HairlesMonkyBoy

T71 Replays by Map

There is already a pretty extensive thread available to read up on T71 equipment and tactics etc, but there aren't really many replays available there, so that is what this thread will be: a repository of my best T71 replays. I play my T71 almost daily and I use the VBaddict Active Dossier Uploader so it will be pretty easy for me to update this post with recent replays. I want to try to get several from every map and organize them so they are easy to navigate.

To see my T71 stats, Crew Skills, Equipment, and consumables visit http://www.vbaddict.net/tank/hairlesmonkyboy-na-58abde21d84cad88f1007d27df110513/usa-2/t71-61

The below games are available as replays from vbaddict and as videos on youtube

A Youtube playlist of all of the below.

Malinovka:

69B2LZO.png
Watch on Youtube

bKVS9nD.png
Watch on Youtube

Murovanka:

PeamCg4.png
Watch on Youtube

JGOt0nP.png
Watch on Youtube

Fiery Salient/ Prokorovka:

LfWXWlg.png
Watch on Youtube

CCgtO6l.png
Watch on Youtube

Ruinberg/ Winterberg:

G0eCIPn.png
Watch on Youtube

Swamp:

mtR1EM3.png
Watch on Youtube

Lakeville:

y2JplCp.png
Watch on Youtube

Sand River:

u8lPMdz.png
Watch on Youtube

Westfield:

XyIo07D.png
Watch on Youtube

Redshire:

NubtMCJ.png
Watch on Youtube

Ensk:

GFkr54R.png
Watch on Youtube

Stalingrad:

gijRufw.png
Watch on Youtube

El Halluf:

8VjcjvT.png
Watch on Youtube

mX824ph.png
Watch on Youtube

Hidden Village:

zn8LGeK.png
Watch on Youtube

Fisherman's Bay:

yHCFiZo.png
Watch on Youtube

7oYLc8r.png
Watch on Youtube

Himmelsdorf:

b0vro9O.png
Watch on Youtube

Sacred Valley:

TETGFYG.png
Watch on Youtube

Mountain Pass:

aywEmgG.png
Watch on Youtube

Cliff:

qQfxI6C.png
Watch on Youtube

Northwest:

gIBOFcH.png
Watch on Youtube

Airfield:

qGcROOB.png
Watch on Youtube

dc6WjTE.png
Watch on Youtube

Windstorm:

r1ATFeA.png
Watch on Youtube

Karelia:

iGgw7D5.png
Watch on Youtube

Highway:

lC7viw0.png
Watch on Youtube

Brilliant!

I would love to see someone do this for every tank. Imagine what a resource that would be particularly for new players.

My thoughts exactly. I was considering doing it for some of the tanks that I feel I excel at. we'll see how much interest there is first.

Yes very nice, would certainly like to learn more light tank play especially on closed in city like maps, so thanks for this.

Feel free to make suggestions. I intend to post more examples from each map but I can make a point to focus on requests.

Wonderful!

Thanks for this. Looking forward to seeing more help for scouts in the current brawling meta.

I only really enjoy playing lights and fast TDs. This type of example is a huge help!

Would be great to get these on YouTube.

I know Tazilon had his critics, but it was nice to have all those YouTube videos so accessible. Too bad they are gone.

The other nice thing is they were sill there after updates (until they all got removed).

Cheers!

Wonderful!

Thanks for this. Looking forward to seeing more help for scouts in the current brawling meta.

I only really enjoy playing lights and fast TDs. This type of example is a huge help!

Would be great to get these on YouTube.

I know Tazilon had his critics, but it was nice to have all those YouTube videos so accessible. Too bad they are gone.

The other nice thing is they were sill there after updates (until they all got removed).

Cheers!

That would take quite a bit more effort on my part, but it might be something I do with only my best battles if the interest is there.

I've watched all your replays, and definitely picked up a lot.

A few things that I noticed to change in my gameplay. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Equipment:

Change Binocs for Optics. The amount of movement/aggressive play doesn't seem to allow Binocs to kick in often enough.

Currently using Vents instead of GLD. Probably going to keep it that way and save the gold (much of a difference?)

About the Large repair kit. Is it worth it when not taking a fire extinguisher? I noticed when you did catch fire on Westfield, it was handy to fix all the hurt modules. I usually run with small first aid, small repair, small fuel.

Gameplay:

You take much more aggressive spots than I have in the past. What I notice, is that instead of just giving good spots to your team, it denys good spots for the enemy team. (Especially on Lakeville, Malinovka, Swamp, Westfield)

It looks like you often shoot without aiming all the way and still hit most shots. I've always fully aimed, but it doesn't seem that I need to and can limit exposure more.

Know when you can pen. I probably shoot way too often at the front of tanks. I've noticed you wait for a good side shot or spot instead if shooting at the front of a vehicle. Also noted that you rarely (if ever?) shot any of the 12 HEAT shells you carry.

Learn tank reload times. You know exactly how many shots you can get off after someone shoots (seems to usually by 3).

Pre-turning your tank for a faster getaway. I've got to do this more. I realized I'm lazy with it, and it gets you out of bad situations much faster.

As far as more replays. It would be nice to see more on Scout-Unfriendly maps and the newer maps. Stalingrad was useful (I never know how to play that one). Though I get the impression on city maps, you're just taking your opportunities when you see them. Not much spotting to be done there. And you can't really deny a location to anyone in a scout on city maps.

This has all been great to take in. I've always sucked in my T71. I don't think I ever really got the hang of that type of auto-loader. I've mostly done well in the Leopard, VK 28.01, ELC AMX, and now the RU 251. I'm looking forwar to giving the T71 another shot.

Hey,

I guess this would be pretty applicable even for the Amx12t and onward tanks that I grind through right now, right ?

Could You possibly point out if there are any limitations on french vehicles compared to this T71 guide that You know of ?

thx ;)

+1 Romanista, what a great post. I'm going to go through your list of items and respond according.

Equipment:

Bioncos vs Optics. The choice of binocs or coated optics depends on your play style and the level of your crew. I'd say that as long as coated optics puts you over 460m view range that they are the better choice. I personally prefer to have at least 470m.

GLD vs Vents. I only use the GLD because I have greater than 470m view range without vents. For anyone who doesn't have BIA, Situational Awarness, and Recon (most people) I would recommend the vents.

Large Repair Kit. If you aren't going to use a fire extinguisher, the large repair kit is definitely the way to go. Every time they go on sale I buy 100-200 of them. Usually I use Large Med, Large Repiar, small fuel, but lately I've been trading the med kit for Cola (which I also bought many of when on sale) and I've been really enjoying that.

Gameplay:

Deny the enemy good spots. This is one of the primary ways that you can carry a game in an LT. Know the routes that the enemy will take to get to key locations of the map and try to light them on their way in the early part of the game. This provides early intel for your team, potential early damage, and the enemy team may stall to take cover when their 6th sense goes off, allowing your team to make it to those key locations first.

Aiming.do aim in all the way when firing. Only on the rare occasion when I have a fleeting shot opportunity do I fire without aiming. The replays may be misrepresenting this. In addition, the GLD allows me to fire off fully aimed shells at the 2 second reload time regardless of the range.

Know when you can pen. This is true for all auto loaders. You only get a limited number of shells per drum before you have to reload. It is very important to make them count. Regarding the 12 HEAT shells i carry, I only very rarely use these since in most cases they are less reliable than the standard APCR. They have no normalization and cannot penetrate spaced armor and tracks. I only use the HEAT shells when I am alive toward the end of a tier IX or X battle and it is vital to victory that I pen and kill a heavily armored vehicle like an E75 or E100 etc.

Learn tank reload times. This is important for medium and light tank play in general. If you are supporting a heavier vehicle in a fight, it is your job to stay alive and do as much damage as you can. This means that whenever the enemy shoots and is on reload, you should be poking out to deliver an appropriate number of shells. It is also important to remember that you also have HP that you can use as a resource. Taking a hit to save your heavier friend is often a game-winning tactic.

Pre-turning for an easy getaway. This is something that I learned to do when I was relatively new to this game and spent a vast majority of my in-game time playing the pre-nerf T-50 and T-50-2. Especially in the one-shot-kill T-50, it was vitally important for me to escape at the very moment I was lit. It is definitely a good habit to develop.

Hey,

I guess this would be pretty applicable even for the Amx12t and onward tanks that I grind through right now, right ?

Could You possibly point out if there are any limitations on french vehicles compared to this T71 guide that You know of ?

thx ;)

Many of the positions and flanking tactics that I use in these replays can be used in any mid to high tier LT. The french LTs have better camo and a shorter reload time, but worse gun characteristics than the T71. They also have generally less view range except for the 13 90. The T71 is a much better sniper than the french lights too. with the shorter reload, worse dispersion and lower penetration, the french lights have to get up close and personal or shoot gold in order to do damage.

Thanks for the insight...By the way, do You have any preferred software for playing older replays ? I downloaded something, but it wasn´t working.

Regarding the frenchies - I haven´t played any other light tank above tier 5, so I can´t compare with the T71, but You´re right, that it isn´t that effective while sniping, but sometimes You just have to snipe, especially at the start of the game. You would probably get off 2 shots for 1 of mine though. (I don´t care much about these t6-9 tanks, I just want to get the Bat, but definately not planning on struggling the whole 500k or w/e grind)

+1 Romanista, what a great post. I'm going to go through your list of items and respond according.

Equipment:

Bioncos vs Optics. The choice of binocs or coated optics depends on your play style and the level of your crew. I'd say that as long as coated optics puts you over 460m view range that they are the better choice. I personally prefer to have at least 470m.

GLD vs Vents. I only use the GLD because I have greater than 470m view range without vents. For anyone who doesn't have BIA, Situational Awarness, and Recon (most people) I would recommend the vents.

Large Repair Kit. If you aren't going to use a fire extinguisher, the large repair kit is definitely the way to go. Every time they go on sale I buy 100-200 of them. Usually I use Large Med, Large Repiar, small fuel, but lately I've been trading the med kit for Cola (which I also bought many of when on sale) and I've been really enjoying that.

Gameplay:

Deny the enemy good spots. This is one of the primary ways that you can carry a game in an LT. Know the routes that the enemy will take to get to key locations of the map and try to light them on their way in the early part of the game. This provides early intel for your team, potential early damage, and the enemy team may stall to take cover when their 6th sense goes off, allowing your team to make it to those key locations first.

Aiming.do aim in all the way when firing. Only on the rare occasion when I have a fleeting shot opportunity do I fire without aiming. The replays may be misrepresenting this. In addition, the GLD allows me to fire off fully aimed shells at the 2 second reload time regardless of the range.

Know when you can pen. This is true for all auto loaders. You only get a limited number of shells per drum before you have to reload. It is very important to make them count. Regarding the 12 HEAT shells i carry, I only very rarely use these since in most cases they are less reliable than the standard APCR. They have no normalization and cannot pen spaced armor and tracks. I only use the HEAT shells when I am alive toward the end of a tier IX or X battle and it is vital to victory that I pen and kill a heavily armored vehicle like an E75 or E100 etc.

Learn tank reload times. This is important for medium and light tank play in general. If you are supporting a heavier vehicle in a fight, it is your job to stay alive and do as much damage as you can. This means that whenever the enemy shoots and is on reload, you should be poking out to deliver an appropriate number of shells. It is also important to remember that you also have HP that you can use as a resource. Taking a hit to save your heavier friend is often a game-winning tactic.

Pre-turning for an easy getaway. This is something that I learned to do when I was relatively new to this game and spent a vast majority of my in-game time playing the pre-nerf T-50 and T-50-2. Especially in the one-shot-kill T-50, it was vitally important for me to escape at the very moment I was lit. It is definitely a good habit to develop.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I took your recomendation on equipment. I'm running with Cola to get my view range up until the skills are there. I have BiA, but no view range skills yet. (Just finished my 2nd skill yesterday).

I've also got a lot of large first aid and repair from the last time they were on sale.

I've spent the weekend trying to put these points into practice. My WR and WN8 for the T71 are way better as a result (Thank You).

I still need to work on relocating to get a better penetrating shot. I find I still bounce way more often than in your replays.

I'm also having to shift my playstyle to be more aggressive denying spots/locations to the enemy. (Steap learning curve here. I often push to far as I'm learning. I'm used to playing much more defensively and it's hard to abandon those habbits),

What I have noticed from all of this: With this playstyle you are much less limited by the maps. I use to see a map load and know what 'spot' I like to go too. Now I'm trying to be much more flexible. Any bush or ridge might do depending on how things are going.

Still a work in progress for me. But I'm having a blast with this tank. It may even dethrown the ELC or T67 as my favourite tank.

This is probably my best replay after trying this weekend to put these points into practice:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1731634#self

This is probably my best replay after trying this weekend to put these points into practice:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1731634#self

Your Welcome, and that is a great game. I noticed that you play at a pretty low frame rate. I'd recommend doing what you can to get at least 20fps, but more than 30 is preferable. Personally, I like to get above 45 and 60 is ideal.

Replays age pretty fast. It's probably worth archiving in another format.

I did some research and found some software and settings that I think result in a decent quality video without too much time investment on my part. I've added a youtube link to the first replay in my list.

Your Welcome, and that is a great game. I noticed that you play at a pretty low frame rate. I'd recommend doing what you can to get at least 20fps, but more than 30 is preferable. Personally, I like to get above 45 and 60 is ideal.

Sadly I'm stuck with low FPS. I average around 15.

I'm running on an old laptop that is about as optimized as I can get it.

It does hurt the gameplay though. FPS tend to drop when you need them the most.

Glad you're getting some games up on YouTube. Already subscribed.

3 more on youtube for a total of 10/20. Should have all 20 done by Monday. They are all in a playlist. I'm looking forward to doing this with different tanks. I've noticed improvement in my own play from watching and analyzing all of these replays.

3 more on youtube for a total of 10/20. Should have all 20 done by Monday. They are all in a playlist. I'm looking forward to doing this with different tanks. I've noticed improvement in my own play from watching and analyzing all of these replays.

It's great to have them up there. I've been watching them on my phone. Handy to think about improving your gameplay just about anywhere.

and to think, i thought i was doign pretty well in my t71... ;_; first game in the set is over my max of 3500 lol.

I think this tank is pretty underrated anymore honestly, its still a great tank. I love my t71. Never ever ever ever selling it. The feeling of dealing top or close to top dmg in a t9 match in a scout while matching it in spotted is a mix of pure hatred and awesomeness.. oh well. time to get my shit up to two marks already.

and to think, i thought i was doign pretty well in my t71... ;_; first game in the set is over my max of 3500 lol.

I think this tank is pretty underrated anymore honestly, its still a great tank. I love my t71. Never ever ever ever selling it. The feeling of dealing top or close to top dmg in a t9 match in a scout while matching it in spotted is a mix of pure hatred and awesomeness.. oh well. time to get my shit up to two marks already.

The T71 is definitely underrated currently. Too many players are far to concerned with the amount of damage they can deal in a game and they miss other important factors to carrying and winning in an LT. WN8 probably has something to do with this since it can't factor in assist damage. It is true that on average the M41 can do more damage in a battle, but it is far less suited for scouting. Its much larger size not only makes it an easy target, but also prevents it from using bushes and other cover that the T71 can. The M41 also has inferior maneuverability which in addition to it's larger size, makes it more difficult to escape from unfavorable engagements. Additionally, I find with the M41 that I am often holding onto 5 or fewer shells in my clip because of the long 33 second reload, whereas with the T71 I almost always have 6 shells going into an engagement thanks to the quick 19 second reload.

Agreed. Do you think that while playing scouts its more important to have others deal the damage for you, or to actually deal the damage and make sure for yourself that target is going down? I find that i do try to scout as much as possible, but i often dont leave it to my teamates to deal the damage. I try to deal whatever damage i can whenever i can. Im not sure if this is hindering my LT win rate/survivability or its just me being the shitter i am.

Agreed. Do you think that while playing scouts its more important to have others deal the damage for you, or to actually deal the damage and make sure for yourself that target is going down? I find that i do try to scout as much as possible, but i often dont leave it to my teamates to deal the damage. I try to deal whatever damage i can whenever i can. Im not sure if this is hindering my LT win rate/survivability or its just me being the shitter i am.

These days, it has to be a balance of both, and the right balance can be very difficult to achieve depending on the map.

If I go back to when the T-50-2 was the ultimate scout, light tanking was much more specialized toward scouting. Camo worked differently, the maps were designed differently and there were no higher tier LTs to compete with and outclass me.

In this T-50-2 game on Reshire, I don't even fire my gun until the 9 minute mark and I only do a total of about 300 damage, but my scouting leads to almost 6k spotting damage and the destruction of many high tier vehicles (most notably that very unfortunate T54E1); This was a huge contribution to the game. Note the I am the only light tank in the entire game and that I play as a purely dedicated scout.

Simillarly, in this T-50-2 game on Malinovka my combination of passive and active scouting earns me over 12k spotting damage and definitely carries the tier X game, but I hardly do any damage of my own at all. This is another example of almost pure dedicated scouting with a bit of counter scouting.

Compare those to my more recent (and much better quality) videos on Redshire and Malinovka and it's clear that I still do a LOT of scouting. But, I also get my gun in the game anytime when I can:

• Fire without the enemy returning fire or whenever I'm reasonably comfortable that they will miss (hull down).
  • Fairly confidently flank an enemy vehicle without putting myself in too much of a compromising position(usually latter in the game when I know where all or most of the enemy tanks are).
  • Strategically kill an enemy vehicle that "needs to die" even if I have to trade some HP to do it (the other flank is losing and the tanks on my side are being cowards).
  • Rush past enemies holding a corner if I'm unlit and they are on reload so I can turn there turrets and encourage my team to push. (same reason as above).

Knowing when to hold your shot is also very important. In my standard battle on malinovka I pass up dozens of shot opportunities in order to stay passive, keep myself alive, and keep the enemy lit for my allies. In that scenario, my team was be able to do much more damage to the enemy using my spotting than I could have done using my gun.