Garbad

On wallet warriors and china tanks

54 members have voted

1. 1. You're like a god to them -- but which god?

• Jupiter - the king of the gods
    • Mars - god of war
    • Pollox - god of pretty gay boys. killed in his first battle; name is reminiscent of chicken
    • Bacchus - the god of giant dicks. You think this is a compliment, but its not.

ZEn2IHJ.jpg

@ Gold spam

First off, gold spam isn't necessary or even optimal on a lot of tanks.  For example many tanks with base APCR and HEAT gold (including T-62A, bulldog, etc) are better using gold only in limited situations.  A lot of other tanks have crap heat rounds (T-34-3) that make AP better most of the time.  Really, its only tanks with AP base and APCR gold that are almost always a categorical pay to win upgrade...and even then, its often not needed (FCM, E4, etc).  So gold spam helps, sure, but its not always optimal.  Let's just say its optimal for certain tanks.

Still, only a fool would deny that for maximum DPG gold spam is important.  I'm less convinced gold spam actually makes you win more, and practice hitting weak points + limited gold use can perform ~95%+ as well as gold spam for a fraction of the cost.

So in a nutshell, I think gold spam will always improve your DPG.  On some tanks, a little, on some a lot.  It may also improve your win rate slightly.  But it pales in comparison to other things, such as tank choice, platooning, player skill.  I view gold spam as a personal choice -- if it helps you and you can afford it, spam.  If not, don't.  On a game level I think it fucks with balance and should be capped, but its historical and important to WG's bottom line so I can live with it.

@ Type

At one point, the Type was the best chinese tank.  It used to have 2.3 aim time, better bloom, and before gold for silver many opponents struggled to pen it.  It also has -7, where most chinese are -5 or -3.  I think it was clearly OP back then, and the best prem by a long shot. 

But since then, its been nerfed repeatedly.  2.9 and big bloom hurt the tank a lot.  Tier 6/7s being able to spam gold at you hurts a lot.  Power creep in general hurt it.  So today, I consider it a powerful tank -- 2nd best prem behind the IS-6.  But not by a lot.  I think the only reason it is much better than the T-34-3 is -7 (if it were -5 I would call it a wash) and the only reason its better than the FCM is the horrific camo on the FCM.

And compared to regular chinese tanks, its not an exact apples to apples but I would consider most chinese tanks in both lines to be at least average (past tier 6, the low tier ones are crap).  I think the most powerful overall chinese tank is the 110, which is stronger than the Type.  One could also argue for the WZ-132, 120, 121, and perhaps others.

So I don't agree with your friend.  I think he overstates the OPness of both the type and gold spam.

I use gols minimally

i have yet to load it in the t57, and the only time i fire it in my 140 is when i want to lolpen E100 and maus turrets

i generally avoid tanks where you have to goldspam, (1390, rip it cause accuracy nerf) because im a poor bastard

The only reason gold isn't always an upgrade is because HEAT is shit in lot's of cases. For everything else = better performance. (How much better depends on the tank, as you described)

Therefore it's a kinda retarded mechanic to have, and the other historical rounds should be classified as sidegrades (something like more pen but less damage?) instead of direct upgrades.

Right now "pay more to increase your chance to pen" isn't exactly great gameplay. Sprem should be a tactical choice, not a choice of your in game bank account.

It's funny, most people who don't have a Type whine about it being OP.

Those of us who do know that it's a pretty damn good tank but not OP.

I used to hate gold spammers. Then I realized how it turns every game in a money losing proposition. Or a break even at most in premiums. I believe it's mostly balanced, gold spammers will have to grind extra credits in some seal clubbing tier for their rounds (or burn gold but I doubt anyone actually pays gold for gold rounds). And I'm fine with that.

I have no idea how you guys put up with the bullshit these people sling at you.

@ gold rounds

It's come to the point where I realized that gold rounds just allow me to play badly, by fighting

tanks from the front that I have no business fighting at all (flanks notwithstanding).

Certain conditions dictate you shoot gold, but wherever possible I try not to. Depending

on fire rate and ammo storage, I usually pack no less than 5 and no more than 10.

@Chinese tanks

Dunno, don't play them. Type 59s wherever spotted are an automatic priority target. My first

premium tank was was a super pershing back before gold rounds for credits, and they were

the bane of my existence. The anger and frustration has held fast, and is applied to every

tank I take into battle.

What's the point in using Au rounds on the following: an almost dead tank, arty that can be easily raped with regular AP, and an bottom tier tank? Because this happens to me on a irregular basis.

What's the point in using Au rounds on the following: an almost dead tank, arty that can be easily raped with regular AP, and an bottom tier tank? Because this happens to me on a irregular basis.

The true question is why you are using Au to refer to gold. Seriously. Doesn`t help anyone. 

I also believe that the horrors of gold spam are often overstated. I had an AMX 12T rage out at me for me hitting him with APCR when he was tracked and happened to be the first thing I saw. I didn't load APCR to kill YOU, I loaded it to deal with the hulldown STI that was spotted near you.  I'm not going to take a 13 second reload to hit you with AP to not hurt your pubbie feelings.  I've had this happen several times in the last few days.  One with my T69 who was fighting 8 heavies.  A random scout popped up and I hit him with HEAT. He immediately went in to butthurt mode.  I am in the "I wish gold was a limited quantity per round" camp, but some tanks would be downright TERRIBLE without it, and some stock grinds monumentally frustrating.  You ever try to do T10s with the Comet's gun for the Cent 1 grind WITHOUT gold? Good luck.

I still have to wonder why everybody gets so butt hurt over gold rounds when AP would have killed them just as dead. If WG starts making you pay for rounds shot at you, then I will care. I dont know of anybody that would take a chance on an enemy getting away because they wanted to change ammo type,

I have to agree it depends on the tank, Pershing APCR is really good, Panther 2, not so much.

I also believe that the horrors of gold spam are often overstated. I had an AMX 12T rage out at me for me hitting him with APCR when he was tracked and happened to be the first thing I saw. I didn't load APCR to kill YOU, I loaded it to deal with the hulldown STI that was spotted near you.  I'm not going to take a 13 second reload to hit you with AP to not hurt your pubbie feelings.  I've had this happen several times in the last few days.  One with my T69 who was fighting 8 heavies.  A random scout popped up and I hit him with HEAT. He immediately went in to butthurt mode.  I am in the "I wish gold was a limited quantity per round" camp, but some tanks would be downright TERRIBLE without it, and some stock grinds monumentally frustrating.  You ever try to do T10s with the Comet's gun for the Cent 1 grind WITHOUT gold? Good luck.

It depends on the tank. I've had matches in the AT-15A or the AT-15 where literally every single shell that hit it was HEAT or APCR.

I still have to wonder why everybody gets so butt hurt over gold rounds when AP would have killed them just as dead. If WG starts making you pay for rounds shot at you, then I will care. I dont know of anybody that would take a chance on an enemy getting away because they wanted to change ammo type,

I have to agree it depends on the tank, Pershing APCR is really good, Panther 2, not so much.

That kinda goes along with one of the crap threads I made on the standard forums about the subject. Aside from just being extremely annoying for armored tanks, the premium ammo itself isn't balanced across the vehicles that use it. M26 vs Centurion is probably a better example than the Panther II. Tanks that are normally balanced around abnormally high standard pen compared to its rivals get proxy-screwed by this, which IMO is a badly under appreciated problem with the game right now.

The true question is why you are using Au to refer to gold. Seriously. Doesn`t help anyone.

I occasionally use the Periodic Table and it's (slightly) faster for me to type the Latin abbrievation rather than using the 4-letter shell type or "Gold" itself.

Because taking that reload timer when you don't want to is dumb.

If I'm sitting on 3/6 shells in my 13 90 and I know I'm not going to be shooting anything for the next 40 seconds because I need to get around to the other flank, yeah, ok, I'll reload.

If I have APCR loaded, 6/6 shells because I was about to gank a tier 10 and a T71 goes flying by me on an arty suiscout... guess who's getting 20000 credits in the ass.

Similarly... if I have a HEAT shell loaded in my Leo 1, or APCR in my T110E4, and a tier 8 presents itself... oh well, fuck you anyway, because that 8-16 seconds of reload might fucking get me killed and that's not worth 4k credits.

I occasionally use the Periodic Table and it's (slightly) faster for me to type the Latin abbrievation rather than using the 4-letter shell type or "Gold" itself.

We're all very impressed with your vast knowledge.

It's a good thing being understood is a nonessential part of communication.

Lease if it works.

Silence is Au-en

It's the Au standard

Not sure it saves time.

I almost never use gold in matches where I'm top tier because if I can't play well enough to pen same and lower tiers and hit weak spots then I'm doing it wrong. If I come up against an E-100 in my Caernarvon you can bet I'll take the credit loss for the win.

It's a good thing being understood is a nonessential part of communication.

My boss' father-in-law was some bigwig at GE, and said bigwig collected aphorisms of the type that appear as wisdom to those kind of folks.  The one my boss passed on to me that I remember is "The problem with communication is the perception that it occurred."