript from Microsoft. Or the framework from google.

tl:dr: install Eclipse, start with a beginner tutorial.

I used Microsoft Visual Studio (circa 2008) and worked my way through many of the free online acedemy courses and tutorials, to translate from C, C++, to C#

For a younger audience Kodu (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/) is a good platform to start with.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ may be a place to start.

Additionally, this page has a list of programming and development enviroments that may spark some interest.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/imagineaccess

Keep in mind: if you follow the Microsoft path, you will be restricted to Windows.

Nothing wrong with that (maybe), but you should be aware. I am a fan of write once run everywhere though.

Right, you buy this book. You read this book. It's fundamental. Ignore the 'jazzy' languages for now. 

792px-The_C_Programming_Language_cover.s

Keep in mind: if you follow the Microsoft path, you will be restricted to Windows.

Nothing wrong with that (maybe), but you should be aware. I am a fan of write once run everywhere though.

Agreed and very true, but meets the OP (interested in learning to code, free, self learning) and likely has a broader range of additional online resources.