Gryphon_

Modding WOT - The Big(World) Picture

I was involved in modding another game years ago - IL2 Sturmovik - and that required java coding skills and a lot of reverse engineering to discover the game structure and then mod it.

WoT is built on BigWorld, which runs on C++, Python, and uses xml or mySQL for data storage. I see that pretty much all the mods out there are written in python and xml, so I assume the C++ and mySQL is used serverside. The modded files I've decompiled seem to replace or add to the original files as allowed by the developers (the 'res_mods' vs 'res' arrangement). This accommodation is good, however, looking further into how mods are created from scratch in this game it seems that modders run up against the same problem the IL2 guys did - the BigWorld API isnt published anywhere unless you buy a license as a developer in your own right. The WoT Developer access given to the community seems to cover just API access to the database to query it for stats or tank info. There is no 'how to' guide for python coders to use so that they can create mods, without going down the usual route of decompiling in-game pyc files (or modded ones), trying to figure out how it works, and then building something new and hoping that it works.

The BigWorld forums are closed to those that dont have a license; is there any forum out there (in English) where the BigWorld engine is discussed in a modding context?

If not, is there a better way to get into modding this game, other than the usual reverse engineering way?

I too am interested in this also, most of my stuff has been the old reverse engineering methods and a lot of time browsing KoreanRandom.

I have started to have issues with some later mods from Russian developers though where they are able to obfuscate code making reverse engineering incredibly difficult. De-serialising isn't an issue but if a hex editor looks at the code it has the right magic number but the rest is just jargon :/

I found this site, seems to be the BigWorld API documentation. 

Found that a while back and some of it is out of date, it's documentation from 2-3 years ago and there are more 'big' changes coming in the next version for 9.7 :(

Ok well I guess its a whole lot better than nothing. I have no doubt that more classes will be developed as time goes by, but most will inherit the legacy classes for convenience.

To the community at large: is there any interest in starting up a modding community here to review mods, improve them, legalize them, check legality through testing, etc?

Wotlabs could be a great home for that sort of thing; we shouldn't have to be entirely dependent on the russians for extensions and mods to this game. Post if this sort of thing interests you.

I would be interested but I just find what I can on KoreanRandom at the moment, pretty much the only source with everything I need to find/know in 

@Gryphon_,

I know this is a bit late but

To the community at large: is there any interest in starting up a modding community here to review mods, improve them, legalize them, check legality through testing, etc?

I am very interested. I have to admit up front my knowledge is pretty much 0. I have gone full try-hard mode though because I want to revive MeltysMathMod sight (saw its not supported anymore). I was able to find the source code for it I think and I'm trying to figure it out. Would be intersted to hear what you're doing, if anything. Would be happy to help however I can.

I suggest the way ahead is to start a topic with a clear objective, post a link to the resources, and see what happens..!

Hey guys; seeing this thread is over three years old (yikes lol), I thought it may not be too late to chime in, because I may have some good news for you guys.

I've recently found BigWorld Engine 2.1, the source code for the server engine, client engine, and "testing engine", the "Indie Edition" and Community Edition, an absolute butt load of documentation on the entire BigWorld Python and C++ library; as well as quite a few, very, very long PDFs vividly explaining how to do this and that. And I'd be not reluctant at all to share this with you.

I'm currently in the process of reverse engineering the entire game, server and all, for patch 0.8.2; mainly because I like old versions of the game, and would very much like to recreate them, as WoT "Classic" was a huge hit with me.

I've turned on notify me for thread replies, so if you do reply I should see it. My Discord is coke#0001 and my WoT name is the same as it is on here. Look forward to working with you two.