Zezti

T-62A - a love/hate relationship

I unlocked this tank just as the T-62A event ended last month. Nice to get such a big discount on a tier 10. It's my second tier 10 behind the FV4202.

Its took me a while to get used to it and I'm at around 50 battles now. The lesser hull armour compared to the T-54 is noticeable and I don't like the amount of times an Obj 704 has snap shotted and pen'd my turret cheeks. Other than that, It's great to bait shots from big derpy guns like a Jpz which bounce off the turret sides all the time, then go up and tear them apart with the raw DPM. The gun depression means I've been playing it similarly to the T-54, just without relying on the hull armour as much and pulling back before I take return fire.

Its gun is quite nice. Low alpha admittedly, but the penetration, RoF, aim time and dispersion is lovely. It could be bad play on my part, but since the recent accuracy nerf I'm really noticing my shots that are 90%-99% aimed are missing more often than I think is acceptable. So a complimentary FU WG.

It does seem to struggle against bat chats. Close quarters there's no chance to bounce his shots, but I guess most meds are vulnerable to BCs and T-62A is nothing special.

Now about the love/hate relationship. My games are almost all hit or miss. As in, I get massive games with like 10k WN8 then a game where I go to the middle of that snowy city map (the oldish one) and get clipped by an AMX 50b.

I have a game where I do 6.4k dmg, link: http://wotreplays.com/site/1723301#self

8669965dad2de3ac32947668c927fa8f.png

Then a flop of a game where I bounce off everything, bat chat turrets, Obj 140 rears, 907 sides, etc and don't hit the expected damage value.

I'm not sure where I stand with this tank. I'm not the kind of man who issues ultimatums but I need to know if my feelings are reciprocated.

What do you guys think? I'll ask you not to come here and say "herp derp 140 is better". This is about the pros and cons of the 62A.

I have 3 of the 4 RU meds (no 430) and I got the T-62 the most recently.

That being said the 140 and 907 have allowed me to better bring my gun into play because of the slight speed and gun depression increase. Honestly the T-62 is a good tank but I find myself saying why play it when I have the 140. 

Again I only have like 200 battles between 140 and 907 but I think the differences are significant. 

MhkN0zq.png?1

I've got both the 62a as well as the 140 and the main reason I so much enjoy my 62a is the sheer fact that the turret can't be overmatched. Part of the turret of the 140 can be penned as well as the cupola is bigger. If I get my 62a hulldown, I fell comfortable taking a strong aggresive spot and sit hulldown, knowing there isn't much that will be able to pen my turret. I've a got replays from last patch I'd post if I can find it racking up 6.2 k damage absorbed. And if I had taken my 140 that probably would not have happened, Primarily from E-100's and TD's. In most situations the 140 is better I agree but in certain cases I'd rather have the 62a than the 140. The on the move accuracy is negligable but you will tend to see more shots land. I'm rather surprised that the 704 is able to pen the turret with a snap shot I do not believe it should be able to.

I think that it really depends on the map when it comes to the role a T-62A plays in the battle. Some maps that do not have that amazing hull-down spot you know immediately to go to directly off-spawn, I feel like you cannot be as aggressive in taking that forward position. For example, on Swamp. Either spawn you start at, you will likely be fighting on the hills to the north/south of the swampy area. Due to lack of depression you obviously can't sit and snipe without exposing your entire hull, so it forces you to play a bit more of a passive role in early game, taking only occasional pot-shots and backing down off the hill. There are of course, various pub tactics you could use but this is just an example. On the flip side, take a map like Malinovka, where from the south spawn you can rush up the hill immediately and almost single-handed-ly prevent enemy tanks from pushing up the north side of the hill, due to the incredibly effective hull-down position allowing you to brawl as a front-line tank.

Another factor I think is important to be aware of is your team. As a medium tank, always try to keep in mind that your ability to carry comes in part from the fact that most mediums are support tanks, when compared to heavies whose role is to lead the charge. In my experience, your effectiveness in a medium is multiplied exponentially when you are supporting other tanks. Whether it is a heavy push, spotting for TD's, or wolfpacking with other mediums, I feel that being able to get in your damage while not being the center of attention on a flank is where a dpm tank such as the 62A excels. This is of course, a rather broad statement that may not apply in all scenarios, but I try to keep this in mind myself when observing my pub team's spread.

That is all I can think of for now, hope you don't mind the read [: I personally enjoy my 62A very much, though I do have the Obj. 140 as well. I find myself playing the 62A more however because I enjoy the impressive strength of the turret but also the challenge of the limiting gun depression, as I feel that it really helps you to get to know maps better when you are forced to take very specific positions in order to even aim at your targets.

GL out there!

What do you guys think? I'll ask you not to come here and say "herp derp 140 is better". This is about the pros and cons of the 62A.

Herp derp 140 is crap 62A is best RU med. Won a match lastnight because i survived 2 tier 10 TD rounds off its glorious roof, (268 bounced, jpe 0 damaged the cupola), then got to sidehug an E100 to death (they pretty much have 0 chance of penning you). I don't find the "Extra" depression to be worth anything when the mickey mouse ears of the 140 are so easy to hit. 

The 140 shines at long range engagements where the depression and short turret limit the view of the tank and chance of being overmatched from range is at a minimum. The 62A shines at mid-short range where you can bring the strength of the turret into play. Every and i really do mean EVERY map has multiple hulldown positions where you can use the turret, many might not even be obvious to you however when in engagements just seek something to hide your hull, and unless you are in an open field chances are there is something to abuse.

The 140 shines at long range engagements where the depression and short turret limit the view of the tank and chance of being overmatched from range is at a minimum. The 62A shines at mid-short range where you can bring the strength of the turret into play.

While this is true, the 62A does have a more accurate gun at .36m dispersion, whereas the Obj. 140 has .38m. This, and the 140's extra degree of depression allow it to be more versatile in taking positions that may be closer to the enemy than the 62A, hence the decreased accuracy. In my opinion the 62A makes a better sniper than the 140 because of the accuracy. Long ranges also tend to negate the lack of gun depression as well.

While this is true, the 62A does have a more accurate gun at .36m dispersion, whereas the Obj. 140 has .38m. This, and the 140's extra degree of depression allow it to be more versatile in taking positions that may be closer to the enemy than the 62A, hence the decreased accuracy. In my opinion the 62A makes a better sniper than the 140 because of the accuracy. Long ranges also tend to negate the lack of gun depression as well.

The closer you are in a 140 the higher the chance you will get overmatched through the roof.  .02 accuracy doesn't really change it that much. The 140 is safer at long range as its fuel tanks and ammorack are very weak in its front hull, and more likely to take module damage then the T62A.

The closer you are in a 140 the higher the chance you will get overmatched through the roof.  .02 accuracy doesn't really change it that much. The 140 is safer at long range as its fuel tanks and ammorack are very weak in its front hull, and more likely to take module damage then the T62A.

Hmm, very true about the module damage. Albeit I probably do spend more time in medium/close range with my 62A myself! Though I do honestly feel like the 140 is less accurate when it gets to 400-600m range, even when fully aimed in I am not as sure about my shots as I am in the 62A.

It does seem to struggle against bat chats. Close quarters there's no chance to bounce his shots, but I guess most meds are vulnerable to BCs and T-62A is nothing special.

Ram them, and keep pushing. If you manage too stick to them all they can hit is your turret which more likely than not will bounce. Ram them in the side and the chance to de-track them is good which means they can not get away. You can also push them against walls or other objects to prevent them from getting away far enough to shoot your hull.

While the 140 has slightly better overall w/r, dpg, shots bounced than the 62a I'd like to share anecdotally that the turret is more resilient than it appears in Tank Inspector. I hit a low health 62a (65 hp) for 23 damage with an HE shell out of a 128 mm yesterday. I don't know how that's even possible. RIP. Cost our team the game. Tears were shed. There was wailing, gnashing of teeth, and the rending of garments.

I had the same problem with the 140 as you have with your 62a. It's so fast and so good you ted to be overconfident and go to very agressive spots that may end up very badly. 

Now I'm on a new acc and I had to stop playing ru meds untill i fix my lag issues but when I get back I will try the 62a now. For some strange reason I transformed into a heavy player and now I need all the armor possible.

It might just be because I got the Obj 140 first, but I still prefer it over the 62A.  I don't have too much trouble with getting the roof overmatched, probably because a majority of the people in the match don't know that it's a thing/it's hard to hit most of the time, but the extra speed in the 140 and the extra degree of gun depression are something that I've grown used to.

Not to say that I do bad in the 62A or anything, but it just seems frustratingly slow compared to the zippy 140, even though it's like a 5 kmh difference.

Dat turret tho

I know that the RU meds, specifically the T-62A and Object 140, are god tier but I'm not a fan of either. I do much better in the M48 than either of them; the difference in alpha makes a huge difference in peekaboom effectiveness for me. Gun handling and comfort are super important, though, so the same escalation of alpha doesn't make the Chinameds better in my eyes.

Gandaran covered the differences really well between the two, though. When I do play them, I play them as he described. 140 in a more sniper-like and supportive role and T-62A in close range hulldown engagements.

Any news on the effects that the HD change will have in 9.9?

• Reworked 14 vehicles in HD quality: Type 62, AMX 50 100, FCM 50 t, Churchill VII, Caernarvon, Conqueror, Panther/M10, VK 36.01 (H), M6A2E1, T23E3, M46 Patton, T110E3, T110E4, Т-62А

I love my 62a, I don't really enjoy the 140. The 140 has module problems galore. KT hates the 140, Anfield leans towards the 62a as well. 62a is much more resilient in terms of module damage and obviously the turret. And 1 degree less gun depression ain't that big of a deal, usually you can adjust your tank a bit and find some more gun depression.

Originally I wanted to grab this tank because I saw Garbad's replays in his, not to mention how good looking this tank is (even before HD). I ended up grabbing the Object 140 instead (about a year ago) and I absolutely sucked. I just gave up and sold the 140 to fund my IS-7 grind. 

Decided to give the T62A a shot because I absolutely hated the 140's turret and module issues (because I was really reckless in it). 11/10 - totally worth every credit. It's a very nice change from the E100's gun and mobility. Gun depression hasn't been an issue yet, lots of terrain to give artificial depression.

I see the potential in the 62a and I'm slowly getting better in it - but how can there be this much disparity?

62a - 46%

140 - 65%

That's pretty much the same situation I have with the 140 and 62A, only reversed

The 140 is just better than the t-62A.

-'The turret' which everyone loves to rave about. Sure the t-62A turret is better but if your relying on it to camp hull down you are playing the tank wrong. The 140s turret is just as effective in general play.

-Hull down is easier in the 140. The extra degree of depression DOES make a difference no matter what you say, also the hull is better angled on the 140 leading to more effect UFP armor which comes into play when going hull down. The amount of times ive been penned in the ufp of the t-62A when trying to go hull down is countless.

-Camo is better

-55 top speed is noticeable vs 50 especially for early spots

-gun handling is a wash, 50 hitpoints dont matter

I seriously dont understand why people keep insisting the t-62a is better, because after playing both the 140 just does everything better and the only reason you could like the t-62a instead is the turret which in the hands of a skilled player isint more useable than the 140s.