HairlesMonkyBoy

T71 Replays by Map

I added another game on Airfield. Same side as the one already there, but this game was so damn good I couldn't not put it up.

Tier X game

3,798 damage

7 detections

uBoXtHe.png
Watch on Youtube

I start off the game by getting some early lights on the enemy tanks heading toward E7. I spend the mid part of the game sniping and supporting the allies near me as we win the south. Once the south is won, I start looking for flanking opportunities in the central part of the map. After annoying a 50 120, and carouselling an IS-3, I clip out a Bulldog. Once my clip is reloaded I pull into the center of the map and finish off a 50B and put some of the last few shots into the last opponent vehicle.

I'm using FRAPS to record the replays. The files it produces are absolutely HUGE (30+GBs), but it has several advantages that I like:

• The files are huge because it doesn't do much to compress them during recording. This means there is more CPU power available to run the game, but you must have a fast HDD.
  • It allows you to customize the frame-rate of the video. I use 30fps on all of mine.
  • It has a frame-rate locking feature that locks the framerate of the game to the frame-rate of the video. This eliminates stuttering and produces a much more visually appealing video imo.
  • Unlike most recording software, it will work on games even when using SMAA Injector, Sweetfx, ENB series, or any other similar post-process shader injector package. This doesn't apply to WOT but it is handy for games like Fallout: New Vegas which I simply cannot play without Sweetfx.

After I have the games I want recorded, I use Tencoder to convert them to H.264 files so I can upload them to Youtube. This converter has several features that I like:

• Its FREE!
  • You can add several video files to the cue and it will convert them all sequentially (over night for instance).
  • It has a frame-rate pass-through setting which preserves the original frame-rate of the video, again to prevent stuttering.

<p>

I'm using FRAPS to record the replays. The files it produces are absolutely HUGE (30+GBs), but it has several advantages that I like:

• The files are huge because it doesn't do much to compress them during recording. This means there is more CPU power available to run the game, but you must have a fast HDD.
  • It allows you to customize the frame-rate of the video. I use 30fps on all of mine.
  • It has a frame-rate locking feature that locks the framerate of the game to the frame-rate of the video. This eliminates stuttering and produces a much more visually appealing video imo.
  • Unlike most recording software, it will work on games even when using SMAA Injector, Sweetfx, ENB series, or any other similar post-process shader injector package. This doesn't apply to WOT but it is handy for games like Fallout: New Vegas which I simply cannot play without Sweetfx.
After I have the games I want recorded, I use Tencoder to convert them to H.264 files so I can upload them to Youtube. This converter has several features that I like:
  • Its FREE!
  • You can add several video files to the cue and it will convert them all sequentially (over night for instance).
  • It has a frame-rate pass-through setting which preserves the original frame-rate of the video, again to prevent stuttering.

Thanks!

And thanks again for going through the effort. That's a lot of work! I was hoping you had an easier way.

I use 1080p 30fps 12Mbps when I compress the video so if you do out the math it comes to 900MB for a 10 minute video, but that seems high to me. I think it uses a variable bit rate up to 12mbps not a constant bit rate of 12mbps so it comes out a bit smaller than that.

Nice collection of videos!  Thanks for putting in the time and effort to provide a nice resource for players showcasing some solid LT play.

I noticed you're running 100 Octane in most games which seems an odd choice - are you just trying to save credits?  Cola would provide the same benefit along with a whole lot more.

A general comment - your videos show a lot of high risk early scouting runs/positions (Mali standard, Prok, Westfield, etc).  I've personally moved away from using such positions because they are so easily countered by an enemy light tank and when you get spotted you are pretty screwed.  For example on Malinovka, that bush is great but if the enemy T71 or ELC comes field you are in a bad spot.  On Westfield you were very lucky not to die.  On Prok your scouting run across the train tracks nets less damage to the enemy team than you take.

There's really very few maps left where the early vision is worth the risk.  Most often anything you spot can't even be shot by teammates and just spotting them provides little useful information.  Even on Malinovka, while the early field spot nets a bunch of damage, it encourages your team to sit at base for too long and you end up losing the strategically important hill.  The game on your youtube is a perfect example - your team hangs around for about two minutes, then eventually gets torn up as they try to push up the hill.  After that, if the enemy tanks had turned around and returned to base instead of charging down the hill into the Rhoomba's gun, you guys probably would have lost the game.

It's kinda too bad, as I always enjoyed those game where you could just do some nice spotting early and watch the enemy team get ripped apart.  Unfortunately, that rarely happens anymore.

I actually ran a bunch of games the past few days, so I tried out the Malinovka bush site twice.  The T71 is particularly good for it because it is narrow enough to cover yourself from all angles.  It didn't work out the first time because no one stuck around to shoot the stuff I lit, but the second game things when very well....

ZUMA7EU.jpg

How do you guys get 3 marks in this. Fluctuating around 93

It usually takes one epic game to put you over the edge when you are hovering near it. It probably doesn't help that people like me and dualmaster are inflating the numbers lol.

I'll take a stab at a response to this when I get home tonight. Thanks for the post.  :thumbup:

I like running the 100 Octane gas because I’ve noticed that it provides a larger boost to maneuverability than the Cola does, and since I have a 5 skill crew I don’t necessarily need the other benefits of Cola. I often run with both fuel and Cola with just a large repair kit, but that gets pretty expensive. Running with Cola and no fuel is certainly also an option. I suppose it depends on the skill of your crew and the style of your play.

I have to admit that I get pretty frustrated when a 200WN8 42% winrate nub accidentally counters my methodical high-risk early scout run (usually killing himself in the process), but overall  I still get WAY more enjoyment out of this game when I’m involved in high-risk high-reward situations. I do make efforts to prevent it from happening. For the bush in Malinovka, notice my approach. Instead of staying low to avoid pre-mature detection, I ride the edge of the dip there, ready to duck down if the situation calls for it. This is for two reasons: most importantly it allows me to spot any light tanks that are moving through the field or toward the same bush that I am before it's too late, and it allows me to spot poorly camouflaged vehicles a bit earlier. If there is an enemy scout in a compromising position I simply bail out and instead head toward the ridge at D7 to spot vehicles moving up toward the hill.

On Westfield, the exact path I take keeps bushes between me and any LTs moving up the hill in the south. And, by design, I spot the Bulldog without giving him any opportunity to spot me back. I definitely made a mistake by assuming my camo was good enough to fire my gun, and you are absolutely right that I was lucky not to die, considering I was lit on fire… However, much more often than not, I am able to successfully leverage the bushes in that south-eastern corner of the map to root out any less diligent LTs, mediums, or TDs that are sitting waiting for shots. If I have support and I do it in a timely fashion, I give my team a significantly greater chance to win. I have a similar strategy that I use when coming from the south. I first use the bushes to spot LTs (if any) moving down the 0 line. If I feel reasonably confident that they aren’t there or are all dead, then I methodically move up the 0 line until I get to about H0-G0 and spot any mediums or LTs sitting by the bridge at F0 while taking any shot opportunities on vehicles across the valley. I’ll post an example of this if I get a chance. Like before, if I have support, and I do it in a timely manner, I give my team a much greater chance to win.

On Prokorovka, those early lights are more about giving my team intelligence on enemy positions than dealing early damage. Knowing approximately how many vehicles are going to the hill and deductively how many are going to the 1 line can be very useful information to knowledgeable players. I do tell the arty on my team to pre-aim for the early shot, but I find that artillery players rarely understand that they can fire a shot as they load their first shell, and then keep moving. Admittedly I haven’t played arty in a very long time, but this is always what I would do in my S-51 back in the day and it would work out quite well. I assume since arty reload times are generally longer now it should work even better... In my defense, the snap shot from that T69 was fairly lucky. I should have waited until I was unlit before I went back across the tracks, though (and I usually do). If you watch my other Prokorovka game (which I just fixed the link for) I do a similar scout run from the north spawn. I spot several of the enemy top tier heavies as they cross the tracks so my team knows what to expect, and I proceed to get uncontested side shots on the Tiger II and M103. If there was artillery in the game it would have had an even more devastating result.

As far as your comments on the Malinovka game (regarding encouraging teammates to sit at base), I’d have to respond by saying that, ultimately, I am not responsible for my teammate’s actions. As an example, if you were on my team that game, I know you would have appreciated my early intel for what it was worth, but would have weighed the importance of capturing the hill in your decision to camp and snipe or not to. Even if you had decided not to snipe at all, the information that I provided would have given you a good idea of what to expect when you finally did reach the top of the hill. So in short, I like to play this game as if my teammates are competent tankers. And the best thing for me to do in an LT in that case is to provide them with as much information about enemy movements as I possibly can. What they do with the information is ultimately, and sometime unfortunately, up to them.

Thanks! But you don't have to wait to be in a T71 to utilize many of the tactics that I use in my videos.  There are many LTs in the game that are suitable for some of the scout runs and nifty spots that you'll see in my videos. Good luck on the battle field!

For anyone who is interested, I started a thread in the Purple Poaster Replay Place sub-forum with this content and more called . Check out the OP there to see my plans for adding content to the thread.

Had a 9.2k spot, 2.2k damage game on prohrovka encounter

http://wotreplays.com/site/1843331#fiery_salient-lowlife555-t71

In his defense, you did spam a lot of gold unnecessarily and I'm honestly surprised that so many of your shots pennetrated considering you were shooting most of those tanks in the tracks. Pretty lucky. GG though.

I have a similar game in my WZ-132 which you can find on my other thread 

Bioncos vs Optics. The choice of binocs or coated optics depends on your play style and the level of your crew. I'd say that as long as coated optics puts you over 460m view range that they are the better choice. I personally prefer to have at least 470m.

GLD vs Vents. I only use the GLD because I have greater than 470m view range without vents. For anyone who doesn't have BIA, Situational Awarness, and Recon (most people) I would recommend the vents.

Hi! I just bought this tank and moved the crew from the T21, they have two skills and since there's no more a radio operator I have the commander with 6thS and Camo, so no Situational Awareness and Recon and view range is stuck at 400m without equipments or consumables. To reach 460m without binocs I need Vents, Coated Optics and Cola, this give me a VR of ~468/469 which is good but I think it's costly for me. Without cola I'd have a VR of 450, this is a little too low right? If I run Binocs instead of Optics I'd have a 500m VR without Vents which then becomes useless because the 500m cap, right? So if I don't want to spend for Cola I should go for Vstab-GLD-Binocs? I don't mind sitting in bushes and play as a proper scout (I think until I'll have a good value Situational Awareness, probably never) expecially in the fist stage of the match and as far as I understand T71 is a better dedicated scout than many other like the Bulldog due to it's smaller silhouette. By the way, playing like this makes a Camo Net a little more useful? I have an almost 100% camo crew and the paint job too since it's very cheap but maybe I could use the Camo Net too, or is GLD still more useful?

Thank you again for all the guidance!

I recently got the T71 and it seems to be a keeper.

What a amazing little vehicle!

Will subsribe to your YT as soon as I'm home