bobross

Is Tracking in Pubs Worthwhile?

I've been trying to improve my play, and one of the things I've seen mentioned quite a few times is that tracking enemy tanks is a good thing.  Unfortunately, when I'm playing peakaboom I often don't have a track+damage shot, so its either or.  This might just be me being a really bad shot, lowest graphics, 20 fps, and a slight tremor in my hand make precision shooting a huge pain, but the end result in my situation is I can either track or do damage.  If I can do both I try for that shot.

Anecdotally, more often than not when I track an enemy tank none of my pubbies take advantage of it.  I was in a BT7 game on Steppes, had a T29 permatracked cresting a ridge for a good 30 seconds.  He couldn't do anything and was the only heavy on the opposing team.  Instead of chewing him to bits my team just ran off and died.  This was a case where I couldn't get damage on my track shots and I had been hoping my team would see that a tank well suited to the terrain on Steppes was just sitting there waiting to die.  Between shots I checked and made sure my pubbies had LOS and everything... they just didn't pay any attention.  Same thing happens when I only have a tracking shot on a peakaboom heavy all the time :/

If I have the option of either tracking the enemy in the open or doing outright damage, which should I choose?  I don't feel like pubbies can be relied upon, but when they do take advantage the results are usually pretty great.  Is the risk of them being tards worth the reward when they do put shots into the tracked tank?  Granted, my sample set for actually paying attention to this is pretty small, so hoping ya'll can share your experiences with this.  Am I putting too much emphasis on tracking?  Should I just keep tracking until I get a better feel for when it will pay off?

It's generally most worhtwhile if you can shoot the front drivewheel at an angle, so you can penetrate for damage AND track the enemy. At a corner you can create a situation where you can fully destroy him without him being able to retaliate.

In other situations, it's.. well situational. If somebody is crossing a wide open field, by all means, track him and watch him get destroyed. Is he a one-shot: just kill him.

Has the battle just started and is he close to cover: he'll just use his repair kit and get in cover.

and I can go on to describe a few more situations. But do remember that low alpha guns sometimes need more than one trackshot, to destroy the tracks.

It depends on the pubbies a lot. Even when playing solo if I see a valuable target get tracked I will sometimes retrack him to keep him in the open and killed rather than going for an extra damage shot and leaving him the chance to scurry back into cover. Learned from experience when a JP E100 got tracked, I got one penetrating shot into his side and he trundled into cover. He managed to blast 3 more tanks before we killed him. Perhaps keeping him tracked and in the open would have killed him sooner. Maybe not.

To expand on what Rutger said a little bit, even burning a tanks repair kit early in the game has benefit later on. Every little thing that you can do to hamper an enemy's ability to perform later will help you and your team. If your team can shoot a tank while you're tracking him, do it. If not, get the damage in and hopefully he'll retreat into cover, letting you do it more. Hopefully you'll be able to track AND damage in the same shot by shooting the front (or rear, depending) drive wheel, but if not make sure you know what situation is best and how to take full advantage.

he'll just use his repair kit and get in cover.

That is still worth it sometimes, force him to burn a kit early.

EDIT: LOL read down the HL's post after, already mentioned...oh well :P

I have absolutely no idea how tracking works. 

When I need the track to happen, it wont. When I don't need tracking shots, my carefully aimed weakspot shots

sail wide into the tracks and I end up perma-tracking an enemy unintentionally. 

Someone mentioned it has to do with how much your shot does, and the higher the caliber / damage

the easier the track. It doesn't seem like this is always the case. I often find it just as difficult to track things

in heavies as I do in mediums.

Is there any hidden stat or mechanic with regards to tracking shots I may not be aware of?

I have absolutely no idea how tracking works. 

When I need the track to happen, it wont. When I don't need tracking shots, my carefully aimed weakspot shots

sail wide into the tracks and I end up perma-tracking an enemy unintentionally. 

Someone mentioned it has to do with how much your shot does, and the higher the caliber / damage

the easier the track. It doesn't seem like this is always the case. I often find it just as difficult to track things

in heavies as I do in mediums.

Is there any hidden stat or mechanic with regards to tracking shots I may not be aware of?

Look at any one of your vehicles. See the bigger wheels at the front and back ends of the tracks? If these get shot, they take double (I think) module damage, which means that equal-tier guns can often take them off in one shot. If you hit the tracks in other wheels, you'll only do a third (I think) of the module damage, so it's unlikely that you'll get a detrack shooting there.

To get a detrack + damage shot, the shell needs to penetrate the hull after going through one of the vulnerable wheels. This means that if you shoot the wheel that's further away from you, the shell might go through the wheel and out the other side without touching the hull, so you'll get a detrack but won't do HP damage.

Can someone clarify whether HE shells do more module damage, and if they're subject to the same 'shoot the drive shaft' rule as AP shells?

When you have to choose one or the other...

Times where zero-damage track shots can be worth it:

• running an autoloader and need to keep them out to take advantage of your clip
  • strong players working with you
  • they will kill you if they are allowed to keep moving towards you
  • they are trying to decap your team
  • you need them tracked in order to circle them.  
  • a light tank streaking through your team 

Times when you should just go for damage:

• they are a one shot
  • no one can take advantage of it, even if they wanted to do so
  • long range shots can be better to just aim center of mass
  • they are already in the open, and can't get to cover quickly even with functional tracks
  • you can follow them behind their cover safely because they are alone
  • you are trading damage and need to stay ahead

If you plan on tracking a tank, often it is worthwhile to call for fire on it with the "T" button.  

Look at any one of your vehicles. See the bigger wheels at the front and back ends of the tracks? If these get shot, they take double (I think) module damage, which means that equal-tier guns can often take them off in one shot. If you hit the tracks in other wheels, you'll only do a third (I think) of the module damage, so it's unlikely that you'll get a detrack shooting there.

To get a detrack + damage shot, the shell needs to penetrate the hull after going through one of the vulnerable wheels. This means that if you shoot the wheel that's further away from you, the shell might go through the wheel and out the other side without touching the hull, so you'll get a detrack but won't do HP damage.

Can someone clarify whether HE shells do more module damage, and if they're subject to the same 'shoot the drive shaft' rule as AP shells?

I should've clarified that I know about the drivewheel stuffs. It just seems totally random as to whether or not shooting

it is going to track.

I've blown up in teamspeak a few times about it.

Great info nonetheless. Thanks

Tracking is also very effective on city maps when you can track them before their gun clears the building. Then its a field day if you are driving an auto loader.

Seems to depend on what gun you´re carrying. I ALWAYS track what I want (if I hit) with russian/chinese 122mm on heavies and do damage. But with anything on T5/6/7 with 75mm gun or less its just too random, especially shooting bigger targets. Try to practice with some bigger gun - iirc M6´s 90mm was good enough or anything with sufficent caliber that you got at your garage, really.

Different guns have different, hidden, module damage stats, as well as every tank having different, again hidden, module HP values. Secret hidden game mechanics best game mechanics.

Sorry going to read the thread after posting this:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/999206#self

Tracking / assistance damage FTW basically...

Tracking... yeah best if they can't shoot back. It depends on your situation... but it can be worth it, for example as a bottom tier when you can't really do damage or if you can permatrack and do damage yourself... especially in those peek-a-boom situations. 

Did you try calling for fire on him? I think that's T? If I'm where I can see a tank that someone is calling fire on I will do what I can to shoot it. Pretty sure that's a teamwork thing.. mostly unheard of in pub matches.

Playing a Cromwell bottom tier getting rushed by I top tier heavy, the satisfaction of my panic-tracking shot leaving him stuck in front of the guns of most of my team I counted 4 impacts after he went kaboom. Everyone loves an easy target.

It's generally most worhtwhile if you can shoot the front drivewheel at an angle, so you can penetrate for damage AND track the enemy. At a corner you can create a situation where you can fully destroy him without him being able to retaliate.

In other situations, it's.. well situational. If somebody is crossing a wide open field, by all means, track him and watch him get destroyed. Is he a one-shot: just kill him.

Has the battle just started and is he close to cover: he'll just use his repair kit and get in cover.

and I can go on to describe a few more situations. But do remember that low alpha guns sometimes need more than one trackshot, to destroy the tracks.

I second this. In peekaboom situation front drive wheel is track and damage. The damage is just less the remaining hit points in the target tanks tracks hit point pool.  If they are a large tank and maybe silly enough to have enhanced suspension equipment, that could reduce your damage significantly.  This resets each time the tracks are repaired, so best done with high alpha damage tank, which is best for peekaboom anyway.  PERFECT is to track them when their gun is still behind the building and wail on that front drive wheel.  While tracked it no longer absorbs any of your damage and every shot is full damage.  

Detracking an enemy can do wonders to the team's use of focus fire. While they distribute their shots over four targets if all of them move, they suddenly focus as soon as one of them can't move anymore.

Also, detracking can be nice to leech off credits. When there is an enemy in the sights of several of my teammates and i am driving a low-alpha premium tank, then i'll just detrack him and rake in credits for the assisted damage, much more than i would have gotten for a damaging shot.

Does anyone have tips and tricks for peekaboo permatracking? I find it difficult to hit the front sprocket wheel as the enemy pops out of cover before he has emerged far enough to shoot. I tried holding my shot until he tries to back down into cover with decent success, but it's still not certain and there is a higher chance to miss completely.

Has anyone tried not hugging the wall but to wait in the middle of the street, to enable the enemy to shoot one without having to drive out all the way, then to detrack him as he stops to shoot, and then to back down to the wall to a place where he cannot shoot one anymore?

no. I only track so I have a follow up shot. if somebody else shoots it meanwhile, great.

when tracking for others nothing happens. tank sits there... nobody looks.

I assumed that HE with its bigger alpha will help get that initial track if your using a smaller caliber/alpha gun vs. an enemy with an expected high track module hp pool.

eg. my tier8 light trying to track a tier10 heavy

As mentioned above, once tracked the module hp to re-track is much lower (half?) so reloading standard AP to re-track and pen the side hull will usually work.

I havent seen too much clarification on this 'hidden mechanic' but it appears to work this way.