ArmouredTyrant

Thought process behind keeping tanks

So I guess you could say I suffer from a disorder, a very specific one, whereby I struggle to know which tanks to keep and which to sell, which to grind for and which to ignore, to the point it's becoming quite an expensive condition. I was hoping to gain some insight on how you determine if a tank has a place in your garage or not and what it is that solidifies it's place there. Likewise how you plan your future grinds and what it is that makes you do it. My thought process at the minute is thus:

1. If its a tank I'm going to enjoy playing based on similar other tanks grind it and keep it if it was fun.
  2. If its a tank which i won't necessarily enjoy in pubs, but has a use in CW/SH keep it
  3. If its a rare tank and hardly seen it must be worth having (e.g. T95E2) even though by all accounts it's sub-par. 

But then at the same time i find myself looking at the 121 and 430 and even though I loathe tanks with bad gun depression, I have them on my to do list just so I'll have done all the medium tanks even though in all likelihood I'll hate the grind.

Likewise I see unicums playing certain tanks which I know i won't necessarily enjoy, but there must be a reason they're playing them surely.... so should i be looking to get them too?

I understand this is a little bit of a superficial issue, but any resolution would be gratefully received.

Armoured

I just sell them at 200 games out of OCD habit. WRs are rounded down btw. 

The AMX50B really is a black spot on my record. Gave up around 100 games and just yoloderped from 65% and 4.3k DPG to 63% and 4.1k DPG b/c 70% was just impossible from thereon. MoE dropped from 100% to 95% as a result. Really do regret it. 

There's about less than 100 platooned games out of all these games BTW - it's pretty much all solo. 

u2EaFEA.png

cvibHKS.png

e2X4s0k.png

I played all kinds of tanks regardless of how much they did not suit my preferred playstyle simply to learn new things and improve as a player. Now I am comfortable with a wide variety of tanks and choose my keepers purely by replayability (i.e. fun, plus a few obligatory CW/SH tanks).

(I've moved this out of the purple poaster area, as this is not something only purples can answer. :))

What I define as a keeper tank is a tank that I enjoy and that I know that I will be playing more, even after I've ground it out. If a tank has a unique playstyle I am more keen on saving it, but if it is close to another tank I already own (example would be M26 Patton and Centurion 7/1) then I will most likely not keep both of them.

I never sell tanks.

I used to sell them, thinking the cash injection was worth it. I've learned this is foolish. You never know when you may want to play something again.

The only tanks I sell are ones I truly despise playing. Challenger, IS8 and 54E1 spring to mind. I'll still keep my Tiger P, Black Prince and King Tiger though. I'll maybe play a couple games per year, but it's nice to have them.

PS I have a hoarder mentality. Don't listen to me.

My thought process regarding keeping tanks:

1. Will I need it for a future grind? (T-34, T54, etc)
  2. Is it a t10?
  3. Will I need it for tournaments? (I usually try to keep at least one "best-in-class" vehicle of each class t5+)
  4. Is it enjoyable enough that I'm likely to continue playing it even after I've moved on?

If the answer to any of the above is 'yes', I keep.  Otherwise, I sell.

2. Is it a t10?
  3. Will I need it for tournaments? (I usually try to keep at least one "best-in-class" vehicle of each class t5+)
  4. Is it enjoyable enough that I'm likely to continue playing it even after I've moved on?

Pretty much this, even though I'm seriously tempted to sell my IS-4 due to not playing it and the JagE100 since I lack a crew.

It really is situational, the best thing is to think if you like the tank and if you are likely to play it oiften! (my examples at the moment would be the E75 and the Obj. 430 version II, in the past the T54 and the M4 were like this, going to sell the T54 soon enough since the Obj. 430 v II is in my garage).

If I could I would keep all the tanks I played, but the lack of good crews to put in all of them kills me, I can't be asked to grind a new crew most of the times!

Yeah, crews are the problem. I try to keep tanks I do well in and enjoy. But I also keep tanks from T5 up so that I have at least one of each type (except I don't play arty). I mostly play solo, but sometimes 'toon with friends and like to be able to play whatever tier they are grinding. So I find that I never have enough good crews.

I believe that doing well in a tank is a big part of enjoyment. I'm still grinding a few lines still, but if you look at the WR of tanks still in my garage, there aren't many below 60%. I like to drive thanks I can win in. Those are my keepers. Sometimes those are also useful tanks in other ways. But I don't keep tanks I don't enjoy just because they are useful in SH or something.

I used to sell every tank after I had unlocked the new one unfortunately that has led me to rebuy tanks I had had previously because since my stopping playing in 2012 and now they moved some of the tech tree about. So I have an elite tank with two tanks after it I never unlocked.

Now I've let my natural hoarding instincts take over and I never sell any tanks any more.

Anything below Tier 7 gets out of my garage if its not a premium or for a grind. (ELC and T67 keepers tho) T8-9 tanks are usually keepers unless they are shit and the T10 of that line is just better. Never sold a T10 yet. (RIP old artyscum T92)

For me, pretty much everything everyone said above, except for the hoarders. I specifically keep the fun tanks and those useful in CW/SH/etc., as well as all tier 10s, and I never sell any premiums, even the low tier freebies. I seldom play the T7 or LTP and others but occasionally when I get in the mood I'll hop into one or more of them and grind more XP for a specific tank crew in low tiers. It can be fun, especially in the truly OP low tier premiums like the Tetrarch.

As for fun tanks, I absolutely surprised myself about a month ago when I got the VK 30.01 (H). I played Blitz a bit when it first came out and decided to try some tanks there that I haven't in WOT. Leveled up to the VK in Blitz and said "HOLY COW!!" what a great sniper this is! So started up the German heavy line in my main WOT account and stopped at the VK. Free XPed to the big gun and now I'm having a fantastic time. Little tier 5 tank, slow with not much armor, but does bounce a lot more than I thought it would, and that gun pens everything all the time. 84+% w/r, which is pretty damned good for me, even at a lower tier.

On the other side of things, I am in the process of truly grinding through some tanks that I do not like just to get to some that I do like (played them in my alt account). Up the French heavy line, for instance. Or some of the soft German TDs (St. Emil and its predecessors are nice, but just too damned slow) to get to the tier 8 and eventually 10.

As an aside, I played my Hellcat for the first time in probably 2-3 months yesterday. Since the massive nerf I couldn't stand it. First battle back in got another Ace Mastery badge. Was thinking of selling it and transferring the 3 skill crew to something else in the U.S. line that I like, but yesterday changed that altogether.

To sum up: Keepers should be fun and/or useful. And useful can mean useful in non-pubbie venues (CW, SH, etc.) or for a grind. Otherwise, unless you're a hoarder, why bother keeping it?

I went and bought about 150 garage slots when they were on for 100 gold, so I don't sell tanks anymore. I keep every single tank I buy. Does that mean I play all of them? Hell no. If I ever feel the need to play them though, I have them. If I need them for a tournament of some kind, I have them. 

2. Is it a t10?

Sorphius' list pretty much hit it on the head for me. 

It's all about how the camo looks. Some tanks really stretch those patterns out.....

Sweet, yeah that should help.

Ok then, what about future lines? Do you guys have OCD about doing every medium line? Or getting every tank of a certain type. Or do you purely base it on whether you think you'll enjoy it based on stats on paper. 

My previous point still holds true also, I see unicums in 121's and I've read numerous times that the 121 is about the worst medium tank at t10, so the question remains why play it? And why aren't I playing it?

E7yX6ZvDlYmEE.gif

If I didn't have fun in it during the grind up then I sell it. 

My problem is I have fun in most tanks. Exceptions were the T-28.. which was the first tank I used free xp to get the next tier. And everything before the VK 36.01H. 

Ok then, what about future lines? Do you guys have OCD about doing every medium line? Or getting every tank of a certain type. Or do you purely base it on whether you think you'll enjoy it based on stats on paper. 

My previous point still holds true also, I see unicums in 121's and I've read numerous times that the 121 is about the worst medium tank at t10, so the question remains why play it? And why aren't I playing it?

I choose my grinds based on whether I think I'll enjoy it and whether I think I'll need it.  As for the 121, well... it's not so much that it's "bad" per se -- at least not like, for example, the FV4202.  The 121's problem is that it has an extraordinarily high skill floor.  Players who can account for its lack of depression while still managing to abuse the turret are rewarded with what amounts to a heavy's gun and turret on a medium's chassis.  The problem is that so few people know how to properly play it that it ends up with a reputation for mediocrity.

I keep tanks that look good.

Seriously, I can't really tell from most tanks I have, just what makes me perform better or worse in them. So I just keep what looks good.

It's kind of like playing third person RPGs: If you have to look at your main characters ass for 50 hours, it might as well look good.

At this point after unlocking every tank in the game I'm busy collecting every tier 7 and above. I also have som 5 and 6 keepers. I have very few lower tiers, mostly prems and Ace Tanker project tanks which I will sell when I get the ace in them. I don't really enjoy the tiers below 5 except for the occasional yolo chaos derp excursion to remind of why I don't care for them.

keeper tanks

prem/gift tanks... keep them no mater how bad they are they aren't worth the paltry amount of silver I would get from selling them...

I try to have at least 1 tank from every tier... lets me play with my step brother and my son or anyone else I might platoon with.

they are super fun... matilda is a keeper even though I haven't played it in months... there are others I've kept in the garage but gotten rid of because I'd moved the crew up and decided it wasn't worth putting a new crew in (ie ez8... i LOVE that tank but after 300+ battles in it I don't care to work another crew up for it as I likely won't play it much in the future.

potential use for clan modes... I have a number of tier6 stronghold viable tanks, while I have my own prefrences if the caller wants different makeup I can do it... working on similar for a decent option of tier8 stronghold options.

only up to tier8 (researched 1 tier9 and waiting on funds to buy)...  

Without fail i keep tier 8/9/10 unless i despise the crap out of that tank ( SU101 i'm looking at you :S )

I'd go by keeping:

• Any Tank you really really enjoy. For me its the Rhm. Borsig, T54 and charioteer. Never selling them under any circumstance, I just enjoy playing them
  • Tier 10's, as they are have the most time and silver  invested in them. Even if you rage at it, don't sell it as you will have to grind the credits back at some point.
  • Any other useful tanks like tier 6/8 competitive play tanks (And more importantly not only keeping, but keeping good crews in)
  • Premiums 

In regards to playing tanks you see unicums driving and other players doing well in, Have a think to whether it suits your play style and go for it if you think you enjoy similar tanks. Taking the 121 for example, i don't have it yet, but want it and i'm grinding towards it as i love the T-34-3 and can live with the god awful gun depression. Other people though hate tanks with that little gun depression and struggle so I wouldn't recommend it to them. 

But I'm a hoarder... and have way too many tanks and garage slots so i struggle to part with tanks when i run out of garage slots!