Crimson Corsair

World of Tanks has the most unique in-game community I've ever interacted with.

It's not even treating them like garbage that fully causes it.

I light an arty in my 50B. My reticle is small enough that I don't need to aim. First shot out, then 2.6 something seconds later I destroy it with my second.

So then he goes on this entire rant about hacks and warpack. I try to explain to him that sixth sense has a 3 second delay but he just disregards that and continues to accuse just about every Top 5 clan of using some form of cheat.

And the sad thing is, a good chunk of his team agreed.

I agree that what you said needed to be said, but people are weak nowdays and if this guy is constantly getting crapped on by better players, of course this guy is going to have a shitty view on good players....that's all I'm saying.

I think the main source of the hate is in game XVM.

This.

I played Dota actively for 5 years or so and that game is notorious for its toxic community. However, since stats aren't easily accessible during a game, people rage and flame about misplays(whether real or imagined). While that also sucked, at least the game had to actually begin before the hating started. I also spent a while playing the original Dota in a league that displayed elo, WR and some other stuff before a game and that was a complete shitfest. Anyone better than you became a maphacking no-lifer, anyone worse a noob. It wasn't uncommon for a lobby to get cancelled before the game even started.

In my opinion PvP games should never have stats visible to other players, especially during the game.

Never experienced shit from a unicum that I didn't start. Got called a smurf the other day in the wotlabs channel playing on my na account. By someone with over 1k TC games in his hellcat, 1k in his kv1s etc. I made a remark about the minions voice mod making a tg funnier because they sing ymca every time you kill something and he sperged. Being old and grumpy I just assume un-provoked bile is just them acting out their own problems on the internet, annoying but not soul eating. He maybe felt a little insecure. Garbad has actually been rational and pleasant, most of you here have if you're any good because you are secure in your status as gud@tenks. Even Antonio could be polite. Only stopped hanging around for a while here because the signal - noise ratio went a bit high. Came back because I missed Deus patting me on the head and reassuring me that one day I wouldn't be shit and Solono being himself.

I reassure myself it's just the internet and sadly I probably come across much better that I do in RL.

By no means a unicum myself, but I've some comments.

I can understand how the pubbies might come to despair at having to face much better players than them-

Doing anything in which your personal actions might come to have minimal impact is never any fun-

What I don't understand is the defeatist mentality so many of them seem to have.

Whenever there are a few more greens/blues on the other team, there's always someone on my team who acts as if the battle's already lost.

They seem to simultaneously give up and deny any personal responsibility they might have.

This is demoralizing to me because, well, they've just become another burden around my neck.

So I tell them to shut up, that I'll drag their asses to victory kicking and screaming if I have to.

Sometimes I manage it - and those wins against the odds are always the most satisfying-,

sometimes I fail, but I'm always confused and a bit angered by

1. the sense of entitlement they have at being carried by better players on their team.
  2. their unwillingness to improve

I've even had much worse players on my own team complain about my performance on a loss-

even on occasions where I've managed to do 30-40% of the enemy team's health pool in damage- and that's just astounding.

I can abide mediocrity. In anything you do, most people aren't going to be very good.

I just can't abide people who simultaneously complain and aren't willing to improve themselves.

Us pubbies don't just hate unicums. no real Unicum racism going on.  we just hate everyone.

Its not XVM -- the sperg started long before XVM.  Honestly, its probably just the frustration of having to rely on 14 people, at least half of which can't spell their own name.  Having the 50% exp bonus for winning was probably what did it.

The in-game reaction to "better players" pretty much reflects real life. If you are really good at something, people will be jelly. If you dare to show that you are good, you are arrogant. If being good gets you some sort of advantages in life (like ... A DECENT LIFE) you are a money grabbing prick with no morals who rips on poor people. 

Blaming others for own shortcomings always works. 

Its not XVM -- the sperg started long before XVM.  Honestly, its probably just the frustration of having to rely on 14 people, at least half of which can't spell their own name.  Having the 50% exp bonus for winning was probably what did it.

^ This pretty much this. It gets annoying when you get sunk by some idiot turning your good game into a mediocre game by losing it for you, so you get a little mad. Then they turn around and say its not my job to win it for you, there are 14 other people on the team, they should have done something. And it just kinda ends up in a circle of raging. A bit unfortunate really. 

As dumb as this may sound... WoT is a free to play game for ages 13+ (sometimes even younger players)... When unicums get accused of hacks and shit don't take it so serious. I just ignore chat most of the time and don't even rage much as I used to (unless getting shot at by arty...) I laugh whenever people are talking about wallhacks and aimbot...

I love seeing these posts, because I couldn't disagree more. I find that the younger the player is, the easier it is for them to be influenced and be taught that they are bad and need to improve. Hell, me and a few others players in BULBA alone are prime examples of it. I started this game at the age of 11, and am now one of the top players playing this game. it's the OLDER players who say stupid shit because they're older and don't like being told they're stupid. I could not give two shits if you're 50 and served in the army, if you're insulting me over my play, I'm going to insult you back. (This is not saying I don't like veterans, just people who whip out their army-peen whenever insulted)

In fact, I find that younger players don't play this game nearly as much as older players do, simply due to the fact that kids don't really enjoy history; whereas you have these older players playing for old tanks like the Tiger and Panther. I have gotten over 20 of my irl friends (hell, even my girlfriend) to try and play the game, and not a single one likes it/is above a 45% winrate after 200 games. It's not a game that can be learned easily, especially if you're older. However, being younger allows for easier processing of information, which allowed me to become a top-level player without even watching twitch/youtube videos.

I love seeing these posts, because I couldn't disagree more. I find that the younger the player is, the easier it is for them to be influenced and be taught that they are bad and need to improve. Hell, me and a few others players in BULBA alone are prime examples of it. I started this game at the age of 11, and am now one of the top players playing this game. it's the OLDER players who say stupid shit because they're older and don't like being told they're stupid. I could not give two shits if you're 50 and served in the army, if you're insulting me over my play, I'm going to insult you back. (This is not saying I don't like veterans, just people who whip out their army-peen whenever insulted)

In fact, I find that younger players don't play this game nearly as much as older players do, simply due to the fact that kids don't really enjoy history; whereas you have these older players playing for old tanks like the Tiger and Panther. I have gotten over 20 of my irl friends (hell, even my girlfriend) to try and play the game, and not a single one likes it/is above a 45% winrate after 200 games. It's not a game that can be learned easily, especially if you're older. However, being younger allows for easier processing of information, which allowed me to become a top-level player without even watching twitch/youtube videos.

True enough. While this is the only game I play competitively that I could be considered legitimately good at, it took a long time and a lot of work for me. I started playing when I was 25, and I spent a very long time as a ~55% player. Now I bounce around anywhere from 65-70%, and the only reason is that I spent 3 years hammering myself with information and mistakes I made until I improved.

That said, I don't think the issues with the player base are age specific, I think they're personality specific. Some people are too stupid/ignorant/stubborn to change what they're doing when they are flat out wrong. And any adult that deals with teenagers can argue that this is a trait exhibited by the younger generation easily as much or more so than the older. So, with all the ageist shenanigans being tossed around, I think it's likely a wash between older and younger, and comes down to individual ability.

Can probably blame Garbad for a lot of the hate unicums get, the official forum was far less toxic before he started shitting all over it.

Truth. I thought all purples where huge d-bags until I started watching QB, which led me to watching other streamers...now I know the truth, garbad is just an asshat.