Tankthief

Wn8: Green is the new Yellow

If you see a green making bad plays at higher tiers I find that it's "usually" an indicator of padded stats. If you look them up after battle you will definitely 

find them playing 2-3 specific tanks(~1k and above games) at lower tiers that are ideal for bloating wn8 stats. I've seen a quite a few players like that. 

"Gofy" players running a 3 man platoon are a prime example of this. 

^this

Before my improvement, I was one of those greens. I had stats that made me seem a lot better than I was because I played a ton of low tier matches. I didn't like high tier matches because I knew I'd get smashed. Low tier play is a lot different than high tier play, so a lot of the superderp greens in tier 8+ could be those people who are only green at tier 5. For example, a green tier 10 platoon I ran into last night with ~45% in their tier 10s with 50% overalls.

Also remember that green is the new yellow. The scales changed a bit. When they added in teal and then changed back to mostly normal when they changed the color to light blue and dropped black. This means what was black is now dark red, dark red is red, red is orange, orange is yellow, yellow is green, green is dark green, dark green is light blue, blue is still basically blue, purple is still shit, etc

This. Its all about your ratio. I've seen Unis from here potato hard on occasion....tbf it is REALLY rare you see it,that is why they are purple. Someone mention people "padding to green" that's a load of bollocks there are just as many padded blue and purples around the place. I've slaughtered loads of "blues" and "purples"....not as many bluenicums or unicums though....

It's really all perspective: -snip-  Are they in a good clan, are they in WGLNA, do they play skirmishes? After a while, pubstars don't really impress me, it's more about what you can do in the endgame.

Kinda my way of seeing good players also...

1. WGL
  2. ESL
  3. CW
  4. Good clan
  5. Good stats
  6. Pubbie

Basically, once I met guy from Virtus pro in randoms, he gave 0 fucks to all our team. Top notch player > stats.

Green players are usually way more cocky than the average uniscum or perma-blue and also usually start the most fights in chat I've noticed because they are "above average" making them obv better than all players.

Other than that I look at wn8 to W/R scale because tournies only go so far because WGLNA was cancerous as hell and I cant call camping "good" I call personal skill and individual ability to carry in any circumstance pub matches to CW to Tournies any situation to carry on a consistent basis or atleast contribute your own part and then some. Is a good player

Yellow shit lord reporting in!

I'll tell you the problem, I read these forums too damn much and get pumped up all like 'oh yeah icandoooeet!'

Then I go tilt all over the place

Right now a good session for me is keeping my pie hole shut and not worry about any one else.

I've had a few games this week that would make many wonder if green (as I appear in game) was the new RED.

Every one derps, the weaker colors more than most.

^this

Before my improvement, I was one of those greens. I had stats that made me seem a lot better than I was because I played a ton of low tier matches. I didn't like high tier matches because I knew I'd get smashed. Low tier play is a lot different than high tier play, so a lot of the superderp greens in tier 8+ could be those people who are only green at tier 5. For example, a green tier 10 platoon I ran into last night with ~45% in their tier 10s with 50% overalls.

Being better in a tier isn't always because of padding. Like, I'm a lot more confident in my tier 8 play than my tier 10 play because I've had like 1.5k battles at tier 8 because of grind tanks and credits while I've only had about 200 battles at tier 10 since my tier 10s are shit, and I was trying to grind more tier 10s once upon a time. (Those estimates include the fact that I've been smurfing to play a lot of tier 8/10 tanks I don't own.) I mean, I still pull 3k+ WN8 in tier 10 rather easily with a boatload of TKing incidents and tank experimentation (I've learned that the Ob 263 actually is shit), but it can definitely be higher since I derp much more often at tier 10 than in tier 8.

I am disappointing a ton of people. I keep getting messages like "Why do you play like shit when your stats are so good????/" because I just came back and don't understand the maps yet.

e: also my recent WN on wotlabs is bugged to shit and won't update. It's really like 2000.

Really, beyond pure and darkest red, the real difference between yellow and blue is the difference of the number of shit games you have in between your good games.

This x1000000.  In one game, I'll get a first hit engine knockout courtesy of Dualmaster (made me look like a complete joke), the next I'll run my Type 61 for 6k damage and 5kbs.

Admitted: I'm a total shitter. I pub almost 100% on tilt. I fucking despise pubs with all my being. This means it takes almost nothing to make me go full fuckit-YOLO mode. But I have to grind out those X's somehow so I can start playing CW and actually having fun.

I am disappointing a ton of people. I keep getting messages like "Why do you play like shit when your stats are so good????/" because I just came back and don't understand the maps yet.

e: also my recent WN on wotlabs is bugged to shit and won't update. It's really like 2000.

Could you please change avatar? I always think it's Paaranoja but it isn't :(

Really, beyond pure and darkest red, the real difference between yellow and blue is the difference of the number of shit games you have in between your good games. I am assuming that once players that have got over the 'tanking without reason' phase (and it appears some never do) and start to apply some methodology to their play that they do start to get some good games. 

As an example, I am a dead average player. I have some great games, some good games and some shit games. My main problem is not the inability to have decent 3-6k WN8 games on a regular basis but having too many games where I do nothing effective, get isolated, pick bad situations and don't gtfo when it's obvious I need to and get sub 500 wn8. If I could rub out the bad games, (I am trying), then my average would be better. But you might catch me in a game where I just get it wrong. 

So the problem of less good players is not their ability to play a good game, it's the inability to spot bad situations and avoid them effectively. This is why a perfectly decent player sometimes bugs out. We've all seen purples have ineffective games, it's just they don't have them very often whereas players like me have them a lot. 

And I am not suggesting that I am as good a player as a purple but with less situational awareness, I also appreciate my armour use and shot selection is also in need of improvement as well as a thousand other little things I could do better. What I am suggesting is you will always find players of any skill level doing dumb shit and the higher up the levels you are the more dumb some shit looks. The very fact greens do stupid things is because they haven't learnt how to spot and avoid them - otherwise they'd be blue players.

I agree that this is the case - to some extent. I've been platooning with a lot of players of blue and below skill level as part of my mentoring school I had over the past few months. How my mentoring worked was usually that I would dictate where we went and explained why we did on the fly. I also tried to think aloud while playing so that people could 'get inside my head' and understand what I did and why.

While during this I noticed a few things from my 'students': Quite a few green/sub-blue players could understand what I was saying/noticing, they just couldn't see it before I had already pointed it out. A good example was when it was time to bail on a flank or when it was time to push to avoid defeat/flanking or how the enemy team composition affected our deployment. The blue players were better at seeing what I saw for the most part whereas most of the green and below players had a harder time to notice before I had already pointed it out.

I agree that the mechanical skills are already in-place at yellow-green levels and that most of them know how to angle, aim for weakspots and so on. Therefore they can all have monstergames where they just kick ass because they are being fed more than actively seeking out the damage (which links in with your consistency).

Now I don't play with XVM at the moment, but when/if I am I use it to see how many sneaky manoeuvres I can get away with compared to the player skill. I've noticed green and below usually tunnelvisions significantly on their own flank. This is something I can exploit quite often by pushing the other flank or moving into flanking position (while spotted) and start to rib them apart. Here a blue and purple player will have a better situational awareness and look at the minimap and notice that I am flanking and react before I get into position. 

Another example would be about map knowledge - if I am playing against green and below player then I can stay in more advanced positions because the chances of the enemy players knowing how to counter this particular position will be slim (it can happen though). Blue players will more likely know how to counter a given position I take which means I have to pull back earlier. 

TL:DR - the consistency (or lack thereof) is a product of map knowledge and proper situational awareness. The better map knowledge and situational awareness you have, the more consistent you will be as you will avoid situations that leads to derp games. Of course derp games can't be avoided by even the best players as several of you have correctly pointed out.

Also: Good to see you are on WotLabs, Beep. Long time no see ;)

Have people noticed that a lot of red and yellow players seem to "forget" you are there after you go dark again? When you pop back out they have their turret pointing at a different target and they just become a free lunch then.

I used to do it myself a lot..

:-(

A lot of my transitioning from yellow to green/light blue has been improving my higher tiers and mastering Tiers 6 and 7. Now at least most of my 10's are around the 50% range and some of my recent Tier 9's are well above 50%.

If I was able to raise the bar further I'd be solidly into blue territory, not far off (1750 recent). A lot of it has been down to better awareness and map positioning recently. I do agree though that there are a lot more low WN8 players to farm (and less active high-end players) which may be inflating my recent stats a bit.

As one of WaterWars students I confirm what he says.

Consistency of decision making is the key to getting better. Knowing when is the time to flex etc. I know I need to do it, the point I'm still learning is when to judge it match by match, be more consistent, and have fewer derp games.

It's simple: green players aren't consistent. 

We're a temperamental moody lot, who start to panic when the team starts to off 0-3. Every once in a while we salvage the situation, by remaining calm. 

We are calm and collective when things go according to plan, but some times we get stuck in the mode of 'that's what you're supposed to do'.

We play by experience earned, not by constantly looking for new solutions.

Have people noticed that a lot of red and yellow players seem to "forget" you are there after you go dark again? When you pop back out they have their turret pointing at a different target and they just become a free lunch then.

I used to do it myself a lot..

:-(

Probably confirmation bias. I've noticed the opposite. It's both entertaining and frustrating for a person to tunnel at you and just take damage from platoonmates while he locks you down.

Probably confirmation bias. I've noticed the opposite. It's both entertaining and frustrating for a person to tunnel at you and just take damage from platoonmates while he locks you down.

Yes at range in a corridor they will sit for flippin hours(exaggeration) and stare at your spot all whilst their team falls to pieces around them!

My exampke was more to do with a close combat situation where the player can see multiple targets....it takes next to nothing to distract them. They will turn the gun on you when you appear,you retreat,go dark again and the somehow think you've teleported somewhere else!

Greens are honestly just not that consistent.  It's annoying as fuck though when you are wanting to push a flank, you ask for help, the greens confirm it, then they fucking butcher the situation....

But in all honesty, I just assume that everyone I go up against is a fuckin super uni recent stat wise (and NOT from light tank padding).  With the amount of players on wotlabs with low overalls and super high recents that's just the assumption I have now.