Tankthief

Wn8: Green is the new Yellow

To be honest, the skill difference (in any game) by percentile can be mapped exponentially. The people in the top 10% are 10 times better than people in the top 50%. The people in the top 1% are 10 times better than the people in the top 10%. The people in the top .01% are 1000 times better than the people in the top 1%. This might sound strange if it's the first time you've heard it, but in reality it rings truer than you'd think.

The reverse side of the curve is that the skill difference between red-green players really isn't that large. It's actually pretty small.

KL,you are cool and all, but that is self aggrandizement writ large.  Why not 1,000,000 times better?  1000 times better, bullhockey.  Better, yes.  Noticeably better, yes.  1000 times.....good lord, people love nice round numbers, you know?

Purple is the new tomato, orange is the new banana, red is the new blue, blue is the new plum. Everyone is a potato. Eet dert and get shit on to be betta.... 

play more 1390

Just find a tank you like with low expected damage. Play a lot and watch your perty numbas go upz..... DER..r...r..r.rr.r.rr..... *DROOLS*

Not rocket scientist doodz....

I feel like you two are missing his point.  He doesn't want artificially inflated stats.  He wants to be better, and for the stats to reflect his actual ability.  

No such thing as artificially inflated stats considering the way the system works now. Abusing your ability in certain situations toward your own advantage isn't fake, it is just dishonest. Stats are the worst way to determine skill, but it is better than any other method.

Also, 'being good' is a fucking terrible way to approach anything. I feel like people often need life lessons when it comes to achieving goals, no one good at anything sets out to achieve something with one singular thought, 'get gud.'  Gotta break it up, set some specific goals, use and achieve obtainable metrics, and mostly have some fucking fun.

No such thing as artificially inflated stats...

...says the guy who explains how to pad stats

...to a guy who feels his rating is already inflated to the point of being a liability.

Read his post again:

"I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to escape from this plateau"

Encouraging someone who says that to play stat padding tanks is profoundly missing the point.  He doesn't want to fake being better, or else he wouldn't have said:

"I legitimately feel bad when actual skilled players get stuck with me on their team and may think they can depend on me."

tumblr_mgwhadrDzp1qzlxs9o1_250.gif

It is infinitely more likely that you are either:

1) back peddling from a lame argument

2) really bad at sarcasm

The reason you see some greens and even blues perform poorly is because they prioritize damage over everything else, resulting in stupid play, worse damage then if they didn't focus on damage, and losses

I recommend you stop taking yourself so seriously.

I recommend you stop posting because you're shit at it.

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/forum/35-shenanigans/

Here.

WaterWar, on 24 Mar 2015 - 7:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Thisthisthissomuchthis is why I was permagreen-ish before I won the game. 

Exactly.. Watching Zeven/Blue/sela etc. You will see them go to different places at the start of a game even on the same map. Something I rarely do. Zeven explained that he was looking at the enemy tank structure and was basing his initial moves on that. You will see similar patterns from all the purples.

Many have already won the battle before the timer has counted down because they will move into position based on the initial analysis of both teams.  I see this time and time again on streams, shame I can't replicate it.

The reason you see some greens and even blues perform poorly is because they prioritize damage over everything else, resulting in stupid play, worse damage then if they didn't focus on damage, and losses

Do you feel this is a product of his/her own emphasis on damage or the result of bad mentoring or examples?

Do you feel this is a product of his/her own emphasis on damage or the result of bad mentoring or examples?

Its a product of the #1/2 metric in this game being extremely based off damage, and Kewei cock slapping people with his Epeen whenever he can. Which is made of damage. 

Damage is also important to winning, like at the level you are more damage is almost always better, but past the mid uni level it just doesnt matter.

Also tank choice matters wayyyyyyyy to much in wn8 since expecteds are all over the place/Mediums farm better if you are good vs. Heavies win more generally or are at least easier to win more in. 

Exactly.. Watching Zeven/Blue/sela etc. You will see them go to different places at the start of a game even on the same map. Something I rarely do. Zeven explained that he was looking at the enemy tank structure and was basing his initial moves on that. You will see similar patterns from all the purples.

Many have already won the battle before the timer has counted down because they will move into position based on the initial analysis of both teams.  I see this time and time again on streams, shame I can't replicate it.

Yep, that's one of the things badly missing from my arsenal. I can not analyze enemy teams and choose positions accordingly, I pretty much know of only one way to play a map and when that fails, so do I, generally speaking.

I thought this was an interesting topic, so apologies for the semi-resurrection, appropriate weekend for it though!

I'm a newer player and also a new (barely) green. I feel like I have some insight into why our performance can seem so awful to actual good players.

As a new guy I have issues with inexperience (map knowledge, where to be and when, when to back off), and dying much more often than I should (bad decisions, over-aggression, bad trades, etc.). Hopefully these improve with time, but what they lead to is a ton of inconsistency.

In the space of a session I'll have great games, decent games, mediocre games, and awful games with a much larger spread than a good player. To illustrate this see here: http://imgur.com/84Apojk for my games today (mostly tier 5ish right now). I expect that reducing the ratio of bad/mediocre games to good ones (not dying early!) would have a huge impact on my overall stats. 

But in any case it will be the games where things go badly that stand out more to people rather than the ones where a green player plays at a green (or better) level.

TLDR: Green guys have their moments but can't be depended on due to inconsistency (and general derp) :)

KL,you are cool and all, but that is self aggrandizement writ large.  Why not 1,000,000 times better?  1000 times better, bullhockey.  Better, yes.  Noticeably better, yes.  1000 times.....good lord, people love nice round numbers, you know?

That's not Kraft's ego talking, that's how percentile statistics work.  When you get to the top and very top, 0.1% difference can be several orders of magnitude more than when your around the 50% mark depending on the number of people involved.

Assuming skill is a defined and measurable thing that fits into the current formula, which it isn't: That's why it sounds stupid.

As for green being the new yellow, that's basically because it is after the WN8 change some time ago. Now you're green at 900, whereas 1000 used to be yellow.

WN8, as a statistic, is easy to pad if you do 5 minutes of research.  What I see is a lot of rear line camping, doing more than the expected value of a tank, especially in light tanks.  Winning is secondary.  You don't develop any situational awareness skills, map awareness skills, etc.  You learn to hit targets and your stats are Blue/Green.

Being in the top .1 percentile does not mean being 1000 times better than anyone. It could be more, or less, depending on the variance of your population.

Being in the .1 percentile means people of your skill level are 100 times more rare than people in the 10th percentile - but it tells you absolutely nothing quantitative about your relative skill with regard to those players.

Edit: The straight WN8 comparison is a much more appropriate tool for relative skill comparison than the percentile (i.e.: a 4k WN8 player contributes about 4x more towards winning than a 1k WN8 player - on average).