Haswell

SimCity 4 - WoTLabs Edition

In spirit of the city-building hype, I decided to fire up my SC4 again for lulz. With mods obviously, but even I get bored of the routine of building successful city clusters after a while.

So I need a twist. You guys should help me fill the region. Pick your grid and name your city. Tell me how you want to put WoTLabs into a world of pixels. Decide whether you want smog city or a farmland or a shine to wrestling.

Here's the empty region right now:

SJRaral.jpg

Not all grids are the same sizes, some are 2x2 large. First come first serve. One grid per user for now, unless a group of you want your cities interconnected.

And yes, I'm too lazy to manually mark down every grid coordinate. Every grid is fair game.

D2. Karealot. A religious mecca to save the other heathens cities with lush trees for contemplation on sharing and karing. Also secret police to enforce said karing on dirty unbelievers. Can i haz lasers? anyway I helped!

Sim City 4 is far and away the best one. Do you have the rush hour expansion?

What size are your typical city blocks?  

What is your general transportation design?

H8 looks like a fine place to start.

Edit: forgot the twist.

Spell "WOTLABS" with the downtown roads and zones?

Draw a bit tomato with farm land in the center of the city?

"Mayor Rating is Luck"?

B8-C8 (the tip of the 2 rivers crossing and the ocean)

Name: Mansura

Relies heavily on commerce, especially on export/inport from it's ports (hence its strategic position in regard to waterways).

I have SC4+RH installed on steam but haven't played in a looooong time, was never very good at it either.

What are recommended mods for it?

Sim City 4 is far and away the best one. Do you have the rush hour expansion?

Yes

What size are your typical city blocks?  

I generally prefer smaller blocks in clusters, easier to manage

What is your general transportation design?

Up to you

H8 looks like a fine place to start.

City name?

Edit: forgot the twist.

Spell "WOTLABS" with the downtown roads and zones?

Sure

Draw a bit tomato with farm land in the center of the city?

You want farms in the middle of your city? No problem

"Mayor Rating is Luck"?

Mayor rating is stadpad

The region so far, can't wait to start populating it.

4eH0pWF.jpg

I have SC4+RS installed on steam but haven't played in a looooong time, was never very good at it either.

Um... I think I have CAM and NAM, then a bunch of other stuff, then more stuff, etc...

My mods folder is a clusterfuck.

I have SC4+RS installed on steam but haven't played in a looooong time, was never very good at it either.

What is RS?  Are you referring to Rush Hour, or is there something else?

---

Regarding many of my questions, I was actually curious generally, rather than for this specific city.

For instance, I'm a fan of a combined Bus/Subway system, with bus stations adjacent to nearly every subway station in the city.  It takes little space, makes money, is more flexible than just subways, and has better capacity than just buses.  I was wondering how YOU have solved traffic problems.

Also, I typically use 8x12 city blocks.  These are big enough to put many different types of buildings inside them later without ruining your transportation system, and until then, has space for a 2x6 plot of trees in the center of nearly every city block.  Inefficient use of space?  Definitely, but city planning becomes a breeze and the sims like trees.  How small did you make them?  I got sooooooooooooo fed up with 7x7, 7x8, and 7x9 plots that didn't fit anywhere...

E2-F3

Name: Manhattan

Type: Metropolis with small roads, a massive park in the middle and subway as the main means of transport. Should the sims refuse to use trains let them die of old age from gridlock.

The small land mass on the bottom left is to henceforth be referred to as New Jersey at least for this region. That region is to be only industry, have no connection to Manhattan and have no garbage disposal.

OOuncr5.jpg

:kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :kitty:

What is RS?  Are you referring to Rush Hour, or is there something else?

---

Regarding many of my questions, I was actually curious generally, rather than for this specific city.

For instance, I'm a fan of a combined Bus/Subway system, with bus stations adjacent to nearly every subway station in the city.  It takes little space, makes money, is more flexible than just subways, and has better capacity than just buses.  I was wondering how YOU have solved traffic problems.

Also, I typically use 8x12 city blocks.  These are big enough to put many different types of buildings inside them later without ruining your transportation system, and until then, has space for a 2x6 plot of trees in the center of nearly every city block.  Inefficient use of space?  Definitely, but city planning becomes a breeze and the sims like trees.  How small did you make them?  I got sooooooooooooo fed up with 7x7, 7x8, and 7x9 plots that didn't fit anywhere...

I use trains and subways, and lots of bus stations. Lots of avenues and highways too.

I generally reserve a building grids of 14x14 to for starters, then I tweak it if I want specific zoning and buildings to pop up.

How are you planning to keep nyan cat visible once the plots have developed?  

Town name: Flavio's Village.

Area: Mountains around L15 or so.

Small farming town. (Can you make 1 big mansion for the village Elder/Water distributor and the rest smaller houses?)

How are you planning to keep nyan cat visible once the plots have developed?  

I dunno, use neon lights?

Is there something like a mod manager for SC4 or you have to do the modding manually? It's been years since I played it.

Everything is manual. Not too big of a problem since you will never have too much of anything, it's a matter of what dependencies are missing.

E2-F3

Name: Manhattan

Type: Metropolis with small roads, a massive park in the middle and subway as the main means of transport. Should the sims refuse to use trains let them die of old age from gridlock.

The small land mass on the bottom left is to henceforth be referred to as New Jersey at least for this region. That region is to be only industry, have no connection to Manhattan and have no garbage disposal.

I'm thinking of calling that area the Garbage Can, then a smaller city for the lid.

B5-C6

terraform bunch of islands, only accessible by water taxi.

rich zone

Taxi Islands it is.

E1-F3

Name: Winkler

Small industrial/agricultural city

no high rises

E2-F3 is Manhattan, will you take E1 or F1?

Current region:

0LG9R2m.jpg

Nyan-Tropolis:

A0wAnLX.jpg

Um... I think I have CAM and NAM, then a bunch of other stuff, then more stuff, etc...

My mods folder is a clusterfuck.

I remember toying with NAM, which traffic presets you use?

I want to get in on this, but can't build until the weekend, at least. Phuket, I'll drop the money on a steam version, rather than searching for my original disks...

Area I want is taken.  I'll grab B14-C15 instead.

I'll call it WN8 Yellow.

High population.  Mediocre in most areas, but happy, because they live4fun.