Tankthief

Wn8: Green is the new Yellow

As a European playing on NA, I always wonder how large an impact higher ping has on my performance, I know it has some impact because I can tell a clear impact at times where I average 50 ping higher than usual but no idea how much exactly.

I am not certain if I agree with the original posters feelings. I have seen people of all colors and skill level do stupid shit. It is fairly easy early on in any match to point out the shitters, or at least the ones acting like it that match.  The colors can give a general idea of how people will act but I have found that you can't expect the appropriate actions to be taken by anyone, its a fucking free for all in pubbies and hopefully a fellow baddy helps you or that you platooned with some :-)

Greens are honestly just not that consistent.  It's annoying as fuck though when you are wanting to push a flank, you ask for help, the greens confirm it, then they fucking butcher the situation....

But in all honesty, I just assume that everyone I go up against is a fuckin super uni recent stat wise (and NOT from light tank padding).  With the amount of players on wotlabs with low overalls and super high recents that's just the assumption I have now.

Yes.

I am not certain if I agree with the original posters feelings. I have seen people of all colors and skill level do stupid shit. It is fairly easy early on in any match to point out the shitters, or at least the ones acting like it that match.  The colors can give a general idea of how people will act but I have found that you can't expect the appropriate actions to be taken by anyone, its a fucking free for all in pubbies and hopefully a fellow baddy helps you or that you platooned with some :-)

Yes.

Just last night I watched a blue in a T25/2 fire 18 shots. 8 hit. 3 penned. He fire these 18 shots with his ass pointed at the enemy tank which was a hulldown wz-120. If it weren't for the fact that his stats were blue, I'd have assumed it was a bot.

There is another phenomenon at play, although it is probably  not all that prevalent.

In my case I have up to 6+ people playing this account. My son who is 8yrs old (he doesn't get to play a lot) , My 2 nephews 12yrs old and 13yrs old (they play quite a bit). Some of my nephews friends play also (not quite sure how much they play). yes they all play from their own computers and have there own clients downloaded. I also have a friend who stays over every 3 months or so and the whole weekend when he isn't seeing his kids (he is divorced and lives out of town)  he is playing WOT on my account. I really don't care that much about stats and I find the grind is much easier when you distribute the work load. Between all these people we clocked up about 18k games in just over 1 year. What is the result of all that.

4TR96hw.png

Have you ever seen anything more ugly?

I changed the password a while back and concentrated on stats. I got to about 59% recent wr and 2700 recent wn8, I would say this is probably the peak I will ever achieve and am resigend to only ever being an average player. Anyway what I found was that I was completely bored and stopped enjoying the game (don't know how you guys can pull your unicum numbers and still like to play). I gave my nephews and their friends access again because I just couldn't maintain the rage. Also this is completely solo. None of the players who play this account platoon. The account has had about 40 platoon games in it's whole existence.

I have by chance exclusively played the last 24hours  and my stats are ok in that time. 

RgyH2pf.png

TL:DR Anyway the point of this is the Greens you are seeing might be like me. Barely "OK" players who have very bad/average grinders/other people playing their accounts and you might be running into them.

Incidentally the bad recent wr was because I stopped playing completely for about 4 weeks and the others have had the account all to themselves. I have a casual reroll on NA now and am only back playing this SEA account to grind xp in my amx 1390 so I can get the amx 30 when it pops up.

There is another phenomenon at play, although it is probably  not all that prevalent.

In my case I have up to 6+ people playing this account. My son who is 8yrs old (he doesn't get to play a lot) , My 2 nephews 12yrs old and 13yrs old (they play quite a bit). Some of my nephews friends play also (not quite sure how much they play). yes they all play from their own computers and have there own clients downloaded. I also have a friend who stays over every 3 months or so and the whole weekend when he isn't seeing his kids (he is divorced and lives out of town)  he is playing WOT on my account. I really don't care that much about stats and I find the grind is much easier when you distribute the work load. Between all these people we clocked up about 18k games in just over 1 year. What is the result of all that.

4TR96hw.png

Have you ever seen anything more ugly?

I changed the password a while back and concentrated on stats. I got to about 59% recent wr and 2700 recent wn8, I would say this is probably the peak I will ever achieve and am resigend to only ever being an average player. Anyway what I found was that I was completely bored and stopped enjoying the game (don't know how you guys can pull your unicum numbers and still like to play). I gave my nephews and their friends access again because I just couldn't maintain the rage. Also this is completely solo. None of the players who play this account platoon. The account has had about 40 platoon games in it's whole existence.

I have by chance exclusively played the last 24hours  and my stats are ok in that time. 

RgyH2pf.png

TL:DR Anyway the point of this is the Greens you are seeing might be like me. Barely "OK" players who have very bad/average grinders/other people playing their accounts and you might be running into them.

Incidentally the bad recent wr was because I stopped playing completely for about 4 weeks and the others have had the account all to themselves. I have a casual reroll on NA now and am only back playing this SEA account to grind xp in my amx 1390 so I can get the amx 30 when it pops up.

i doubt that there are that many accounts with multiple people playing them to warrant that lots of greens have sub par players bringing down their accounts

i doubt that there are that many accounts with multiple people playing them to warrant that lots of greens have sub par players bringing down their accounts

I know among the people who got me started on this game it was a 100% strike rate that multiple people played accounts. Although that is a small subset of 5 accounts. but yeah I did say it was relatively rare. 

I got more time watching then playing (monitoring hours at work lol) so what i can add to the discussion is: There is bad, passive players that run to base once they think they lost and farm some last damage which results in green wn8, they are still bad.

There is people learning the game being overly agressive (thats the tomato mistakes which u mention) but sometimes succeeding which results in green stats.

Where is a lot in between and still, there aint that many greens in the games so....whatever :D

To give the logical answer, you improved and therefore u wait for others to make mistakes more therefore u see them doing them more often and u can punish them more often.

PS: a friend of mine lets his niece play sometimes (7years old), i dunno if thats an offense to the rules but hey she does 700wn8 or so which is not that bad and he let me play a lot of games too before i started an own account.

Unless someone has 1600 I will pretty much disgregard them. If they have 2000, Ill keep my eyes up, if they have 2900+ I pay some fucking attention.

1600 really does seem to be the mark of a dangerous player yet also a tough ceiling to break.  I'm not sure what non-english speaking groups are prevalent at ~4am EST, but that's where colors seem to go all to hell.  You see 400-1800 players platooned who act like one bot organism under a hive mind. 

WN8 really seems to have it's flaws in allowing very passive players to slip through to 1 or 2 colors higher than they deserve to be.  Win rate aside, you have deep greens and blues who take the Chai snipe doctrine further than Chai and refuse to get hit even when they just have to eat one hit to win the match or kill a capper.  I've even seen a 2200 overall player in a 2000 min clan do this in an E100, of course his win rate was 52%. 

You have 3 types of greens.

- The "Consistently Average": For every map they have a specific shedule regardless of any variable. You can rely on them to be adequate at their familiar play, but zero flexibility.

- The "Derpers": Try different ideas, though they lack experience in these spots. Sometimes the idea wasn't bad, but the execution failed. Generally you can rely on them when asking for aid or when a push is needed. Since they are used to not having a set plan, they can adapt their play. Characterized by frequent occurrence of blue/purple, but also full potato games. Some will learn from their mistakes and learn to evaluate possible opportunities.

- The "Failed Padder": You should have known and watched tank specific winrate + average tier.

Personally

I'm a "Derper". I learn from my mistakes, I evaluate why my move failed.

E.g. I've learned how to move into town on Live Oaks from North a while ago, without overextending and getting rekt. Sadly it costed me some derps. Including a 50 100 game, for which I apologized to Rexxie who was part of that learning process. 

To be honest, the skill difference (in any game) by percentile can be mapped exponentially. The people in the top 10% are 10 times better than people in the top 50%. The people in the top 1% are 10 times better than the people in the top 10%. The people in the top .01% are 1000 times better than the people in the top 1%. This might sound strange if it's the first time you've heard it, but in reality it rings truer than you'd think.

The reverse side of the curve is that the skill difference between red-green players really isn't that large. It's actually pretty small.

My general rule of thumb is this

Green: Will do something consistently dumb but will at least pen a few shots

Teal: Padded to teal or not? Clan tags generally make a difference. Otherwise, they're greenies

Blues: See teal

Yellows: Food, but they're unpredictable

Reds: Food, utterly predictable to do something dumb in an engagement. When Im able to perma-track your E100 in an IS7?...

1600 really does seem to be the mark of a dangerous player yet also a tough ceiling to break. 

This is basically the story of my life in regards to this game.  My recent has been hovering around this number for months now and I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to escape from this plateau.

I have to agree with the general premise of this thread also, simply because of the fact that I'm green and I'm terrible.  I have multiple 0 damage games every single play session, average damage is below my HP for anything tier 7 and up, and my 1-2 purple damage games of a session are meaningless because I didn't react fast enough to see a failing flank and we still lost.  This level of play should not qualify me as "good" by any metric and I legitimately feel bad when actual skilled players get stuck with me on their team and may think they can depend on me.  Would rather show up as yellow because I think that's certainly more accurate to my real ability.

Just my thoughts. From talking to a good deal of greens I see something I don't see in ANY other color. Green seems to be the ceiling/goal for a good bit of players. Getting to green, players generally care and try harder butwhen they get there they seem to relax their play. It's like being purple is just too much work and they will only try when they are in danger of losing green status. For me, I see greens less consistent than all others.It seems as if green produces complacency, almost as if it's the "I'm good enough" mark. I could be way off but as I said, this is what I've gathered from talking to quite a few greens.

Ps: I can see this being possible with me as well if I couldn't break into the blue zone, I would get comfortable and complacent as green. Please don't stone me :)

Just my thoughts. From talking to a good deal of greens I see something I don't see in ANY other color. Green seems to be the ceiling/goal for a good bit of players. Getting to green, players generally care and try harder butwhen they get there they seem to relax their play. It's like being purple is just too much work and they will only try when they are in danger of losing green status. For me, I see greens less consistent than all others.It seems as if green produces complacency, almost as if it's the "I'm good enough" mark. I could be way off but as I said, this is what I've gathered from talking to quite a few greens.

Ps: I can see this being possible with me as well if I couldn't break into the blue zone, I would get comfortable and complacent as green. Please don't stone me :)

When I joined Wotlabs in december getting green was my goal. Unfortunately my goal changed a couple of times since then.

Now my goal is blue overall and light purple recent, I hope I get comfortable and complacent then, since that is my true lazy-ass goal :)

What makes players good in any game, boils down to 5 deceivingly simple rules:

1) Moving and acting.

2) Thinking before you start moving and acting.

3) Thinking during moving and acting.

4) Being able to move and act whilst thinking.

5) Having sufficient knowledge to enable 2) and 3).

Number 5) rarely causes issue for greens. For me, 2) and 4) are difficult.

Really? I think 5) is probably the most difficult. I do a lot of thinking before and during the action, it's just that a lot of my thoughts end up being flat out wrong. Tanks where I don't expect them, no tanks where I'm aiming, Why in the hell are all my allies going THAT way???

Really? I think 5) is probably the most difficult. I do a lot of thinking before and during the action, it's just that a lot of my thoughts end up being flat out wrong. Tanks where I don't expect them, no tanks where I'm aiming, Why in the hell are all my allies going THAT way???

With knowledge I mean mechanics and knowing possible angles.

What you describe seems bad judgement / thinking, not a lack of game knowledge.

Prediction is the thinking process that implements knowledge & experience into likelyhood estimates.

I don't know mates. There are so many answers as there are people. You can't generalize that.

Just take me for instance. I played 3K games deeply red, like most.

Then I easily got a dark green overall without even trying. I played 15K games without thinking about anything and not really trying to actively learn.

Which got me dark green.

It is only the last 3K games that I am trying actively to improve and learn. Teal recent came fast and easily.

Dark blue seems to also not be terribly hard. If I really try, I can consistently play light purple sessions.

What I want to say: I am green, most of my high tier tanks look terrible (if you look at the win rate).

But since 3K games I am really playing much better. All my new tanks have good stats.

You can't judge people by those colors alone, because everyone is different and has a different story to tell.

With the prevalence of low tier stat padding and the ease in which people with knowledge can increase stats I am surprised the weight these numbers are often given. That being said, and as I always ask people who whine about how much focus is placed on WN8, "What other metric do we have to use?"

I go on and platoon at ~70%+ win rate 2500+ WN8 with people of the same skill level as I and then playing solo I get ~52-56%.and ~1950 WN8.  With such a discrepancy in numbers due to the sole fact that I have a platoon I find it hard to take most stats systems seriously. Too easy to abuse whether it is by platoon play, playing selected times of the day, meta tank-only play, rerolling, or some other factors.

This is basically the story of my life in regards to this game.  My recent has been hovering around this number for months now and I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to escape from this plateau.

I have to agree with the general premise of this thread also, simply because of the fact that I'm green and I'm terrible.  I have multiple 0 damage games every single play session, average damage is below my HP for anything tier 7 and up, and my 1-2 purple damage games of a session are meaningless because I didn't react fast enough to see a failing flank and we still lost.  This level of play should not qualify me as "good" by any metric and I legitimately feel bad when actual skilled players get stuck with me on their team and may think they can depend on me.  Would rather show up as yellow because I think that's certainly more accurate to my real ability.

play more 1390

play more 1390

Just find a tank you like with low expected damage. Play a lot and watch your perty numbas go upz..... DER..r...r..r.rr.r.rr..... *DROOLS*

Not rocket scientist doodz....

- looking at http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8scale chart, we currently have more green than yellow players. Should this be accurate? Is our perception on those player correct?

If, by definition, yellow is the colour of an average palyer, he should go from 1300 to 1500. Greens, should begin beyond the curve peak.

And that's all.